DVD Talk
My neighbor (family of 2) is parking 8 vehicles in the cul-de-sac. Take action? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : My neighbor (family of 2) is parking 8 vehicles in the cul-de-sac. Take action?

Th0r S1mpson
06-25-09, 12:33 PM
2 car garage containing... 1 motorcycle.

Driveway containing... RV, truck (with a bed to store the junk that doesn't fit in the garage), compact car.

Sidewalk/Street facing driveway... "work" truck and an SUV, parked illegally obviously. Ticketed once, but apparently worth the cost.

Street in front of other people's houses: compact car, another "work" truck.

(This is compounded by another neighbor with 3 cars/trucks parked on the street in front of other people's houses.)

When we moved here, it was much more tame... all vehicles were in their respective driveways or the curb in front of their own house. You could actually see the street, and even the house across the street. Since then this stuff has been accumulating due to the fantastic new hobby of camping in an RV (which just pulled out for the second time in 9 months), her brother moving in for the summer (with one car and a work truck) and a new job (requiring the other work truck), plus a neighbor moving in with 3 vehicles of their own and nowhere to park them.

It's getting a little insane around here. Garbage day sucks because there are cars all over the street, parked end-in, not parallel to the curb, thus no room to turn. We get skipped every other week it seems. Obviously a fire truck wouldn't have any better luck.

This isn't kansas or oklahoma or any other place where parking on your lawn is common-place. This is California, darn it.

In summary, there are 8 houses in the cul-de-sac and all of the street parking is used up by 2 of them, in excess.

On the one hand, i don't know where else a family is supposed to park their perfectly acceptable EIGHT vehicles. So if I talk to them, I'm not sure what advice to give. On the other hand, flaming bags of poop are fairly inexpensive.

Advice?

dan30oly
06-25-09, 12:36 PM
Fire bomb?

kenbuzz
06-25-09, 12:37 PM
Man-up. Talk to them. Explain how on a cul-de-sac, space is a premium, and how having that many vehicles scattered around itsn't 'neighborly' (actually, it's pretty selfish, IMO) and hurts property values.

Do you have an HOA, btw? Some of them have covenants restricting the number and location of long-term parked vehicles.

kenbuzz
06-25-09, 12:40 PM
I just noticed that you said this:Garbage day sucks because there are cars all over the street, parked end-in, not parallel to the curb, thus no room to turn. We get skipped every other week it seems. Obviously a fire truck wouldn't have any better luck.Parking end-in is a no-no, and your comment about a fire truck is spot-on... call the fire department and ask to talk to the station chief about this. He may have leverage that you don't to get this fixed.

Th0r S1mpson
06-25-09, 12:40 PM
No HOA. And we are actually on very good speaking terms, this isn't a case of wanting to call the cops on a neighbor I have never spoken to. I would definitely not take that approach.

But they have these vehicles and nowhere to put them. And I am very sympathetic to their idiocy so I really don't know what to even say.

Th0r S1mpson
06-25-09, 12:41 PM
Yeah, there are 4 cars parked end-in on a daily basis (2 different neighbors). I don't know where people get the idea that it's acceptable but they have apparently been doing it for years so who am I to move in and tell them it's a no-no. :blush:

Of course, they weren't parked this way when we first moved here but I guess they were before that. The other new neighbors just followed suit.

kenbuzz
06-25-09, 12:41 PM
They have a 2-car garage, a 2-car drive, and 2-cars' worth of curb space. Seems like they've got two too-many vehicles and need to find some other place to keep/store them. The RV should go... there are places to park boats and RVs for long-term.

You can be sympathetic, but only to a point. If they filled all their bedrooms with stinky cans of half-eaten tuna, would you feel it would be alright for them to start sleeping on your couch? This is a self-caused problem - and it's theirs to fix unless you let them let everybody else fix it for them. You wouldn't've posted if this wasn't bugging you, so I think it's likely time for them to just fix their own mess.

kenbuzz
06-25-09, 12:54 PM
Perpendicular Cul-de-sac parking article:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/20/AR2006082000786.html

Pistol Pete
06-25-09, 12:55 PM
Check if your city / county has regulations regarding the parking of vehicles.

kenbuzz
06-25-09, 12:58 PM
You're in California, so CA Vehicle Code 22502(a) applies...

Linky: http://www.oxnardpd.org/bureaus/traffic.asp?cul=true
Question: Can cars park head-in within a cul-de-sac?
Answer: No.

Why: Cul-de-sacs are designed to allow traffic to make a U-turn at a dead-end street. The typical residential roadway is 40-feet in width and cul-de-sacs are 80 to 90 feet in width. The minimum turning requirements are set forth by the Oxnard Fire Department. Some fire apparatus requires a 96-foot diameter area to make a U-turn. Head-in parking also interferes with access to fire hydrants, is incompatible with driveways, and reduces walking spaces on sidewalks. For these reasons, the Traffic Engineer, in cooperation with the Police and Fire Departments, is no longer approving any head-in cul-de-sac parking.

The Law: California Vehicle Code 22502(a) states: "Except as otherwise provided in this chapter every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel with and within 18 inches of the right-hand curb, except that motorcycles shall be parked with at least one wheel or fender touching the right-hand curb. Where no curbs or barriers bound any two-way roadway, right-hand parallel parking is required unless otherwise indicated."
Note that in addition to requiring parallel parking, the right-hand rule also requires that cars park in the direction of traffic.

Tracer Bullet
06-25-09, 01:02 PM
Talk to them about it, then go on a murder-suicide rampage for living on a fucking cul-de-sac.

Michael Corvin
06-25-09, 01:07 PM
I have this same problem. Let me preface it by saying both neighbors have room for at least 7 cars in their driveway including 2 car garages. One neighbor parks 0 in the garage, 1 car in the driveway, 1 in the yard and the rest in the court. They routinely block our driveway by parking perpendicular to the curb. They block trash and mail.

What's even more annoying is that they will park two deep & perpendicular. So picture car #1 perpendicular to the curb and another car behind it bumper-to-bumper. This literally puts car #2 in the middle of the court. Car #1 leaves and that means car #2 is just sitting in the middle of the court. You could drive in circles around the curb of the court and not hit the car, that's how far out there it winds up being.

The other neighbor routinely has about 9 cars (fixes and sells them) but he at least uses his driveway/garage for all of them. Problem is when he has company there's nowhere for anyone to park except in front of my house.

I should snap some photos, it really is a sight to behold.
It's the only thing I don't like about our house, but I tell myself, it could always be worse.

Th0r S1mpson
06-25-09, 01:10 PM
Yes, I know it's illegal. As I stated, they have already been ticketed (both cars) for it. They stopped parking that way for about 2 days, then returned to their habits. So I can only guess they feel that the risk justifies the convenience... or something.

Th0r S1mpson
06-25-09, 01:13 PM
I think one reason people (like cowards) routinely just call the authorities over this sort of thing is that, if it ever would require that sort of action, had you talked to the neighbor first then they are obviously going to hold it against you personally (even though it's their own fault). But like I said, I'm not going that route.

Chrisedge
06-25-09, 01:42 PM
Call the cops again...Ticket them...This is why I love living in a HOA. (Although we have "similar" problems)

Septemberbaby
06-25-09, 02:15 PM
If you don't want to talk face to face, then type out an anonymous letter telling them of the bylaws and let them know it's from all the neighbors on the block.

Tarantino
06-25-09, 02:17 PM
Pics?

= J

kvrdave
06-25-09, 02:24 PM
Man, I'm glad i don't have neighbors that I can't evict.

kmcrowl
06-25-09, 02:45 PM
Get over it! Is you street public? Move to a non Mexican neighborhood!

NORML54601
06-25-09, 02:53 PM
I think you have Kansas & Oklahoma confused with Alabama & Arkansas

Trevor
06-25-09, 02:57 PM
Stop suppressing their religious freedom!

Ranger
06-25-09, 04:16 PM
But they have these vehicles and nowhere to put them.That's their problem. Fuck them.

I don't know why people tolerate that crap.

whotony
06-25-09, 04:30 PM
time for the pics.

Heat
06-25-09, 04:47 PM
How big of a town do you live in? Around here (town of 12,000) they recently passed an ordinance that said that you cannot park a trailer, RV, camper, boat etc in your driveway or on the street, and if it is in your yard it has to be behind the front of the house. Also, no parking of unlicensed vehiciles on the street.

In the meantime, call the cops on them, let them get the tickets. After a while they'll figure out that they can't park illegally and will (hopefully) sell a couple of the vehicles. Also, start parking your car in front of your own house to stop them from leaving cars there long-term.

jadasion
06-25-09, 04:53 PM
You are violating their First Amendment rights by forcing them to move!

Lateralus
06-25-09, 05:10 PM
Move to a non Mexican neighborhood!

rotfl I was thinking the same thing. Sounds like a classy neighboorhood. :lol:

HistoryProf
06-25-09, 09:21 PM
i don't see the cars as a problem, but where does he keep his garbage cans? if it's on the curb it's time to go postal.

atlantamoi
06-26-09, 03:16 AM
The family across the street just moved and rented out their home to four girls just out of college. There are 7 cars parked in front of the house right now (boyfriends). 2 in the driveway and 5 on the street. It's not a huge issue to me, but the garbage truck couldn't get by the other day when a service truck parked on the other side of the street.

VinVega
06-26-09, 07:18 AM
Whatever you do Thor, make sure to record it on video and share it here. :up:

pyro383
06-26-09, 07:18 AM
I would just ask them to be considerate when its garbage day and explain how pickups were missed due to their parking. If it continues, go back over and restate the issue but bring your filled garbage cans and ask if they can store it until the next pickup.

Red Dog
06-26-09, 07:46 AM
The family across the street just moved and rented out their home to four girls just out of college. There are 7 cars parked in front of the house right now (boyfriends). 2 in the driveway and 5 on the street. It's not a huge issue to me, but the garbage truck couldn't get by the other day when a service truck parked on the other side of the street.

Maybe it's a brothel.

jonw9
06-26-09, 07:58 AM
I have a neighbor that has a 2 car garage, and parks zero cars in there. I also had the same thing next door (before it got foreclosed) that had a 3 car garge, but parked 3 cars and a trailer in the driveway.

Why in the hell (especially in Michigan, during the winter) would you not want to park in the garage?

CRM114
06-26-09, 08:03 AM
Contact your Homeowner's Association. You have one right? ;)

CRM114
06-26-09, 08:05 AM

This post is an enigma.

Michael Corvin
06-26-09, 10:38 AM
This post is an enigma.

:lol:

RunBandoRun
06-26-09, 12:39 PM
I told you guys not to live in cul de sacs. :D

cpgator
06-26-09, 12:41 PM
Talk to them about it, then go on a murder-suicide rampage for living on a fucking cul-de-sac.

Don't you live in an apartment?

NORML54601
06-26-09, 04:38 PM

Webcam link?

This post is an enigma.

:lol:

DarkestPhoenix
06-26-09, 06:00 PM

That's an easy fix! Keep calling to tow the bf's cars until they don't come over anymore, then make your move.

Th0r S1mpson
06-26-09, 06:12 PM
Assuming they went and parked everything legally, with no HOA, are there actually any violations happening with 8 vehicles parked in the neighborhood? I wouldn't think so?

It seems more like a courtesy thing, and I don't see them selling vehicles or renting out parking off-site based on courtesy.

Bacon
06-26-09, 06:13 PM
my advice is get off your high horse
unless they're blocking your driveway

GET OVER IT!!

Th0r S1mpson
06-26-09, 06:14 PM
At most I think this is a pony right now. Certainly not a high horse.

hail2dking
06-26-09, 06:30 PM
I would check the city ordinance. My city only allows 4 cars per household

CRM114
06-26-09, 11:12 PM
Assuming they went and parked everything legally, with no HOA, are there actually any violations happening with 8 vehicles parked in the neighborhood? I wouldn't think so?

It seems more like a courtesy thing, and I don't see them selling vehicles or renting out parking off-site based on courtesy.

You can't do jack about the stuff in the driveway but the cars parked on the road need to be moved every so many hours/days. A cop ticketed a guy up the street for parking his beater errand pickup in the street without moving it. After the ticket, he never left it in the street again. This law may not exist where you live but I think it's a fairly common thing.

Also, are those vehicles all insured and inspected? Again, not sure the law in your state.

Nugent
06-27-09, 12:09 AM

Hillarious! :rolleyes:

I live in "backwards" Mississippi and we don't even allow this shit where I live.
You get one ticket and the next time it's towed no questions asked.

Shazam
06-27-09, 12:16 AM
The family across the street just moved and rented out their home to four girls just out of college. There are 7 cars parked in front of the house right now (boyfriends). 2 in the driveway and 5 on the street. It's not a huge issue to me, but the garbage truck couldn't get by the other day when a service truck parked on the other side of the street.Pics or GTFO.

Heat
06-27-09, 12:47 AM
You can't do jack about the stuff in the driveway ...
Check with the city/village. Maybe they have an ordinance against parking RVs in the driveway (mine does). Also, any vehicle parked on the road must have a current license plate renewal sticker and must be insured.

atlantamoi
06-27-09, 03:01 AM
Pics or GTFO. Trust me, your imagination would be much better than the reality.

sracer
06-27-09, 04:20 AM
I think one reason people (like cowards) routinely just call the authorities over this sort of thing is that, if it ever would require that sort of action, had you talked to the neighbor first then they are obviously going to hold it against you personally (even though it's their own fault). But like I said, I'm not going that route.
Then don't complain.

Seriously. Neighbors who do what you have described have no consideration for anyone but themselves. Inconsiderate neighbors will not respond to a neighborly chat about how they are being inconsiderate. Too mild a confrontation and they'll take it as a sign of weakness and ignore you. Too harsh, and they'll dig their heels in.

The accidentally inconsiderate neighbor is extremely rare. Most of the time they simply don't care.

SterlingBen
06-27-09, 06:43 AM
I was behind you until the Oklahoma slant. Now I think you should just get over it.

kenbuzz
06-27-09, 07:30 AM
Then don't complain.

Seriously. Neighbors who do what you have described have no consideration for anyone but themselves. Inconsiderate neighbors will not respond to a neighborly chat about how they are being inconsiderate. Too mild a confrontation and they'll take it as a sign of weakness and ignore you. Too harsh, and they'll dig their heels in.

The accidentally inconsiderate neighbor is extremely rare. Most of the time they simply don't care.

Then I must have one of those 'extremely rare' neighbors in my neighborhood.

Dude across the street from me has a 2-car garage but only keeps one in there. The other is in his driveway most of the time. When he cuts his grass, he moves it to the street to make it easier and to avoid hitting it with stuff thrown from his mower. He usually parked it beyond his property line (to avoid hitting it....see last sentence), and directly in line with my driveway. When he's done mowing, he puts the mower away but leaves the car parked where it can get t-boned by me or my wife backing out of our garage until he needs it to go somewhere - sometimes for a couple of days.

I chatted with him, told him I was worried that one of us might hit it when pulling out of our drive, and offered to let him park it along the curb on our side of the street (not lined up with either driveway) whenever he needed to cut the lawn. So now, when he mows, he moves his car to in front of my house, and when he finishes he comes back to retrieve it and repark in his own driveway. He never realized that he was being accidentally inconsiderate by parking where he had been, and we fixed it easily.

CRM114
06-27-09, 10:56 PM
Check with the city/village. Maybe they have an ordinance against parking RVs in the driveway (mine does). Also, any vehicle parked on the road must have a current license plate renewal sticker and must be insured.

Yes. My town cracked down on RVs and enforced a law where the RV has to be behind the front wall of the house.

naitram
06-27-09, 11:09 PM
nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure

Th0r S1mpson
06-27-09, 11:11 PM
nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure

Dude, I live next door. I don't like this idea even a little bit. But I appreciate the effort. The rest of you can screw yourselves.

Numanoid
06-28-09, 02:12 PM
My response to these kind of complaints is the old tried-and-true Dear Abby advice -- "No one can take advantage of you without your permission". Either be a man and do something about it, or keep being a creampuff and stop complaining. :D

glassdragon
06-28-09, 02:14 PM
I see nothing wrong with expecting a little common fucking courtesy from people who you live around. Parking like that is ridiculous where they are parking. I would personally talk to them, but failing that the only way to get this done may be to call the police if they are going to continue being willfully inconsiderate.

Bacon
06-28-09, 02:16 PM
Dude, I live next door. I don't like this idea even a little bit. But I appreciate the effort. The rest of you can screw yourselves.

You're overreacting

it's not like they're doing something really bad like leaving their trash can on the curb :rimshot:

Th0r S1mpson
07-08-09, 02:07 PM
UPDATE: Home boy rented out a place to park his RV. There is daylight in our kitchen again, and 3 fewer cars on the street. He might have even put one in his garage. Either that or he murdered his brother in law, ditched his car, and is having the blood cleaned out of the RV.

It's a good thing too because I was really gonna let him have it by posting another whiney complaint here on the forum.