Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Help with my Onkyo 777

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help with my Onkyo 777

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-00, 05:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought onkyo777, I cannot get dolby digital light to turn on while I was watching dd movie. Please help me out what am I doing wrong. And also, do I have to program my remote first, to change from DVD, CD, VCR, Tuner etc. Thanks.
Old 05-25-00, 07:32 PM

You need to connect whatever it is your connecting via the digital input/outputs(coax or optical).

[This message has been edited by KungFuMidget (edited May 25, 2000).]
Old 05-25-00, 08:54 PM
BEC

DVD coax digital out to 777 digital coax input 1 (or DVD optical digital to chanel 3 or 4).

Make sure the connected digital input is ASSIGNED to the CORRECT video source, i.e., input 1 assigned to DVD video. Frequently, optical digital (chanel 3) is the default assignment to DVD video.

Next, put the receiver in auto input mode - for a given video source, the receiver will choose among it's assigned audio inputs w/digital having the highest priority and direct analog being the lowest.

Then make sure the DVD disk is recorded in Dolby Digital 5.1 and that you select DD5.1 in the disk's menu and in the DVD player's own menu/guide.

Make sure the DSP's are turned off and you are listening to direct DD - one of the receiver's I used had the DD/DTS light turn off when I turned on a DSP. Can't remember if that was Onkyo, Denon, ... There have been so many passing through my home.

The second question is vague: no, the remote doesn't have to be programmed to switch between it's inputs. It does have to be programmed to operate the other devices.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 25, 2000).]
Old 05-25-00, 09:36 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks,I will try it tonight.
Old 05-26-00, 03:52 PM
Cool New Member

After I connected my DVD with the fiber optic digital cable the onkyo 777 recognized the DD signals. However I could not get DTS to work. I tried playing Out of Sight DTS, but there is no sound. Please Help. Thanks.
Old 05-26-00, 10:28 PM
BEC

At least DD comes on ...

For DTS, the SAME procedure:

Select DTS for the DVD PLAYER's menu/guide. (which DVD player do you have?)

Put Out of Sight into the DVD player. In the disk's selection menu, select audio. Select DTS.

Select Auto input for the Onkyo (it will recognize DTS vs DD). There is a DTS/DD key on the Onkyo control as well.