Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Cold Souls (Barthes, 2009) — Giamatti as himself, w/ Emily Watson, David Strathairn

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Cold Souls (Barthes, 2009) — Giamatti as himself, w/ Emily Watson, David Strathairn

Old 06-22-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

IMDB | 7 August 2009

HD Trailer

Paul Giamatti has found a solution! In the surreal comedy COLD SOULS, Paul Giamatti plays an actor named… Paul Giamatti. Stumbling upon an article in The New Yorker about a high-tech company that extracts, deep-freezes and stores people’s souls, Paul very well might have found the key to happiness for which he’s been searching. But, complications arise when he is the unfortunate victim of “soul-trafficking.” Giamatti’s journey takes him all the way to Russia in hopes of retrieving his stolen soul from an ambitious but talentless soap-opera actress.

<hr>

This looks pretty fantastic and in the same vein as Being John Malkovich.
Old 10-06-09, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cold Souls (Barthes, 2009) — Giamatti as himself, w/ Emily Watson, David Strathai

Alrighty, so I saw this earlier today. I went in totally blind also, with the only thing I knew about it being that Paul Giamatti was the star, it was called Cold Souls, and that it has received fairly high reviews just about everywhere.

It's really hard to comment on off the top of my head, I just got back from it, but I'll just say that I really liked it and the high scores it has received are warranted. It's a fun dark, very dark, smart comedy. It's totally unlike most films released from year to year, so that's a great point also. And yes, like others have said, it is very Kaufmanesque, and to me that's a great thing. We don't have nearly enough filmmakers willing to step outside the box to this extent.

It's a fantastic directorial and screenwriting debut from Sophie Barthes, and I certainly can't wait to see what she has to offer up next.
Old 10-06-09, 05:26 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Cold Souls (Barthes, 2009) — Giamatti as himself, w/ Emily Watson, David Strathai

this came and went here in DC without little fanfare, guess I'll have to wait for the DVD/bluray.
Old 10-06-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
this came and went here in DC without little fanfare, guess I'll have to wait for the DVD/bluray.
IIRC it was released by Samuel Goldwyn Films. They don't really have huge marketing budgets for their films.
Old 06-02-10, 04:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I saw this and enjoyed it, although it was perilously close to being a Charlie Kaufman homage at some points. But Paul Giamatti's neurotic charm really helped keep it above water; it wasn't quite a classic, but thought provokingly oddball.