TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Weeds - Season 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 01:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts
Weeds - Season 5 Thread

I guess a lot of people have bailed on this show since the weekly threads haven't been getting many replies.

I really don't want to see Nancy and Andy together as a couple.

They've pretty much run out of things to do with Celia at this point it seems and this show needs more Doug and Dean.
Old 06-30-09, 09:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Weeds - Season 5 Thread

I used to love this show when it took place in Agrestic (sp?) and everyone was in the same place. I understand the formula wore thin pretty quickly so they had to change it up--that's fine. Now I just think they've reinvented it so many times that it isn't fun anymore. It's become a chore to watch. Yeah, there are still funny scenes here and there, but for the most part it has just become really tedious and plodding for me. I've been there since day 1 and I'm not ready to bail yet, but when this show finally ends, I don't think I'll be too upset.

What really made me see how far this show has fallen was when I started watching Breaking Bad. That show is everything Weeds wishes it was. I just hope TPTB behind Breaking Bad have been watching Weeds and taking notes about what NOT to do.
Old 06-30-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm enjoying it much more than last year. The new bodyguard was funny.
Old 06-30-09, 03:52 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

lovin' the new season.
Old 06-30-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This was the first episode of the season that flew by for me. The new bodyguard was cracking me up. Plus, Shane getting schooled at school was good for a laugh.
Old 07-06-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so, after this episode, are we supposed to assume that:

Spoiler:
Esteban killed Roy Till?

it seems like an odd storyline to have, to basically have it be only 3 scenes or so. Maybe more details are to come...

-jason
Old 07-07-09, 10:39 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I assumed that as well. Not 100% sure though.
Old 07-07-09, 11:26 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I've grown tired of the Celia character....

Thos.
Old 07-07-09, 11:27 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Thos19
I've grown tired of the Celia character....

Thos.
I think that's the point.
Old 07-07-09, 11:43 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this season sucks. I miss Conrad and Mahalia too.
Old 07-07-09, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Andy is great but I'm getting kinda tired of the show. Even Doug is stopping to be funny.
Old 07-07-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This season has been the weakest thus far. I love the show, I'm in the minority that loved season 4, but I'm starting to think its time to wrap it up.
Old 07-07-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

This season isn't very good... much like the 3rd and 4th seasons.

It feels like they're just throwing everything out there to see what sticks, and so far nothing is sticking. The show is barely about weed anymore. I don't feel sorry for any of the characters since they seem to make light of the very serious situations they're in. Sure from time to time Nancy voices her concerns of their situation, but then she barely reacts when people are killed all around her.

The tone of this season really gives me the impression that it's the last one - at least I hope it is. I'm only watching now because I've invested enough time with the show that I want some kind of payoff at the end.
Old 07-07-09, 07:55 PM

Nancy has become someone that the audience just cannot sympathize with. She's responsible for her own misery and instead of doing something, anything, to change the situations she finds herself in, she seems to do everything she can to make everything worse.

It was great to see Andy call her out on it last night, in all seriousness and without a tinge of humor. Wonderful scene. However, Nancy's actions immediately afterward just demonstrated even further how badly they've fucked with her character and made her just as monstrous as everyone else.

I'll never tire of Celia. Bitch is funny. "DEAD MEXICAN!!"
Old 07-08-09, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just started watching this season, so I can't comment on how the show has gone downhill. I've enjoyed it so far and going by the comments here will definitely go back and watch it from the beginning.
Old 07-09-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by golden_rod
Nancy has become someone that the audience just cannot sympathize with. She's responsible for her own misery and instead of doing something, anything, to change the situations she finds herself in, she seems to do everything she can to make everything worse.

It was great to see Andy call her out on it last night, in all seriousness and without a tinge of humor. Wonderful scene. However, Nancy's actions immediately afterward just demonstrated even further how badly they've fucked with her character and made her just as monstrous as everyone else.

I'll never tire of Celia. Bitch is funny. "DEAD MEXICAN!!"
I was saying much the same thing to a friend recently. Nancy is not someone you can really identify with anymore and the decision to move into that guys house just verifies that.

They can't seem to figure out what to do with Celia.
Old 07-09-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So far, so weak. I still look forward to tuning in each week, but I think that's only because I don't watch much TV, so without this show I have even less to watch. It's become so far removed from the show that I loved that it has none of the qualities I used to enjoy.

Well, aside from Nancy.
Old 07-10-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sigh. I know it's really the point of her character, but I'm really starting to tire of Celia's vacillating between poor pathetic wretch and evil bitch. I'm really starting to wish thay had sold her organs off...

-jason
Old 07-10-09, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally, I don't think there is a more unlikable protagonist than Nancy on television. Vic Mackey (The Shield) and Walt White (Breaking Bad) are horrible people, but there is still some part of me rooting for them. With Nancy, all I want anymore is to see is her locked up or dead. Either option would be better for her kids.

Good character development should make you feel at least a small amount of sympathy towards the main character, even when they are the worst scum on the planet. Unfortunately, Weeds has lost that with Nancy.
Old 07-10-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dino88
Personally, I don't think there is a more unlikable protagonist than Nancy on television. Vic Mackey (The Shield) and Walt White (Breaking Bad) are horrible people, but there is still some part of me rooting for them. With Nancy, all I want anymore is to see is her locked up or dead. Either option would be better for her kids.

Good character development should make you feel at least a small amount of sympathy towards the main character, even when they are the worst scum on the planet. Unfortunately, Weeds has lost that with Nancy.
I don't mind dark characters or even ones you may not always like but Nancy, well it's really hard to sympathise with anything she does these days.
Old 07-11-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 843 Likes on 589 Posts

Since it was mentioned, I have to ask - what was the whole point to Celia being kidnapped storyline? S4 ended with it, so I thought it would be one of the major storylines - but nothing came of it.
I thought at least it would re-introduce Quinn back to the show, but she didn't even stay for the whole kidnapping thing. So basically Celia gets kidnapped, her cancer makes he useless for organs - they try to get ransom money but noone cares and she annoys Quinn's husband so he sends her back to the US. It wasn't funny or interesting and all we got out of it is that noone cares what happens to Celia - which we already knew.

Also, Jennifer Jason Leigh's role was pretty damn small and useless and was there a point to Alanis Morrisette's cameo?
Old 07-12-09, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^I have a feeling the Celia's storyline was a set-up for something later in the season. Something involving the rebels vs the government/Esteban.

Give that one a chance, we're not even halfway through the season. There's plenty of other things about the show that deserve criticism.
Old 07-12-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was really hoping Nancy would take Andy up on his offer - this Mexican shit is really starting to get old - I want Nancy back in the suburbs trying to make her way, without all this crimeboss stuff...
Old 07-12-09, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Supposedly Monday's episode is...

Spoiler:
set Six months later...

huh, OK.
Old 07-12-09, 06:33 PM

Thus show seems to be constantly spinning it's wheels. The progression of the story is almost non-existent, and the character development is terrible, save for Shane.

That said, I find myself watching every Monday night!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.