DVD Talk
Should I be worrying about normal DVDs to be phased out by Blu-Ray? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Should I be worrying about normal DVDs to be phased out by Blu-Ray?

sldvd
06-15-09, 11:34 PM
There are plenty of DVDs that I want to buy, but I just haven't gotten around to buying them yet. (There are also plenty of DVDs that I have bought, but I haven't gotten around to watching them yet.)

I don't really care for the increase in quality of Blu-Ray, and it might be a while before I get a Blu-Ray DVD player. But I'm wondering, should I be trying to buy all the normal DVDs while I still can? How long will it be before they stop releasing normal DVDs and only release on Blu-Ray?

I also wonder if the movie studios might start releasing normal DVDs with only the movie and zero bonus features, and pack all the bonus features onto the Blu-Ray version, to try to get people to buy the Blu-Ray version instead. Has that started happening yet?

Jedi Master 33
06-15-09, 11:47 PM
There is still a market for DVD. DVDs will be around for quite awhile.

Solid Snake
06-16-09, 12:30 AM
My only worries would be obscure titles or specific features on specific titles that were a miracle to get on DVD. I'd get those cuz sometimes....that stuff will never make it. My example...Terminator 1 DVD that had all those cool features.

steelpotato
06-16-09, 03:34 AM
Yeah as Solid Snake PAC said, just depends what you buy. If you're into Hollywood releases then most everything will eventually come out on blu-ray.
If you're like me and collect incredibly strange, weird or rare films then go for the dvds, and enjoy the films because you never know when niche stuff might go out of print, or may not make the leap to a new format :)

Superdaddy
06-16-09, 06:39 AM
Yeah as Solid Snake PAC said, just depends what you buy. If you're into Hollywood releases then most everything will eventually come out on blu-ray.
If you're like me and collect incredibly strange, weird or rare films then go for the dvds, and enjoy the films because you never know when niche stuff might go out of print, or may not make the leap to a new format :)

This is good advice. There's little question that a hi-def format will eventually replace DVD, but each time a format changes some titles are not carried over to the new format. If you like some of these non-blockbuster titles as steelpotato does, I'd say grab the DVDs now because you may never see a BD release of them (or even another DVD release, if the title is really obscure). And when you get a BD player in the future, BD players play DVDs also, so you will still be able to watch those movies.

As for extra features, if they are important to you, do your research before buying a title. Some BDs do indeed have more extras than the DVD release, but some have dropped extras that the DVD had. So for those titles, you may want to hold off for a while before buying the HD version, to see if it's double-dipped for one with more extras.

EDIT: To address your original question, I concur with Jedi Master 33. DVD and BD will probably co-exist for a number of years yet, just as download services like iTunes co-exist with CDs (not a perfect analogy, I know, but you get the idea. Lots of people still haven't embraced music downloading, so practically every major label album still gets released on CD as well as on iTunes, amazon MP3, etc. And CDs have been around for over 25 years, although they too will eventually be replaced, probably by some downloadable format, if not the currently popular but lossy MP3).

drmar35mm
06-16-09, 07:21 AM
It's always a good idea to buy the obscurer titles while they're still "in print." I learned that, when I collected LPs and later when I was busily building my CD collection. For example, there are many relatively obscure TV series now making their ways to DVD. A lot of them will never make it to Blu-Ray. So you might want to pick them up now. (That's not to say they won't be available online some day. And the used market is always a possibility.) My plan is to keep buying DVDs until Blu-Rays are roughly equal in cost to them and Blu Ray players' prices come down a bunch more. That may even be before I get an HD flatscreen. As BR stands now, I have no reason to get into it. I like my DVDs and CRT just fine.

Brian Shannon
06-16-09, 07:36 AM
IMHO the replacement for BD will be available long before dvd's are gone

jeffbase34
06-16-09, 07:41 AM
I would be concerned about the rapid devaluing of dvds though if you plan to recoup some of your money by selling your collection.

It's alarming to see how much my expensive tv on dvd sets have dropped over the years. 24 seasons are like 15 bucks each, even my expensive BBC sets like Doctor Who are going for 40 - 50 on Amazon now. And numerous movie titles are fetching 0.01 on Amazon. lol Dvds have lost value a lot faster than VHS ever did.

Mr. Cinema
06-16-09, 07:55 AM
The only thing I see that will be phased out will be the special edition dvd. I think the plan, eventually, is to offer up a single disc dvd, and the BD will become the special edition/deluxe version.

kristina
06-16-09, 10:13 AM
And numerous movie titles are fetching 0.01 on Amazon. lol

yeah it depends on the seller but alot of CDs and DVDs I'd like to buy aren't deprechiating fast enough. I love buying DVD's, etc. for a penny each + shipping and handeling. I use Amazon specifically for that purpose.

Gizmo
06-16-09, 10:41 AM
I also wonder if the movie studios might start releasing normal DVDs with only the movie and zero bonus features, and pack all the bonus features onto the Blu-Ray version, to try to get people to buy the Blu-Ray version instead. Has that started happening yet?

This has already happened. Please see Warner/Newline with Nights in Rodanthe, Friday the 13th, He's Just Not That Into You etc. Other studios should be following suite as well within the year (some already are in future announcements). The goal is the make the DVD pretty much barebones and dump all the extras on the BD and the ever useless BD-Live aspect. If you like special features you will have no choice but to buy a Blu-ray player. If you don't care about them, enjoy paying the same for the DVD but getting less.

JJE-187
06-16-09, 11:17 AM
I have a PS3 and I dont even plan on upgrading to Blu-Ray anytime soon, I have a 1500+ DVD collection and I NEVER buy anything new, I always go used and get deals on older obscure titles at hastings for $3.99 and at buy 2 get 1 for $1 it makes them $3.xx a DVD and I dont see blu-ray getting that cheap anytime soon

Carcosa
06-16-09, 11:18 AM
You have NO worries. You will always be able to play your DVDs no matter what. And its also more than likely that obscure titles like the newly released NIGHTMARE CASTLE and the like will NOT be on blu-ray anytime soon. I have BD and standard DVD discs and I still buy DVDs and don't even think twice.

chris_sc77
06-16-09, 11:21 AM
The Answer is NO.
DVD sales account for something like 88-90% of sales in this market while Blu-ray is at best 10-12%.
DVD ain't goin anywhere.

outlander78
06-16-09, 11:22 AM
This has already happened. Please see Warner/Newline with Nights in Rodanthe, Friday the 13th, He's Just Not That Into You etc. Other studios should be following suite as well within the year (some already are in future announcements). The goal is the make the DVD pretty much barebones and dump all the extras on the BD and the ever useless BD-Live aspect. If you like special features you will have no choice but to buy a Blu-ray player. If you don't care about them, enjoy paying the same for the DVD but getting less.

Unless they've killed off piracy, that's a dangerous game. I don't personally pirate movies - I'll go the "buy old rentals or do without" route - but if they aren't competing on price or features, and are selling to a young group with little money, they may just make downloading look better and better.

I've already changed from a guy who bought lots of movies, some to watch now and some for a dull day in the distant future, to someone who only buys a few titles a year. I can't afford to upgrade to HD, so I'll just start reading more if the prices keep going up while quality goes down. As is pointed out every other day, new media (youtube, surfing, computer games) are very effective competitors with old media (moves and music on plastic discs).

I wonder if and when "screw the customers, we'll tell them what they want" will catch up with the movie business, as it did with others in the past.

chris_sc77
06-16-09, 11:25 AM
Unless they've killed off piracy, that's a dangerous game. I don't personally pirate movies - I'll go the "buy old rentals or do without" route - but if they aren't competing on price or features, and are selling to a young group with little money, they may just make downloading look better and better.

I've already changed from a guy who bought lots of movies, some to watch now and some for a dull day in the distant future, to someone who only buys a few titles a year. I can't afford to upgrade to HD, so I'll just start reading more if the prices keep going up while quality goes down. As is pointed out every other day, new media (youtube, surfing, computer games) are very effective competitors with old media (moves and music on plastic discs).

I wonder if and when "screw the customers, we'll tell them what they want" will catch up with the movie business, as it did with others in the past.

Exactly. I dont download but if they keep doing this exclusive features and less than impressive overall total package for DVD's well then I will just have to Netflix a title that I would have have bought or not bother with it at all.
Fine with me if they wanna play dirty, so can I.

JOE29
06-16-09, 01:09 PM
I have about 750 DVD's to date, but sometime in the future I do plan on getting a Bluray player. I am in no hurry though, due to the high prices of the players. I am not at all worried about not being able to play my DVD's in the future because these DVD's will be able to be played in the Bluray player, and I hear they will look even better.
So I will keep buying my regular disc's with no fear that they won't be available to use in the future. The only thing that is wrong is the Special Features which like other people have said and I have been starting to notice are going more and more to the Bluray disc's and not the Standard ones. I'm not bothered a lot about that as long as I can get the full, uncut movie on standard disc. But there are exceptions that pop up now and then. But about 90% of the time all I need is just the full movie. I can by pass the special features. But I understand other people are upset about losing their special features- and rightly so.

Travis McClain
06-16-09, 05:25 PM
The answer to the OP's question is, no, you should not be worrying about normal DVD's being phased out by Blu Ray. You should, however, be worrying about normal DVD's being phased out in favor of Blu Ray by studios. You should also be worrying about your normal friends being phased out in favor of clones. It's never too early to worry. Just sayin'.

Seriously, though, since Blu Ray players will play DVD's, I say snag what you want on DVD and deal with double-dipping upgrades once you have a BD player. You may not be able to re-sell your DVD's to recoup much of your money, but you'll be able to watch the title in the interim. There are many titles in our library I already know we will not upgrade once we go Blu; some I doubt the studios will have out in that format any time soon (I'm looking at you, Frogs) and some we only really bought because they were cheap, impulse buys (I'm still looking at you, Frogs).

Sessa17
06-16-09, 05:34 PM
I'm doing my part to to end the existence of these inferior DVDs you speak of & add to your worrying.

writer106
06-16-09, 05:45 PM
I sort of do worry about DVDs being phased out Blu-Ray. I'm thinking about buying a Blu-Ray player sometime soon.

JerryKILL
06-16-09, 06:42 PM
I still buy/watch VHS tapes, LaserDiscs, and vinyl LPs. Players for these "extinct" formats are easily obtainable on the used market, even new if you look hard enough. DVD is the most successful format ever created. Players will be around forever (or at least or lifetimes), so no need to worry about being able to watch your DVDs. Even if they were permanently discontinued today, players will be around for eons, and I suspect 'backwards compatibility' will be standard for the next several format iterations. I'd be more worried about BluRay, a niche product similar to LaserDisc, as there are far fewer BluRay players in existence compared to DVD players. Once BluRay is superseded (and don't kid yourself, there are more formats down the line), it may become increasingly difficult to find a player (like LaserDisc players today).

sldvd
06-16-09, 11:22 PM
OK, but those movies you mentioned were all released within the past year.

If I wanted to get older movies, I wouldn't have to worry about that. Although some movies have been re-released several times on DVD already, so I guess they could do yet another re-release onto DVD but with all the extras stripped out and put them only on the Blu Ray version.

TheKing
06-17-09, 05:19 AM
I still buy/watch VHS tapes, LaserDiscs, and vinyl LPs. Players for these "extinct" formats are easily obtainable on the used market, even new if you look hard enough. DVD is the most successful format ever created. Players will be around forever (or at least or lifetimes), so no need to worry about being able to watch your DVDs. Even if they were permanently discontinued today, players will be around for eons, and I suspect 'backwards compatibility' will be standard for the next several format iterations. I'd be more worried about BluRay, a niche product similar to LaserDisc, as there are far fewer BluRay players in existence compared to DVD players. Once BluRay is superseded (and don't kid yourself, there are more formats down the line), it may become increasingly difficult to find a player (like LaserDisc players today).

Laserdisc players are hard to find because of the form factor for the most part. It's also one of the reasons the format never moved beyond the niche market in the first place. Vinyl was being relaced by cassettes and CDs, much smaller forms that could be made portable. The Walkman was huge. Yet, in video, they thought people would want to go bigger?

Not to mention the flipping, and multiple discs and outrageous prices.

As long as they stick with the CD/DVD/Blu-ray form factor, playback remains a software issue, not a hardware one. Blu-ray won't kill DVD, that much is clear. But if the next winning format is downloads, then that could kill both.

orangerunner
06-17-09, 10:47 AM
Blu-ray is not going to make DVD obsolete the same way DVD made VHS tapes obsolete.

The public desire for Blu-ray is simply not strong enough, at least at this point, to uproot DVD.

If anything, downloading will be the next format of choice, but probably not for several years to come.

jjcool
06-17-09, 11:01 AM
Answer to OP's question, no.
What may start happening with more frequency, and has been mentioned here, is the deluxe 2 disc versions are going to blue ray, and the dvd is a bare bones movie only version. Not a big issue if you dont care for the special features. Blue ray has a long way to go before it completely phases out dvd.

Gizmo
06-17-09, 11:53 AM
Blue ray does not exist.

jjcool
06-18-09, 09:17 AM
Blue ray does not exist.

While Blue ray doesnt hold much of the market yet, it is a viable medium that is gaining popularity. Not sure what you mean by saying that blue ray doesnt exist.

GHackmann
06-18-09, 09:45 AM
While Blue ray doesnt hold much of the market yet, it is a viable medium that is gaining popularity. Not sure what you mean by saying that blue ray doesnt exist.
Blue ray doesn't exist. Blu-ray, on the other hand ...

jjcool
06-18-09, 11:41 AM
Blue ray doesn't exist. Blue-ray, on the other hand ...

Wow. You two really have nothing better to do than nitpick someones spelling on the internet? That must suck.

Travis McClain
06-18-09, 11:55 AM
Wow. You two really have nothing better to do than nitpick someones spelling on the internet? That must suck.

To be fair, Blu Ray is probably a term that should be spelled correctly in this forum. While I'm at it, when did we as a society decide that the fault should lie in the party noting a transgression, rather than the transgressor? I was taught to spell words correctly with the understanding it would be expected of all of us. No one ever said I could get out of doing that by shifting the attention to whomever might call me out on my poor spelling.

jjcool
06-18-09, 12:26 PM
To be fair, Blu Ray is probably a term that should be spelled correctly in this forum. While I'm at it, when did we as a society decide that the fault should lie in the party noting a transgression, rather than the transgressor? I was taught to spell words correctly with the understanding it would be expected of all of us. No one ever said I could get out of doing that by shifting the attention to whomever might call me out on my poor spelling.

The point that you missed was that it is the internet. If we were anal enough to post about every little spelling error, there wouldn't be enough bandwidth to talk about anything else.

Who shifted fault for the spelling error to someone else? The fault that was placed on someone else is not having anything better to do than point out spelling errors. They committed that transgression, not me.

Gizmo
06-18-09, 12:31 PM
The point that you missed was that it is the internet. If we were anal enough to post about every little spelling error, there wouldn't be enough bandwidth to talk about anything else.

Who shifted fault for the spelling error to someone else? The fault that was placed on someone else is not having anything better to do than point out spelling errors. They committed that transgression, not me.

Its a very common word on a forum talking about DVDs and its successor - Blu-ray. Its not a minor thing when this website was formed with DVD (and now Blu-ray) in mind. It would be like someone on a Lakers forum spelling all the players names wrong or someone on a car forum spelling Infiniti as Infinity.

Travis McClain
06-18-09, 12:32 PM

If you identify the act of identifying misspelled words as the transgression, then yes, the transgressor was GHackmann. However, this would be like saying that a cop is the transgressor for writing a citation--and not accepting that speeding was the original transgression. I also remain unconvinced that being an online forum is sufficient justification for abandoning the conventions and standards of spelling and grammar. Does not the form of written communication deserve, if not demand, a greater attention to such elements if we are to properly convey our thoughts and intentions?

outlander78
06-18-09, 12:47 PM
It's generally rude to correct people in a public forum, which this happens to be.

If you want a forum for spelling etc, try this site: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

You can debate the maturity and effectiveness of it, but misspelling things on purpose is a form of communication. For example, writing Microsoft as M$. Windows as Windoze or (my favourite) abbreviating "Recording Associate of America" to "Recording Ass. of America" is saying something more than "I can't spell".

Could we get back to something DVD related, perhaps? For example, do you think HD DVDs will displace DVDs before online, on-demand content displaces them? Will people's desire to own physical media overcome the potentially lower cost, more convenient online option?

Personally, I like owning media, don't like content rental services of any kind, and don't see the need to upgrade from DVD to a higher-resolution option.

jjcool
06-18-09, 12:50 PM
If you identify the act of identifying misspelled words as the transgression, then yes, the transgressor was GHackmann.

That is all you needed to say in your post. That is indeed the transgression I was speaking of.
You are the one that said:"While I'm at it, when did we as a society decide that the fault should lie in the party noting a transgression, rather than the transgressor?" And I said that I didnt blame him for the spelling error. i was blaming him for not having anything better to do than be the spelling police on the internet of all places. I am not really sure what you aren't getting.

Travis McClain
06-18-09, 01:00 PM
It's generally rude to correct people in a public forum, which this happens to be.

If you want a forum for spelling etc, try this site: http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/

You can debate the maturity and effectiveness of it, but misspelling things on purpose is a form of communication. For example, writing Microsoft as M$. Windows as Windoze or (my favourite) abbreviating "Recording Associate of America" to "Recording Ass. of America" is saying something more than "I can't spell".

I think GizmoDVD sufficiently addressed the reason why "Blu Ray" is a term that ought to be spelled properly in this public forum.

Could we get back to something DVD related, perhaps? For example, do you think HD DVDs will displace DVDs before online, on-demand content displaces them? Will people's desire to own physical media overcome the potentially lower cost, more convenient online option?

Personally, I like owning media, don't like content rental services of any kind, and don't see the need to upgrade from DVD to a higher-resolution option.

I think that stores rely on physical product too much to want to see a transition to digital media. I mean, if you removed the DVD's and Blu Ray discs--and related players and accessories--from Best Buy, what would they have left to sell? TV's and computers? There aren't enough profit margins to be had on those items. We're just now seeing a sincere effort being considered to produce greener cars long after nearly every other civilized nation on the planet has raised standards of efficiency, etc. Why the delay? Because entirely too many influential people were making too much money off keeping things the way they were. I suspect Walmart and Best Buy have already expressed their interest in continuing to stock tangible media to the studios.

Travis McClain
06-18-09, 01:05 PM
That is all you needed to say in your post. That is indeed the transgression I was speaking of.
You are the one that said:"While I'm at it, when did we as a society decide that the fault should lie in the party noting a transgression, rather than the transgressor?" And I said that I didnt blame him for the spelling error. i was blaming him for not having anything better to do than be the spelling police on the internet of all places. I am not really sure what you aren't getting.

I get it. You think there's a bigger problem with someone commenting on misspelling "Blu Ray" than there is in misspelling it. I, on the other hand, still believe in standards and expectations and do not make excuses for failing to adhere to them based on the nature of where these violations occur.

jjcool
06-18-09, 02:43 PM
I get it. You think there's a bigger problem with someone commenting on misspelling "Blu Ray" than there is in misspelling it. I, on the other hand, still believe in standards and expectations and do not make excuses for failing to adhere to them based on the nature of where these violations occur.

The implication being that I made an excuse for my misspelling, when, in fact, I did not.
And no, you still don't get it.
That is all.

outlander78
06-18-09, 03:10 PM
I think that stores rely on physical product too much to want to see a transition to digital media. I mean, if you removed the DVD's and Blu Ray discs--and related players and accessories--from Best Buy, what would they have left to sell? TV's and computers? There aren't enough profit margins to be had on those items. We're just now seeing a sincere effort being considered to produce greener cars long after nearly every other civilized nation on the planet has raised standards of efficiency, etc. Why the delay? Because entirely too many influential people were making too much money off keeping things the way they were. I suspect Walmart and Best Buy have already expressed their interest in continuing to stock tangible media to the studios.

I hope you're right - I like media. Imagine if DVDTalk became DownloadTalk - they're be some fast talking required regarding the legal stuff vs the Pirate Bay kind of downloading ... :)

BasementArt
06-18-09, 03:20 PM
You have NO worries. You will always be able to play your DVDs no matter what. And its also more than likely that obscure titles like the newly released NIGHTMARE CASTLE and the like will NOT be on blu-ray anytime soon. I have BD and standard DVD discs and I still buy DVDs and don't even think twice.

I wouldn't use that as an example. Severin has gone blu, and is starting to release new and older titles in BD. Inglourious Bastards and Eagles Over London will be first, and Hardware is coming in Sept.

chris_sc77
06-18-09, 06:15 PM
i just wanted to chime in with my opinion that the term "blu-ray" sounds incredible gay.

hindolio
06-18-09, 07:41 PM
...writing Microsoft as M$. Windows as Windoze or (my favourite) abbreviating "Recording Associate of America" to "Recording Ass. of America" is saying something more than "I can't spell"...

windows exploder :D

tonymontana313
06-18-09, 07:59 PM
i just wanted to chime in with my opinion that the term "blu-ray" sounds incredible gay.

I wish you didn't chime in at all and way to offend the gay and lesbian members with an ignorant comment like this.

GHackmann
06-18-09, 08:11 PM
If you identify the act of identifying misspelled words as the transgression, then yes, the transgressor was GHackmann
Uh, I was just pointing out the joke that GizmoDVD made that I thought jjcool missed. He can call it "Bloo-Ray" for all I care.

Though I do like the irony of complaining about how posters have nothing better to do than pick at misspellings, then following that up with three posts arguing about semantics.

Carcosa
06-19-09, 12:36 AM
So another thread has degenerated into the pissing contest over the spelling of blu-ray? That's asinine. Blue-ray, bloo-ray bleu raye....I don't give a shit. I know what the poster meant.

danwiz
06-19-09, 03:38 AM
Must agree with Carcosa - read the entire 2nd page of this post and I don't think there were but 1 or 2 posts which related to the OP's question. If you 2 A_holes could have just made one post each about the spelling problem for bleu-ray it would have been enough - but virtually an entire page is above and beyond what is necessary or called for. I know that there will be another page of posts about my calling you both a_holes, but I think a heck of a lot of people agree with me!

foggy
06-19-09, 06:12 AM
Must agree with Carcosa - read the entire 2nd page of this post and I don't think there were but 1 or 2 posts which related to the OP's question. If you 2 A_holes could have just made one post each about the spelling problem for bleu-ray it would have been enough - but virtually an entire page is above and beyond what is necessary or called for. I know that there will be another page of posts about my calling you both a_holes, but I think a heck of a lot of people agree with me!

You spelled asshole wrong, I'm just saying.

Gizmo
06-19-09, 10:36 AM
Love bitching posts about us bitching about the spelling of Blu-ray. I think the OPs question has already been answered.

jjcool
06-19-09, 11:07 AM
Love bitching posts about us bitching about the spelling of Blu-ray. I think the OPs question has already been answered.

Agreed. I wouldnt worry about Blue-ray phasing out DVDs any time soon.

Travis McClain
06-19-09, 01:32 PM

It was excessive, and I do apologize for my part in the off-topic debate to jjcool and to those who had to sift through my posts. Although, don't I at least get partial credit for adding on topic comments in most of my posts?

TylerDurden_73
06-19-09, 02:21 PM
Blu-ray is not going to make DVD obsolete the same way DVD made VHS tapes obsolete.

The public desire for Blu-ray is simply not strong enough, at least at this point, to uproot DVD.

If anything, downloading will be the next format of choice, but probably not for several years to come.

That's funny you say that, Blu-ray is being adapted at a faster rate than DVD was.

Downloading is not a physical format. As long as you have people wanting to go to a store and actually feel/pick-up the product, downloading isn't even a contender. Going to a store is still 99-99.5% the way the public does it's
shopping. Besides downloads or streaming can't even compare in quality to DVD and Blu-ray.

Ash Ketchum
06-19-09, 02:39 PM
That's funny you say that, Blu-ray is being adapted at a faster rate than DVD was.

Going to a store is still 99-99.5% the way the public does it's
shopping. Besides downloads or streaming can't even compare in quality to DVD and Blu-ray.

I beg to differ, but my young co-workers, all film/media/TV graduates, watch most of their movies downloaded or on bootleg DVD. They don't know from Blu-ray. They don't buy anything. A few of them have Netflix accounts and then burn copies of the movies they rent and spread those copies around. They think it quaint of me that I actually pay to see movies in theaters and that I actually buy DVDs.

mike07
06-19-09, 03:03 PM
I would rather physically own a legitimate DVD than download a file off the Internet. Of course, it would be a space saver to have say, 160 DVD movies on a 160GB external hard drive rather than a 6' high shelf full of plastic cases, just not an option for me.

chris_sc77
06-19-09, 03:33 PM

Just a couple points:
If this is the case i would imagine its ONLY because of one factor: video game systems. I bet my left nut that if playstation 2 came out in 1997 with the first dvd's or damn close to that timeframe DVD's would have sold MUCH MUCH faster than they did.
Playstation 3 and the X-box systems or whatever other gaming systems play blu-rays have gotta be the sole factor if they are indeed being adapted faster.
Since the PS3 and other gaming systems came out around the initial launch of Blu-ray this is the only thing in my mnd that has really saved the format.
Not everyone uses it for Blu-ray though obviously and i think the sales of most blu-ray titles still prove this. However if you can show me proof of sales figures, please do so.

Travis McClain
06-19-09, 03:44 PM
Just a couple points:
If this is the case i would imagine its ONLY because of one factor: video game systems. I bet my left nut that if playstation 2 came out in 1997 with the first dvd's or damn close to that timeframe DVD's would have sold MUCH MUCH faster than they did.
Playstation 3 and the X-box systems or whatever other gaming systems play blu-rays have gotta be the sole factor if they are indeed being adapted faster.
Since the PS3 and other gaming systems came out around the initial launch of Blu-ray this is the only thing in my mnd that has really saved the format.
Not everyone uses it for Blu-ray though obviously and i think the sales of most blu-ray titles still prove this. However if you can show me proof of sales figures, please do so.

I believe being incorporated into the PS3 gave Blu Ray an early boost, but I disagree that it is the "only" element involved. Since the late 1990s, I believe the general public has come to be much more familiar with technology than previously. When DVD was adopted, the true benefits of the format were largely considered the purview of tech-minded geeks and dedicated movie lovers. Today, even the average fan understands the difference between standard definition and high definition, even if only in terms of one being superior in quality. I think more people having upgraded to an HDTV accounts for the pace of Blu Ray adoption more than anything else.

jjcool
06-19-09, 04:05 PM
How do they get a number for how many people have adopted blue ray? Is it a count of the number of players sold? If so, do they count PS3 in that count?

chris_sc77
06-19-09, 04:36 PM
Since the late 1990s, I believe the general public has come to be much more familiar with technology than previously. When DVD was adopted, the true benefits of the format were largely considered the purview of tech-minded geeks and dedicated movie lovers. Today, even the average fan understands the difference between standard definition and high definition, even if only in terms of one being superior in quality.

Again i dont know about that. Some people yeah i guess this statement would apply too all i know is I was 12 years old in April of 1999 when i finally talked and begged my mom to get me a dvd player. From the day i first got that dvd player until this very day i have been obsessed with it and knew as soon as i saw Natasha Henstridge's glorious boobage in Species II in WS and with a directors commentary track i was amazed at what the format of dvd offers and my excitement for DVD still exists (despite what some studios are doing to curb any excitement by shitty "special edition" for both Blu-ray AND more so for DVD.).

My love of film has gorwn and i did get HD-dvd and i still dont know everything about high definition and its entirety of benesfits but I didnt get excited when i got my HD-dvd player and cant muster up any enthusiasm whatsoever for Blu-ray either.

afultz075
06-19-09, 09:48 PM
I think DVDs will coincide with Blu-Ray for a good while. I don't sweat the thought of DVDs being phased out when I buy them anymore. Most of my collection is still DVDs (although the Blu-Ray section of my shelf has ballooned in the last 6 months). I only replace films I already own on DVD with Blu-Ray if they're some of my favorite films. I try to buy most movies I don't already own on Blu anymore unless the price is right for the DVD (couldn't pass up a $3.50 American Gangster DVD at Target even though I intended to get it in BR).

I also feel that upscaling players will keep DVD viable for awhile. I find upscaled DVDs to look great most of the time.

TylerDurden_73
06-19-09, 10:33 PM
Just a couple points:

videobusiness.com

"Now, in mid-2009, there are 11 million Blu-ray devices in homes, according to Adams Media Research; an estimated 1,500 software titles on the market; and a proliferation of richly interactive BD Live applications, such as Sony’s MovieIQ and Cinechat features, Warner Home Video’s Facebook integration and Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment’s advanced navigational feature bowing on Snow White.

Blu-ray player sales were up 400% in the first quarter of 2009, over 2008, and 80% of devices are now capable of playing BD Live, according to Sony Electronics’ Mike Abary.

Consumers still need a lot more education about the advances Blu-ray makes over downloading and standard DVD, but all the pieces are falling into place to make that a very effective message."

Those player numbers don't include ps3's

golden_rod
06-19-09, 11:46 PM
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8768baf0-59d5-11de-b687-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

“We expect Blu-ray to account for 6.9 per cent of international video spending this year – assuming there is strong promotional activity [by the studios],” said Helen Davis Jayalath, senior analyst at Screen Digest.

“However, despite consumers’ interest in the high-definition format and demand for packaged media, the current challenging economic climate means that we don’t expect Blu-ray to be driving even minimal sector growth until 2010.”

Screen Digest blamed the slow take-up of the new format on the global consumer downturn and the lack of a co-ordinated and unified marketing campaign from the studios.

Privately, studios do not expect consumers to replace their DVD libraries with the new technology – partly because these libraries can run to hundreds of titles but also because of anticipated growth in digital distribution of film content.

bodomnet
06-20-09, 06:45 AM
It always seem to me these discussions turn into arguments.
Either Blu-Ray fan boys get defensive or people with hundreds if not thousands of DVDs seem scared that their collection is out dated.

For me, I'd rather buy Blu.. I pay about £4 more per release and that to me is well worth it for the quality difference.

But I also pick up quite a few used DVDs for cheap.. do what you want not what statistics, websites or fan boy's say is the way to go.

Dustin P.
06-20-09, 01:47 PM
I own over 760+ standard DVD's and when I have to I will switch to Blu-ray. I don't have any problems switching, I am not afraid of new technology. It doesn't worry me one bit because I believe as it was said in this topic, that both formats will compete for many years to come. I don't think Blu-ray will ever fully have the market standard DVD has but in a few years it will probably have over 50% of the market.

Travis McClain
06-20-09, 04:25 PM
Again i dont know about that. Some people yeah i guess this statement would apply too all i know is I was 12 years old in April of 1999 when i finally talked and begged my mom to get me a dvd player. From the day i first got that dvd player until this very day i have been obsessed with it and knew as soon as i saw Natasha Henstridge's glorious boobage in Species II in WS and with a directors commentary track i was amazed at what the format of dvd offers and my excitement for DVD still exists (despite what some studios are doing to curb any excitement by shitty "special edition" for both Blu-ray AND more so for DVD.).

My love of film has gorwn and i did get HD-dvd and i still dont know everything about high definition and its entirety of benesfits but I didnt get excited when i got my HD-dvd player and cant muster up any enthusiasm whatsoever for Blu-ray either.

It seems to me that the leap from DVD to Blu Ray isn't as dramatic as was the leap from VHS to DVD; hence, your disparity in upgrade enthusiasm. That seems entirely reasonable to me; I, in fact, feel a lot of that myself. Still, though, I believe that the average person has become much more familiar with the technology than they were at the time of DVD's introduction. DVD was revolutionary; it did what laser disc did, but better--on a disc the size of a CD. Blu Ray is, in the minds of most people, DVD 2.0. It does the same thing DVD did, but better, on a disc the same size. They're familiar with DVD, and can more easily grasp what Blu Ray means.

Plus, exposure to HDTV (even if just on TV's at restaurants and sports bars) has helped familiarize Joe Public with the concepts of HD TV's and broadcast. Relating that concept to DVD's in the form of Blu Ray is a pretty easy mental transition to make.

I think the main reason Blu Ray wasn't adopted even more rapidly, earlier was the competition with HD DVD. We all knew they couldn't co-exist for long, and no one wanted to find out their several hundred dollars for equipment and titles would be made obsolete in a year or two, so most of us waited for the dust to settle--and the prices to drop--before committing. Had the economy not faltered around the same time it became clear which format was the winner, I suspect Blu Ray adoption would be even higher than it has been.

It always seem to me these discussions turn into arguments.
Either Blu-Ray fan boys get defensive or people with hundreds if not thousands of DVDs seem scared that their collection is out dated.

For me, I'd rather buy Blu.. I pay about £4 more per release and that to me is well worth it for the quality difference.

But I also pick up quite a few used DVDs for cheap.. do what you want not what statistics, websites or fan boy's say is the way to go.

The beauty is that your Blu Ray player will play DVD's, so there's no reason not to still pick up those $5 bin titles periodically. There are some titles I know I will want to upgrade once we go Blu, but there are many more I know will remain on DVD in our library. And, it appears that Blu Ray Disc pricing is becoming even more comparable seemingly every week; Walmart has already begun a 2 for $20 section of titles that may not be mandatory, but are an attractive price for upgrades.

mzupeman2
06-20-09, 06:32 PM
DVD's will be around for a long time. So many more people are invested in DVD than were invested in VHS. People by more stuff for at home viewing than ever, DVD is the reason for it. Blu-ray is something people who have the equipment and money will buy into, and Blu-ray can only grow over time. DVD's will be around for quite some time though, no worries.

orangerunner
06-20-09, 09:56 PM

Downloading is not a physical format. As long as you have people wanting to go to a store and actually feel/pick-up the product, downloading isn't even a contender. Going to a store is still 99-99.5% the way the public does it's

After three years Blu-ray makes up 10-12% of the physical media sales, depending on who you ask.

By the spring of 2000, were DVD sales only 10-12% of the home video market? Maybe. But I don't really care to research it.

Blu-ray's strength will be primarily new releases. Blu-ray catalogue titles will not have the the same sales impact that DVD did as far as numbers of units sold.

99%-99.5% do their shopping in a store? Okay...?

WMAangel
06-21-09, 12:28 AM
After three years Blu-ray makes up 10-12% of the physical media sales, depending on who you ask.

By the spring of 2000, were DVD sales only 10-12% of the home video market? Maybe. But I don't really care to research it.

This is in many aspects an unfair comparison, as there really wasn't as much of a "home video sales market" before DVD....laserdisc was very expensive and much more niche than Blu-ray is (or has been), and VHS was never the "buy to own" collectible format that DVD has always been....the majority of VHS was released at a rental-only price point....

Every time the argument for and against DVD and Blu-ray comes up, people fail to mention that Blu-ray has a greater hurdle to face that DVD never did: it REQUIRES a high definition display unit to gain its greatest benefit....
DVD provided the best in standard definition that people could get out of their regular TV, but could be sold to everyone as it used their pre-exisiting displays.....HDTV is not yet even in 50% of US households, therefore the overall market for Blu-ray is still much smaller and can only expand at most as fast as HDTV adoption....

UngersPride
06-21-09, 02:48 PM
This is in many aspects an unfair comparison, as there really wasn't as much of a "home video sales market" before DVD....laserdisc was very expensive and much more niche than Blu-ray is (or has been), and VHS was never the "buy to own" collectible format that DVD has always been....the majority of VHS was released at a rental-only price point....

Every time the argument for and against DVD and Blu-ray comes up, people fail to mention that Blu-ray has a greater hurdle to face that DVD never did: it REQUIRES a high definition display unit to gain its greatest benefit....
DVD provided the best in standard definition that people could get out of their regular TV, but could be sold to everyone as it used their pre-exisiting displays.....HDTV is not yet even in 50% of US households, therefore the overall market for Blu-ray is still much smaller and can only expand at most as fast as HDTV adoption....

In addition, when anyone wishes to enter the Blu-Ray world, they will need to put down quite a chunk of change: $1,000 for HDTV; $300 for Blu player; $300 for sound system....
In addition, most laptops will ONLY play SD DVDs, unless one converts (again more cash outlay) to install a Blu drive....

Many people are still waiting until their current TV dies and/or Blu prices fall more dramatically....

Travis McClain
06-21-09, 03:16 PM
In addition, when anyone wishes to enter the Blu-Ray world, they will need to put down quite a chunk of change: $1,000 for HDTV; $300 for Blu player; $300 for sound system; $200 for proper cables....

In addition, most laptops will ONLY play SD DVDs, unless one converts (again more cash outlay) to install a Blu drive....

Many people are still waiting until their current TV dies and/or Blu prices fall more dramatically....

Granted, you can easily drop $1800 or more going Blu, but I think it can be done less expensively. We have a 32 inch Philips HDTV that retails for about $700, and can score a Blu Ray player for about $150 these days--a higher end model for about $230. Not sure what cables you're referring to (or where you're buying them), but an HDMI cable can be found for about $50. Yes, the sound system is required to take advantage of 5.1 and 7.1 audio mastering, but I think most people consider that a get-to-it-later add-on. So, you're looking at $980 without a sound system.

Of course, I realize many of you with larger budgets have a hard time fathoming owning a TV less than ninety seven inches and hearing the sound through less than eighteen speakers in a sound-proofed room connected with 24k gold wires. Still, I think going Blu can be done on a budget these days, and I believe more people will elect to do so as the economy recovers and less people are worried about how hungry their children are at night.

orangerunner
06-21-09, 06:49 PM

You're right, it's never going to be a fair comparison for the reasons stated above.

I think Blu-ray has a hurdle even beyond owning an HDTV. I think if HDTV was in every household today, Blu-ray would still be a tough sell largely because of the player and disc prices at this time.

Remember too, people are not necessarily buying HDTVs because they want or need a high definition picture. The prices are right and they're pretty much the only sets available.

Standard def still looks as good or better on an HDTV than it did on the old CRT.

Canuck21
06-21-09, 07:08 PM

I normally wouldn't bother correcting someone for a spelling mistake, but since the Blu-ray (not Blue Ray, nor Blu Ray, nor Blu-Ray) format is new, I think right now is a good time to inform people of the correct way to spell. By the way, for the disc itself, it is Blu-ray Disc or simply BD. Just FYI you know...

hindolio
06-21-09, 08:28 PM
...By the way, for the disc itself, it is Blu-ray Disc or simply BD. Just FYI you know...

wait a sec! all this time ive referred to them as br disks! yikes.

Carcosa
06-21-09, 11:28 PM
I normally wouldn't bother correcting someone for a spelling mistake, but since the Blu-ray (not Blue Ray, nor Blu Ray, nor Blu-Ray) format is new, I think right now is a good time to inform people of the correct way to spell. By the way, for the disc itself, it is Blu-ray Disc or simply BD. Just FYI you know...

I by plentee of BLOO REY disks and egspect that trend to kontinu I allso by DEE VEE DEE's too so I dont kare won way or the uther.

madcougar
06-22-09, 02:19 PM
Worry about the economy. Worry about the enviroment. Don't ever worry about DVDs.

UngersPride
06-22-09, 06:29 PM
Granted, you can easily drop $1800 or more going Blu, but I think it can be done less expensively. We have a 32 inch Philips HDTV that retails for about $700, and can score a Blu Ray player for about $150 these days--a higher end model for about $230. Not sure what cables you're referring to (or where you're buying them), but an HDMI cable can be found for about $50. Yes, the sound system is required to take advantage of 5.1 and 7.1 audio mastering, but I think most people consider that a get-to-it-later add-on. So, you're looking at $980 without a sound system.

Of course, I realize many of you with larger budgets have a hard time fathoming owning a TV less than ninety seven inches and hearing the sound through less than eighteen speakers in a sound-proofed room connected with 24k gold wires. Still, I think going Blu can be done on a budget these days, and I believe more people will elect to do so as the economy recovers and less people are worried about how hungry their children are at night.

Very true.

But if I'm going to go the Blu route I will be going all the way (many other people feel the same way). There is no comparison between a 32 inch and a 50 inch HDTV (some of which can be had for $1200-1500).

Blu is perfect for those large screen TVs.

You will save money in the long run by buying a better system from the get go. With a system as I outlined in my previous post, there will be no need for a better upgrade for many years to come.

Thanks

Carcosa
06-23-09, 05:19 PM
YES Bloo ray is better than DVD

YES you can now get a perfectly acceptable BD player cheaply

YES the price of Bleu raye discs are dropping in general

YES I have a Blu-ray player and I think its fantastic

YES I still buy plenty of DVDs because the selection of Blue Ray movies kind of sucks at the moment....and doesn't appear to be getting that much better that quickly.

YES the Toshiba XDE player makes your DVDs look almost HD quality. Almost.

NO I have no plans of switching over the vast majority of my DVDs to Blu-rays even if every one of the discs I had where available. Not everything benefits dramatically from HD.

...and it doesn't matter because.....

YES, I will always be able to play DVDs no matter what.

So buy DVDs and don't give it a second thought. If you can get it on Blu-ray, that's even better.

Mr. Cinema
06-23-09, 05:43 PM
YES Bloo ray is better than DVD

YES you can now get a perfectly acceptable BD player cheaply

YES the price of Bleu raye discs are dropping in general

YES I have a Blu-ray player and I think its fantastic

YES I still buy plenty of DVDs because the selection of Blue Ray movies kind of sucks at the moment....and doesn't appear to be getting that much better that quickly.

No. The XDE player adds excessive edge enhancement, which makes your dvds look awful.

NO I have no plans of switching over the vast majority of my DVDs to Blu-rays even if every one of the discs I had where available. Not everything benefits dramatically from HD.

...and it doesn't matter because.....

YES, I will always be able to play DVDs no matter what.

So buy DVDs and don't give it a second thought. If you can get it on Blu-ray, that's even better.

Fanboy
06-24-09, 11:38 AM
In addition, when anyone wishes to enter the Blu-Ray world, they will need to put down quite a chunk of change...$200 for proper cables....

Not sure what cables you're referring to (or where you're buying them), but an HDMI cable can be found for about $50.

If any of my friends spent $50 (nevermind $200) on a HDMI cable, I'd smack them.

High-end cables can set you back hundreds of $$.

Only if you drink the Kool-Aid.

afultz075
06-24-09, 05:26 PM
^ I agree, please do not spend more than $10 shipped for an HDMI cable (and even $10 is more than you need to spend).

My monoprice cable (less than $10 shipped) works just as well as anything the stores are trying to hawk for $50-100+.

Jedi Master 33
06-24-09, 06:42 PM
I got my HDMI cable off Amazon for less than $5.

Ethan VanSciver
06-24-09, 11:18 PM
When the zombies come, and all you have is your massive dvd library and a generator, you won't care that you didn't upgrade to Blu Ray.

And the zombies are coming.

Solid Snake
06-25-09, 06:54 AM
Mine cost a dollar ( thank you amazon.com) and it looks amazing. What's the deal w/ the high price HDMI cables btw?...never understood that part..

Travis McClain
06-25-09, 01:21 PM
When the zombies come, and all you have is your massive dvd library and a generator, you won't care that you didn't upgrade to Blu Ray.

And the zombies are coming.

Along these lines, I suggest that everyone's DVD library include the insightful documentary, Shaun of the Dead. It will be helpful when the zombies come.

Carcosa
06-25-09, 01:54 PM
No. The XDE player adds excessive edge enhancement, which makes your dvds look awful.

Nope, not to me. I think they look pretty darn good.

ninjashoes
06-25-09, 01:56 PM
Well now that more and more people are getting PS3's and more and more people have blu ray drives coming with the new computers that they are buying, it kinda seems dumb to get a movie on DVD that you can get on Blu Ray for 5 bucks more.

Blu Ray is slowly taking over, I remember a few months ago at the local Fred meyer there was maybe 20 Blu Ray titles, now there is double that.

Like someone else said if the movie is sorta rare/less popular then get it on DVD but if your talking the Matrix, Goodfellas, Bladerunner etc then get it on Blu Ray.

Carcosa
06-25-09, 02:00 PM
If any of my friends spent $50 (nevermind $200) on a HDMI cable, I'd smack them.

Cables can be found $20 or under if one actually shops around. There are those who think you need a $200 to do it all properly. The makers of the $200 cable have done a real swell marketing job I guess.

Snowmaker
06-25-09, 02:41 PM
^ I agree, please do not spend more than $10 shipped for an HDMI cable (and even $10 is more than you need to spend).

My monoprice cable (less than $10 shipped) works just as well as anything the stores are trying to hawk for $50-100+.

Yup! I have 4 HDMI cables from Monoprice. All work just fine and I probably paid no more than $30 shipped for all 4.

outlander78
07-02-09, 02:41 PM
Here's a neat statistic - in England, in the first half of 2009, DVD dales fell 10% over the first half of 2008, while Blu-Ray surged more than 200%. However, this translated into sales of 3 million Blu-Ray disks and 99 million DVDs. Looks like lack of demand won't be the reason the new format wins, if it wins.

source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/07/02/uk_h1_dvd_bd_sales/

DonnachaOne
07-02-09, 03:39 PM
Big lots has HDMI cables for $5.

Gizmo
07-02-09, 04:06 PM
Well now that more and more people are getting PS3's and more and more people have blu ray drives coming with the new computers that they are buying, it kinda seems dumb to get a movie on DVD that you can get on Blu Ray for 5 bucks more.

Blu Ray is slowly taking over, I remember a few months ago at the local Fred meyer there was maybe 20 Blu Ray titles, now there is double that.

Like someone else said if the movie is sorta rare/less popular then get it on DVD but if your talking the Matrix, Goodfellas, Bladerunner etc then get it on Blu Ray.

Most Blu-rays are not $5 more. And double of 20 is 40...

jjcool
07-03-09, 04:02 PM

Most Blu-rays are not $5 more. And double of 20 is 40...

What Gizmo said. 40 titles isnt alot. My local FYE still only has one half of one side of an aisle for Blue. While having 5 or 6 and a half full aisles(both sides) for dvd. Blues isnt taking over by any stretch of the imagination.

Carcosa
07-05-09, 10:15 AM
No...but in less than a year the blu-ray aisle will be double that size and the prices will be cheaper and more comparable to DVD. People just need to roll with it. Your DVDs will still play fine in your blu-ray player.

jjcool
07-05-09, 12:17 PM
What Gizmo said. 40 titles isnt alot. My local FYE still only has one half of one side of an aisle for Blue. While having 5 or 6 and a half full aisles(both sides) for dvd. Blues isnt taking over by any stretch of the imagination.

No...but in less than a year the blu-ray aisle will be double that size and the prices will be cheaper and more comparable to DVD. People just need to roll with it. Your DVDs will still play fine in your blu-ray player.

Double the size is still only 80 titles or about 10% of the amount of DVD. Prices will have to drop by about half on the vast majority of titles that I have seen for them to be comparable to DVD.

b2net
07-05-09, 01:20 PM
The big adoption of blu will come when the blu players get as inexpensive as dvd players. While the blu-ray discs are dropping in price (sale or regular - with some being as cheap or cheaper than the same title on DVD), the players are the big inhibitor to folks adopting that format. Also, many HDTV owners have screens 37" or less (and as well many have 720p). With a very good DVD player and a good HDTV (even 720p), and depending on sitting distance, the visual upgrade to blu-ray is there but not as fantastic as those experience with larger screens. This makes the wow factor less of a motivation to spend $200 to $300 for a new player (and more on rentals, etc).

Gaff
07-06-09, 06:42 PM
DVD will get phased out some day, but I don't think it will be any time soon. The barriers to adoption are so much greater for Blu-ray. With DVD all you needed to do was buy a new player, now you need to buy a new TV and speakers and cables to benefit from the increased clarity. I've liked what I've seen but honestly I don't have the kind of money for the big Blu upgrade and especially now I don't think I'm alone.

PhantomStranger
07-06-09, 07:28 PM
History is apparently repeating itself again with certain consumers. Ask the laserdisc collectors who clung to that format when dvd was introduced. Virtually all the dvds you see now will be treated the way people treat VHS tapes now, as worthless and disposable. There are exceptions of course but dvd buyers should start preparing now if they want to be ahead of the curve. Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store. Since all Blu-ray players also play dvd, stores will stop carrying low-margin dvd players as the BD players decline in price.

chris_sc77
07-06-09, 08:01 PM
^You are fucking insane if you are comparing DVD's to laserdisks.
DO you understand how many DVD's and DVD players are sold each month compared to laserdisk and even Blu-ray media and players?

TomOpus
07-06-09, 08:12 PM
Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store.That will only happen when BD players hit $100 and stay there. Ain't gonna happen any time soon.

Gizmo
07-06-09, 10:04 PM
History is apparently repeating itself again with certain consumers. Ask the laserdisc collectors who clung to that format when dvd was introduced. Virtually all the dvds you see now will be treated the way people treat VHS tapes now, as worthless and disposable. There are exceptions of course but dvd buyers should start preparing now if they want to be ahead of the curve. Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store. Since all Blu-ray players also play dvd, stores will stop carrying low-margin dvd players as the BD players decline in price.

Right... we heard the 12 month thing when HD DVD was over "now that all the studios are Blu its only a matter of time! By August..."

Not ever going to happen. DVD players will always be sold just like VHS players are today.

NoirFan
07-06-09, 10:17 PM
I wouldn't use that as an example. Severin has gone blu, and is starting to release new and older titles in BD. Inglourious Bastards and Eagles Over London will be first, and Hardware is coming in Sept.

Don't forget Screwballs!

WMAangel
07-07-09, 12:16 AM
Within 12 months it will be very hard to buy a dvd-only player at a retail store.

I'd like to have some of whatever you're drinking if you really believe this statement...you'd have to be intoxicated to think something as ubiquitous as a DVD player will be difficult to find at most retailers only a year from now...
Hell, you could still find VHS decks easily up until just a couple years ago, and that was after DVD had already been in the market for a decade....

Yes, BD players will play DVDs, and prices continue to fall, and cheaper options will appear soon, but there is no way that by July 2010 somehow BD players will have completely taken over the low end of the market and there will be Chinese-made $30 BD players for sale at Walgreens or CVS the way that standard DVD players are now....

T-900
07-07-09, 04:36 AM
DVD Players are going to be wildly available for many years to come. In fact, it might even take a good 5 or 6 years before blu-ray even has a look at taking over and becoming the mainstream resource for movie playback. As many of you know, when people were making the switch from VHS-to-DVD they had the luxury of keeping there existing television sets and enjoying a richer, clearer picture without any additional expenses. DVDs were of course compact discs which made cases easier for storage space, DVDs also introduced or to before hand laserdisc owners re-introduced the luxury of special features which were rarely available on VHS cassettes. And lastly, at a certain point DVD Players and discs became instantly affordable as there were no record functions to bump up the price, single-disc editions were also low on cost as 2-disc prints were an option.. Anyway i guess what I'm trying to say is that the upgrade from VHS-to-DVD was a much larger jump then what DVD is to Blu-ray since with this move customers only receive a better picture and not much more. This and the cost of HD-TVs is what I think will set blu-ray back from DVD for years to come..

orangerunner
07-07-09, 10:46 AM

As others have noted this is a very highly unlikely scenerio, to put it mildly.

Laserdisc was a small-scale niche product while DVD is a wildly successful mainstream product. Other than the fact they were both disc formats, the comparison ends there.

Blu-ray taking over in twelve months isn't going to happen. In fact, I'm surprised at how little Blu-ray has done to really penetrate the market. Yes, they're advertising the hell out of it which may lead one to believe it's gaining a huge share of the market but the sales just aren't there so far.

The cheapest advertised machine at Best Buy is still $275 for a Samsung. I know there's saavy buyers on this site who like to boast of buying a top-of-the-line Sony player for $150 and never pay more than $5 for a new release but for everyone else it's still $8-$10 more for the Blu-ray movies.

When the Sony players are under $100 the market will shift. At the slow rate the prices have been dropping so far, will Blu-ray have missed the boat by then?

jjcool
07-08-09, 12:27 PM

You're crazy. 12 months is a very optimistic time frame for this so called phasing out of dvd players. Blue ray players have to come way down in price, discs have to come way down in price, and they have to up the titles they are releasing. Last I read there was only about 1% of the titles on blue ray that were avaialble on dvd.

jjcool
07-08-09, 12:30 PM
When the Sony players are under $100 the market will shift. At the slow rate the prices have been dropping so far, will Blu-ray have missed the boat by then?

Good question. It all depends on what the next format is and how quickly it rears it's head.

wvtechs
07-08-09, 12:46 PM

I believe that DVD may eventually be replaced by BluRay but 12 months is a totally unrealistic time frame.

I know there's saavy buyers on this site who like to boast of buying a top-of-the-line Sony player for $150 and never pay more than $5 for a new release but for everyone else it's still $8-$10 more for the Blu-ray movies.

This was the point I was trying to make in my DVD v/s BluRay thread before someone came trolling by and it all went to hell. The fact that most (NOT ALL) BluRay titles are considerably more expensive than DVD is enough to make me keep buying them on DVD for the forseeable future, no matter how good BluRay happens to be.

Gizmo
07-08-09, 01:41 PM
I believe that DVD may eventually be replaced by BluRay but 12 months is a totally unrealistic time frame.

Yeah, that was being spout-out back in early 2008 and DVD SA are still outselling Blu-ray players by a wide margin.

orangerunner
07-08-09, 03:47 PM
This was the point I was trying to make in my DVD v/s BluRay thread before someone came trolling by and it all went to hell. The fact that most (NOT ALL) BluRay titles are considerably more expensive than DVD is enough to make me keep buying them on DVD for the forseeable future, no matter how good BluRay happens to be.

I remember a several months back when your typical new release was $32.95 on Blu-ray and $22.95 on DVD.

Now you see Blu-ray at $27.99 and DVD priced at $18.99. So yes, Blu-ray is getting cheaper but that $8-$10 price gap hasn't changed & it isn't helping consumers feel like they're getting more value from the Blu-ray.

They have started putting exclusive features on the Blu-ray that aren't on the DVD which certainly helps but I think the novelty of having the making-of featurettes, audio commentaries, bloopers & trailers has worn off. They are a big selling point for certain "fanboy" films and that is generally the clientele that are already sold on Blu-ray anyway.

Logically, Blu-ray is a superior product and should cost more. Trying to convince the "Joe" consumer, who has expressed very little discontent with the current DVD format, that they need to upgrade is proving to be difficult.

It proves even more difficult when you add the expenses of the 7.1 surround system and the larger HDTV screen you need to make the switch even worth undertaking in the first place.

UngersPride
07-08-09, 06:31 PM
On TV sets the prices between DVD and Blu are even wider.

In Canada I just bought Season One of Prison Break on SD DVD for $19.95, while the Blu Ray version is a whopping $79.95!

At those price differentials I'll be sticking with SD DVD...

Gizmo
07-08-09, 08:01 PM
I remember a several months back when your typical new release was $32.95 on Blu-ray and $22.95 on DVD.

Now you see Blu-ray at $27.99 and DVD priced at $18.99.

You are wrong. Feel free to search the Best Buy/Target ads here and point out the $32.99 Day and Date titles for me.

orangerunner
07-08-09, 09:55 PM
You are wrong. Feel free to search the Best Buy/Target ads here and point out the $32.99 Day and Date titles for me.

Off the top of my head, when the Wrestler came out in April, it was advertised in the flyer at $32.95 for Blu-ray/ $24.95 DVD. That's just a fairly recent title at a special first week price.

Bear in mind we don't all live in Southern California, either. The prices I'm quoting are from the Best Buy flyer in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada.

I'm sure the prices vary somewhat from city to city. Maybe the pricing isn't as aggressive up here. The difference in the US/Canadian dollar may be a factor as well.

Spiderwolf7
07-09-09, 04:47 PM
I have about 750 DVD's to date, but sometime in the future I do plan on getting a Bluray player. I am in no hurry though, due to the high prices of the players. I am not at all worried about not being able to play my DVD's in the future because these DVD's will be able to be played in the Bluray player, and I hear they will look even better.
So I will keep buying my regular disc's with no fear that they won't be available to use in the future. The only thing that is wrong is the Special Features which like other people have said and I have been starting to notice are going more and more to the Bluray disc's and not the Standard ones. I'm not bothered a lot about that as long as I can get the full, uncut movie on standard disc. But there are exceptions that pop up now and then. But about 90% of the time all I need is just the full movie. I can by pass the special features. But I understand other people are upset about losing their special features- and rightly so.

Im kind of with you.I have a 60 inch Pioneer Plasma in my theater room, a 40 inch Sharp LCD in my Family room and a 40 inch Samsung Plasma in my bar and they have all been calibrated and all the equipment is top notch stuff. I just recently broke down and bought a Blu ray player amd a few movies and I dont see much of a difference between the Blu ray and an upconverted DVD. Certainly not worth and extra $10 the disc cost plus the extra money a Blu ray player costs over an upconvert DVD player. Im disappointed because of all the hype and not seeing that big of a difference, and feel like Im being taken for a ride with this new format just to get more money out of us.

Mr. Salty
07-10-09, 12:36 AM
Im kind of with you.I have a 60 inch Pioneer Plasma in my theater room, a 40 inch Sharp LCD in my Family room and a 40 inch Samsung Plasma in my bar and they have all been calibrated and all the equipment is top notch stuff. I just recently broke down and bought a Blu ray player amd a few movies and I dont see much of a difference between the Blu ray and an upconverted DVD. Certainly not worth and extra $10 the disc cost plus the extra money a Blu ray player costs over an upconvert DVD player. Im disappointed because of all the hype and not seeing that big of a difference, and feel like Im being taken for a ride with this new format just to get more money out of us.

If you have a 60-inch Pioneer plasma and don't see a difference, I would suggest that you need to check your settings. Assuming you're using HDMI, make sure your player is set to output the native resolution of your plasma (1080p or whatever).

h0mi
07-10-09, 11:47 AM
Right... we heard the 12 month thing when HD DVD was over "now that all the studios are Blu its only a matter of time! By August..."

Not ever going to happen. DVD players will always be sold just like VHS players are today.

The only VHS players I see today are combo units with DVD players/recorders. I haven't seen a standalone VHS VCR since 2007.

That some people were overly optimistic (8 months from nao!) doesn't mean it won't happen.

jjcool
07-10-09, 11:53 AM
The only VHS players I see today are combo units with DVD players/recorders. I haven't seen a standalone VHS VCR since 2007.

That some people were overly optimistic (8 months from nao!) doesn't mean it won't happen.

Some people were overly optimistic several times. Ive heard that 8 months bs many times. Sure it doesnt mean it wont happen. Of course the sky could fall too.

Gizmo
07-10-09, 12:04 PM
Off the top of my head, when the Wrestler came out in April, it was advertised in the flyer at $32.95 for Blu-ray/ $24.95 DVD. That's just a fairly recent title at a special first week price.

Bear in mind we don't all live in Southern California, either. The prices I'm quoting are from the Best Buy flyer in the Vancouver area of BC, Canada.

I'm sure the prices vary somewhat from city to city. Maybe the pricing isn't as aggressive up here. The difference in the US/Canadian dollar may be a factor as well.

That explains it. Silly Canada.

Actually, I believe The Wrestler BD was an Alliance exclusive up there (no Fox release) so that's why the MSRP could have been bloated.

candyrocket786
07-10-09, 12:12 PM
DVD isn't going anywhere.

Hell, I still buy them along with my HD-DVDs and Blu-Rays :D

orangerunner
07-13-09, 10:57 AM
That explains it. Silly Canada.

Actually, I believe The Wrestler BD was an Alliance exclusive up there (no Fox release) so that's why the MSRP could have been bloated.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the Blu-Ray price is bloated or fair, there's still an $8-$10 gap with DVD on new releases.

Libby
07-14-09, 03:10 PM
I'm not worried. I don't really see the rush to switch formats especially with Blu Ray being so expensive. The difference between VHS and DVD warranted the need to upgrade to DVD because it offered so much more then VHS but I'm not going to pay twice as much for a slightly better picture and sound. I've got a PS3 and a high def TV and I wasn't blown away by the difference. DVDs will still dominate the market for some time.

Carcosa
07-15-09, 07:08 PM
I love DVDs. I love Blu-ray a little bit more. 'Nuff said....

Lastdaysofrain
07-16-09, 07:28 AM
It's not the picture quality that makes the average person switch formats, it's the convinience factor. Blu Ray is no more convinient than DVD is. DVD was FAR more convinient than VHS (no rewinding! skip chapters, smaller! lighter! cheaper!), so that leap made a lot of sense.

Your average person (who are critical to a format catching on) I don't think really know there is much of a difference between DVD and Blu Ray.

orangerunner
07-17-09, 12:52 PM
It doesn't seem to matter whether the Blu-Ray price is bloated or fair, there's still an $8-$10 gap with DVD on new releases.

Just a footnote to my own comment, I noticed the Watchmen advertised in the latest Best Buy flyer.

The pricing scale is:

Blu-ray (3 disc): $29.99
DVD (2 disc): $27.99
DVD (bare-bones): $18.99

I imagine sales for the DVD 2 disc will be very small because this is a film that caters to the demographic who probably already have a Blu-ray player or a PS3. Given the minor $2 price difference, those that want the extras may seriously consider a Blu-ray player/PS3.

I'm sure this'll be the trend; if you want extras you get the Blu-ray. If you don't care about the extras, stick with DVD for $10 less.