Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Goal II: Living the Dream

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Did anybody catch this sequel to the 2005 original?

It actually hasn't been on DVD for too long over here in the States - a few months I think. It was in the "Waiting" portion of my Netflix queue for probably a good year.

Anyway, I did not enjoy this one as much as the first. Sure the key players are back, but things quickly got off to an unbalanced and slow start. I think the change from "small town" to world wide stage plays a very large part in this.

I especially didn't like the glamour aspect, but then again the point was to show "the other side" in contrast to some of the other things he experienced in the first film. I'll also add that the local aspect of the story felt contrived, especially the car chase scene. However, the aftermath of that was done very well. In fact that is where I would say the film starts to turn around. I did that time check thing a few times up front, but the last 45 minutes flew by. In fact, the film picked up so much that I was surprised to see it already finish and mad it said 'to be continued'.

I knew a third was coming, but at least at the end of part 1 they allowed for somewhat of a proper ending. Anyway, it looks like the third part is on course for this year, but that probably means it will not hit US shelves until 2011.

For those interested, a few of us discussed part 1 here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...nterested.html
Old 06-28-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Goal II: Living the Dream

I liked the sequel.

However, I've heard nothing but awful things about the third film.
Old 06-28-09, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ugh. Seriously? I just looked up the trailer for Goal 3 and kept thinking - is Saniago even in this film? Then I scrolled down and the reviews on YT were not favorable. Those of substance indicated that G1/2 were good, but this was almost a completely different series/film.

Why would you go through the trouble of making this a trilogy, leaving the second on a cliffhanger with the central character, and then turn the third into a story that resolves nothing?!
Old 06-28-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

re: the third from Wiki:
Unlike in the first two films, Roz, Glen Foy, and Gavin Harris do not feature in the film, and all actual professional footballers are shown through stock World Cup footage. The sporting role of the actors' in this film is limited to the green screen.
My interpretation: the first two films tanked compared to expectations and the last installment was slashed. The budget was cut and actors were not asked to return. Probably the only reason it was made was because Becker had a contract for 3 films.

Talk about crap. Sure the first two weren't the best films made, but there are not too many football/soccer films out there. They were a fun set and at least warranted a fitting end to the story. I definitely will not bother to check out the last installment.
Old 06-28-09, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hated this movie. Speaking of trilogies, I think Goal 3 is worse than Matrix 3, Terminator 3, Jaws 3, Rambo 3, Karate Kid 3, Home Alone 3 and Missing in action 3 all combined. I HATE this movie. I hate it so much that I want you to hate it too. That is how much I hate this movie.
http://supermonkey.wordpress.com/200...-on-the-world/

Spoilers for the plot in that link.

I'd really like to know the story behind why the third sucked so bad. Anybody have more information?