Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Pixar's UP at the Top: Box Office 5/29-5/31

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Deadline Hollywood:

"'UP', 'UP', AND AWAY! 3D Pixar Soars For $19M Friday, $60M Weekend; #2 'Night At The Museum' Sequel $7.5M/$25M; #3 'Drag Me To Hell' $7M/$17M; 'Star Trek' To Become 1st Film Of 2009 Past $200M"

Terminator earned $5.3 mil (-64%) on Friday, Star Trek made $3.9m, Angels and Demons $3.8m.

I think Up will do more than $60 million.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 05-30-09 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-30-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Pixar's UP at the Top: Box Office 5/29-5/31

Not at all surprised to see Terminator sinking like a stone. It'll be a miracle if it crosses $130 million.
Old 05-30-09, 11:31 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations. Alas it is not meant to be but oh well I have no trouble just ignoring them anyways and pretending they dont even exist. Kinda surprised to see Night at the Museam drop so much this weekend. ANd Terminator 4? Ouch! It's gonna have to kick major ass overseas before they make T5. Warner isn't doing all that well with their major gambles this year. Watchmen and T4 both pretty much failed it seems. At least they got Harry potter as a sure thing.
Old 05-30-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations.
Yeah, it's a horrible thing when kids and families have movies to see that are aimed at them and appropriate for that audience.

Kids shouldn't get to watch movies.

Last edited by B5Erik; 05-30-09 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-30-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A helluva lot more people enjoyed Up more than Terminator and Night at the Museum combined, so... yeah.
Old 05-30-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations. Alas it is not meant to be but oh well I have no trouble just ignoring them anyways and pretending they dont even exist.
Yeah, there's nothing more sad than a well made movie, loved by both audiences and critics, doing well at the box-office.
Old 05-30-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations. Alas it is not meant to be but oh well I have no trouble just ignoring them anyways and pretending they dont even exist.
This makes no sense at all.
Old 05-30-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations. Alas it is not meant to be but oh well I have no trouble just ignoring them anyways and pretending they dont even exist. Kinda surprised to see Night at the Museam drop so much this weekend. ANd Terminator 4? Ouch! It's gonna have to kick major ass overseas before they make T5. Warner isn't doing all that well with their major gambles this year. Watchmen and T4 both pretty much failed it seems. At least they got Harry potter as a sure thing.
why do you hate life?
Old 05-30-09, 12:07 PM

Very sad to see Up do well. Every time A Pixar film comes out I hope and hope it will perform way below expectations.

What's wrong with Pixar movies? What do you have against Pixar?
Old 05-30-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
why do you hate life?
He hates "Drag Me To Hell" too, and he hasn't even seen it.
Old 05-30-09, 12:13 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

So, are you the kind of person who likes to search for and point out flaws in popular things? Would you try to make Superman look like a bad guy?
Old 05-30-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i suppose you like your kids movies to be R rated and 2+ hours long as well?
Old 05-30-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i suppose you like your kids movies to be R rated and 2+ hours long as well?
Robocop isn't a kids movie? Awwww shit.
Old 05-30-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw both Drag Me to Hell and UP last night contributing to both numbers. I thought they were both great! That is all.
Old 05-30-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is just sad. It's such a shame when a studio consistently makes large amounts of money because they make solid quality movies that all ages pack theaters to see.
Old 05-30-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Do you need a hug or car insurance?
Old 05-30-09, 12:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
That is just sad. It's such a shame when a studio consistently makes large amounts of money because they make solid quality movies that all ages pack theaters to see.
Well you can think what you want and I can think what I want. I for example think its pretty pathetic if someone goes to see this and they are either:
1. Over the age of 5
2. Not taking children under the age of 5 to see this

I know If I want to the theater and I saw men and women without children buying tickets for this I would laugh my ass off and give them funny looks. These are childrens movies. More like toddlers movies. I just dont understand it. Thats great if you like it I just cant understand it. When I was 5 or 6 or 7 I watched movies like T2 and Last Action Hero and "Kids" movies like Gremlins and Ghostbusters. Even at that age I looked down on "movies" like any Disney shit. Maybe I just dont like cartoons that arent funny or are well written.
Old 05-30-09, 12:52 PM

I am 26, and went to see "Up" in 3D with 3 other friends (all in their 20's)... we all loved it. Such a great film- so much laughter and emotion. Could not stop smiling the entire time. I really don't think there is anything pathetic about it.

Going to see "Drag Me to Hell" tonight. Looked kind of lame from trailers, but these glowing reviews are hard to deny.
Old 05-30-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you can think what you want and I can think what I want. I for example think its pretty pathetic if someone goes to see this and they are either:
1. Over the age of 5

I know If I want to the theater and I saw men and women without children buying tickets for this I would laugh my ass off and give them funny looks. These are childrens movies. More like toddlers movies. I just dont understand it. Thats great if you like it I just cant understand it. When I was 5 or 6 or 7 I watched movies like T2 and Last Action Hero and "Kids" movies like Gremlins and Ghostbusters. Even at that age I looked down on "movies" like any Disney shit. Maybe I just dont like cartoons that arent funny or are well written.
And the hole just keeps getting deeper.
Old 05-30-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
Going to see "Drag Me to Hell" tonight. Looked kind of lame from trailers, but these glowing reviews are hard to deny.
Yeah Andy, do not let that trailer fool you. It was terrible. And the film is great!
Old 05-30-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
And the hole just keeps getting deeper.

I wonder how it feels to be broken inside
Old 05-30-09, 12:58 PM

Please don't feed the trolls.
Old 05-30-09, 01:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Yeah, it's a horrible thing when kids and families have movies to see that are aimed at them and appropriate for that audience.

Kids shouldn't get to watch movies.
Old 05-30-09, 01:11 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Over the age of 5

It's ok, Chris. A lot of people confuse Pixar with Dreamworks. It's no biggie.

I got you this to make you feel better:

Spoiler:

I hope it's not too big.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-30-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 05-30-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

1. Over the age of 5

Silliness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.