Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Harper's Island -- Episode 11 -- "Splash" -- 6/27/09

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Harper's Island -- Episode 11 -- "Splash" -- 6/27/09

This is my first TV Talk thread, so I hope I don't mess it up...

Synopsis (from tv.com)
Spoiler:
Abby confronts the killer, but the guests start thinking he may have an accomplice. Another guest dies and another goes missing.

R.I.P. so far
Spoiler:
Ben (Trish's cousin)
Uncle Marty (Henry's Uncle)
Reverend Fain
Kelly (the outcast)
Lucy (the blonde bridesmaide)
Hunter (Trish's ex)
Joel (Henry's friend-accidental death)
Thomas (Trish's father)
Richard (Trish's brother in law)
Malcolm (Henry's friend)
JD (Henry's brother)
Cole Harkin
Deputy Garrett
Beth
Katherine (Trish's Step Mom)
Sheriff Mills (Abby's Dad)
Maggie (the wedding planner)
Officer Red Shirt #1
Officer Red Shirt #2

Warning: Remember to avoid Wikipedia and other online discussions of this show until it's aired in the US. This show airs on Thursdays in Canada! Any discussion of this week's episode before Saturday should be hidden with spoiler tags.
Old 06-26-09, 09:17 PM

Re: Harper's Island -- Episode 11 -- "Splash" -- 6/27/09

I saw the episode on Canadian television, so...

Spoiler:
This was a pretty intense episode. Some really graphic deaths! Sad to see who got killed.

However, I have to say that while it makes for a decent suspense/slasher show, it failed as a Whodunit. The twists as far as the identity of the killer have been VERY predictable -- like several episodes ahead of time. There's a "twist" in this episode that I'm sure everyone saw coming a mile away. And the person who does the killing this episode was really obvious from the very first episode. I'm still holding out hope that there'll be some additional twists and are surprising and change everything.
Old 06-27-09, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another intense episode imo. Looking forward to the last 2.
Old 06-27-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stupid Trish should have shot Wakefield while he was knifefighting Jimmy
Old 06-27-09, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by NORML54601
You mean Shane. And yes, she should have.
Old 06-27-09, 09:14 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I thought Wakefield's helper was Jimmy, but now it is obviously not... it's too spelled out to simply be that. right?
Old 06-27-09, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Yeah. All she had to do was pop in when they were squaring off and start blasting.
Old 06-27-09, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
I thought Wakefield's helper was Jimmy, but now it is obviously not... it's too spelled out to simply be that. right?
I agree. I no longer think it's Jimmy. That's a shame, because he's been "the guy" in my eyes for a while now. Oh well.
Old 06-27-09, 09:29 PM

If the Sheriff had files on Jimmy indicating that he was a criminal, why was the Sheriff so trusting of him, and why trust his daughter with him?

Maybe the files are fake, planted by Wakefield?
Old 06-27-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shinobi
If the Sheriff had files on Jimmy indicating that he was a criminal, why was the Sheriff so trusting of him, and why trust his daughter with him?

That's what I want to know. The last thing the Sheriff said to Abby was to be happy with Jimmy.. (paraphrasing)

And where the hell is everyone? Did Wakefield kill the entire town??

I used to think it was Henry but now I think it's either the dreadlock guy or the blond.
Old 06-27-09, 09:36 PM

They couldn't leave the two most entertaining characters until the last two episodes? Why not kill the irritating girl and her mother?
Old 06-27-09, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

I figured Chloe and Cal were destined to die together though I have to say Cal moved pretty well for a guy who was bleeding out a few hours ago. Where exactly were Abbie and Henry going? If they were following Wakefield they sure did a piss poor job of it.

Thanks to tonight's bloodbath there sure aren't a whole lot of characters left to kill. I'd still love to see Madison and the sister get it, but I just don't see this show having enough courage to kill a kid.
Old 06-27-09, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
That's what I want to know. The last thing the Sheriff said to Abby was to be happy with Jimmy.. (paraphrasing)

And where the hell is everyone? Did Wakefield kill the entire town??

I used to think it was Henry but now I think it's either the dreadlock guy or the blond.
As mentioned in the last thread, most townspeople probably left on the boat (the one Jimmy mentioned that they missed when looking for Madison) or they locked themselves in their homes (it's only been a day or two for the past few episodes).
Old 06-28-09, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shinobi

Maybe the files are fake, planted by Wakefield?
Perhaps the sheriff came to a conclusion on Jimmy but never got rid of the files. Your suggestion is possible, I suppose.

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
One of my friends picked Henry very early on. I don't know. I still think it's possible, but unlikely. Of course, the wedding party is on the island because of Henry (and Trish)...

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Thanks to tonight's bloodbath there sure aren't a whole lot of characters left to kill. I'd still love to see Madison and the sister get it, but I just don't see this show having enough courage to kill a kid.
+1 to rooting for Madison's demise. I concur with you, however: I don't see it happening.
Old 06-28-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah it's very convenient that it's Jimmy, especially if you watched the previews. I have a feeling there is more to the story.

God damn 4th of July making us wait 2 weeks. GAAHHHHHHHHH!
Old 06-28-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

This was a pretty weak episode, even if you ignore the fact that the two best characters died. Pretty much everything involving Wakefield was laughably bad this episode. Wakefield brings a knife to a gun fight multiple times and ends up the victor every time.

Oh well, it was the first bad episode since episode three or four.

It sucks that we have to wait two weeks for the finale. Bleh.
Old 06-28-09, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Quake1028
Yeah it's very convenient that it's Jimmy, especially if you watched the previews. I have a feeling there is more to the story.

God damn 4th of July making us wait 2 weeks. GAAHHHHHHHHH!
It sucks that we have to wait, but it'll be nice once we reach the 11th and have 2 episodes that evening.
Old 06-28-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it possible for a show that was never good in the first place to jump the shark?

Wakefield running around slashing people was just so excessive it seemed laughable.
Old 06-28-09, 07:11 AM

UGH! Last nights episode made me soooooooo mad! I Looooooved cal. He was my absolute favorite character and now hes dead. Allthough i have to say i dmire cloes bravery...not that i would do that same thing of anything like that but u can see that she really loved him. and when she jumped off that bridge i was like OHH WHAT NOW WAKEFIELD! SAD YOU DIDNT GET TO KILL CLOE TOO? yea well then jimmy (my 2nd fav character) now might be a bad guy. AND of he is then he probably helped in the killing of cal which makes me mad.

anywho i think ive got it all figured out. Ok so jimmy IS a bad guy because i think he knew that the boat at the arena was going to blow up ( its all part of himand john wakefields plan) so he jumps off before shane even flipped the switch. THEN john wakefeild pretended to almost kill him when the sheriff (abbys dad) shows up and thats when wakefield offers a deal to "save jimmy" when jimmy wouldnt even die in the first place. So the dad trades his life for jimmys. POOF john wakefields plan worked. So now abby gets to see her dad die. and Jimmy can help wakefield with other schemes.

Heres another point: You know when they were all in the church and cloe got taken away. yea well that was all part of the plan too. Right before wakefield sneaks into the church jimmy like bangs on a dorr or somethin and has everybodies attention while wakefield steals cloe away. BAM another well thought out plan the once again worked all because jimmy is helping john wakefield.

Heres a probability: Ok so you know when jimmy and abby were gonna go camping. well he got abby and the sheriff out of the house so that while everyone was down at the arena trying to figure out how the dock blew up, wakefield could go snatch abbys mom and hang her from a tree.

so thats why i think jimmy is a bad guy. and is helping john wakefield
Old 06-28-09, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Is it possible for a show that was never good in the first place to jump the shark?

Wakefield running around slashing people was just so excessive it seemed laughable.
Totally agree! I am so disappointed about this Wakefield thing. I was really hoping they were going to twist it so he was actually helping or something, but him just walking around killing makes no sense. I can understand the killing for revenge, but Cal and Cloe?? They didn't even know the dude! They better have a damn good twist in the end!

Also, I don't think it is Jimmy, they are trying way to hard to make us think it is him, so it is either not him (most likely) or the show has hit a new level of lame. LOL
Old 06-28-09, 11:01 AM

I've been really enjoying the series. It's pretty graphic for network TV and it's been fun speculating every week on who the killer is. Nice to see Shane go out a hero. He had some pretty good lines the last few episodes. But damn, I was hoping Cal and Chloe would be the ones to make it out of this mess. The thing about a limited series like this (as opposed to a 2 hour movie) is that you get time to care about the characters and the writers have enought time to build the story and throw in twists along the way.

So who could be the 2nd killer ? After last week's episode I thought that Jimmy would be the 2nd killer, but now I agree with everyone else ... it's too obvious. Even TV Guide Canada agrees with this theory in the following link. No spoilers. Just speculations in the link. http://tvguide.sympatico.msn.ca/Wate...island_ep11_AD

I think Trish should be considered a suspect too. I'm thinking back to the former Sheriff's deputy (the one who had his face burned) releasing his dog in the woods to attack both Trish and her Dad. If the deputy as he later told the Sheriff was really also trying to find Wakefield and his accomplice, then it wouldn't have made sense for him to kill Trish (and her Dad the innocent bystander) unless he suspected her of being Wakefield's accomplice. Plus you throw in Trish's inability to shoot Wakefield when she had the chance (as others have mentioned) and that makes her a plausible suspect. But I doubt it's going to be her.

Someone posted an interesting theory a while back that the other killer could be Booth. He was the only one that wasn't killed by Wakefield and his accomplice. He supposedly died accidentally. Since we never saw Malcolm bury him, he could come back from the "dead" in the final episode. But nah, I doubt that it's going to be the twist.

The one death that didn't make sense to me was that of Hunter (Trish's Ex boyfriend that showed up and got blasted too pieces on the boat). His murder seemed out of place compared to the others. He wasn't a guest at the wedding and only a handfull of people knew that he was even on the island. And what was the motive for killing him ? The only person that would have a motive would be Henry since he probably suspected Trish of cheating on him. So is Henry the 2nd killer after all?

I don't mind Wakefield showing up and him being evil. Wasn't it already established back in Abby's flashback episode that he was the original killer ? Didn't she witness him killing someone in that flashback episode? So I'm okay with him being the killer as long as there's an accomplice for these new murders.

Looking forward to the 2 hour finale !

Last edited by Johnny Fever; 06-28-09 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-28-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I can't imagine Danny, Sully or Shay being the killers. The first two characters aren't fleshed out at all and making it Shay wouldn't make much sense.

That leaves Jimmy, Abby, Henry and/or Trish. Jimmy now is the obvious choice but with 2 hours left I'm sure there will be another twist taking him out of the equation.

Abby is a possibility but she needs to be the hero, it's been planted like that from the first day.

My next thought is Henry. Him and Trish are the only ones that tie into everyone else in the show somehow. Henry has been completely controlling the group. Telling them where to go, who is going where etc. They can develop a motive for him wanting to kill Abby too. He already had motive to kill a few people on the island.

Trish is another possibility for the same reasons Henry is. However, I can't see her being a part of her dads death. But again she also has motive to kill a few people. They can develop a motive for her to want Abby dead too. Possibly a jealously thing involving Henry.

Right now I'd put my money on Henry.
Old 06-28-09, 01:54 PM

This, and the whole episode makes Wakefield out to be some invincible superhuman type dude. Henry's whole "we can't do it like this" when Abby was past ready to kick some Wakefield ass after he killed her dad makes me suspect Henry. Then again, Trish's going all stupid when she had the perfect opportunity and perfect weapon and didn't shoot Wakefield, makes me suspect her too.
Old 06-28-09, 02:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This past episode started me thinking that Henry and Jimmy might both be Wakefield's accomplices/sons. During the scene when Jimmy rejoins the group, I noticed how much he and Henry resemble each other. They were also looking at each other suspiciously.
Old 06-28-09, 02:26 PM

The "there's TWO killers" twist is a fucking cliche. But if it ended up that there were THREE killers (Wakefield, Henry, and Trish), that would be fucking awesome! And then Gillette will come out with a whodunit with four killers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.