Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-09, 05:58 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
You want some 90 minute shit? Well look no furthur than Transmorphors pictures a few posts above.

WHy in the hell would you want a summer action movie to give you less? I can understand if for example a smaller film like Whatever Works was 2 and a half hours and you were all like "oh thats too long", but wanting less in a summer action film is just ridiculous. Are you the kinda person that pays for an x-tra large pizza and then proceeds to cut half of it off and throw it away and say its too big?
Dont you people want your money's worth?
Look at the biggest movies ever and their grosses. Loot at how long they last:
Titanic
Dark KNight
Lord of the Rings
Harry Potter
etc. etc. anyone see a pattern on the run times for these films?
well i do and part of the reasons these movies worked is because they told a full story and people were obviously impressed by them.
You still on the whole "2 hours = better" crap? Man, I even thought that joke was getting stale but you seem to be serious.
Old 06-23-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by The O
it's "Bad Boys II" all over again.
Sadder words have never been written.
Old 06-23-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by BJacks
This was one of the worst films I've seen this decade. A boring, bloated mess. And I'm the most un-PC guy on the planet but even I was shocked by the blatant racism. Gold teeth-adorned, streettalk-slinging, ape-looking, weed-smoking illiterate robots? Jesus.
well after reading the reviews, I was looking forward to this less and less. however, now that you posted this, my curiosity is piqued again!
Old 06-23-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

it's "Bad Boys II" all over again.
Sadder words have never been written.
Old 06-23-09, 06:11 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
well after reading the reviews, I was looking forward to this less and less. however, now that you posted this, my curiosity is piqued again!
Same here. Was ready to wait until it hit Blu-ray...but now I just might have to see it.
Old 06-23-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
That's big one of my biggest problems with the series. The Transformers already HAVE relatively clean designs. They just need to update them to look a little more realistic and I think it would have been great. Instead it literally looks like they blew up each car, assembled the pieces to look vaguely humanoid and then created the designs from that.

Very disappointing.
That's why I was always hoping they went with the Binaltech design or something close to it.

...but of course the assholes behind the camera felt it wasn't necessary "to cheat" with the transformation because they specifically wanted every part to go "somewhere". If you watch the special features from the first film you pretty much get an idea that they didn't give two shits about the source material.

IMO I could care less if Alien Robots disguised as vehicles ran on fossil fuels or had moving engine parts.

If it looks like a vehicle and has Robot mode that resembles something close to designs we are all familiar with, then I'm fine with it.
Old 06-23-09, 08:12 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Brian, I agree with everything you wrote, except I think the parents are great. But otherwise, spot on review.

If anyone is curious (as if I haven't said enough on the subject already), my review.

Last edited by Supermallet; 06-23-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slop101
So you cared about the characters?

Hee, hee. Such a faux pas and I had a graph to reference!

To correct myself, I wished them all a slow and painful death.

Last edited by gmal2003; 06-23-09 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-23-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow... it's sad that I ended up not liking Star Trek (and my expectations were pretty low), but I ended up enjoying this movie. I guess it has a lot to do with expectations and how I view the source material.
Old 06-23-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Liked this bit from Roger Ebert:

“Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” is a horrible experience of unbearable length, briefly punctuated by three or four amusing moments. One of these involves a dog-like robot humping the leg of the heroine. Such are the meager joys. If you want to save yourself the ticket price, go into the kitchen, cue up a male choir singing the music of hell, and get a kid to start banging pots and pans together. Then close your eyes and use your imagination…

The battle scenes are bewildering. A Bot makes no visual sense anyway, but two or three tangled up together create an incomprehensible confusion. I find it amusing that creatures that can unfold out of a Camaro and stand four stories high do most of their fighting with…fists. Like I say, dumber than a box of staples.

Realizing Revenge of the Fallen isn’t worth any more of his time or vocabulary, Ebert ends by throwing the words of other critics at it:

I looked up the first [UK] reviews as a reality check. I was reassured: “Like watching paint dry while getting hit over the head with a frying pan!” (Bradshaw, Guardian); “Sums up everything that is most tedious, crass and despicable about modern Hollywood!” (Tookey, Daily Mail); “A giant, lumbering idiot of a movie!” (Edwards, Daily Mirror). The first American review, however, reported that it “feels destined to be the biggest movie of all time” (Todd Gilchrist, Cinematical). It’s certainly the biggest something of all time.

Across the street from the Sun-Times, the Chicago Trib’s Michael Phillips says, “Fox’s cleavage is the only camera object that catches Bay’s attention for more than a millisecond.”
Old 06-23-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by Lara Means

The Incredible Hulk was pure garbage.
Hulk was garbage, the Incredible Hulk was great.
Old 06-23-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
... in Opposite Land.
Old 06-23-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed, loved Incredible Hulk...
Old 06-23-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually liked Bad Boys 2. Still pretty disappointed at the reviews so far. I didn't mind the overkill in Bad Boys, as I love practical action effects but this sounds like a giant turd.
Old 06-23-09, 11:01 PM
Banned

in OPPOSITE LAND!
Old 06-23-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Opposite land doesn't exist. Incredible hulk was good.
Old 06-23-09, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently 24% fresh at RT with some of the most brutal reviews ever written.
Old 06-24-09, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Bay is always an easy target. This 'buzz' isn't much different from Bay's general response.

I'll catch it in the next week-or-so. And I'm always excited to see what Bay will move on to next. Hope it's something original (yea, yea, yea, you know what I'm sayin').
Old 06-24-09, 12:40 AM

My girlfriend doesn't like sci-fi or comic book movies. She feels they are childish and stupid. However, I actually talked her into going to see this one with me. But after all these reviews, I think I'll go alone. I could see myself getting dumped for dragging her to this (and rightfully so).
Old 06-24-09, 01:27 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Bay is always an easy target. This 'buzz' isn't much different from Bay's general response.

I'll catch it in the next week-or-so. And I'm always excited to see what Bay will move on to next. Hope it's something original (yea, yea, yea, you know what I'm sayin').
The reviews for the first Transformers didn't exactly light the world on fire (57% on Rotten Tomatoes), but that's almost triple the percentage Revenge of the Fallen is getting. I'm rewatching the first one now and it feels like Lawrence of Arabia in comparison.
Old 06-24-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Bad. Ass.

Goodnight!
Old 06-24-09, 02:55 AM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Bad...Ass...yes. It was indeed bad and sucked a very large amount of ass!!

Goodmorning!!!
Old 06-24-09, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, i didn't mind it. sure it was stupid but it was entertaining (and i loled at Sam having the bad boys 2 poster) and the final battle scene was like the final 45 min of the movie or so
Old 06-24-09, 03:11 AM

I got to see it for free tonight and I'm glad I did. Anyone whom pays money for this I feel very bad for. I agree with Bjacks that this is on target along with the first Transformers to be on a list for worst films of the decade. Yet again Bay makes a film where you could care less about the characters or really anything that is going on. The action is so overdone that you do feel like your being smacked with a 2x4 in the face. Half the time I really couldn't tell what was going on with all the action. There is that much confusion with Bay's direction of the action, to the point where it gets tedious and old. I also found it funny that the only thing that Fox is used for in the flick is to show her cleavage. I know that she's a good looking female, but come on Bay, your not Russ Meyer! And whomever wrote the script must have taken classes from the Lucas school of scriptwriting, because it's more of the same eye rolling dialog just like the first film. For every great summer film like Star Trek I know we get some bad films, but this summer has been pretty bad so far. This film just takes the cake and is in the running right now for worst film of the year. God I hope this doesn't overtake The Dark Knight's record for best first weekend at the box office.
Old 06-24-09, 03:12 AM

light years better than the first film. optimus prime was kicking all three of megatron, starscream, and blackout ass's all at once. he must have gotten stronger. the action was the best action i have probably ever seen. bay payed more attention to the cartoon this time around. soundwave's voice was the same as the cartoon. also when optimus beat the **** out of megatron at the end, megatron, like in the cartoon, was calling out "starscream" to come and save him....classic megatron. the way prime destroyed the fallen was the icing on the cake. the acting was good. fox was better in this than the first. the humor was better also. easily the best movie this summer and better than iron man of last summer which imo was the best film last summer. bay delivered. i agree that more time could've been payed to sideswipe, who was freakin awesome. same with ironhide, and ratchet. but c'mon, the twins were awesome.
so my pros:
optimus was stronger and kicked more ass.
bumblee kicked more ass and had the crowd clapping when he thrashed ravage and rampage.
all the new transformers were awesome.
better action. the transformation of devastator was one of those cinematic golden eggs.
better story.
fox was hot. as was the female decepticon.
more faithful to the cartoon series. finally.

cons.
not much besides you can tell when they faked the bogus injury to shia's hand to hide the real injury he had in the car crash he was in.
not enough sideswipe, ironhide, and ratchet, but most of all sideswipe, he was way cool.

one more thing, there are a whole lotta more bad actresses than megan fox. for christ's sake, we could've got tara reid. so please fox haters. she was alright in this movie.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.