Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Most Disappointing Comic Book Adaptation to Screen?

jeffbase34
06-18-09, 10:46 AM
As a comic book fan, it is pure tragedy to see a beloved series get totally trashed and raped on the big screen, but adapting a comic book to live action is no easy task. You can stay true to the fans like Watchmen, but alienate the mainstream.

So what adaption has let you down the most? Mine is:

The Fantastic Four

Being a fan of the FF since childhood, I was really excited that CGI and special effects had evolved to where a good movie version of the superhero team could be done. IMO, the FF stands as Marvel's finest series. While other superheroes battled earth bound super villains, the FF constantly faced threats that would destroy the entire earth or even the universe. The enemies were huge, and so creative. Mole Man, Anniulus, the Kree, the Skrulls, Doctor Doom, the Puppet Master, the list goes on...

After the success of Xmen and Spiderman, I expected a similar movie experience. Heck, I even enjoyed Daredevil. Instead, I received a colossal letdown. Fantastic Four the movie tried to be an action comedy while failing on both fronts. The origin story was completely changed. Doctor Doom, one of the greatest villains of all time, was given a lame origin story with an out of place reference to Latveria. Doom, the master of invention and evil, was reduced to some dude who shot lightning bolts.

Everything about the movie was a mess from the acting, the pacing, and weak action sets. It was like they made the movie for people who never heard of the comic.

To this day, I am puzzled why the FF was given a light comic tone, and not a serious adaption like Xmen.

Ash Ketchum
06-18-09, 10:57 AM
Agreed, THE FANTASTIC FOUR (2005) is the most disappointing. And its 2007 sequel is possibly even worse.

A close third, in terms of disappointment, is the 1943 15-chapter Republic Pictures serial of CAPTAIN AMERICA, starring Dick Purcell. They turned him into just another masked crime-fighter, with no powers. They took away the wings on his head mask. They took away his shield and gave him a revolver instead. And they took away his boots and put him in tights with shoes!!!

fumanstan
06-18-09, 11:11 AM
I enjoyed Fantastic Four, especially the extended cut. I think my most disappointing was Superman Returns.

PopcornTreeCt
06-18-09, 11:13 AM
Are we talking about the old Fantastic Four movie? Because the new ones were good. I'll say Ang Lee's Hulk movie was by far the most disappointing for me.

islandclaws
06-18-09, 11:14 AM
I usually avoid most of the really terrible looking comic adaptations, but the worst I have personally seen was Daredevil.

jeffbase34
06-18-09, 11:22 AM
Are we talking about the old Fantastic Four movie? Because the new ones were good. I'll say Ang Lee's Hulk movie was by far the most disappointing for me.

I'm talking about the 2005 version directed by Tim Story. Why in the world would they hire the director of Taxi and Barbershop for such a big film? Ang Lee was an awful choice as well.

McHawkson
06-18-09, 12:24 PM
Daredevil is the most disappointed and X-Men (or should I call it Wolverine Original?) 1-3 came second.

Both of them are one of my favorite comic books, especially Elektra (Daredevil) and Phoenix (X-Men). They were basically ruined in movie. Elektra looks weak and ridiculous - Phoenix's character is pretty much far from original - completely different character.

Bandit03
06-18-09, 12:28 PM
My most disappointing one would have to be Superman Returns. I'm a big Superman fan and that movie was just a big let down. It's not the worst superhero film (that honor goes to Daredevil), but being such a big Superman fan, I just expected and hoped for more.

As for the Fantastic Four ('05 and '07), I loved those movies :)

Goat3001
06-18-09, 01:09 PM
Spider-Man 3 by far (I'm surprised no one has mentioned this). Obviously not the worst but easily the most disappointing.

The first was excellent. It was one of the first of the recent comic book movies that wasn't all dumb action but told a good story while keeping it light.

The second was, at the time, considered by pretty much everyone to be the best comic book movie ever. It still ranks in my top 3 and I'm sure many of you can say the same.

The hype surrounding the third was incredible. It was supposed to be darker and grittier. Then it just turned out to be a huge turd. Emo Peter Parker was almost a slap in the face to those that watched the first 2 films a dozen times and waited eagerly for the third.

Palaver
06-18-09, 01:19 PM
Howard the Duck

Hokeyboy
06-18-09, 01:19 PM
FANTASTIC FOUR (2005) was pretty much garbage from start to finish. I actually enjoyed the sequel, though. It wasn't a great movie, or even a very good one, but it was decent.

The one that *probably* disappointed me the most was JUDGE DREDD (1995). I loved the original comics, was a huge 2000 AD fan in general, and that movie was pretty much an abortion. From the misguided casting of Stallone and the cringeworthy comic relief from Rob Schneider, to the direction, editing, tone, EVERYTHING was off (save for Max von Sydow and Armand Assante). MegaCity One was supposed to be this grungy, polluted, excessive sprawl gone insane environment, not this gleaming hyper-futuristic pop opera. The JUDGE DREDD environment should be lean, sepia, and brutal, not shiny, colorful, and bloated.

SUPERMAN RETURNS is probably second, even though I thought the movie was decent but very flawed. As I mentioned in another thread, Bryan Singer had absolutely *ZERO* understanding of the Superman character and world EXCEPT for what he saw in the first Superman movie... which is why he regurgitated it.

chris_sc77
06-18-09, 01:24 PM
Fantastic Four and Fantastic Four 2 I would say. These are abominable pieces of shit.
Just truly disgusting and lazy filmmaking.

devilshalo
06-18-09, 01:33 PM
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/528696-ews-20-worst-comic-book-movies.html

Most disappointing for me was Daredevil. Even the Director's Cut couldn't save it no mattter how much better it was than the theaterical release.

chess
06-18-09, 01:35 PM
Spider-Man 3 and Batman and Robin are tied for me. Sequels to franchises that I'd enjoyed to that point..that were just terrible.

Hokeyboy
06-18-09, 01:43 PM
Yeah but was B&R really as disappointing? It's a shit movie, no question, but the franchise had already taken a turn to the shitter in the previous movie, so it's not like expectations were that big.

riley_dude
06-18-09, 02:11 PM
Fantastic 4 and Daredevil.

Solid Snake
06-18-09, 02:23 PM
To me the most disappointing one was Daredevil...the worst one...I dunno..Batman & Robin?

theflicker
06-18-09, 02:27 PM
I was really disappointed by Watchmen. It was less a movie and more a book on tape.

I enjoyed the Fantastic Four movies for what they are, though they could be a lot better.

I knew Daredevil was going to be terrible so I wasn't exactly disappointed when I finally saw it.

Oh and Ang Lee's Hulk might be my favorite superhero movie, but that could be a result of how maligned it is. I do think it's very good though.

I also really like Superman Returns and hate Batman Begins. So, I'm extremely in the minority, I guess.

Giles
06-18-09, 02:30 PM
I never saw the 1994 Fantastic Four - but I've heard it pretty much reeks.

http://www.ioffer.com/img/item/786/071/51/2IWVV1jkKZ2Jdbk.jpg

Ronnie Dobbs
06-18-09, 02:33 PM
Ghost Rider and Constantine (Hellblazer) had sooo much potential to be bad ass. Casting Nicholas Cage and Keanu Reeves were terrible.

Redo Hellblazer with Clive Owen. That series is awesome.

Also The Punisher was pretty forgettable too.

Jacoby Ellsbury
06-18-09, 02:33 PM
ninja turtles
Punisher

all of em

Maxflier
06-18-09, 02:34 PM
Batman and Robin.

I can't believe so many people hate Daredevil, I liked it.

DieselsDen
06-18-09, 02:36 PM
By far, the most disappointing is SUPERMAN IV, with SUPERMAN III a close second.

After the train wreck of SUPERMAN III, it was good to hear that Margot Kidder would be back, along with Gene Hackman, and that Christopher Reeve would be co-writing the script and directing second unit. And then...Cannon slashed the budget by over a half, and the film was released incomplete.

You can't imagine seeing it on the big screen, and noticing right away that the opening credits were cheesy, and that the first scene outer space is in big, big trouble once the model of the cosmonaut clearly loses his head after being hit by space junk. You felt like you were watching a work in progress.

BATMAN FOREVER and BATMAN AND ROBIN weren't too disappointing to me, because I didn't like BATMAN RETURNS.

I thought DAREDEVIL was okay. I liked it slightly better than the overrated SPIDER-MAN films.

Singer's X-MEN films were pretty damn good.

jeffbase34
06-18-09, 03:23 PM
Batman and Robin.

I can't believe so many people hate Daredevil, I liked it.

I don't understand the Daredevil hate either. It stayed true to the comic, and I enjoyed Bullseye as a villian. With Fantastic Four, the film is very loosely based on the comic which pisses me off.

devilshalo
06-18-09, 03:49 PM
I don't understand the Daredevil hate either. It stayed true to the comic, and I enjoyed Bullseye as a villian.
I liked the director's cut of the film. But this is about DISAPPOINTING comic book films as opposed to ones people HATE.

I feel DD could have been so much more than it is (especially since he is my favorite Marvel character), but the choice of director and its actors left me less than thrilled with the final product. The director's cut fixed a lot of problems the studio forced on MSJ, but Bennifer's acting as well as MCD as Kingpin just really let me down.

AnonomusBob15
06-18-09, 04:24 PM
i'm not big into comics, but I was anticipating the reboot if The Incredible Hulk. I admired aspects of Ang Lee's Hulk, but it wasn't a very enjoyable film, nor was The Incredible Hulk. Now I can't decided which one I dislike more. I had become weary when they announced the director would be the guy who did Transporter 2.

In this new age of comic book movies, the only ones i've enjoyed were X2, Spider-Man 2, Iron Man, and the Batman movies. Hard for me to call films like Elektra and Daredevil disappointing when they dont interest me to begin with. Didn't the same guy direct Ghost Rider, Elektra, and Daredevil? I was anticipating Watchmen though. I didn't like 300 all that much, but I loved the Dawn of the Dead remake, so I had faith and was extremely disappointed with that (if were are counting graphic novels).

Superman Returns is an enjoyable movie for me as well, though I don't plan to revisit it very often. I am really hoping for a sequel on this one though, almost as much as Batman.

moonraker
06-18-09, 04:55 PM
SUPER GIRL (1984). I'm stunned nobody has nominated this turkey yet.

This was actually so bad that I use the term "endured" rather than "watched" to describe the two hours or so I wasted on this film. One of the 10 worst films I have ever endured, period.

Everything about this film is bad to downright awful: the story, the dialog, the acting, the cinematography, the special effects. Hard to believe that Peter O'Toole was in this!

Really, this one is so bad that it makes Daredevil and Batman & Robin look good by comparison (and those were very, very poor films in their own right).

I confess to enjoying the Fantastic Four flicks, though. Could they have been better? Absolutely. But are they entertaining enough for me to watch repeatedly? Yes. They have a certain charm to them, and while they lack tension and excitement, the actors are clearly having fun with the roles and the fun carries over to me and I find myself enjoying these films.

Hokeyboy
06-18-09, 05:12 PM

This was actually so bad that I use the term "endured" rather than "watched" to describe the two hours or so I wasted on this film. One of the 10 worst films I have ever endured, period.

Everything about this film is bad to downright awful: the story, the dialog, the acting, the cinematography, the special effects. Hard to believe that Peter O'Toole was in this!

Really, this one is so bad that it makes Daredevil and Batman & Robin look good by comparison (and those were very, very poor films in their own right).

I confess to enjoying the Fantastic Four flicks, though. Could they have been better? Absolutely. But are they entertaining enough for me to watch repeatedly? Yes. They have a certain charm to them, and while they lack tension and excitement, the actors are clearly having fun with the roles and the fun carries over to me and I find myself enjoying these films.
Yeah it was a BAD movie, but was it DISAPPOINTING to you? Did you have high expectations that were woefully undercut? I don't think anyone thought much of Supergirl going INTO it, same with Batman & Robin and Elektra.

moonraker
06-18-09, 05:40 PM
Yeah it was a BAD movie, but was it DISAPPOINTING to you? Did you have high expectations that were woefully undercut? I don't think anyone thought much of Supergirl going INTO it, same with Batman & Robin and Elektra.

Ahhh.... ok, point taken. SUPER GIRL ranks as the worst super hero movie I've seen (and I admit I haven't seen them all) but perhaps not the most disappointing based on prior expectations.

For most disappointing then, I would nominate SUPERMAN RETURNS. This was a chance to get the franchise back on the right track, and instead it was a useless snoozefest.

McHawkson
06-18-09, 06:34 PM
I don't understand the Daredevil hate either. It stayed true to the comic, and I enjoyed Bullseye as a villian.

It did not stay true to the comic. -rolleyes- I didn't see Elektra being assassin for Kingpin. I didn't see Matt (Daredevil) met Elektra in college and her father was gunned down by group of police that they thought he was one of bad guy. And I didn't see Bulleye escape from prison and challenge Elektra for Kingpin's assassin position.

Stayed true to comic book? Ha.

rw2516
06-18-09, 06:45 PM
My two cents from a lifelong F.F. fan. The comic is so epic and sci-fi rooted that the only way I can see pulling off a movie is to make it on scale with a Star Wars budget and effects. And tone. The F.F. is just to "fantastic" to look anything but hokey and silly otherwise.

DieselsDen
06-18-09, 07:40 PM
Ahhh.... ok, point taken. SUPER GIRL ranks as the worst super hero movie I've seen (and I admit I haven't seen them all) but perhaps not the most disappointing based on prior expectations.

Well, it's SUPERGIRL. Not SUPER [space] GIRL.

With that correction in mind, you should re-watch it. It will definitely change your opinion. :)

project86
06-18-09, 08:00 PM
i'm not big into comics, but I was anticipating the reboot if The Incredible Hulk. I admired aspects of Ang Lee's Hulk, but it wasn't a very enjoyable film, nor was The Incredible Hulk. Now I can't decided which one I dislike more. I had become weary when they announced the director would be the guy who did Transporter 2.

Well, he did Danny The Dog/Unleashed before that, which was a stinkin' bad-a movie. I do agree though, both hulks were mediocre.

calhoun07
06-18-09, 08:21 PM
SWAMP THING. They had Alan Moore's work to draw inspiration from...so what happened.

Not that was bad enough, but then there was MAN-THING. Granted, it premired directly to Sci-Fi but when it was first announced, I had seriously high hopes for it. Look what Marvel managed to do with Blade....they could make Man Thing work if they devoted time and effort to it. Uh, not so much.

I will echo sentiments already expressed about Supergirl and Howard the Duck. Howard the Duck should have been animated, and it should have been at least PG-13, if not R. But the studio would never allow that, would they? And while Supergirl was a turkey, I really don't know how they could have done better with it, because of the time it was made and all. Good action movies starring women were very rare back then.

Which brings me to RED SONJA. The 80's was really a terrible time for comic book movies and even a worse time for comic books starring women. Not that things got better...10 years later we got TANK GIRL.

I probably could think of more if I allowed my memory to go to the dark corners of my mind, but I just want to say compared to those movies, recent offerings like Fantastic Four and Daredevil are masterpieces.

The worst more modern day offerings are SPIDER MAN 3 and ELEKTRA.

EDIT: I am hard pressed to think of ANY comic book movie starring a woman that was good. Action comic, that is...because Ghost World would be the best comic book to movie adaptation starring women.

majorjoe23
06-18-09, 09:31 PM
SWAMP THING. They had Alan Moore's work to draw inspiration from...so what happened.
[/B].

The Swamp Thing movie came out two years before Moore's run on the book started. But Swamp Thing II has no excuse.

Jaymole
06-18-09, 09:36 PM
Fantastic Four

EdTheRipper
06-18-09, 10:00 PM
Ang Lee's Hulk. I started watching it and got so bored with it that I turned it off about an hour in. I've never touched the dvd again.

foofighters7
06-18-09, 10:45 PM
I thought Ang Lee's Hulk was quite good and one of the best made of the recent comic book films.

I thought Fantastic Four was terrible, and should have went a COMPLETELY different way. Darker, less goofiness. I also agree ,to have THAT director on board was stupid from the word go.

Match
06-18-09, 11:08 PM

It may be the worst movie, but Helen Slater was cute back then.
http://www.onopen.com/upload/supergirl_1.jpg

I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Ghost Rider was awful.

DieselsDen
06-18-09, 11:32 PM
It may be the worst movie, but Helen Slater was cute back then.
http://www.onopen.com/upload/supergirl_1.jpg

I thought League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Ghost Rider was awful.

I disliked LEAGUE also. GHOST RIDER was bad, but then again, the comic wasn't exactly high art, either.

And yes, Helen Slater looked great and was great as SUPERGIRL.

Crocker Jarmen
06-18-09, 11:58 PM
EDIT: I am hard pressed to think of ANY comic book movie starring a woman that was good. Action comic, that is...because Ghost World would be the best comic book to movie adaptation starring women.

Funny, I wasn't going to bring up Ghost World since this thread is mostly on superhero comics/movies, but I was terrible disappointed when I first saw what Clowes and Zwigoff did with the adaptation. What I loved so much about the comic was the way it followed the slow dissolution of the friendship between Enid and Rebecca. I was sad to see the movie version push Rebecca into the background so it could focus on Enid becoming friends with Steve Buscemi.

I can enjoy the movie now for what it is, but it creates none of the emotion the comic does.

NOTE: I was also sorry they did not include the hilarious scene of the weirdo looking out the window and telling everyone on the street what celebrity they resemble, "You look like Homer Simpson... You look like Bosely off Charlie's Angels..."

Apple Gooncha
06-19-09, 12:14 AM
Hellblazer. Love the comics, love the character. Once I knew Keanu was in it, I knew it would be awful.

Hokeyboy
06-19-09, 08:05 AM
Well, it's SUPERGIRL. Not SUPER [space] GIRL.

With that correction in mind, you should re-watch it. It will definitely change your opinion. :)
This opinion is bubkis. That movie blows serious moosenuts.

jeffbase34
06-19-09, 09:13 AM
It did not stay true to the comic. -rolleyes- I didn't see Elektra being assassin for Kingpin. I didn't see Matt (Daredevil) met Elektra in college and her father was gunned down by group of police that they thought he was one of bad guy. And I didn't see Bulleye escape from prison and challenge Elektra for Kingpin's assassin position.

Stayed true to comic book? Ha.

Well I stand corrected. I usually don't get that nit picky about minor details, but when they totally change the origin story like with FF, that pisses me off. From what I remember, the origin of Daredevil was kept true to the comics, and I thought they did a great job of illustrating his special sense of seeing.

Obviously, they have to take some license. Bullseye would have looked ridiculous in his original costume.

Travis McClain
06-19-09, 02:52 PM
I enjoyed Daredevil and felt it retained the spirit of Frank Miller's run, even if it re-wrote the actual events. Which brings me to a point about comic adaptations. It's hard to really discuss these in today's movie-making climate because they have been increasingly faithful to the source material, whereas previously many scripts simply took the characters and wrote an entirely new story around them. So, with that in mind, I would nominate:

Most Disappointing All-New Story Based on Existing Comics Characters: Batman & Robin, for squandering what could have been a great movie featuring the tragic Mr. Freeze and the socially-conscious Poison Ivy, to say nothing of turning mastermind Bane into a glorified goon.

Most Disappointing Faithful Adaptation: Watchmen. Zack Snyder was so concerned about getting every panel translated to film that he somehow managed to miss the feeling of the original comics.

DieselsDen
06-19-09, 03:26 PM
This opinion is bubkis. That movie blows serious moosenuts.

No, seriously. Watch the monster tractor scene. It's pretty exciting the way it goes around smashing churches and gas stations before Super Girl has to stop it.

Also, watch the scene where she gets trapped in the Phantom Zone, especially with all the blatant visual continuity errors. It puts Richard Donner's work to shame.

mrhan
06-19-09, 03:31 PM
The worst ever superhero movie has to be the Wonder Woman movie from 1974. I saw this when it first came out and all I could think was WTF?!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072419/

http://www.emphatic.com/bobg/wonder-woman.jpg

http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/1160204400/_i/14534978/1.jpg

moonraker
06-19-09, 04:27 PM
No, seriously. Watch the monster tractor scene. It's pretty exciting the way it goes around smashing churches and gas stations before Super Girl has to stop it.

Also, watch the scene where she gets trapped in the Phantom Zone, especially with all the blatant visual continuity errors. It puts Richard Donner's work to shame.

You ARE joking, right?

The monster tractor scene is downright pathetic and is a prime example of the B-movieness of this film. In fact, calling it a B-movie is actually an insult to B-movies.

I agree that Helen Slater was easy on the eyes, but that still frame shot posted up above is infinitely more appealing to view than the movie itself.

moonraker
06-19-09, 04:31 PM
The worst ever superhero movie has to be the Wonder Woman movie from 1974. I saw this when it first came out and all I could think was WTF?!!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072419/

http://www.emphatic.com/bobg/wonder-woman.jpg

http://i3.iofferphoto.com/img/1160204400/_i/14534978/1.jpg

I remember watching this on TV back in 1974! Is this movie available to rent/watch anywhere? I'd love to see it again as an adult, if nothing more than to see how bad it might really be.

Jason
06-19-09, 05:00 PM
To this day, I am puzzled why the FF was given a light comic tone, and not a serious adaption like Xmen.

I always thought the FF were fairly "light" to start with, but I agree the films are really disappointing.

RichC2
06-19-09, 05:04 PM
I agree, The Fantastic Four was pretty bad.

http://members.tripod.com/hamrman52/PICFFFIRSTMOVIEFORBLOG.jpg

majorjoe23
06-19-09, 08:24 PM
I always thought the FF were fairly "light" to start with, but I agree the films are really disappointing.

The Fantastic Four has always walked a fine line between light and dark. No matter what, a FF movie should be fun. X-Men is too dark, the FF movie that was made was too light.

mugwump
06-19-09, 08:34 PM
I've pretty much always expected the worst from comic book films and tend to only get riled up when they totally bastardize one of my favorite characters. Since I'm a big Dr. Doom fan I despise the FF movies even though I think they did a fairly decent job with the vapid heroes themselves (sorry but I've never cared for that group).

Paul_SD
06-21-09, 12:34 AM
Fantastic Four had huge potential, none of which was realized in the first film. I also agree that a 'light' tone with that particular material isn't the problem.
FF the film, was just uninspired hack work.
To dovetail with another thread here- This was the perfect property to dispense with a by-the-numbers, cliched origin story. The characters here are not dual identity do-gooders forged by deep seeded psychological hang-ups or adolescent traumas. They are up front celebrities in the public eye. The exposition of their origin could have been dispensed with during something like Sue Storms appearance as a guest on a day-time talk show. The host could re-cap the origin in a 30 second lead-in, and the simple fact that this character is appearing casually on a daytime talk show implies what the first film took 40 minutes to establish- that these characters are not at all like Spider-man, Superman, Batman, etc.
Very little thought or imagination went into making that film anything special which is a shame since, as someone else pointed out, the technology finally exists to do the premise justice.

But my personal pick would probably be Spider-man 3. The first two films not only did the heavy lifting of establishing the basic conflict, and advancing it, but they also provided a clear guide book for what didn't work so well (the Goblin's power ranger costume for one). S-m 3 could have rectified previous flaws and paid that smoldering conflict off perfectly. Instead we got another cluster-f#ck of merchandising opportunities masquerading as a movie. I still love the second film, and love at least half of the first one- but I've seen S-m 3 once, and will never waste my time watching it again. That film is the main reason I haven't bought the Bd set. I don't want to have to pay even $1 more for that p-o-s.

PopcornTreeCt
06-21-09, 01:23 AM
But my personal pick would probably be Spider-man 3. The first two films not only did the heavy lifting of establishing the basic conflict, and advancing it, but they also provided a clear guide book for what didn't work so well (the Goblin's power ranger costume for one). S-m 3 could have rectified previous flaws and paid that smoldering conflict off perfectly. Instead we got another cluster-f#ck of merchandising opportunities masquerading as a movie. I still love the second film, and love at least half of the first one- but I've seen S-m 3 once, and will never waste my time watching it again. That film is the main reason I haven't bought the Bd set. I don't want to have to pay even $1 more for that p-o-s.

Well said. Especially coming after, at the time, arguably the greatest comic book movie ever in Spider-Man 2. Probably most disappointing.

moonraker
06-21-09, 12:30 PM

I recently re-watched this one, and noticed that for the most part I enjoyed roughly the first two-thirds of it (albiet with the same complaints I have about the first two: Spidey should use fluid cartridges, not biological webs dammit! Tobey McGuire comes across as far too nerdy and goofy/dumb as Peter Parker. And Dunst is nothing at all like Mary Jane of the comics.). It almost instantly devolves into complete garbage, however, at the point where Venom and Sandman meet in the alley. From this point on, nothing in the film works. I just found it interesting, that to me at least, there was such a clear-cut and distinct point in the film where it goes from generally good to terribly bad.

Trevor
06-24-09, 09:48 AM
This.

jeffbase34
06-24-09, 09:58 AM
Fantastic Four had huge potential, none of which was realized in the first film. I also agree that a 'light' tone with that particular material isn't the problem.
FF the film, was just uninspired hack work.
To dovetail with another thread here- This was the perfect property to dispense with a by-the-numbers, cliched origin story. The characters here are not dual identity do-gooders forged by deep seeded psychological hang-ups or adolescent traumas. They are up front celebrities in the public eye. The exposition of their origin could have been dispensed with during something like Sue Storms appearance as a guest on a day-time talk show. The host could re-cap the origin in a 30 second lead-in, and the simple fact that this character is appearing casually on a daytime talk show implies what the first film took 40 minutes to establish- that these characters are not at all like Spider-man, Superman, Batman, etc.
Very little thought or imagination went into making that film anything special which is a shame since, as someone else pointed out, the technology finally exists to do the premise justice.

I don't get the Spiderman 3 hate. I found it quite enjoyable with amazing special effects and great action pieces. The storyline suffered a bit by cramming 3 villians into one movie, but it wasn't a huge letdown for me.

I finally watched FF Silver Surfer last week. Definite improvement over the first film. But bringing Doom back was lame, weakly connected to the Latveria origin, and pretty much pointless. Also, we never got to see a shot of Galactus which was a big letdown. Another problem is there is just no good chemistry between the team.

wlj
06-24-09, 03:32 PM
Daredevil was horrible.

fujishig
06-24-09, 05:43 PM
Nobody mentioned The Spirit? Maybe because nobody saw it... I know I didn't, even though I was excited about it, mainly due to the bad press. It's out on DVD and I still haven't bothered, though I'm sure I will someday. Same with Batman and Robin, word of mouth was enough to turn me away.

Superman III was bad, but IV was a travesty. I will never forget watching the "rebuild-the-Great-Wall-vision" that Superman had.

Agree with the newer FF movies. I was so excited when they announced that the Silver Surfer would be in it... and then we get Mr. Fantastic dancing.

As a kid, I liked Howard the Duck and Supergirl. I didn't have high expectations for, and never saw, the Catwoman movie. And I'm assuming we're not mentioning the terrible made for TV "movies" like Nick Fury and Gen X.

DieselsDen
06-24-09, 07:43 PM
You ARE joking, right?

The monster tractor scene is downright pathetic and is a prime example of the B-movieness of this film. In fact, calling it a B-movie is actually an insult to B-movies.

I agree that Helen Slater was easy on the eyes, but that still frame shot posted up above is infinitely more appealing to view than the movie itself.

Yes, I'm kidding. SUPERGIRL is a disaster of mega-proportions. With the sole exception of Helen Slater and the Lucy Lane and Jimmy Olsen characters, the effort is so misguided and poor that it does rank below BATMAN AND ROBIN, and perhaps as low as Corman's THE FANTASTIC FOUR.

I loved SUPERMAN and SUPERMAN II. I was hoping SUPERGIRL would make up for the SUPERMAN III travesty, but it was worse. The invisible monster, the unexplained existence of Argo City, the Omegahedron...just terrible. It's more depressing than interesting.

I thought DICK TRACY was a great attempt at an adaptation, but it was too boring.

DieselsDen
06-24-09, 07:46 PM
Daredevil was horrible.

Maybe not horrible. I thought Whassisname as Bullseye was bad, and the see-saw fight between Elektra and Matt Murdoch was astoundingly poor, but other than that...I thought it was okay.