DVD Talk
World's Greatest Dad (Goldthwait, 2009): Robin Williams in dark comedy [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : World's Greatest Dad (Goldthwait, 2009): Robin Williams in dark comedy

NoirFan
06-19-09, 06:09 PM
A comedy about a man who learns that the things you want most may not be the things that make you happy, and that being lonely is not necessarily the same as being alone.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd114/besh1/wgdPoster.jpg

Red-Band Trailer (http://www.hulu.com/watch/78595/movie-trailers-worlds-greatest-dad---red-band)
IMDB (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1262981/)

shaun3000
06-19-09, 06:19 PM
Awesome. That might make up for the last 15 years of his career.

RagingBull80
06-19-09, 07:41 PM
It kind of reminds me of The Weather Man. I think it looks promising.

"If you don't act right at dinner I'll stab you in the face." :lol:

GoldenJCJ
06-19-09, 10:29 PM
I rather enjoyed Sleeping Dogs Lie and Shakes the Clown so here's hoping Bobcat Goldthwait can deliver again.

Ronnie Dobbs
06-19-09, 10:39 PM
Looks really funny.

SPRBD
06-20-09, 03:03 AM
I rather enjoyed Sleeping Dogs Lie and Shakes the Clown so here's hoping Bobcat Goldthwait can deliver again.

I really loved Shakes and tolerated Sleeping Dogs. Hopefully this one is more like Shakes.

Solid Snake
06-20-09, 07:33 PM
Hrm...looks fun. Robin Williams in a recent funny film..that's good? Let's hope.

islandclaws
06-20-09, 08:40 PM
The trailer looks like some great black humor, my favorite kind. I'll likely check this out when it opens.

NoirFan
07-18-09, 07:41 PM
Green-band Trailer (http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/worldsgreatestdad/)

NoirFan
07-28-09, 06:06 PM
Clip (http://www.apple.com/trailers/magnolia/worldsgreatestdad/)

LickTheABCs
07-28-09, 06:18 PM
On August 19th this will be on HDNet Movies as part of their sneak peak. Just a heads up.

anomynous
07-28-09, 07:22 PM
Awesome, will be watched

writer106
07-28-09, 09:35 PM
It looks sort of interesting.

hapgilmore
07-29-09, 10:50 AM
Where the hell have I been?? I LOVE Shakes the Clown, I didn't know Bobcat made another movie since...I must rent this Sleeping Dogs Lie asap (and watch this new one)!

NoirFan
07-30-09, 01:08 AM
Another uncomfortable clip! (http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810038210/video/14810099)

dcprules
07-30-09, 01:55 AM
On August 19th this will be on HDNet Movies as part of their sneak peak. Just a heads up.

Thanks for the tip...I would have gone out of my way to check this one out (early reviews have been pretty positive of the ones I've read) but getting to see it free works too.

I really love having HDNet sometimes...

Brent L
08-09-09, 11:51 AM
I've been way interested in this one since I first read about it and saw the trailer, but I sure didn't expect it to receive any of the reviews listed on RT so far...

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/worlds_greatest_dad/

Throwing Copper
08-14-09, 03:34 PM
I checked it out on PPV the other night. It's quite the uncomfortable film but has some great dark comedy.

I guess they're trying to get some good word of mouth going before it hits theaters.

I enjoyed it and had no idea Bobcat was a good director, which is what this movie tells me.

joefrog91
08-14-09, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the tip...I would have gone out of my way to check this one out (early reviews have been pretty positive of the ones I've read) but getting to see it free works too.

I really love having HDNet sometimes...

yeah, I've been able to see some great sneak previews on HDNet Movies.

Gizmo
08-14-09, 07:54 PM
I enjoyed it and had no idea Bobcat was a good director, which is what this movie tells me.

If your interested, he was on Adam Carolla's podcast a few months back (iTunes) and was talking about his Directing career.

pjflyer
08-17-09, 11:32 AM
Is this not eligible for an Oscar because of the HDNet airing?

Brent L
08-18-09, 07:23 PM
Alrighty, I saw this.

Bobcat Goldthwait of all people wrote and directed what could be my favorite film of the year so far, and one of my new favorites in a long, long time.

How is that even possible? :lol:

If you get a chance, check this one out. It's dark, funny, original, and it's just a great picture.

I, uh, look forward to more of Bobcat Goldthwait's future work in writing and directing. I never thought I would ever say that!

grip
08-19-09, 02:08 PM
Bump - Showing tonight ONLY on HDNET movies.

(anybody seen my hdnet appreciation thread? ;) )

Groucho
08-19-09, 03:01 PM
I subscribed to HDNet Movies just to watch this tonight.

Nicholas Vargo
08-19-09, 07:54 PM
Already set to DVR! 6 minutes and counting...

Throwing Copper
08-19-09, 09:31 PM
The film replays on HDNET Movies at 9:45 p.m. eastern, 8:45 central. Just about 15 minutes from now if anyone didn't know.

CharlieK
08-19-09, 09:44 PM
I may have just seen Robin Williams's penis.

Nicholas Vargo
08-19-09, 11:54 PM
Just finished watching the film a few minutes ago.

WOW!!! What a truly dark comedy! Sick and twisted throughout. And somehow, the balance hits just the right notes to keep it very funny and very energentic.

For Bobcat Goldthwait, he has definitely outdone himself!

And not to mention the performances by Robin Williams and Daryl Sabara are terrific!

It is definitely one of the movies I've enjoyed the most so far this year.

LickTheABCs
08-20-09, 02:15 AM
I may have just seen Robin Williams's penis.

That whole pool scene was truly disturbing in HD.

I loved the movie. Even Robin Williams wasn't annoying in it, and I usually want to punch him in the throat in everything he does.

Lastdaysofrain
08-20-09, 08:21 AM
I loved it. It's dark, sad and funny. The tone reminds me of Heathers and Election a bit. The casting is excellent, my friend Tony V plays Dr. V, and it also features Toby "Artie from Pete and Pete" Huss, great movie. It's probably in my top three of the year.

Nicholas Vargo
08-21-09, 05:31 AM
If you guys are interested, the Internet radio show Movie Geeks United! did an interview with Goldthwait about the movie on their most recent show. If you would like to listen to it, just follow the link, scroll down to On Demand Episodes and click on the first available entry:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/moviegeeksunited

Lastdaysofrain
08-21-09, 08:08 AM
There's also a great interview with Goldthwait on the onion av club this week.

Apparently the movies opens in some theatres nation wide on September 4th.

anomynous
08-21-09, 10:29 AM
Watched it last night

Holy shit, hilarious. Especially since the premise of the movie just happened at my school last year too.

Will be a purchase when ever it comes out.

Gizmo
08-21-09, 01:18 PM
If you guys are interested, the Internet radio show Movie Geeks United! did an interview with Goldthwait about the movie on their most recent show. If you would like to listen to it, just follow the link, scroll down to On Demand Episodes and click on the first available entry:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/moviegeeksunited

So did Adam Carolla (today actually). Seems like a real nice guy. Too bad TimeWarner canceled HDNET for me :(

Groucho
08-24-09, 10:36 AM
I watched this last night. Great little film that deserves more attention, although the marketing campaign is superb since it doesn't give everything away.

My pet peeve came when the kids were talking about playing Doom -- a game that came out before they were even born! Come on, Bobcat. You had actual kids on the set -- fact-checking this one should have been easy.

boogieman03
08-24-09, 11:05 AM
UGh. This came out right? Not one theater in the DFW metroplex is apparently playing this.

Groucho
08-24-09, 11:10 AM
I don't think this is in theaters until 9/4.

glassdragon
08-24-09, 11:24 AM
UGh. This came out right? Not one theater in the DFW metroplex is apparently playing this.

No it's not out

HDNET ran an HD version of it as a preview for HDNET members.

Lastdaysofrain
08-24-09, 02:03 PM
It opens in theatres on 9/4.

boogieman03
08-24-09, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was strange that no theater was showing this in the area. I looked it up in a few different places and everywhere said it was out this past Friday.

Count Dooku
08-24-09, 03:01 PM
Is this not eligible for an Oscar because of the HDNet airing?

That's not really a concern for this movie.

Rypro 525
08-24-09, 05:21 PM
I watched this last night. Great little film that deserves more attention, although the marketing campaign is superb since it doesn't give everything away.

although if you read the official synopsis in the other thread, it actually gives the big surprise away (thankfully i didn't read that before i saw the film, watched it via ppv)
I also loved the usage of "Under Pressure" at the end (although my mom didn't understand what that whole scene was about and she didn't like the way the Robin Williams character came out and mentioned everything, since he had given hope and a reason to live for some of the kids I also loved the little cameo by Bruce Hornsby

Brent L
08-24-09, 05:24 PM
Near the end, here is what I halfway expected the ending to be...

I thought something was going to happen where there at the end we would be flashed back in time, and it would turn out that all of the wacky things that had been happening was just the character having visions right before he dies, after having started to kill himself.

When that turned out to not be the case, I was thrilled with the ending we got. :)

mrlanemann
08-24-09, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the clarification. I thought it was strange that no theater was showing this in the area. I looked it up in a few different places and everywhere said it was out this past Friday.

I'm in the same boat as you. Thought it had already been released, glad to see I just had the date wrong instead and that it should be coming to my area.

thematahara
09-05-09, 03:35 AM
Just watched this tonight. Great movie. The essence of a great dark comedy. Nice to see Robin Williams in a good role.

FYI, if you have comcast you can watch this ON Demand in HD for $7.

Numanoid
09-06-09, 11:46 AM
My pet peeve came when the kids were talking about playing Doom -- a game that came out before they were even born! Come on, Bobcat. You had actual kids on the set -- fact-checking this one should have been easy.Haven't seen the movie yet, but I can tell you as someone who works with nerdy college kids that they are quite aware of the old games and in fact are into games that were old when I was a teen in the mid '80s. If the kids in the movie are 18 - 23, and gamers, they may very well be playing Doom, or Starcraft, or Super Mario, or any others.

Brent L
09-18-09, 12:31 PM
I hate to even bring attention to it, but that is bound to happen here anyway. I just noticed Jamie S. Rich's review of this flick here (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39692/worlds-greatest-dad/) (there is a huge spoiler in the very first pargraph) and I just wanted to say a couple of things. First, please, for the love of God, don't let that review turn you off of giving this one a chance.

I couldn't disagree with a review more than I do with this one. I'm not even going to bother getting into a big long back and forth over why I say that. Just me saying that I disagree with pretty much all of it should be enough, almost to the point where it's laughable.

There is a reason this is sitting on a 7.7 out of 10 score on IMDB and an 82% on RottenTomatoes and that the majority of people who has seen it have praised it - that being because it is, indeed, a great picture well worth your time.

pjflyer
09-18-09, 12:58 PM
I hate to even bring attention to it, but that is bound to happen here anyway. I just noticed Jamie S. Rich's review of this flick here (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/39692/worlds-greatest-dad/) and I just wanted to say a couple of things. First, please, for the love of God, don't let that review turn you off of giving this one a chance.

I couldn't disagree with a review more than I do with this one. I'm not even going to bother getting into a big long back and forth over why I say that. Just me saying that I disagree with pretty much all of it should be enough, almost to the point where it's laughable.

There is a reason this is sitting on a 7.7 out of 10 score on IMDB and an 82% on RottenTomatoes and that the majority of people who has seen it have praised it - that being because it is, indeed, a great picture well worth your time.

Agreed, comparing this to a Problem Child sequel is ridiculous.

Brent L
09-18-09, 01:38 PM
It didn't even register with me when I first read that review, but in the very first paragraph of the review there is a monumental spoiler as well.

MrSmearkase
09-18-09, 01:45 PM
/\ Indeed, so much so that it may be enough to turn some off from the movie

pjflyer
09-18-09, 02:21 PM
Yes, I would advise anyone thinking about ever seeing World's Greatest Dad to avoid that review. Not because it is negative but because it gives away a crucial turining point in the film. Is there a way to report the review to try and get that sentence taken out?

Groucho
09-18-09, 02:25 PM
If there's one thing that irritates me it's reviewers who feel that because they didn't like a film, it's okay to spoil it.

MrSmearkase
09-18-09, 02:32 PM
What's funny is that when I first heard about the movie months ago, that twist was part of the plot summary. Once the trailer was released, there was no mention of it.

Watching it with my wife, I didn't tell her about it at all, and watched as she was shocked by the turns of events. I wish I had that experience.

Still one of the year's best films, in my opinion, and can't wait to own it on December 8th (http://www.amazon.com/Worlds-Greatest-Dad/dp/B002PI1NRO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1253298709&sr=1-3-fkmr0)

Brent L
09-18-09, 02:51 PM
Yes, I would advise anyone thinking about ever seeing World's Greatest Dad to avoid that review. Not because it is negative but because it gives away a crucial turining point in the film. Is there a way to report the review to try and get that sentence taken out?

It isn't even that one sentence. If that were to be removed, all other mentions in the review would need to be removed as well.

Regardless of the reviewers opinion, that's fine and people can think what they want, but there is no reason to spoil major plot points like that.

Sure, Roger Ebert does the same thing, but people familiar with him pretty much understand that since he's done it for so long. He can get away with it because of that. Well...that and the fact that he's Roger Ebert.

EDIT:

And to be fair, I must do something that I've rarely, if ever, done before - praise Brian Orndorf. His review of this film (http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38193/worlds-greatest-dad/) is a much better example of how to produce the review. I'm not even talking how I far more agree with what he says about it, he loves it, just how he successfully reviews the picture without full blown spoiling the entire thing.

This entire thing is wacky now that I think about it. To continue being fair, I almost always agree With the reviews of J.S.R., and have almost never agreed with Brian as I've really gone a little overboard blasting him in the past. It's just odd how for this movie, everything is totally backwards.

Although I suppose it's quite fitting given the movie involved. :lol:

The O
09-19-09, 05:41 PM
And to be fair, I must do something that I've rarely, if ever, done before - praise Brian Orndorf.

Hooray! Light on the horizon.

Daytripper
12-29-09, 08:27 PM
Searched for this movie and posted in DVD Talk first by accident. Just watched this via Netflix and I loved it!! It really reminded me of "Heathers". Great writing and very dark. Rewatchability? Absolutely! Pity this went largely unnoticed during it's brief and limited theatrical release. Hopefully it's find it's cult audience on home video, and cable.

anomynous
12-29-09, 11:46 PM
After watching this again, I thnk it's my favorite movie of the year.

Pure genius.

tylergfoster
12-30-09, 06:23 AM
I feel as if Williams' arc could be more defined (his changes feel oddly unmotivated -- perhaps Williams needs to emote more?), but the music montage where Kyle's ghost is hanging around is just gangbusters. I could laugh at that scene all day. Last year, I thought the scene in In Bruges set to "On Raglan Road" was the best juxtaposition of music and film I saw in a movie, and this year, World's Greatest Dad has got it. Really, there are several in the movie, but that one is by far the funniest.

ween
12-30-09, 04:47 PM
Just a heads up that it looks like Netflix will have this for streaming on Jan 10th.

Tarantino
01-27-10, 12:36 AM
Just finished this one. I just don't understand all of the praise it's getting. I didn't find it funny at all.

It's not a horrible movie, but it's...just not funny.

Charlie Goose
07-24-10, 10:24 AM
It's been a long time since I could stomach Robin Williams, but he does give an excellent performance here. Same with Daryl Sabara, perfectly hateful.

Yes, there is a glimpse of Robin Williams' wang.

anomynous
07-25-10, 01:49 PM
Just finished this one. I just don't understand all of the praise it's getting. I didn't find it funny at all.

It's not a horrible movie, but it's...just not funny.
It's hilarious, especially since I lived through a similar situation

Osiris3657
07-25-10, 02:26 PM
loved this movie. After I watched it I immediately went to Amazon to purchase a copy.

inri222
09-05-10, 01:58 PM
Just saw this. Had low expectations just because I find Robin Williams sometimes annoying. I have to say that I truly enjoyed this film.

Solid Snake
09-06-10, 11:00 PM
It's hilarious, especially since I lived through a similar situation

were you the fucking waste of genetic makeup known as the son?

anomynous
09-06-10, 11:09 PM

I believe I see what you did there

calhoun07
09-07-10, 12:40 AM

Or he was fucking the waste of genetic make up known as the girlfriend.