Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I need a new RPG

Old 06-28-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
I need a new RPG

As much as Left4Dead provides me with plenty of sick, demented glee, my first love in gaming is adventure/RPG games.

The problem is that the genre is almost dead and really sucks. Add to it the ANNOYING habit of game companies to put all art and cut scenes and no actual game shots on their boxes.

The final problem is the Diablo/Elder Scrolls Syndrome. Every game is a total rip of those two games. Some do it well (Titan Quest was such a Diablo rip I'm surprised Blizzard didn't sue the developer), others suck.

But I grew up playing Wizardry, Ultima and Might & Magic, or the old D&D games like Pool of Radiance, where you made a party of adventurers and went on quests. I'm tired of single player games like ES and don't like third-person Diablo rip offs. For the longest time I used EverQuest as my replacement game, since it really came the closest. I just played 4 accounts at once. That became untenable and quite frankly, I'd like to beat some SOE people with a baseball bat for what they've done to this once-great game.

Anyway... can anyone recommend a good sword and sorcery RPG game where you make a party of adventurers? And no, WoW doesn't count. I'm done with MMORPGs.
Old 06-28-09, 01:35 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: I need a new RPG

Never Winter Nights?
Old 06-28-09, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to love me some Pool of Radiance. And Hillsfar. And Champions of Krynn. And all those others.

And Quest for Glory.

But I don't know of any modern games that come close to what those were.
Old 06-28-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,019 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Traxan
As much as Left4Dead provides me with plenty of sick, demented glee, my first love in gaming is adventure/RPG games.

The problem is that the genre is almost dead and really sucks. Add to it the ANNOYING habit of game companies to put all art and cut scenes and no actual game shots on their boxes.

The final problem is the Diablo/Elder Scrolls Syndrome. Every game is a total rip of those two games. Some do it well (Titan Quest was such a Diablo rip I'm surprised Blizzard didn't sue the developer), others suck.

But I grew up playing Wizardry, Ultima and Might & Magic, or the old D&D games like Pool of Radiance, where you made a party of adventurers and went on quests. I'm tired of single player games like ES and don't like third-person Diablo rip offs. For the longest time I used EverQuest as my replacement game, since it really came the closest. I just played 4 accounts at once. That became untenable and quite frankly, I'd like to beat some SOE people with a baseball bat for what they've done to this once-great game.

Anyway... can anyone recommend a good sword and sorcery RPG game where you make a party of adventurers? And no, WoW doesn't count. I'm done with MMORPGs.
I'm assuming you're all about the PC RPGs. Console RPGs continue to come out at a decent rate (though not many great ones), PC RPGs, as with PC games in general, continue to dwindle (though they seem to be picking up again).

Anyway, there's always The Witcher (which is basically ES/Diablo clone but hey)
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/x9k1902eCXs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/x9k1902eCXs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Have you tried Mass Effect? The Last Remnant? Alien Shooter 2 (more action with RPG elements)? Fable? Fallout 3?

Oh and if you never played it, get Planescape: Torment.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-28-09 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-28-09, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't ignore Fallout 1 & 2!
Old 06-28-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I just assume everybody has played FO1/2.
Old 06-28-09, 12:49 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

The Witcher is a hell of a lot closer to being a Baldur's Gate clone than a Diablo clone. It's not as good as the Baldur's Gate games, mind you, but it's clearly in that tradition, not the Diablo tradition.

By the way, if you haven't played the Baldur's Gate series, do so now.
Old 06-28-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I just assume everybody has played FO1/2.
I haven't, but Fallout 3 has me hooked like no game has in a LONG time.
Old 06-28-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would recommend

Mass Effect
The Witcher
Fallout 3
Oblivion
Eternal Sonata (amazing visuals and music btw)
Lost Odyssey
Old 06-28-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You didn't specify a console.

Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (Original Xbox)
Oblivion (360)
Knights of the Old Republic I and II
Old 06-28-09, 10:10 PM

Assuming you haven't killed every RPG for the PS2, there are great games to be had. Most Atlus titles, Persona, DDS, Nocturne. There is also the Shadow Heart Series and Fallout3, Fable 2, Too Human (Pretty much loot game but fun 2 players.). Im sure there is more.
Old 06-29-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you have already played baldurs gate/Ice wind dale..?

If you havent, pick up those games, along with planescape torment.
Old 06-29-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JasonF
By the way, if you haven't played the Baldur's Gate series, do so now.
Yes! BG2:SOA is a top 10 game for me, even now.

There's even a widescreen / resolution mod for it now that makes it a bit more playable on bigger monitors.
Old 06-29-09, 02:04 PM
Banned

The Baldur's Gate series on PC are my favorite games of all time. They are old school D&D games (they use 2nd edition rules). I posted a few screenshots of these games using the widescreen mod in the "What old games still look good graphically" thread.

I would avoid Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the consoles. Dark Alliance is Baldur's Gate in name only. It has nothing in common with the PC games, and in fact does not really even use the D&D rules at all.
Old 06-29-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I love computer RPGs too. A lot of my favorites have been mentioned - those older Black Isle games are some of my all-time favorites.

Yeah, the whole "adventuring party" style of gaming has really disappeared recently. Now you have lots of console-style party swapping, and solo-adventurer games (and of course, the ever-present MMORPGs). I liked the Witcher (do a search to see a topic I started some time back about it) - it's a single adventurer though. But it's not a Diablo-clone, by any means. It feels more like an Oblivion style of play. I liked the first two entries in the Gothic series (haven't played the third since I heard it sucked). But again, you just have a single character.

Without going back 5+ years, there just isn't that much. One recent game that does fit the bill is Neverwinter Nights 2. I think it got unfairly crapped on by reviewers at the time of release. I thought it was a huge improvement over the 1st NWN game (which had limited party control and blocky graphics). Free user modules give you a ton of gameplay for your money - and its been out long enough for the bugs to have been worked out.

Also, as mentioned by some, you might want to think about expanding your horizons to non-fantasy RPGs. Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Vampire: The Masquerade, KOTOR I and II, etc.
Old 06-30-09, 06:27 PM

For the xbox360 I'd get Fable II, Sacred 2 and I just started playing Two Worlds. Two Worlds got slammed in reviews but so far it just ain't that bad.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-30-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I enjoyed The Witcher but that is a long ass game, I played it for months!
Old 06-30-09, 07:06 PM

Wizardry 8 is an excellent old school style RPG that will actually run on modern PCs without Dosbox, etc. If you have a Nintendo DS, Etrian Odyssey is another good RPG in that vein.
Old 07-01-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dta316
For the xbox360 I'd get Fable II, Sacred 2 and I just started playing Two Worlds. Two Worlds got slammed in reviews but so far it just ain't that bad.

Just my $0.02
i would not consider fable II a rpg.
It is more of a simulation.
Old 07-01-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by timewaster
i would not consider fable II a rpg.
It is more of a simulation.
Is that winner of a description something Molyneux grasped for while doing press for Fable II?
Old 07-01-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Boy... not much for options.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 07-02-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Boy... not much for options.