DVD Talk
A fan's dream: When Buffy Killed Edward "Twilight" Cullen [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : A fan's dream: When Buffy Killed Edward "Twilight" Cullen

Nick Martin
06-22-09, 08:34 PM
You know you all want this to go down sometime:

http://www.rebelliouspixels.com/2009/buffy-vs-edward-twilight-remixed

:D

The Antipodean
06-22-09, 08:36 PM
Funny but a bit long, they should've made it about 30 seconds for maximum humour value I think.

Nick Martin
06-22-09, 08:40 PM
According to the video's creator it wasn't as much about humor as it was about exposing the creepy and pathetic nature of Twilight's so-called hearthrob vampire.

I threw in pathetic, but it's still valid isn't it?

It’s an example of transformative storytelling serving as a visual critique of Edward’s character and generally creepy behavior. Seen through Buffy’s eyes some of the more patriarchal gender roles and sexist Hollywood tropes embedded in the Twilight saga are exposed in hilarious ways.

Sanjuro37
06-22-09, 09:37 PM
In fairness, all the clips of Buffy concern her dealings with two vampire boyfriends, one of whom stalked and even attempted to rape her while the other just sulked all the damn time. Then again, Whedon actually addressed those things over the series, and you can see it in these clips when Buffy calls them on their shit; Twilight, on the other hand, pushes the creepy sides of such characters as the romantic ideal. Which is one of dozens of reasons why it's a P.O.S. I've watched this video like 8 times because I love it so much.

kstublen
06-22-09, 09:51 PM
I haven't seen Twilight, but if those clips are any indication of the quality of the acting and writing, colour me glad I didn't even waste my time purchasing a ticket to see it, let alone actually watching it.

Having seen Buffy and being a big fan of the show, you can really tell the difference between how Whedon & Co. handled the relationships and what seems to have been done in Twilight. Angel was a good guy until they had sex and he turned back into Angelus. Age difference aside (Buffy was like 15 years old or whatever and Angel was perpetually a 30 year-old), their relationship up until that point wasn't all that bad. When he turned into Angelus the relationship went sour and after that they realized it wouldn't work. You could argue that it was handled in a more realistic manner and the characters in the show were more or less mature about it; they recognized the positives and negatives of the relationship and never lied about what was going on or tried to make it better than it actually seemed.

As for Spike, his feelings for Buffy were, dare I say, more complicated than those of Angel. He was clearly unhealthily and creepily obsessed with her and at one point she does give in and is herself reckless about it. But again, they handled it correctly and showed the good and the bad of it. The worst, the rape, was very difficult to watch, and yet conveyed both sides of the event fairly. Spike was clearly in the wrong, but you can see where he is coming from. Importantly, he is very hurt by his own actions and leaves to become a better person, etc. Then he himself restrains his feelings and does whatever is in Buffy's best interest, expecting nothing in return. Again, the relationship is handled well and we get to see both sides of it, the good and the bad. It isn't glamorized in the least, and if anything this one is portrayed in a much more polarizing and negative way than her relationship with Angel (which is arguably the more romanticized of the two).

From the footage, none of what I said about Buffy seems to be present in Twilight. It looks instead (and from the trailers and what people have told of the series I haven no reason to doubt) that it glamorizes the unhealthy relationship and portrays it as how people in love really behave and feel. I'm sure this would be more evident if I watched Twilight, but with far better vampire material out there, I don't see a point to even give it the time of day.

Nick Martin
06-22-09, 10:03 PM
A big difference is that Angel didn't stalk Buffy at all, while Angelus did, and that wasn't even his sole (not soul ;) ) focus. Angel made himself known to her by relaying her information to help her, doing the same for Giles.

You're absolutely right - Twilight seems to show "stalking girls is romantic". I too haven't seen Twilight and never will.

kstublen
06-22-09, 10:26 PM
A big difference is that Angel didn't stalk Buffy at all, while Angelus did, and that wasn't even his sole (not soul ;) ) focus. Angel made himself known to her by relaying her information to help her, doing the same for Giles.

You're absolutely right - Twilight seems to show "stalking girls is romantic". I too haven't seen Twilight and never will.

Angel kind of did stalk Buffy, but not in as creepy or possessive a way as it seems was the case in Twilight. He followed her from Los Angeles to Sunnydale, but again, it is different because he was brought to her and shown he had to help and protect her. And even though he did kind of stalk her, it was always in a protective way that never put her in danger or implied that she was his possession.

Solid Snake
06-22-09, 10:41 PM
Damn..never seen Twilight, nor did I want to, but damn...does that acting suck major ass..and the dialogue is horrendous. "My own brand of heroine.." WHAT THE FUCK, man!?!?

Rockmjd23
06-23-09, 12:02 AM
I'd rather have Abraham Van Helsing come in at the end and rid us of both of them.

Breakfast with Girls
06-23-09, 12:17 AM
The worst, the rape...Attempted.

kstublen
06-23-09, 12:28 AM
Attempted.

Yeah I misspoke, thanks for correcting (not sarcasm).

Zen Peckinpah
06-23-09, 01:09 AM
Personally, I'm waiting for Bill Compton to devour Edward Cullen's glittery skin off. Or the Near Dark vampires.

Nick Martin
06-23-09, 01:52 AM
If only these Twilight freaks could have seen Buffy / Angel in their heyday...they might have elevated it beyond the 'cult status' and it would have been rightly deserved unlike this crap. Perhaps this newer generation (if you can call it that) is getting the vampire-themed story they deserve. Sucks for them.

Supermallet
06-23-09, 02:29 AM
The fans of Twilight don't want to see complex relationships. That's why they read and watch Twilight.