Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Infinity RS-5 Main Speakers....Anyone?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Infinity RS-5 Main Speakers....Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-00, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi--Im interested in the Infinity RS-5's. Does anyone have any sort of info on them, or a personal review? I have heard some good things about them, and I hear $400 for the pair is a pretty good price. So, anyone out there that can help, I would be greatly appreciative.
Old 05-15-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I almost bought some of those, but decided to get Polk RT800s instead because I got a great deal on them ($400/pair). But the RT5's are real nice. Sound good, especially for home theater.
Old 05-15-00, 01:24 AM
Cool New Member

I've owned these speakers for about 6 months and love them. I recently listened to the new line that replaced them and I'm glad I bought the rs-5s. Don't just take my word for it check out more reviews at www.audioreview.com
Old 05-15-00, 05:27 PM
Suspended

I notice that Infinity does not get mentioned much in most of these posts. If the price is right, I believe that these speakers are outstanding. My system has the following. Overture 2's as mains, RS-4's as rear effects, CC2 as the center and an HPS-250 sub. I have compared this system to many of my friends systems built around B&W and Klipsh and it holds its own for a fraction of the cost. (thats them talking not me) Now, I actually had RS5's as my mains, but I replaced them with Overture 2's. The reason is that while the RS5's sounded great for HT, they lacked somewhat for music. When I upgraded to the Overtures, this went away. Also, I picked up a pair of Overture 2's from Ubid.com for 307$ each which isn't much more than the price you are mentioning for the RS5's. The Overture 2's are more closly compared to RS 10's, but much finer finish work.
Old 05-15-00, 05:54 PM

I bought them 3 months ago. These speakers are very in both music and HT. Highs and Mids are incredible. Lows are good(for HT you need sub anyway). They are very efficient(92-93 db). Get them if price is right, you are not going to be dissapointed.
For center I reccomend CC-3(it's perfect match), for surrounds get RS-3.

Good luck.

Old 05-15-00, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i've had these for a while - they're great! you won't be disappointed. you will definitely need a sub with them. you can probably get a deal on them because I believe they're going to be discontinued shortly. I also use the CC3 with them - and a pair or RS2's in the back. They all really sound wonderful. Just go to a store and listen and you'll be convinced.
Old 05-17-00, 04:29 PM

I would have to also recommend the RS-5s. I have had a piar of them for my mains for the last year in an all Infinity set up and they sound great. I just recently upgraded by surround and bought another pair of RS-5 for the rear. The sound is now incredible. You will not be disappointed with them.

The only thing is that they are now discontinued and getting harder to find. If you find them at a price in your budget, get them quick. The dealers in my town can't get any more. www.shop4.com listed a pair for $329.00 but then had to cancel my order saying they were no longer available from the company. I ended gettting a new pair for $470.

Hope thie helps!

------------------
Regards,

Brian W. Ralston
[email protected]