Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Spider-Man Villain?

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics
View Poll Results: Favorite Spider-Man Villain?
Boomerang
0%
Carnage
1.85%
Chameleon
0%
Doctor Octopus
16.67%
Electro
0%
Green Goblin
27.78%
Hammerhead
0%
Hobgoblin
7.41%
Hydro-Man
0%
Jackal
1.85%
Kingpin
1.85%
Kraven the Hunter
11.11%
Lizard
3.70%
Molten Man
0%
Morbius
0%
Mysterio
5.56%
Puma
0%
Rhino
1.85%
Sandman
0%
Scorpion
1.85%
Shocker
1.85%
Tarantula
1.85%
Venom
12.96%
Vulture
0%
OTHER
1.85%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pretty simple poll (and it's probably been done before), but maybe it will open up some discussion...who is your favorite Spider-man villain?
Old 06-01-09, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Favorite Spider-Man Villain?

I went Kraven simply because, KLH is one of my favorite story lines from when I was a kid. Hobgoblin and Venom were very very close 2nds...

-Hobgoblin was just fun, plus I had his Secret Wars figure, so he was always who was fighting SPidey when I played...

-I loved Venom in his early days, when he was a pure villian. Amazing SM around the 290ish to the 315ish issues, he was great, but was completely ruined i thought with Carnage and him becoming a hero...
Old 06-02-09, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Aside from "Last Hunt", Kraven really never did much for me, but WOW... how great was that storyline? I was just in awe of it back then.

I personally went with Hobgoblin. He's visually a great looking character (always loved the orange hood).

I am awaiting someone to write in their vote for the Spot!
Old 06-02-09, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll be the lone Tarantula vote! Spidey's got a ton of great villains.. and to narrow it down to one is near impossible! So I went with nostalgia. A comic I got from my best friend growing up feature Tarantula as the villain, so I went with him. Also for nostalgia sake- Vulture from an early issue of "Spectacular" I had (I just thought it was neat because of how old it was and the low number.. I want to say 4) and Hammerhead, because when I got into Spidey, he was a focus at the time.

Carnage would have to rank really low for me, because I got sick of it all during "Maximum Carnage", and that story line was the last time I purchased a Spider-Man monthly.
Old 06-02-09, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

I probably will go with a "boring" pick and choose either the Green Goblin (though I don't really pay attention to his convoluted recent resurrection) or Doc Ock. I think the fight I remember the most vividly, though, is the one with Juggernaut, where Spidey's just unable to do jack against him...
Old 06-02-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How come Joe Quesada isn't an option?

I would pick "other" but I'm having trouble deciding who is the greater villain: Bartok the Leaper, Kangaroo, or Rocket Racer. Who am I kidding? Spider-man had no greater foe than the late, great disgruntled sign painter (yes...disgruntled sign painter) known as Typeface. Sadly, he died tragically during Civil War. One can only hope that his potential sidekick Spellcheck (as seen in Ted McKeever's story from the also late, great "Spider-Man's Tangled Web") will one day take up the reigns.

But seriously, there are a plethora of great Spider-Man villains and this was a hard choice. I chose Green Goblin (pre-resurrection), but Doc Ock, The Lizard, and Kraven are allin the running.
Venom started off well, but using him too often and then making him into a hero was one of the dumbest moves in comic book history.
The less said about Carnage the better. I also stopped reading Spider-Man after "Maximum Carnage" and didn't pick it up again until JMS's run, which I thought started off well and then turned to crap.
Old 06-02-09, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 164 Likes on 117 Posts

I have always loved Mysterio, ever since one of the first Spidey comics I picked up, #199, and its fantastic cliffhanger. Great visuals and a creepy motif, even though many of the stories about Mysterio haven't been wonderful.
Old 06-03-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kinda surprised about the love for Doc Ock. Can't say I ever found his appearances all that entertaining, aside from maybe him dating Aunt May.

And yes, I almost but Quesada on here.
Old 06-04-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I voted for Venom, even though it seems like long time Spidey fans hate him. I only started paying attention to comics in the early 90's, so I always thought it was cool that there was a villain similar to Spider-man, and that the whole story with Spidey's black costume was really cool.
Old 06-04-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember learning to read so I could read the daily comic and I remember Mysterio being the first villian that made me go "whoa!"
Old 06-04-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I voted for Venom, even though it seems like long time Spidey fans hate him. I only started paying attention to comics in the early 90's, so I always thought it was cool that there was a villain similar to Spider-man, and that the whole story with Spidey's black costume was really cool.
I think it's more like old time fans like him, as long as they can ignore all the crap that happened after he got overexposed along with Wolverine, Gambit, Ghost Rider, and the other "antiheroes" of the 90's. He was an awesome villain when used right, but then they started using him way too often, turned him into a hero, and then upped the ridiculousness with Maximum Carnage and the like.

Isn't Scorpion now Venom or something?
Old 06-04-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Didn't Kevin Smith kill off Mysterio in Daredevil? Thats the last I remember of him.
Old 06-04-09, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Hobgoblin was always my favorite.
Old 06-08-09, 07:31 PM

Green Goblin (Norman Osborne) He's a strong example of the saying it's hard to keep a good man down, but's it's even harder to keep a bad one down. He is a complete monster, and pure evil. Time after time the Sinister Original Malevolent Green Goblin has plagued his most hated enemy the wallcrawler Spider Man including one of his most infamous acts the Death of Gwen Stacy that I think ended the Silver Age. He has made Spider Man's life a living hell because he hates him, and because he's that nefarious. Even as Norman Osborne he's a deplorable b@stard treating his own son like he's trash which is ironic when that's what Norman is, and just about all others showing a complete lack of humility, respect, and compassion.
Old 06-08-09, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think it's more like old time fans like him, as long as they can ignore all the crap that happened after he got overexposed along with Wolverine, Gambit, Ghost Rider, and the other "antiheroes" of the 90's. He was an awesome villain when used right, but then they started using him way too often, turned him into a hero, and then upped the ridiculousness with Maximum Carnage and the like.

Isn't Scorpion now Venom or something?
Yes at the moment Scorpion is the host of the alien symboite costume that was previously worn by Venom (Eddie Brock), and Spider Man.
Old 06-25-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Voted for the Lizard. I like the crossover with the relationship with Dr Connors.
Old 06-25-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked Kraven - he was only one that actually beat Spiderman at end.

Punisher should be on the list. He was considered villian in the beginning.