Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : No Batman 3 until 2013?

Doctor Gonzo
06-19-09, 01:28 AM
From an article posted over on Awardsdaily.com

-----

Total Film is linking to a “trusted source at Batman-on-Film” today, with troubling whispers that there might be no Nolan for Batman 3.

The death of Heath Ledger in January of 2008 rocked Mr. Nolan hard. So hard that Chris was convinced that TDK was going to be it for him and Batman on film. The Joker was going to return in BATMAN 3.

“You are correct in reporting that he is developing story ideas with [Jonathan Nolan] and David Goyer, but it will be until AT LEAST 2012 before we see the Caped Crusader back [in theaters]. And that is only an EARLY ESTIMATE at best right now. They are even saying it might not be until 2013.”

Basically, the BATMAN film franchise is back to square one. As far as a story or a BATMAN 3, “Right now, there is none,” says our guy.

A 5-year wait between sequel installments isn’t unheard of — The Last Crusade came 5 years after The Temple of Doom — but such a gap usually follows a creative falter. The loss of momentum between now and 2013 or even 2012 seems unthinkable in the acclaimed wake of Warner Brothers’ billion dollar baby.

What are the options? (A) recast the Joker? (B) recast the director? With names like Zack Snyder being bandied about, that kind of speculation feels too ridiculous to consider. But that’s not stopping people from coming up with all sorts of absurd alternative universe scenarios. CHUD.com outlines the best set of possibilities I’ve seen:

1) Nolan is smart, and knows he can never top himself, and will just serve as a producer on the next film.

2) Nolan is notoriously hard to get to commit on a project like this; with a big huge movie in his sights the last thing he wants to do is start thinking about another big huge movie.

3) Nolan knows it’s fait accompli that he’ll be back so he’s doing some contract negotiations in the press. Enough of us on the internet cover this story it gets picked up in the mainstream media, and Warner Bros suits start sweating and trying to figure out how much money they can throw at this director. God knows this wouldn’t be the first time such a tactic has been used.

yeah, I’m thinking that third thing.

Lt. James Gordon: They’ll hunt you.
Batman: You’ll hunt me. You’ll condemn me. Set the dogs on me. Because that’s what needs to happen.

dsa_shea
06-19-09, 01:42 AM
It would have been nice to see the Joker again but because it wasn't meant to be doesn't mean that the franchise should be dormant for so long. Nolan just needs to collect his money and keep this franchise rolling.

JasonF
06-19-09, 02:53 AM
I'd rather get a movie as good as TDK in five years than a mediocre movie in two.

RagingBull80
06-19-09, 03:11 AM
I'd rather get a movie as good as TDK in five years than a mediocre movie in two.
Agreed.

Axeramm
06-19-09, 03:12 AM
Why dont they wait a few movies and use the Joker as a Kingpin behind the scenes character. Then they could have another actor take over the role and it wouldnt be so hard.

dsa_shea
06-19-09, 03:48 AM

There's no guarantee that if they wait five years that it will be good. Sometimes things run their course, people lose interest and then other people take over and do their thing. That is how we ended up with Batman and Robin.

Mopower
06-19-09, 09:23 AM
Good maybe people will stop gushing about TDK on message boards enough to have a year or two without hearing about it.

riotinmyskull
06-19-09, 09:25 AM
Good maybe people will stop gushing about TDK on message boards enough to have a year or two without hearing about it.

:thumbsup:

Charlie Goose
06-19-09, 09:50 AM
Why dont they wait a few movies and use the Joker as a Kingpin behind the scenes character. Then they could have another actor take over the role and it wouldnt be so hard.
I think that would be against the character itself. The Joker doesn't want to be behind the scenes, he wants to be in the thick of the mess.

Hokeyboy
06-19-09, 09:56 AM
You shouldn't let message board posts overpower your sensitivities so handily. :shrug:

RichC2
06-19-09, 10:45 AM
So we know nothing more about Batman 3 than we did last year, great.

They've been showing TDK on HBO a lot, great flick :D.

Mopower
06-19-09, 10:52 AM
You shouldn't let message board posts overpower your sensitivities so handily. :shrug:

Well unlike what the geek internet collective thinks, TDK wasn't the greatest movie ever made. Shocking but it's the truth.

dx23
06-19-09, 10:53 AM
Just to hear a rumor of Zack Snyder and the Batman franchise in the same sentence just makes me mad. That hack should not get even mentioned when talking about the Batman franchise. If he directs the next film, it will be as bad as when Joel Schumacher took over the Tim Burton franchise.

RichC2
06-19-09, 11:03 AM
Zack Snyder isn't much of a director. He's good with visuals but doesn't actually grasp the concept that there is more to directing a movie.

Ronnie Dobbs
06-19-09, 11:13 AM
Zack Snyder would be a terrible fit for the Batman movies. He'll make it too action orientented.

GoldenJCJ
06-19-09, 11:28 AM
As much as I'd like to see a Batman 3, if Nolan isn't involved I'd rather it wasn't made at all.

I'm sure Ledger's death took the wind out of Nolan's sails - especially if he'd envisioned Part 3 to Joker-centric - but I would hope he wouldn't let Ledger's death stop him from bringing that vision to fruition.

As much as I liked Ledger as The Joker he wasn't so great that the part could never be recast. If Nolan went with another Joker (IMO, an unknown actor would be best) no one would fault him for it.

Mountain Biker
06-19-09, 11:30 AM
Well unlike what the geek internet collective thinks, TDK wasn't the greatest movie ever made. Shocking but it's the truth.

:thumbsup:

islandclaws
06-19-09, 11:54 AM
I'm fine with this. Look, I think that TDK is a very good flick, but it's not the greatest ever made. Not by a long shot. Nolan will be back and this'll get done after Inception, I'm sure of it.

Hokeyboy
06-19-09, 12:14 PM
Of course you realize you're overdramatizing; it's a well-loved movie (often to the point of hyperbole) but don't confuse enthusiasm for absolutes.

Artman
06-19-09, 12:41 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if it's 2012, Inception's sounding like a bigger movie than first expected. Nolan finished Prestige in Nov, giving him a yr and half production time... so if Inception's out next summer, very unlikely he can film Batman 3 that summer as well.

2013 would be hard to handle... but maybe it will have been a number of yrs before Batman returns to Gotham anyways...

fumanstan
06-19-09, 12:47 PM
Of course you realize you're overdramatizing; it's a well-loved movie (often to the point of hyperbole) but don't confuse enthusiasm for absolutes.

Yeah, the hype around Dark Knight being the best movie EVER has drifted away long ago. It's funny to see people still trying to knock it like that.

DVD Josh
06-19-09, 12:51 PM

I personally thought that Batman Begins was the better film.

At least it didn't have Batman Goes to China.

Mondo Kane
06-19-09, 12:53 PM
They've been showing TDK on HBO a lot, great flick :D.

I didn't get the DVD (I'm waiting for the inevitable "Ultimate Collector's Edition") but It's been good to catch this on HBO (HD)

Can't resist tuning in for about 5 minutes.

PopcornTreeCt
06-19-09, 12:56 PM
I think they need to put things in perspective and realize The Dark Knight isn't the greatest thing in the world and they can make a movie just as good. Probably not going to make the same amount of money though, but quality wise, it's not like it's untouchable.

Seven%Solution
06-19-09, 01:41 PM

But it did have Batman Goes to Japan!

costanza
06-19-09, 01:41 PM
I personally thought that Batman Begins was the better film.

He went to Japan in the first one, didn't he?

Giantrobo
06-19-09, 01:42 PM

Yep

majorjoe23
06-19-09, 01:50 PM
As much as I liked Ledger as The Joker he wasn't so great that the part could never be recast. If Nolan went with another Joker (IMO, an unknown actor would be best) no one would fault him for it.

You've never met a fanboy, have you?

Hokeyboy
06-19-09, 02:21 PM
I'll be honest, I *loved* TDK and thought it was a superior genre movie, but if Nolan decided to never make another Batman movie again, I'd be perfectly fine with that. He is such a talented and visionary filmmaker that I'm more than excited to see what the director of Memento, Insomnia, and The Prestige comes up with next.

What I like about Nolan is that, first and foremost, it's about the storytelling. His movies are about something and follow through on their inherent themes and ideas; it's not just big "high concept" ideas that end up half-baked and overcooked at the same time.

mrhan
06-19-09, 03:23 PM
He went to Japan in the first one, didn't he?

No, he was somewhere near Tibet in the first one and in the second one he went to Hong Kong.

mcnabb
06-19-09, 04:23 PM
If I were Nolan, I would stop with TDK and walk away on top. As history shows, the third movie is usually a disappointment: Jedi, Superman III, Matrix Revolutions, Spiderman III, Xmen 3, Back to the Future III. Now some of these are good sequels, but other then Return of the King, which is from source material and party of a trilogy.

Sure we like our closure with our trilogies, but they always disappoint.

Fist of Doom
06-19-09, 04:35 PM
If I were Nolan, I would stop with TDK and walk away on top. As history shows, the third movie is usually a disappointment: Jedi, Superman III, Matrix Revolutions, Spiderman III, Xmen 3, Back to the Future III. Now some of these are good sequels, but other then Return of the King, which is from source material and party of a trilogy.

This.

It would be nearly impossible to top TDK, both creatively and at the box office. Nolan should pull a Costanza and walk out on top. "I'm out!"

stinkeye
06-19-09, 04:36 PM

http://www.popartuk.com/g/l/lgfp1728+mrt-as-clubber-langer-rocky-iii-poster.jpg

chris_sc77
06-19-09, 04:45 PM
I just hope they bring back the joker.
Another great trilogy capper is of course the Good the bad and the Ugly,

Maybe they can do the Gordon, the Batman, and the JOker?
I dont know. But if the cast is back i am there. I'll be there anyways cause i love me some batman though

Matthew Chmiel
06-19-09, 05:39 PM
There's never been a good third installment of any franchise. There's very few exceptions to the rule, but when it applies to trilogies, the success rate is pretty much zero.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy Matrix Revolutions, Back to the Future: Part III, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors; but 99% of the time, the third entry is guaranteed to suck.

If Nolan didn't want to do it, then he shouldn't do it. I'll take two strong films over two strong films and a mediocre film. However, if Warner gives him millions and the ability to have creative and financial control for additional films in exchange to make a Batman 3, I can see why he would revisit the franchise.

dhmac
06-19-09, 06:39 PM
Although I'd be fine if this movie series ended with TDK, the fact is that there will be a 3rd Batman film in this series, no matter what. TDK made Warner Bros. too much money for that not to happen. It doesn't need the Joker because there's plenty of other good choices for a villain in Batman's rogue galley (how about a properly done Catwoman or Riddler instead?) - it just needs Nolan (and Christian Bale) to return for it to have the best chance of being a good-to-great movie.

My Other Self
06-19-09, 06:54 PM
I'd prefer to see what Nolan envisions for a third film. He obviously had no intention of wrapping it up with TDK. Nolan is a visionary director, I think the chances of a third Batman faltering would be slime-to-none.

TheMovieman
06-19-09, 07:07 PM
IDK, I thought I read the deal with Inception was Warner would finance it in exchange for a third Batman movie (along with a pay raise, of course)...

Anubis2005X
06-19-09, 08:36 PM
I thought TDK was Joker-centric enough. There are plenty of other villains out there that could be used to piss off Batman in the third film...

RichC2
06-19-09, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I don't see how the Joker would fit into the third movie.

GoldenJCJ
06-19-09, 10:18 PM
You've never met a fanboy, have you?

Bah, fanboys can suck it! They'll raise hell in the internet, bitch and moan about how horrible an idea it is, complain that it'll tarnish TDK, and they'll still be the first in line to buy tickets.

People make fun of fanboys for a reason...

PopcornTreeCt
06-19-09, 11:32 PM
There's never been a good third installment of any franchise. There's very few exceptions to the rule, but when it applies to trilogies, the success rate is pretty much zero.

Don't get me wrong; I enjoy Matrix Revolutions, Back to the Future: Part III, and Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors; but 99% of the time, the third entry is guaranteed to suck.

If Nolan didn't want to do it, then he shouldn't do it. I'll take two strong films over two strong films and a mediocre film. However, if Warner gives him millions and the ability to have creative and financial control for additional films in exchange to make a Batman 3, I can see why he would revisit the franchise.

That was his reasoning for being hesitant about The Dark Knight. There are very, very few sequels that are better than the original. Yet he was successful. If he actually made a third movie in a series that was as good or better than the previous, he would be the first.

RichC2
06-19-09, 11:39 PM
Nolan is one of the few current directors where I appreciate his work more as time goes on. Mostly because they seem to get swallowed by hype (at least, Memento ("It's like having a Sixth Sense revelation every 10 minutes!"), The Prestige, Batman Begins and The Dark Knight) upon initial release.

How dare he pick subject matter that Internet geeks actually like :(

Solid Snake
06-20-09, 12:33 AM
I think he said once that a 3rd part is very risky cuz well it always sucks. It's clear that TDK laid out for the Joker to be back. What nobody and not even their mother saw was that TDK would be as good or as financially successful as it was (money wise Ledger's death may or may not be the cause of it, I think it got even more ppl in theaters). Financially speaking, I heavily doubt 3 will make as much bank as TDK. It'll hit the still great $300 million for sure. Critically speaking now, I think he has a chance to top TDK. Though...as much as I'd hate to wait so long..I'd prefer for him to tackle that curse slowly and come out with an even more amazing Batman flick. I'm interested in what Nolan will do AFTER he's done with the Batman flicks..how will the people respond once his BIG films are done?

Groucho
06-20-09, 12:57 AM
As long as he doesn't get an emo hairdo and strut down the street to "Stayin' Alive", I will consider this a smashing success.

fumanstan
06-20-09, 01:02 AM
That was his reasoning for being hesitant about The Dark Knight. There are very, very few sequels that are better than the original. Yet he was successful. If he actually made a third movie in a series that was as good or better than the previous, he would be the first.

In the comic book movie realm, it seems like most sequels are better then the originals :shrug:

Artman
06-20-09, 01:56 AM
Hopefully WB waits for Nolan, whether it's 2012 or 13. They've got a Harry Potter film for the next three yrs, plus they could do a Superman sequel in the meantime.

PopcornTreeCt
06-20-09, 02:50 AM
In the comic book movie realm, it seems like most sequels are better then the originals :shrug:

Hmm...

What I prefer:

Batman
Batman Returns

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight

Blade
Blade 2

Fantastic Four
Fantastic Four 2

Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2

Superman
Superman 2

X-Men
X-Men 2

--

You may be onto something there.

kstublen
06-20-09, 03:02 AM
What they should do for the third movie is have a lot of crimes that make it look like The Joker is out again. Batman will visit Arkham Asylum and realize that it can't possibly be The Joker because he is still locked up. Then have it be Harley Quinn, who The Joker met and corrupted while she was helping treat him at Arkham. This would allow them to call back to The Joker and maybe just have him in the shadows; use some old Heath Ledger vocals and just get a body double to play him. Then have Batman also have to deal with being chased by the police and perhaps introduce someone else, like Catwoman.

Son of Odin
06-20-09, 03:55 AM
I'm just glad they are not rushing it. quality over quantity. i can wait 5 years if need be as long the script is right and nolan returns. it's obvious warner, like marvel studios and unlike Fox, wants to make good quality comic book films. the problem that goyer and nolan are going to run into is that after riddler and raz, batman's villains are really lame. i can't see the likes of freeze and riddler being pulled off by any great script. they are corny villains. i think if nolan can't find something he is really driven by, he should leave while on a high note. i wouldn't blame him. i do like kstublen's idea though, but the actress that pulls off harley quinn would have to be lights out talented to follow up what heath did with the joker.

Supermallet
06-20-09, 05:13 AM
I'd prefer to see what Nolan envisions for a third film. He obviously had no intention of wrapping it up with TDK. Nolan is a visionary director, I think the chances of a third Batman faltering would be slime-to-none.

He has consistently said that he didn't make this movie with a third one in mind, and that he put in this everything he ever wanted to see in a Batman movie. That doesn't mean he had no ideas for a third movie (obviously he intended The Joker to be in it), but he didn't make The Dark Knight as a lead-in to Batman III, he made it to be its own movie.

My Other Self
06-20-09, 09:19 AM
He has consistently said that he didn't make this movie with a third one in mind, and that he put in this everything he ever wanted to see in a Batman movie. That doesn't mean he had no ideas for a third movie (obviously he intended The Joker to be in it), but he didn't make The Dark Knight as a lead-in to Batman III, he made it to be its own movie.Yeah, I'd agree. I had a discussion with someone after I read this news tidbit and you can tell Nolan pretty much had it as a film on its own. I mean you could easily sit down and watch TDK without seeing Begins - that's partially what brought it to it's $1 Billion gross last year. Out of all the people that I knew saw out, not one other person besides me had even seen Begins. So I can see that.