Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Need help w/DVD system

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help w/DVD system

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-00, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had our mini stereo cd laser go this past weekend, so I have to look at a whole different setup for my bedroom. Panasonic makes some interesting DVD all in ones.

Have not been able to find many opinions (only 2 about one of them at audioreview).

They are the following:

Panasonic SC-DK1
" SC-DK2
" SC-DK3
" SC-DV150

Which is the best of the bunch? What are the differences in quality? Remember, I am not looking for terrific here, just a replacement for a cheap system while adding DVD capability. Interested also in the quality of the firmware in these so I can avoid problems.
Old 05-18-00, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why not the Toshiba 6109c?

I can't imagine you can get any of the Panasonics for significanly less than the $350 or so this Tosh goes for (www.mobshop.com).

Then again, you'd have to buy speakers. Can you use the ones from your dead mini system until you can upgrade?

I use the 6109c in my bedroom. Works well. Sounds great.

Sorry I don't have any info about the units you're looking at.

-S
Old 05-18-00, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Steve,

Because there is no tape player either....Wife records tapes for the car. Also, the speakers...

Believe me, I thought about the Tosh's. And no, the speakers I have with the dead system are crud and not a full set (only two) Yes, it's that old...

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited May 18, 2000).]
Old 05-18-00, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
quote:<HR>Originally posted by xcheckers:
Steve,

Because there is no tape player either....Wife records tapes for the car. Also, the speakers...

Believe me, I thought about the Tosh's. And no, the speakers I have with the dead system are crud and not a full set (only two) Yes, it's that old...

[This message has been edited by xcheckers (edited May 18, 2000).]
<HR>

As far as I can tell, the SC-DK1 is around $600 (or more). That means you can get a 6109c and still have $250 to spend on speakers and a cassette deck.

I realize I'm assuming that everyone has the same priorities as me, but... I'd rather have 2 decent speakers and be able to upgrade later, than to have the 5 speakers that come with any mini system. That being said, I do have a JVC mini system at work that I used to use in the bedroom (um...4 systems ago )

Then again, if you thought the same way I do, you'd get your wife a CD player for the car.

-S
Old 05-18-00, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

found 1 of the abouve for $450 and another in the mid 500s...

What I care about are the differences. Not going to upgrade this at all.. I appreciate the comments, but I have limited space and I am not looking for surround sound. Need an audio system more than the video, but would like both...