DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Tapatalk - iPhone/iPod native support

sirshagg
06-28-09, 08:45 PM
Any chance of implementing the free server side of this app so that iphone users can take advantage?

It really make browsing the forums much easier on the iphone/ipod

see tapatalk.com (sorry can't post links yet)

Michael Corvin
06-29-09, 10:11 AM
I've never used it but making the forum more accessible on the iphone sounds good in my book.

Trevor
06-29-09, 11:48 AM
I've never used it but making the forum more accessible on the iphone sounds good in my book.
:thumbsup:

The Cow
06-29-09, 12:02 PM
Not exactly the cleanest, but there is this:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedback-support/527573-there-mobile-version-forum.html

Fok
11-06-09, 11:01 PM
An iPhone version would be great!

The Bus
11-08-09, 05:26 PM
I can attest to the fact that browsing this phone from an iPhone is ludicrous.

Deep_lurk
11-08-09, 10:36 PM

Quoting before you can correct it.

Supermallet
11-10-09, 03:26 AM

Pish posh. I have personally used the iPhone to post during Sheep games from the bathroom--some of them even run by you! So don't you tell me how ludicrous it is to browse this phone from an iPhone!

The Cow
11-10-09, 09:16 AM
Browsing isn't too bad on the iPhone. Posting is a pain.

auto
11-10-09, 09:22 PM
Browsing isn't too bad on the iPhone. Posting is a pain.I don tink it's thet bad.

;) I really don't.

auto
12-01-09, 09:49 PM
BUT....posting/reading on a BlackBerry is impossible.

lad
01-03-10, 08:29 AM
Any chance of implementing the free server side of this app so that iphone users can take advantage?

I'd like to second the request for tapatalk support for the forum. Anyone else interested?

Tarantino
01-04-10, 02:54 PM
Yes please.

Gizmo
01-04-10, 03:55 PM
Yes.

I think HighDefDigest uses it as well. Very fast.

Michael Corvin
01-07-10, 03:11 PM
Pretty sad this was started 7 months ago and still not a peep from IB.

dx23
01-09-10, 11:48 AM
From what I read, this is a simple plug in that the tech people at IB need to implement. I don't see what could cause a problem.

Flay
01-09-10, 12:54 PM
Pretty sad this was started 7 months ago and still not a peep from IB.

I want to say the HDD version is a VB plug-in, but I really don't know for sure.

I can tell you that even before the HDD upgrade was put into testing, the iPod / iPhone resolution was already in the Top 10 browsers used for the site. 7 months ago, the same wasn't true for DVDTalk.

That's changed as of the last month though. Keep pushing for it.

edytwinky
01-10-10, 09:59 PM
Some mobile version would be excellent

Moopher
01-11-10, 02:45 AM
Seriously? I'm sick of these iPhone adapted websites, I'd only be for it if EVERY feature was included. I got my iPhone so I could look at the actual Internet, not a stripped down terrible version.

The Cow
01-11-10, 12:04 PM
Seriously? I'm sick of these iPhone adapted websites, I'd only be for it if EVERY feature was included. I got my iPhone so I could look at the actual Internet, not a stripped down terrible version.

I'm pretty sure the main site would stick around for you.

Trevor
01-11-10, 12:25 PM
I'm pretty sure the main site would stick around for you.

Exactly. These mobile versions of websites can be potentially as good as the Facebook app on the iPhone. Sure, you can go to Facebook using the regular web on the phone, but it's slow as molassas compared to the app.

Moopher
01-11-10, 09:42 PM
I would hope it does, there are several sites that force the iPhone "optimized" version without the option to utilize their full website. So far the only two that have switched to their optimized versions that I like are best buy and amazon, plus they give you the option to still use the full site.

WallyOPD
01-12-10, 01:31 PM
I would hope it does, there are several sites that force the iPhone "optimized" version without the option to utilize their full website. So far the only two that have switched to their optimized versions that I like are best buy and amazon, plus they give you the option to still use the full site.

I don't have an iPhone, does it not offer a way to identify the browser as IE or Firefox to get around that?

Groucho
01-20-10, 10:52 PM
This would be good for Android users as well.

General Zod
03-25-10, 12:05 AM
Another request for this.

Chew
03-25-10, 09:15 AM
And another......

Groucho
03-25-10, 11:31 AM
I installed this for another forum; it was FREE, very easy and took a matter of minutes.

Draven
03-30-10, 12:43 AM
Another vote - I dread firing up my iPhone to check DVDTalk out. Only in emergencies. DVD emergencies.

kilcher
03-30-10, 02:01 AM
I added Tapatalk to my forum (fairly large w/ 50,000 registered members and 2.5 million posts) and it took 30 seconds and works great. Would be nice to see it here though I doubt that'll happen anytime soon. :(

Tarantino
03-30-10, 12:35 PM
Come on, IB - what the fuck? Why not do it? Obviously, it takes a minute to implement.

What's the holdup?

mkdevo
03-30-10, 12:36 PM
while i've never used TapaTalk before, i'm guessing the issue here is ads. am i correct to assume that DVDTalk's ads wouldn't show up in TT?

if that's the case, now that we're all corporate and whatnot, i'm pretty shocked IB doesn't have an iPhone app - something to browse all IB-owned forums with all necessary ads in place. seems like kind of a no-brainer to me.

then again, maybe IB is like me, and doesn't really understand the point of their company. :shrug:

Quake1028
03-31-10, 08:18 AM
Yes, get us a GD mobile site already!

al_bundy
04-12-10, 09:58 PM
good thing i found this thread before i bought it

The Cow
04-12-10, 10:41 PM
good thing i found this thread before i bought it

Agree. No one should die without seeing this thread.

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
04-14-10, 11:05 AM
I don't even have an iphone/ipad and I am shocked how the company is ignoring their users.

General Zod
04-28-10, 04:16 PM
Come on, IB - what the fuck? Why not do it? Obviously, it takes a minute to implement.

What's the holdup?

Someone there actually has to pay attention to the feedback forum?

Groucho
04-28-10, 04:19 PM
I don't even have an iphone/ipad and I am shocked how the company is ignoring their users.To be fair, only 22/36 posters in this thread are paying customers.

benedict
04-29-10, 03:30 AM
Someone there actually has to pay attention to the feedback forum?IB reps are certainly aware of the existence of this thread and I would anticipate that, on past form, someone from IB will either post here or pass on a message via a mod.

ibsteph
04-30-10, 12:30 PM
As Benedict said, we are aware of this request, and we have a mobile initiative for the site. We feel that if we're going to do it, we want to do it right, so we appreciate your patience.

General Zod
05-03-10, 02:57 PM
:up: Thanks for the feedback on the feedback. Please let us know when you are ready for beta-testers ;)

Raul3
06-07-10, 10:58 AM
Another vote here.

Nefarious
06-17-10, 10:08 AM
Here as well from an iPad & iPhone user.

auto
06-17-10, 07:51 PM
Could we at least get an update/estimated timeline please?

twikoff
06-18-10, 01:43 PM
the site is fine from the iPad, but i havent used/tried tapatalk.. is there any benefit it would bring on the iPad?

benedict
06-19-10, 06:24 PM
As Benedict said, we are aware of this request, and we have a mobile initiative for the site. We feel that if we're going to do it, we want to do it right, so we appreciate your patience.

Could we at least get an update/estimated timeline please?This is what I've been told:

For reasons of protecting the content from third party re-publishers, "tapatalk... won't be happening".

Regarding the "mobile plan" for this site, it's part of a broader (IB-wide?) initiative from which it cannot be separated. As a consequence there aren't really too many details available and it's not currently possible to provide a timeline.

FWIW: those involved - which I'm not - have said that if they could give a decent timeline they would.

auto
06-20-10, 10:36 AM
Thanks benedict.

shadowhawk2020
09-04-10, 10:49 PM
So a year and a few months later, any movement? Who says big companies are slow to change?

benedict
09-06-10, 10:23 AM
So a year and a few months later, any movement?Your comment isn't entirely accurate, given that a response was provided less than three months ago.

While it wasn't the response that some might have been hoping for, I'm not sure what is achieved when folk seem to take shots at the site owners' failure to set out their plans in public when those charged with formulating and enacting any such plans had already their position clear by way of the summary I was asked to post not so long ago.

I'll close the thread now given that IB will doubtless make an announcement when they feel it appropriate whereas any "badgering" here is unlikely to serve a constructive purpose IMO.

IB-Dick
09-08-10, 09:39 PM
I've discussed my reasons for not installing this in private with the admins, and I'll try to boil them down into two main points.

1.) The branding of DVDTalk is something that we need to have control of. Installing a third-party API allows the display and manipulation of the forum content in a way that we cannot control. While we agree with the spirit of the application, we cannot open ourselves to the liability it presents to both branding and the platform of the site.

2.) We are currently working on a solution for forum interaction on the iPhone, and have plans to work on an Android version. The work on this actually started before this thread did, and is currently in alpha testing. Has it taken a long time? Yes. However, it's taken a long time because we want to make sure that the application is first class-- and it will be. While we apologize for the delay, we're sure that it'll be worth the wait.

benedict
01-04-11, 04:50 AM
I recently happened across the following information which may be of interest to participants in this thread:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php/366629-vBulletin-iPhone-app-on-vBulletin.com?p=2071869&viewfull=1