Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

So I just watched 24 Season 1 for the first time

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-09, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I just watched 24 Season 1 for the first time

Wow, great show. I've never seen any of this series before, but i'm hooked. Finished the dvds in less than a week...i'm ready for season 2!
Old 06-04-09, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So I just watched 24 Season 1 for the first time

Hold your breath as you go. The quality of each season is like a rollercoaster. All are still enjoyable, but there are certainly some seasons that are better than others.
Old 06-04-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Finish it in time for season 8 next January
Old 06-04-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rfduncan
Hold your breath as you go. The quality of each season is like a rollercoaster. All are still enjoyable, but there are certainly some seasons that are better than others.
You got that right!
I think if you're watching them in a short period of time, the bad seasons are going to be very painful... those of us who watched as they aired had a week to get over it.

Enjoy!
Old 06-04-09, 11:51 AM

Grab some caffeine and watch an entire season in 24 hrs.
Old 06-04-09, 11:52 AM

Odd-numbered seasons tend to be better than even-numbered ones, but season 1 (especially the first half of it) is pretty unique.
Old 06-04-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I did the same thing you did Hap. I saw all the seasons on DVD in time for season 7 to catch on TV. Personally, I thought every season was good. Some were better than others but only season 6 was bad.

I'm sure you'll enjoy all the rest and you'll get through them just as quickly.
Old 06-04-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I own S1-3 on DVD, but I've only watched 1 and 2. I thought both were fantastic, though I'd give the edge to S1. I really should break out S3 sometime soon.
Old 06-04-09, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

See I don't think I want to watch them on FOX when they are current...too suspenseful and intense to wait a week between episodes, I think I'd rather just watch them on dvd.
Old 06-04-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah I finally got around to watching 24 as well after some prodding from some friends and am really hooked so far. I'm about half way through Season 1 right now and it's getting a lot harder to wait for the new discs to come through Netflix even with doing 2 discs at a time.
Old 06-04-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I haven't caught a single episode as it aired, instead going the route you've mentioned watching them on DVD. I got a good deal on season 6 several months ago and haven't been motivated enough to start on it based on the negative talk around here. I did enjoy each of the first 5 seasons. And I plan to get 6 sometime soon, while keeping an eye out for a good deal on 7.

It was a thrill to go through the seasons on DVD. My wife and I would go through the episodes late at night and it was a challenge to put the remote down and turn in for the night.

Last edited by Cardsfan111; 06-04-09 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like the OP and cardsfan, I'm more a fan of watching this on DVD and have never caught an episode live. I usually take a day off work to make a long weekend and then plow through a season.

Also like cardsfan, I've had Season 6 for a couple months but haven't watched it yet because of the negativity surrounding it. Although, I didn't think Season 5 was the masterpiece that so many here seem to think it is so I'll be going in with an open mind whenever I do get around to S6.
Old 06-04-09, 03:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched season one as it aired. I thought it was a pretty great show. I appreciated the relatively straightforward plot lines, and they really handled the 'real time' 24 hour thing realistically - which made it unique from similar shows. Unfortunately, with each passing season the storylines get more convoluted and ridiculous, and the '24 hour' framework of the show becomes less and less believable. Pretty soon, Jack is driving accross LA in under five minutes after catastrophic terrorist attacks throw the city into a panic.
Old 06-04-09, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

pure crack
Old 06-04-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess this is a good place to ask: Without spoilers, how was this last season?

I stopped watching about 5 or 6 episodes into last season.
Old 06-04-09, 03:33 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I watched season one as it aired. I thought it was a pretty great show. I appreciated the relatively straightforward plot lines, and they really handled the 'real time' 24 hour thing realistically - which made it unique from similar shows. Unfortunately, with each passing season the storylines get more convoluted and ridiculous, and the '24 hour' framework of the show becomes less and less believable. Pretty soon, Jack is driving accross LA in under five minutes after catastrophic terrorist attacks throw the city into a panic.
My favorite example of that is when a character gets shot and goes into a coma, then three hours later is running around shooting at badguys with no sign of any problems.
Old 06-04-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Although, I didn't think Season 5 was the masterpiece that so many here seem to think it is so I'll be going in with an open mind whenever I do get around to S6.
I thought the same thing when I decided to watch Smallville Season 4 on DVD. Turns out everyone here was right.

Originally Posted by wmansir
I guess this is a good place to ask: Without spoilers, how was this last season?

I stopped watching about 5 or 6 episodes into last season.
There were a handful of people in the threads that weren't too keen on it, but I think the majority of folks here would rank it in the top 3 seasons of the show's run.

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
You got that right!
I think if you're watching them in a short period of time, the bad seasons are going to be very painful... those of us who watched as they aired had a week to get over it.
I totally disagree with this. When watching it as a marathon it's easy to miss redundancies, giant gaping plot holes and odd character moments. With a week between episodes (and the lively discussion threads) every nuance, for better or worse, is picked apart.

FWIW, I watched 1-2 on DVD in time to catch Season 3 and up live.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 06-04-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-04-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a fun series... the first time through. Each time I got a season on DVD I ate through it in days and loved it. But then I tried re-watching it with my girlfriend. I had to struggle with watching the first season again, it just felt bad. Once the surprise factor is gone I could only focus on the had writing and huge plot holes.

Does anyone else hate it on repeat viewing?
Old 06-04-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^Even though I've only seen the first season, I definitely feel it holds zero replay value.
Old 06-04-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've found that there is replay value in the different seasons. I've gone back to check out the first season on two different occasions...once just to take a closer look at the set's special features. Sure, it's never the same as the first time with all the different plot twists and turns, but I've still found it enjoyable.
Old 06-04-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was excited & believed all the hype also after watching the first season in a bout 10 days on DVD, felt the same way, slightly less after the second season. By the fourth season I quite & have had zero desire to ever go back to the series. It becomes so repetitive, it's just the same thing over & over & over. The show bascially becomes a parody of itself.
Old 06-04-09, 05:30 PM

First season was great, then it`s all downhill from there I am sorry to say. it gets old fast.
Old 06-04-09, 08:22 PM

I did the same thing. I watched the first couple discs of season 1 of 24 through Netflix. Before I knew it I was buying the others seasons without watching them first. I liked Season 5 the best so far and this season. Season 7 was the first season I saw in broadcast TV. Great Show. Good Ride and great twists in every episode.
Old 06-04-09, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought everyone would get into this show when BestBuy had the first 6 season for $26.94 + tax.
I really enjoyed S7 and can't wait for S8.
Old 06-04-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought Season 2 was great. It was slightly better than 1 imo...starting from season 3 they just got worse and worse to the point where I haven't even watched the last 2 seasons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.