Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

HELP! Toshiba 2108 DD sound dropouts--need suggestions!

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

HELP! Toshiba 2108 DD sound dropouts--need suggestions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-00, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi everyone...several years ago, when they were pretty new (actually, when DVD itself was still rather new) I bought a Toshiba SD2108 DVD player. The thing has been great; out of a library of over 50 titles, I've only had one movie-specific problem, and that's been with Robocop Criterion (and with an extra at that, not with the movie itself). I have a Sony STR-DE925 DD/DTS receiver powering a Klipsch 5.1 home theater.

Here's the problem--I occasionally get these quick, annoying sound dropouts when playing a movie in Dolby Digital. It usually only happens if I "interfere" with the playback of the film; in other words, if I start the movie and let it play through beginning to end uninterrupted, I'm usually ok. However, if I pause it, fast forward, chapter search, etc., then the dropouts begin.

Toshiba tells me it's in need of a firmware upgrade; when I called on this a long while back, I think it was in the neighborhood of $70 to get this done, excluding shipping costs.

So I'm thinking...given the age of the 2108 and the newer models out there, combined with the lower prices, would I just be better off selling my 2108 and putting that money toward a newer player? With a Sony receiver, would I be better off getting a Sony DVD player? I don't need a player with DD/DTS decoding built-in, as my Sony receiver does that beautifully.

I'm just trying to decide which route to take, and I'm hoping for some suggestions.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-00, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
What is the firmware version?

-sonic
Old 05-26-00, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah, I *knew* somebody was going to ask that question...I don't know what it is, but let me put it this way--I believe I bought the player back in September 1998. It's not had any kind of an upgrade since then. Does that help?

Dave
Old 05-26-00, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Damn..how time flies.

I clearly remember the release of the 2108.

wow.

Yeah..dvds now are getting more powerful.

I don't know..if I were you I would get a spanky new one. The prices are cheap.

I would go for the 2100 or 2200.

-sonic