Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : What's your one complaint about Directv?

dvd-4-life
05-31-09, 04:22 PM
The remote control. One day it will turn on everything in the house including the microwave and the next day it won't turn on Jack Squat.

Deftones
05-31-09, 04:41 PM
nothing other than price increases, but that's the same with any tv service the past few years.

OldBoy
05-31-09, 04:46 PM
the fact they did away with the electronic box score option for YES Network.

andicus
05-31-09, 04:53 PM
The fact that our dumbass CRTC won't let us legally subscribe in Canada.

TGM
05-31-09, 05:06 PM
that any signficant rainstorm makes the signal go wonky

Jadzia
05-31-09, 07:22 PM
The HD Tivo can't come soon enough.

Groucho
05-31-09, 07:25 PM
No support for local channels in the Digital spectrum except for the main channels. So, I get 7-1 through Directv, but not 7-2, 7-3, etc.

MrSmearkase
05-31-09, 07:29 PM
This;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZqjLGjlYA8

I just find it kind of creepy and in bad taste.

Spicollidriver1
05-31-09, 07:35 PM

I never had that problem I honestly think that there signal problems are luck then a global service problem. I only lost the signal twice both times there was so much snow that it actually buried the dish in snow.

Red Dog
05-31-09, 08:36 PM
1. You can't split lines easily.
2. Terrible on-demand.
3. What Groucho said.

Achtung
05-31-09, 08:42 PM

I had this issue previously with Dish Network, and they discovered that a corroded switch on my roof was causing the signal to be very sensitive to weather conditions. Just a suggestion, might be good to have someone come out and take a look if you haven't already.

IDrinkMolson
05-31-09, 08:59 PM
Only able to lease and they force you into a 2 year contract. IMO, should be one or the other.

Current DirecTV DVR only holds 50 season passes.

Jeremy517
05-31-09, 09:25 PM
- On Demand is absolutely terrible
- No Comcast Sports Northwest
- No Dual Live Buffers on the HD DVR
- AMC HD almost assuredly won't be available in time for Mad men season three
- ESPNU HD probably won't be available in time for college football

Probably more that I can't think of right now, but in general, it is far better than Comcast, Verizon, or any my other choices.

wendersfan
05-31-09, 09:36 PM
The search function is limited and clumsy. With Dish there's an option to search for the show you have highlighted in the guide. DirecTV doesn't have this very handy function.

smashthesymbols
05-31-09, 10:08 PM
My HD-DVR is very, very slow to do anything and doesn't react well to the remote. Just trying to scroll a page in the guide sometimes takes 10 seconds. Trying to press numbers to go straight to a channel is hopeless too. Sometimes pressing 2 4 9 will get you to channel 29 and other times it will get you to 2222, rarely does it actually get you to 249. The only time it actually works well is when watching a recorded program, the rest of the time it's a chore to do anything.

Also...

Signal drops with heavy rain.
I'm still missing HD versions of a couple locals.
On-Demand sucks.
What Groucho said.

kvrdave
05-31-09, 11:19 PM
Back when I had it, my wife hated the guide screen. I found the DVR to be pretty inferior to the Dish DVR.

Breakfast with Girls
05-31-09, 11:47 PM
Doesn't work well with TiVo, and I like TiVo. :shrug:
Signal drops out here and there on HD channels when it's raining a lot.
No real On-Demand.

rfduncan
06-01-09, 05:51 AM
The HD Tivo can't come soon enough.

Doesn't work well with TiVo, and I like TiVo. :shrug:No more TiVo. Dumbest idea ever to drop that.

nazz
06-01-09, 07:54 AM
- No Dual Live Buffers on the HD DVR

This is in beta for the HD DVR. At least you'll be able to cross this one off soon.

Brian Shannon
06-01-09, 07:57 AM
Nothing and I have had them for more than 10 years.

I have three sets connected, one hd-dvr. The dvr resets itself sometimes but that usually seems to be the result of a power surge because of a storm, not the fault of the box itself.

Jadzia
06-01-09, 10:23 AM
No more TiVo. Dumbest idea ever to drop that.

They renewed their deal with Tivo - a new HD DirecTV Tivo is supposed to be coming in early 2010.

I am hanging on to my other 2 DirecTivos until then. I will look at upgrading to HD on those TVs when it comes out.

I have the HD DirecTV DVR in my main room. It has gotten more reliable lately, but I always set up back-up recordings on the old DirecTivo units to make sure I did not miss a recording. The DirecTV units had too many "blank" recordings for my tastes.

Red Dog
06-01-09, 11:03 AM
The DirecTV units had too many "blank" recordings for my tastes.

That used to be my #1 issue. But they replaced my HD-DVR for free last year and I haven't had any blank recordings since then.

emachine12
06-01-09, 11:10 AM
Inconsistent promotions.

My friends have been with DirecTV for less than two years and they got free Showtime for a year.

I've been with DirecTV since 2002 and they promised me free Showtime for a year, I only got three months. When I complained, they added 1 month but told me the one year free was only for new subscribers.

WTH? When did Verizon Wireless take over DirecTV? If it weren't for the contract and loads of true HD channels< i'd leave them now. What an insult to existing loyal customers.

BDB
06-01-09, 11:17 AM
The search function is limited and clumsy. With Dish there's an option to search for the show you have highlighted in the guide. DirecTV doesn't have this very handy function.

The iPhone App is a fantastic search tool!! Way better than the actual Unit search.

dstrauss
06-01-09, 11:18 AM
There are ways to fake the dual live buffers. It's not simple, but you can get almost the same effect as you can with Tivo.

aktick
06-01-09, 11:33 AM
No DLB, but as said there's an ok workaround and actual DLB should be showing up sooner or later...other than that, my one complaint is probably that they mess up my regional sports alternate channel all the time (I have FSN-North, but in WI we get the alternate FSN-WI just for Brewers/Badgers...they often forget to "flip the switch" and give us Badgers games).

uteotw
06-01-09, 12:56 PM
Other than the price increases (enough to make me waiver after 7 years), the way they handled their own HD-DVR was a nightmare. I was on the front-end of the HR-20 and it was LOADED with bugs. Mine froze up way more times than I could count, many lost recordings, etc. & etc. Plus they just kept changing it and changing it, not just behind the scenes but the user interface too, and every time I'd get used to it, they'd change it again. Sure there were some improvements, but it never should've been handled like that. It seems to have really stabilized, but I'm still eager for the HD-Tivo.

Septemberbaby
06-01-09, 01:25 PM
I hate it when you call them you have to go through hell and high water to get to someone live to talk to. They want you to tell them what your problems are and their system picks up keywords and I sound like an idiot trying to explain myself to a voice activated system and then she comes back with "I'm not understanding you, let's try again".... Just give me a live person for Christ sakes. Drives me nuts!
I have learned that if you hit "O", you'll get there quicker.. but not always.

clckworang
06-01-09, 02:36 PM
I'm loads happier with Direct than I was with Time Warner, but there are a couple of little issues that I don't care for.

1) Remote functionality - I use the Harmony, but I still have problems with the box not responding late to commands or not at all. It's not always a constant thing, but it's an issue enough to annoy me.

2) OnDemand - It's not really on demand if I have to wait to download something, is it? I have basically gotten used to this and knowing that if I have company we can't just watch something on the fly, but it still baffles me that there is no HBO. What gives?

3) Search - As others have said, it's just not very good. It would be nice to have something more detailed and more reliable.

4) Manual recordings - This just seems way clunkier than it needs to be. I liked how on my Time Warner box I could say to record program A but then set the exact time I wanted it to record within that program. It's one of those things when sometimes I don't want to pad just 1 minute, I want to pad 10 minutes. But there isn't an easy way to do so.

fujishig
06-01-09, 02:52 PM
I'm loads happier with Direct than I was with Time Warner, but there are a couple of little issues that I don't care for.

1) Remote functionality - I use the Harmony, but I still have problems with the box not responding late to commands or not at all. It's not always a constant thing, but it's an issue enough to annoy me.

2) OnDemand - It's not really on demand if I have to wait to download something, is it? I have basically gotten used to this and knowing that if I have company we can't just watch something on the fly, but it still baffles me that there is no HBO. What gives?

3) Search - As others have said, it's just not very good. It would be nice to have something more detailed and more reliable.

4) Manual recordings - This just seems way clunkier than it needs to be. I liked how on my Time Warner box I could say to record program A but then set the exact time I wanted it to record within that program. It's one of those things when sometimes I don't want to pad just 1 minute, I want to pad 10 minutes. But there isn't an easy way to do so.

I think 1, 3, and 4 are the same issue... I have the same issue with remotes, and it seems to be because the box is processing and unable to get my commands through.

So I also am waiting for a hopefully awesome DirecTIVO, which cannot come soon enough.

Maxflier
06-01-09, 03:23 PM
Forcing you to be under a long-term lease if you want to be their customer.

When I dropped them earlier this year, after having been a customer for ~8 years, I had to pay like $250 bucks for breaking a lease I had no idea I was under, AND I had to send them the HD DVR I paid $200 for at Best Buy or they would have hit me for several hundred more dollars. I loved their product, but fuck Directv. Once Howard Stern calls it quits and I no longer have a need for cable (which sucks) I will go with Dish Network next time.

Septemberbaby
06-01-09, 03:33 PM
Anyone know anything about At&T UVerse? Am I saying that right?

If it weren't for Dtv airing FNL for two more seasons, I may have considered jumping ship... but I think there are issues with anything/everything cable and satellite related. :shrug:

fujishig
06-01-09, 03:36 PM
Forcing you to be under a long-term lease if you want to be their customer.

When I dropped them earlier this year, after having been a customer for ~8 years, I had to pay like $250 bucks for breaking a lease I had no idea I was under, AND I had to send them the HD DVR I paid $200 for at Best Buy or they would have hit me for several hundred more dollars. I loved their product, but fuck Directv. Once Howard Stern calls it quits and I no longer have a need for cable (which sucks) I will go with Dish Network next time.

Just curious... what reset your lease? New equipment/dish? I can understand why they do that (as otherwise they would have to charge everything up front and it'd be a huge barrier to entry). It's similar to the cell phone companies reducing the cost of their phones with contract. Not sure what they can do about that.

UhateMOFOhateU
06-01-09, 03:46 PM

+999999

I really hate when it happens. :brickwl2:

aktick
06-01-09, 04:03 PM
Anyone know anything about At&T UVerse? Am I saying that right?

If it weren't for Dtv airing FNL for two more seasons, I may have considered jumping ship... but I think there are issues with anything/everything cable and satellite related. :shrug:

IIRC, I heard their video quality was really poor. But that may depend on what area you're in? I'm not sure. It sounds great, but we all know the marketing people and technical people aren't on the same page at most of these places.

mrblog
06-01-09, 05:44 PM
I've been with DirecTV for 12+ years. I was happy until they forced their HR-21 DVR upon me. That's when all the trouble started. After 10+ years of nearly no calls to DirecTV for support, it's been one problem after another for the the past 13 months (since the arrival of the HR-21 box). The experience is utterly sour. Suffice to say with swapping boxes, software upgrades, freezes, glitches in audio, crashes, bad recordings, missed recordings, and on and on - I am at the end of my rope and considering switching to Comcast HD, who I already know I dislike. And the Comcast switch involves $1000 in installation fees and new TiVo boxes, and I think I'm still going to do it and be done with DirecTV, once and for all.

Has anybody else done this? How has it worked out?

Deftones
06-01-09, 05:59 PM
No more TiVo. Dumbest idea ever to drop that.

you know it's coming back right? Should be back in 2010.

PhantomStranger
06-01-09, 06:26 PM
I dropped Directv after eleven years. It annoyed me that you couldn't buy your equipment outright anymore and the constant price increases and long-term commitments with no benefits were not helping. The lack of the newer Tivo models was also a factor. The only thing I think Directv does significantly better are the sports packages. MLB Extra Innings is much better with Directv than the cable providers, who squeeze the picture quality on the games to fit them into their limited bandwidth.

Bill Needle
06-01-09, 09:07 PM
No support for local channels in the Digital spectrum except for the main channels. So, I get 7-1 through Directv, but not 7-2, 7-3, etc.

This.

Plus with so many prime time shows nowdays going 1 or 2 minutes past the hour the DVR does not let you start a recording even 1 minute later or end it even 1 minute earlier. So I have to do a bunch of manual recordings to avoid conflicts.

Maxflier
06-02-09, 12:05 AM
Just curious... what reset your lease? New equipment/dish? I can understand why they do that (as otherwise they would have to charge everything up front and it'd be a huge barrier to entry). It's similar to the cell phone companies reducing the cost of their phones with contract. Not sure what they can do about that.

Yeah, I needed new equipment to get my locals in HD. So the installer came out and put up a new dish and HD DVR and then hands me a lease. I was "what you talkin' bout Willis?". So I called Directv and told them I did not want to be under any lease and specifically asked them if I went to Best Buy and bought my own box (identical to the one the installer gave me) if I could not be obligated to the lease the installer gave me to sign. The lady said YES, I could do that. Fast forward like 6 months when the box craps out on me and I decide that since Directv refuses to add HRTV and that cable offers Howard TV on demand I would make the switch even though I hated to do so.

So after calling and cancelling my service, I go online a few days later to pay my outstanding balance and there is an extra $250 added to what I knew I owed. So when I called to ask WTF, they told me that was for early cancellation. They refused to waive the fee for breaking the lease I was told I would not be under, the customer service manager said that even though I bought the box I was still under a lease and that there should be signs in the store to indicate that (there is I later found out, but I ordered online and did instore pickup but whatever). So I came out of pocket $200 for the box for nothing since I had to give it back anyways. I just feel so burned and disgusted with them.
/rant

JeffTheAlpaca
06-02-09, 02:25 AM
the HD DVR when it freezes up almost once a week and you have to reset

also some channels like AMC and E! are still not in HD.

I also wish they would allow you to get the NY and LA Feeds for NBC and CBS but those networks won't allow it

I do get the NY and LA ABC and FOX feeds in the bay area.

they should allow you to get all the regional broadcast network affiliates like I assumed you could get in the 90's?

Red Dog
06-02-09, 07:46 AM
I also wish they would allow you to get the NY and LA Feeds for NBC and CBS but those networks won't allow it

I do get the NY and LA ABC and FOX feeds in the bay area.

Consider yourself lucky that you get that.

kvrdave
06-02-09, 10:45 AM
I've been with DirecTV for 12+ years. I was happy until they forced their HR-21 DVR upon me. That's when all the trouble started. After 10+ years of nearly no calls to DirecTV for support, it's been one problem after another for the the past 13 months (since the arrival of the HR-21 box). The experience is utterly sour. Suffice to say with swapping boxes, software upgrades, freezes, glitches in audio, crashes, bad recordings, missed recordings, and on and on - I am at the end of my rope and considering switching to Comcast HD, who I already know I dislike. And the Comcast switch involves $1000 in installation fees and new TiVo boxes, and I think I'm still going to do it and be done with DirecTV, once and for all.

Has anybody else done this? How has it worked out?

Have you considered Dish Network? I don't have any real options besides Dish and DTV. I've used them both. I envy some of the programing on DTV like the NFL package, but the Dish HD-DVR is a dream. I prefer it over the tivo I had. And you can activate the external hard drive slot and add as many external hds as you like (you do have to manually switch them). So I end up with 1.5 tb of external storage that I will be going through during the summer.

innocentfreak
06-02-09, 07:21 PM
1.Rain Fade

2.Not Allowing full Tivo features
No Multi-room viewing, no Netflix, no Amazon, no Tivo To Go

3.No More Tivos (even though it is coming back see number 2)
Who knows what the new Tivo will and won't have or when it is even coming out

4.Paying upfront for leased hardware
Cable companies don't charge a fee upfront and they swap out the box for free if it breaks not so with Directv. This is why when I go to replace my Directivos and upgrade to HD I will probably go to Fios where I can pay the same price to buy a Tivo versus leasing a Directivo.

5. More expensive to own versus lease and no benefits to owning.
This is the big one. If you have older hardware it is owned. You pay a $5.99 additional receiver fee. If you have newer hardware it is leased. The additional receiver fee is waived but you pay $5.99 per receiver for a lease/rental. As a result the longer you own the equipment the more it costs you. Either leased receivers should owe the additional receiver fee and the lease fee or owned receivers should have no additional fees.

Gizmo
06-02-09, 07:31 PM
Just canceled DirectV at my moms place. They refused to lower the bill and $100 a month was complete crap. Went with ATT U-Verse - Phone, Internet, 3 HD boxes for $125 a month. They even gave us $200 back that "pays" for us to cancel DirectV. She literally only watches Network TV, E! and VH1.

DVD Guy ATL
06-02-09, 09:57 PM
Have been waiting patiently for the HD TiVo -- for about a year -- and now it is delayed again until 2010. Tired of SD but don't want to use DirecTV's HD DVR. May ditch satellite altogether.

Heat
06-03-09, 12:05 AM
Price.

That's why I dumped them about three years ago now and went to Dish Network - I've been happy with them and their DVR.

boc4ever
06-03-09, 10:37 AM
Price
DVR - having to reset after every rainstorm. Missed many recordings because of this.
Equipment charges

Doc Moonlight
06-03-09, 08:55 PM
That I can't take a sports network a la carte. I live in St Louis, but don't give a tinker's damn about the Cardinals and would love to swap out the St Louis Fox Sports for NESN so that I could follow my Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins. But to get NESN I would have to buy a whole sports package.

Red Dog
06-04-09, 07:44 AM
That I can't take a sports network a la carte. I live in St Louis, but don't give a tinker's damn about the Cardinals and would love to swap out the St Louis Fox Sports for NESN so that I could follow my Sox, Pats, Celtics and Bruins. But to get NESN I would have to buy a whole sports package.

No provider would allow you to do that. Even if you could subscribe to NESN a la carte, the pro sports games would get blacked out.

Pointyskull
06-04-09, 08:20 AM
I had Directv for about four years, and loved it. But when I finally purchased an HD TV - and needed to upgrade my service - I was told I was going to have to pay $300 upfront if I wanted an HD-DVR.

I called a few times to ask if it could be split into payments on my bill or some type of installment, and was told no.

I jumped ship to Comcast - who didn't charge me upfront for an HD-DVR - and haven't looked back once.

Bandoman
06-04-09, 09:26 AM
When I upgraded to HD I got the HD-DVR for free (by threatening to switch to Verizon FiOS).

I've been very happy with DirecTV. The HD-DVR is a little slow, but not enough to cause me any concern. I have had weather-realted picture problems twice in the 4 years I've been a subscriber.

Pointyskull
06-04-09, 09:28 AM
When I upgraded to HD I got the HD-DVR for free (by threatening to switch to Verizon FiOS).

I tried that route a few times with no luck. I'm glad it worked for someone...

BDB
06-04-09, 01:24 PM
The death of my dvr last night could be added to the list, they are shipping out a free one to me 2 day shipping.

Bandoman
06-04-09, 02:22 PM
I tried that route a few times with no luck. I'm glad it worked for someone...

You have to ask to speak with someone in Customer Retention, the normal customer service people don't have the authority to give you that kind of break. When I got on the line with Customer Retention, they basically gave me the deal they would give to a brand new subscriber.

Jeeden
06-05-09, 09:29 AM
You have to ask to speak with someone in Customer Retention, the normal customer service people don't have the authority to give you that kind of break. When I got on the line with Customer Retention, they basically gave me the deal they would give to a brand new subscriber.

Yup, you have to go all the way to the very last rep who actually has the authority to cancel your account. That person also has the authority to give you upgrades etc to keep you.

When your talking though, you want to be careful to not sound too much on a mission to cancel or they might feel they will just make things worse by offering you free stuff to stay. You need to be firm, but open to discussion....but all with the last rep from retention/cancellation.

Jadzia
06-05-09, 10:37 AM
One thing I love about DirecTV is as a long-time subscriber, they are always giving me freebies. Usually I just have to call and say "Hey I have been with you X number of years, do you have any special deals for me?" and they will give me 3 months of Showtime for free. When it runs out, I just call and get it again.

I got a postcard in the mail from them a few months back which was a thank you card for being a long-time subscriber - free Starz for 3 months.

I got laid off in March and I called and said I needed to look at ways to lower my monthly bill or I would need to cancel and find cheaper service elsewhere. They transferred me to another guy and we went through my bill line by line looking for savings. He ended up giving me free HBO for six months, which was nice.

So I have found it is good to ask and at the very least you can get some free channels from them.

Regulus
06-08-09, 10:08 PM
Just one Complaint, and it's the same Complaint I have for Cable. 100+ TV Channels, which show mostly the same Programming over and over again, stuffed to the gills with Commercials for Products I have absolutely NO interest in Purchasing!:(

JaxComet
06-09-09, 02:01 PM
At least here where I live (CT) reception goes bad during anything remotely resembling bad weather. I went back to HD cable.........

rfduncan
06-09-09, 02:28 PM
Have been waiting patiently for the HD TiVo -- for about a year -- and now it is delayed again until 2010. Tired of SD but don't want to use DirecTV's HD DVR. May ditch satellite altogether.
Well see and so I just gave up and do all my major network broadcasts OTA with my TiVoHD and an antenna. 2010? WTF? Why can't they just develop a plug in card like the cable company uses and let me hook my TiVo into the system as a DirecTV receiver?! :grumble:

Jeremy517
06-09-09, 02:57 PM
At least here where I live (CT) reception goes bad during anything remotely resembling bad weather.

You had a poor install. Installs done right should be fine in basically any kind of weather. Many possibilities: your dish wasn't aimed well enough, there were no boots on the coax connectors, the connectors were corroded, it wasn't grounded properly, trees blowing in the wind and getting in the way, etc. Everyone swears their setup is fine, but if rain fade is more than even the tiniest issue, there is probably something wrong with your setup.

dvd-4-life
06-09-09, 03:17 PM
When do they start billing for NFL Sunday Ticket? I won't be too thrilled if they begin billing 2 months before the season starts. If thats the case-I won't order till the last minute.

sinned
06-09-09, 04:16 PM
You had a poor install. Installs done right should be fine in basically any kind of weather. Many possibilities: your dish wasn't aimed well enough, there were no boots on the coax connectors, the connectors were corroded, it wasn't grounded properly, trees blowing in the wind and getting in the way, etc. Everyone swears their setup is fine, but if rain fade is more than even the tiniest issue, there is probably something wrong with your setup.

Are you sure about this? Because everyone I know who has Directv always has rain fade as a major issue. Would hate to call them up and have a technician tell me my installation is fine.

rfduncan
06-09-09, 04:29 PM
Are you sure about this? Because everyone I know who has Directv always has rain fade as a major issue. Would hate to call them up and have a technician tell me my installation is fine.
I have never had that issue ever.

Jeremy517
06-09-09, 04:51 PM

I live in the northwest and get lots of rain. I never get rain/snow fade. The only time I had a problem was when there was an inch of ice on the face of my dish, which I just had to knock off with a broom. I've also read numerous posts on DTV forums from other people in rainy areas who have no rain fade.

When it was first installed, I had issues with rain. I called the installer, and they came back and fixed it. Note though that they usually only come back for free in the first 30 (or 90?) days after an install. YMMV whether DTV will send anyone out to look at your setup after that for free, and even if they do, you might still get a lazy installer.

smashthesymbols
06-09-09, 05:24 PM
I have another item for my list. Networking an HD-DVR is a huge pain in the ass. I've been trying to for days and it won't consistently hold a connection.

Bill Needle
06-09-09, 06:09 PM
I have another item for my list. Networking an HD-DVR is a huge pain in the ass. I've been trying to for days and it won't consistently hold a connection.

Oddly enough, after having DirectTV for almost a year I just got around to doing this myself two days ago. I was actually surprised how easily it went.

smashthesymbols
06-09-09, 08:00 PM
Oddly enough, after having DirectTV for almost a year I just got around to doing this myself two days ago. I was actually surprised how easily it went.
Well consider yourself lucky then. My experience has been a disaster. The test says the IP and all are OK and says the network is connected, but always returns an error on the internet part. The menu item that's supposed to appear to stream media won't appear either. I did get a connection the other day long enough to download most of a show from onDemand, never have seen that menu though.

boc4ever
06-10-09, 07:16 AM
I get "rain fade" also, but usually only on the HD channels. Does this mean the dish is a bit off on the HD satellite. Isn't there two they have to access simultaneously?

Jeremy517
06-10-09, 10:31 AM
I get "rain fade" also, but usually only on the HD channels. Does this mean the dish is a bit off on the HD satellite. Isn't there two they have to access simultaneously?

Not simultaneously. A channel is only on one satellite. Many of the HD channels aren't on the original DTV satellite. Your dish is probably aimed fine for the main satellite, but need to adjust your tilt to hit the other satellites better.

You have to take into account three things when aiming a dish: azimuth (moving the dish left-right), elevation (up-down), and tilt (keeping it in the same spot, but tilting it). Your azimuth and elevation are probably fine, but need to adjust your tilt.

boc4ever
06-10-09, 12:43 PM
Not simultaneously. A channel is only on one satellite. Many of the HD channels aren't on the original DTV satellite. Your dish is probably aimed fine for the main satellite, but need to adjust your tilt to hit the other satellites better.

You have to take into account three things when aiming a dish: azimuth (moving the dish left-right), elevation (up-down), and tilt (keeping it in the same spot, but tilting it). Your azimuth and elevation are probably fine, but need to adjust your tilt.

Gotcha. Are the specs (angles, numbers etc.) accessible through the menu on the box? I seem to have had this problem before at my old house and I adjusted it myself with ok results. However, I was only dealing with non HD channels at the time.

Mr. Cinema
06-20-10, 05:49 PM
When do they start billing for NFL Sunday Ticket? I won't be too thrilled if they begin billing 2 months before the season starts. If thats the case-I won't order till the last minute.
I was wondering that myself today. I did notice they got rid of that stupid $100 superfan charge to get all the games in HD. They started that crap a couple years ago. I paid it in '08, but was able to get that fee waived in '09. Sounds like alot of people did since they dumped it this year.

Looking back through my statements last year, they started billing in August.

Mondo Kane
06-20-10, 07:38 PM
No support for local channels in the Digital spectrum except for the main channels.

This.

But the thing I hate the most is that (According to the program guide) a movie will start at 9:00pm.....But it really started at 8:45pm.

fujishig
06-20-10, 11:01 PM
you know it's coming back right? Should be back in 2010.

Where is my Tivo, anyway?

devilshalo
06-21-10, 12:03 AM
The inability to record/transfer from the HDD with a worthless USB port.

jpb07
06-21-10, 04:57 PM
The fact that whiners seem to think D* is an entertainment charity that is responsible for providing them with the newest technology at the lowest prices. Other than that, my only complaint would be how they have virtually no control over the people responsible (HSPs) for getting the service out to the public.

TGM
06-21-10, 05:24 PM
The fact that whiners seem to think D* is an entertainment charity that is responsible for providing them with the newest technology at the lowest prices. Other than that, my only complaint would be how they have virtually no control over the people responsible (HSPs) for getting the service out to the public.

if you don't like your job at DirecTV, you should think of a career change jpb.

CORPORATE SHILL, SHILLING.

Deftones
06-21-10, 05:47 PM
Where is my Tivo, anyway?

looks like it's going to be in the 1st half of 2011 now. :sad:

emanon
06-22-10, 01:42 PM
I think it'll always be "first half of next year"...no matter what year it is.

SubZeri
06-22-10, 04:11 PM
DTV does not offer Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Soccer Plus in HD and has no plans to do so....

RockyMtnBri
06-22-10, 04:18 PM
Inconsistency of technical aptitude of their licensed techs. Other than that, no issues.

jpb07
06-23-10, 01:51 PM
if you don't like your job at DirecTV, you should think of a career change jpb.

CORPORATE SHILL, SHILLING.

I wish! From what I understand their employees get fairly sweet programming deals....pretty much anything but PPV for free. If you want to talk to some actual employees/installers head on over to DBStalk or the Sat. guys website.

jpb07
06-23-10, 01:54 PM
DTV does not offer Fox Soccer Channel or Fox Soccer Plus in HD and has no plans to do so....

Not to be rude but who cares? The only time people pretend to care about it is during the World Cup...and only then because it's jammed down our throats by the idiots at ESPN. Popularity wise it's somewhere between Hockey and Curling. I think they offer the MLS plan and that should be good enough since you're either a soccer nut who'll pay for the package or don't give a crap about the sport.

Maxflier
06-23-10, 03:11 PM
They refuse to add HRTV to their channel lineup. Both cable and Dish offer both horse racing networks but Directv refuses. That's the main reason (along with constant equipment failures) they lost me as a customer.

My second biggest complaint would be the D* moniker people use, I still don't get how that stands for Directv...

rfduncan
06-23-10, 03:11 PM
Where is my Tivo, anyway?looks like it's going to be in the 1st half of 2011 now. :sad:
Really? FRICK! They better get their shit together. I refuse to get HD serivce until they have a new, supported TiVo HD receiver.

jpb07
06-23-10, 03:20 PM
You do realize that they are going to have a special TiVo charge that must be kept for the life of the receiver (ala the iPhone charge on AT&T) and the lease fee is rumored to be $300+?

D* has the best of the Comcast/Dish HD-DVRs so I don't really see a need to deviate to a "brand name" DVR that I don't really need.

rfduncan
06-24-10, 07:36 AM
You do realize that they are going to have a special TiVo charge that must be kept for the life of the receiver (ala the iPhone charge on AT&T) and the lease fee is rumored to be $300+?

D* has the best of the Comcast/Dish HD-DVRs so I don't really see a need to deviate to a "brand name" DVR that I don't really need.
If that ends up being the case (this is the first I've ever heard of that), it would certainly be the end of D* for me. (And as for your iPhone comment, I have never been charged extra by AT&T for using one - I just double-checked my last statement.) Who exactly would be willing to pay $300 on top of the cost of the unit? That just sounds unlikely.

I understand your misgivings about the brand name, but I have played with several "knock-offs" (including D*'s HD versions - which even the "best of the rest" doesn't say much) and none are remotely comparable to the total features on TiVo. Say what you want, but I refuse to accept anything else.

Red Dog
06-24-10, 07:48 AM
They refuse to add HRTV to their channel lineup..

That is annoying, but it only matters to me a couple days out of the year. Plus that's really horse-racing's fuck up. A dying sport and they split the tracks across 2 networks - beyond stupid.

On another note, looks like they rolled out a bunch of HD additions on the premium channels. Now if they can only get AMC-HD going before Mad Men premieres.

chuckd21
06-24-10, 08:30 AM
I wish DTV had HBO or Cinemax On Demand.

wendersfan
06-24-10, 08:45 AM
This.Not to be rude but who cares?I do, for one. And many of my friends do as well.

jpb07
06-24-10, 11:18 AM
This.I do, for one. And many of my friends do as well.

Take a look at the channel guides. It looks like it was recently added to the Sports tier.

If that ends up being the case (this is the first I've ever heard of that), it would certainly be the end of D* for me. (And as for your iPhone comment, I have never been charged extra by AT&T for using one - I just double-checked my last statement.) Who exactly would be willing to pay $300 on top of the cost of the unit?

Actually yes you do. Notice that iPhone data plan that can not be dropped? It's a good $10-15 more than their standard plans and they don't offer a family iPhone plan like they do for regular data.

The HR20s were $300 when they first hit the market. A lot of people were willing to pay it. Add in the brand loyalty to TiVo and we'll be lucky if it's "only" $300.

Deftones
06-24-10, 11:39 AM

where are you hearing this? i'm sure it'll be no different than paying the DVR fee that many of us already are paying.

Deftones
06-24-10, 11:40 AM
On another note, looks like they rolled out a bunch of HD additions on the premium channels. Now if they can only get AMC-HD going before Mad Men premieres.

FWIW, it's in "test stream" right now, so i'm thinking we'll see it here probably in the week or two leading up to July 25th.

Jeeden
06-24-10, 12:59 PM
My complaint: They haven't crushed all the overpriced, lying, cheating, stealing, and otherwise no good cable companies of the world in a timely enough fashion...

...Hopefully my complaint will be addressed in the next few years.

TGM
06-24-10, 01:34 PM
My complaint: They haven't crushed all the overpriced, lying, cheating, stealing, and otherwise no good cable companies of the world in a timely enough fashion...

...Hopefully my complaint will be addressed in the next few years.

competition is always a good thing, so I can't agree with this.

Larry C.
06-24-10, 01:46 PM
No AMCHD for Breaking Bad.... Bitch.

SubZeri
06-25-10, 11:23 AM
Not to be rude but who cares? The only time people pretend to care about it is during the World Cup...and only then because it's jammed down our throats by the idiots at ESPN. Popularity wise it's somewhere between Hockey and Curling. I think they offer the MLS plan and that should be good enough since you're either a soccer nut who'll pay for the package or don't give a crap about the sport.

Apparently the majority of people walking the earth care. In case you weren't aware (obviously), FSC/FS+ broadcasts coverage of the Premier League which also happens to be the most watched sports league on the planet. ESPN isn't jamming anything down anyone's throat, they are simply televising the worlds most important and in-demand sporting event, and doing a quite excellent job in my opinion. And for the record I am a certified soccer nut. I'll take soccer and you can have American Idol, Lady Gaga, the NFL, and rude threadcrapping.

fujishig
06-25-10, 02:56 PM
Apparently the majority of people walking the earth care. In case you weren't aware (obviously), FSC/FS+ broadcasts coverage of the Premier League which also happens to be the most watched sports league on the planet. ESPN isn't jamming anything down anyone's throat, they are simply televising the worlds most important and in-demand sporting event, and doing a quite excellent job in my opinion. And for the record I am a certified soccer nut. I'll take soccer and you can have American Idol, Lady Gaga, the NFL, and rude threadcrapping.

Are we talking about the channels that DirecTV shows in the US, or worldwide?

Chaza
06-25-10, 11:44 PM

And Mad Men! I worked at two HSP's a few years ago, and that was enough for me learn about how Directv does business. If it weren't for the football package I'd never even consider Directv, and since I'm a fan of local teams and don't play fantasy, and work almost every sunday it doesn't really matter. I've had cable for the last 11 months and have been quite happy with phone/cable/internet for $100 a month, though this will go up in a little while.

wz42
06-26-10, 01:49 AM
You can't get it in Canada. Ditto for Dish.

It's fucked that free OTA from Buffalo/Toronto combined is about as good as paying for Canadian cable.

jpb07
06-27-10, 01:24 AM
I've had cable for the last 11 months and have been quite happy with phone/cable/internet for $100 a month, though this will go up in a little while.

I didn't mind cable when we tried it a few years ago. Just couldn't get past the crappy DVR storage space, software, or the fact that it would chop the video down to 4:3 when I was trying to move a game to DVD.

As has already been addressed, you are in a very small minority. To quote a sports radio host in Chicago tonight "MLS is a minor league." If that's the best support this country can provide, then it's not going to be a high enough priority for those making channel choices. ESPN is most certainly jamming the World Cup down our throats...mainly because they have the rights. Outside of these few weeks every 4 years soccer gets half the coverage of our #4 (and much much much more entertaining) sport...hockey. Since you brought it up, tell you what...let them play this crap tournament in September and tell me which football this country in general doesn't give two craps about. Oh and while you're at it, tell me which sporting event is the highest rated game on this planet EVERY YEAR.

where are you hearing this? i'm sure it'll be no different than paying the DVR fee that many of us already are paying.

It's been discussed many times over at DBS and Sat. Guys since the initial announcement was made.

Red Dog
06-27-10, 01:46 PM
As has already been addressed, you are in a very small minority. To quote a sports radio host in Chicago tonight "MLS is a minor league." If that's the best support this country can provide, then it's not going to be a high enough priority for those making channel choices. ESPN is most certainly jamming the World Cup down our throats...mainly because they have the rights. Outside of these few weeks every 4 years soccer gets half the coverage of our #4 (and much much much more entertaining) sport...hockey. Since you brought it up, tell you what...let them play this crap tournament in September and tell me which football this country in general doesn't give two craps about. Oh and while you're at it, tell me which sporting event is the highest rated game on this planet EVERY YEAR.

Sheesh. Did a soccer player kick your dog? :lol:

It's a thread on individual preference. To each their own I say.

I just want AMC-HD to watch Mad Men. There's probably more soccer fans in the US than Mad Men fans.

Deftones
06-27-10, 02:38 PM
It's been discussed many times over at DBS and Sat. Guys since the initial announcement was made.

well i can discuss that unicorns are real, but that doesn't make it so. until i see an official announcement, I will assume Tivo won't cost any extra on DirecTV.

jpb07
06-27-10, 08:37 PM
Did I mention that many of the people over there are beta testers for D* or that one of the posters is a manager in the billing department there? ;)

Bacon
06-28-10, 07:17 AM
DVR fee
can't edit the DVR playlist , ie delete commercials while keeping the rest of the recording

TGM
06-28-10, 07:43 AM
can't edit the DVR playlist , ie delete commercials while keeping the rest of the recording

does ANYONE offer that ability?

raven56706
06-28-10, 08:09 AM
too expensive.... going to fios for tv+internet+phone comes out to 124.99.... directv is 114.99 with hd dvr and fee.

Bill Needle
06-28-10, 09:42 AM
Oh and while you're at it, tell me which sporting event is the highest rated game on this planet EVERY YEAR.

The world's most watched annually held sporting event is the UEFA Champions League Final (soccer).

Michael T Hudson
06-28-10, 10:27 AM

This is my only gripe as well.

Jeremy517
06-28-10, 10:37 AM
too expensive.... going to fios for tv+internet+phone comes out to 124.99.... directv is 114.99 with hd dvr and fee.

If you're paying $115 for Directv, you're getting far more than you will with your Fios package. Total Choice, or even Choice Ultimate, plus HD DVR is nowhere near $115.

WallyOPD
06-28-10, 11:08 AM
The world's most watched annually held sporting event is the UEFA Champions League Final (soccer).

From what I can tell that happened once, it's usually the Super Bowl on top. We'll have to wait a few years to see if that's a trend.

rfduncan
06-29-10, 07:30 AM
I just want AMC-HD to watch Mad Men. There's probably more soccer fans in the US than Mad Men fans.
I think the point is that there is more to watch on AMC than just Mad Men whereas that channel only has soccer. Without question, D* would be carrying it (with a huge premium no doubt) if they thought there was enough of a customer base willing to pay for it.

raven56706
06-29-10, 09:00 AM
If you're paying $115 for Directv, you're getting far more than you will with your Fios package. Total Choice, or even Choice Ultimate, plus HD DVR is nowhere near $115.

heck yeah.... i better for 115 a month.... problem is the highest verizon fios tv plan plus a high end internet and phone combined almost comes out to the same price of just the directv bill... plus verizon gives the chance for red zone (i will miss sunday ticket but its too much money)

aktick
07-21-10, 11:03 AM
Well, no AMC-HD today, so guess that won't be here in time for Mad Men. :hairpull:

BDB
07-21-10, 11:20 AM
I'm not that surprised sadly. .mkv files here I come.

Red Dog
07-21-10, 11:31 AM
Well, no AMC-HD today, so guess that won't be here in time for Mad Men. :hairpull:

Assholes.

Btwn this, the availability of the NFL red zone channel elsewhere, the new March Madness setup (all games available on all platforms), lame VOD, and internet options I'm really starting to think about FIOS.

jpb07
07-21-10, 05:06 PM
AMCHD is a major issue and once the Sunday Ticket deal goes live I'm going to try to parley it into D* giving me the new customer package.

My biggest complaint right now is the people around the net whining about not getting HR-24s. Someone on another board actually whined to the BBB. Little wonder D* has frozen out discounts to even those of us who are good customers.

TGM
07-21-10, 05:48 PM

did they add any others today?

aktick
07-21-10, 07:37 PM
did they add any others today?

Nope.

Drav3n
07-22-10, 08:56 PM
I've only been a customer since February and everyday I continue to regret signing with them. My only reason for going w/ them over Dish and the local cable company was because they were the only carrier to offer the YES Network... unfortunately, having every game blacked out in my area made me cancel that package quickly. On top of that, every single month I have to call in to get my bill corrected because of adjustments that weren't added that should've been or charges that don't belong on my bill.

Now they offer HD free for life, and Im told I dont qualify for that. However, I'm told I qualify for HD free for 2 years, so I accept it. They transfer me to someone else to "approve" this and now Im denied. I cant stand their customer service. Every time I call, when I get "put on hold" I actually get hung up on. I am really considering paying whatever the cancellation fee is and go either w/ the local cable company or Dish.

DJariya
07-22-10, 10:14 PM
I've only been a customer since February and everyday I continue to regret signing with them. My only reason for going w/ them over Dish and the local cable company was because they were the only carrier to offer the YES Network... unfortunately, having every game blacked out in my area made me cancel that package quickly. On top of that, every single month I have to call in to get my bill corrected because of adjustments that weren't added that should've been or charges that don't belong on my bill.

Now they offer HD free for life, and Im told I dont qualify for that. However, I'm told I qualify for HD free for 2 years, so I accept it. They transfer me to someone else to "approve" this and now Im denied. I cant stand their customer service. Every time I call, when I get "put on hold" I actually get hung up on. I am really considering paying whatever the cancellation fee is and go either w/ the local cable company or Dish.

If you don't live in New York or New Jersey, your not going to be able to watch Yankees games on Yes. I believe you need to subscribe to MLB Extra Innings to get the games.

I've been with them 7 years and have zero issues with their customer service. I actually got 2 free HD DVR's from them recently and they also gave me 1 year with No DVR monthly service fee. They have been more than good to me as a customer. BTW, I used to have Dish and I didn't enjoy them. I switched to Directv after 2 years with Dish.

Drav3n
07-22-10, 10:40 PM
If you don't live in New York or New Jersey, your not going to be able to watch Yankees games on Yes.

Not true at all. I live in PA, and have friends where I use to live in the Poconos that have Directv and can watch the games through YES. And I have a friend who lives closer towards the Pocono Raceway (which is about 45 minutes farther away from me), and they can watch the games on YES. But because I'm JUST over the boundary line, I'm not considered to be part of that "local area" (when I was told I was, by five different reps before I signed up with them), and instead am considered to be part of the "Philly area." Yet, in distance, I'm closer to NJ/NY than I am to Philly. And I get stuck w/ Philly local channels and Atlantic City local channels (Which is about 2-3 hours away from me?), which means I cant even watch "local news" because it doesnt apply to the area I live in.

Mondo Kane
07-24-10, 08:02 PM
lol The Losers is on PPV and apparently the description for it is copied from this movie:
http://cover7.cduniverse.com/MuzeVideoArt/Large/10/252810.jpg

Jadzia
07-24-10, 11:49 PM
I actually got 2 free HD DVR's from them recently and they also gave me 1 year with No DVR monthly service fee.

How did you swing that? I have been with them 8 years and they just made me pay to upgrade 2 of my DVRs to HD. They only gave me a discount on them, but acted like they were doing ME a favor at that!