Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Dick Tracy reboot?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-09, 01:06 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick Tracy reboot?

say it ain't so.
Old 06-17-09, 01:34 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dick Tracy reboot?

Uhm...is there any link? or proof to that? ???
Old 06-17-09, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

If true, this doesn't bother me at all as the Beatty movie was somewhat disappointing.
Old 06-17-09, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

The 1990 movie is an absolute abortion, a complete pile of shit. This news -- actually this LACK Of news, given that there's no link or quote or anything -- bothers me not in the slightest.

Then again, this movie will assuredly bomb anyhow.
Old 06-17-09, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Beatty is still in a bit of a lawsuit over the movie rights and is doing a TV special on Dick Tracy, but afaik, there has been no mention of a reboot.
Old 06-17-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I like this. I'm going to start a thread Christopher Nolan backs out of Batman 3, WB signs Uwe Boll to direct, Sean William Scott to star, and I'll provide no link or any sources whatsoever and see if we can get a discussion going over it.
Old 06-17-09, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wouldn't be surprised about a reboot but the legal battle is still going on. I heard when it does happen though, Daniel Craig is gonna be the lead. Trust me, no link needed.

Last edited by Bandit03; 06-17-09 at 07:46 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This thread was a bit of a disappointment. I'll go on record as saying I loved the first film, but I was pretty young when it came out. Regardless, it's still fun! I wouldn't mind either a sequal of sorts, or a complete reset/reboot of it either.

This reminds me, I really need to get to those complete Dick Tracy comic collections from IDW soon..
Old 06-17-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm content with the four RKO features from the 40's - really minor film noir classics. (The Roan Collection of them is terrific, with extras and commentaries.)
Old 06-17-09, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I like this. I'm going to start a thread Christopher Nolan backs out of Batman 3, WB signs Uwe Boll to direct, Sean William Scott to star, and I'll provide no link or any sources whatsoever and see if we can get a discussion going over it.
I couldn't believe he backed out!
Old 06-17-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I could, he was being all douchey about it anyway. Uwe Boll dropped the project understandbly saying it was "below" him, Friedberg and Seltzer are taking over, the tentative title is "Batman Movie".
Old 06-17-09, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by marty888
I'm content with the four RKO features from the 40's - really minor film noir classics. (The Roan Collection of them is terrific, with extras and commentaries.)
For B movies, the ones I've seen have been surprisingly good. Certainly better than Beatty's colorful turd.
Old 06-17-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The 1990 movie is an absolute abortion, a complete pile of shit. This news -- actually this LACK Of news, given that there's no link or quote or anything -- bothers me not in the slightest.
Different strokes, huh? I saw this for the first time last year and was absolutely dazzled by it. The color, the lighting, the wild, almost caricatured nature of all the characters and costumes... A glorious piece of pop-art cinema. Granted, I'm not overly familiar with the original strips, so whether or not it's a faithful adaptation is lost on me, but as someone who's not a comic or superhero fan, I've always been happiest when this sort of project veers sharply into one specific direction instead of trying to smooth out the traditional comic book absurdities for a wider audience -- probably why I'm such a big fan of Ang Lee's Hulk and Batman Returns.
Old 06-17-09, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
say it ain't so.
it ain't so.
Old 06-17-09, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you just say that?
Old 06-17-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001
You may be on to something - No Bats 3 for Nolan?
Old 06-17-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I remember talk of this a few years ago when Sin City came out.

I always liked the first as a kid, and I often show it to friends as an example of excellent design/style for a film, even if the story is fairly average.
Old 06-18-09, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still stand by sentiments that Beatty's Dick Tracy is one of the most underrated films of all-time.

Way ahead of its time. I'm sure a lot of you that dislike it haven't seen it since the 90s, and I can understand that. Granted I was really in to the film when it first came out, but having watched it recently for the first time in maybe 10 years I was surprised by how good it was and how well it held up.

I suggest checking it out again now.
Old 06-18-09, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I finally got to see Dick Tracy on a big screen last year, and it was simply amazing. This wasn't just a film, it was a true production in every sense, from the costuming and make-up to the sets and music. The cast were all great--even and especially Madonna--and I think everyone left feeling they'd got their money's worth. It's not Lawrence of Arabia, but it never aspired to be a film along those lines. Instead, it tells a fun tale of a straight-laced prohibition-era cop standing up to a powerful (and colorful) mob. I have always loved this film.
Old 06-18-09, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I finally got to see Dick Tracy on a big screen last year, and it was simply amazing. This wasn't just a film, it was a true production in every sense, from the costuming and make-up to the sets and music. The cast were all great--even and especially Madonna--and I think everyone left feeling they'd got their money's worth. It's not Lawrence of Arabia, but it never aspired to be a film along those lines. Instead, it tells a fun tale of a straight-laced prohibition-era cop standing up to a powerful (and colorful) mob. I have always loved this film.
My chief problem with DICK TRACY was the lead actor. I never bought Beatty as Tracy. And when you've got such an iconic hero playing off of so many great character actors as the bad guys, you need a strong actor for it to take off and Beatty didn't do it, IMHO. Nor did I think the lead actress was very good. Plus, the direction seemed to be subsumed by the production design. Unlike Tim Burton's BATMAN, where he caught just the right blend of action, character playing and off-the-wall imaginative design.

Just my thoughts, 19 years after the fact.

So, yeah, we can always use a new Dick Tracy.

Did anyone here besides me ever watch the Dick Tracy cartoons from the mid-'60s? They were quite silly and weren't very good. They usually focused on a cartoon character who wasn't Tracy and who hadn't even been in the original strip. I can't even remember who they were except for "Heap O'Calory," a fat beat cop, and "Joe Jitsu," a stereotyped Japanese character. The cartoon had great music, though. And they did use villains from the comic strip. If only it had been more serious, like the old Superman cartoons from the 1940s.
Old 06-18-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Then again, this movie will assuredly bomb anyhow.
Dick Tracy is just not a good franchise, period. How interesting can you make it, really? At least the 1990 version tried with the interesting color palette, but Tracy as an action hero is laughable. Some old series are just too tied to the culture of the time to be modernized. Same thing with Popeye. That movie was a total borefest.
Old 06-18-09, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I still remember Loving Dick Tracy when the movie came out, I haven't seen it since the 90s, but would probably hate it now as an adult.