Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

EGM to Return

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
EGM to Return

http://www.egmnow.com/press1.html

BEVERLY HILLS, CA, May 29, 2009 — Steve Harris, founder of “Electronic Gaming Monthly” magazine, announced today that he has entered into an agreement with Ziff Davis Media to re-acquire certain assets, including trademarks and publishing rights, with plans to re-launch EGM in the second half of 2009.

“The re-launch of Electronic Gaming Monthly represents a welcome opportunity to continue delivering quality content to gaming enthusiasts,” said Harris. “I feel honored to once again be associated with this respected magazine. The talented writers and designers who built upon EGM’s original vision have left behind a publication that is uniquely positioned to be successful.”
Glad to see it return. I know it gets bashed a lot, but I've always liked having print magazines and as said in the EGM closing thread, it certainly lets me read about games that I would otherwise have no interest in. It will be interesting to see if the format of features and reviews comes back the same.
Old 05-29-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: EGM to Return

Cool. Glad to see it coming back.
Old 05-29-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The passion he seems to have for it is pretty refreshing, but I don't see why anyone would want to launch (or re-launch, as it were) a print magazine in this day and age. It just seems like such a D.O.A. idea. What exactly does Steve think he will be able to offer that any online gaming site doesn't? Or is he just banking on there being enough people who like to have something tangible to put in their hands and read while taking a shit that he can sell advertising?
Old 05-29-09, 10:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Finally, I will once again be able to read reviews of games that came out months ago!
Old 05-29-09, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does this mean my subscription will resume?
Old 05-29-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Kicker_of_Elves
Does this mean my subscription will resume?
I still had 10 months left on mine and I paid 20 bucks for it. I only get the freebie deal once and that was like two years ago.
Old 05-29-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sorry, but Edge over EGM for me. Too much frat boy style writing. It's funny because I did like quite a bit of what 1UP did and some of the people who worked there. I guess, in the end they were still catering to slightly different audiences.
Old 05-29-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good to see that, though the magazine has went down hill in recent years. I think Game informer is the best gaming magazine right now.
Old 05-29-09, 11:45 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I need more toilet material so awesome.
Old 05-30-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by maingon
Good to see that, though the magazine has went down hill in recent years. I think Game informer is the best gaming magazine right now.
isn't it the only game magazine still around right now?
Old 05-30-09, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,178 Likes on 4,207 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
OPTM, OXM and don't forget Gamepro (though I know you really want to!).

EGM owes me like sixteen years. They better keep all my accrued subscription credit -- I plan to bequeath it to my heirs.
Old 05-30-09, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Deftones
Edge!!!!
Old 05-30-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

did that last issue ever come out online?
Old 05-30-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I already told some others my theory...this was a plan to dump all the free subscriptions they had given out and start back from scratch. I know they mainly make money on their ads but it's kinda hard to make extra money on the mag itself when everyone already has a free sub to it.

Mine was good thru 2013. I truly doubt they are going to come back and honor that. Can't really blame them though. I always liked the magazine and look forward to its return.
Old 05-30-09, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Great news! I love EGM and was very very sad to see it go.
Old 05-30-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glad to hear it I was a subscriber to EGM since issue 75 and even though the quality suffered in the final year or so, I still enjoyed reading it.
Old 06-01-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Did anyone get a replacement sub? I didn't get one, but I thought that was par for the course when a mag gets shut down?
Old 06-01-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't, but I just assumed it was because I've been on free subscription
Old 06-01-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Bandit03
Glad to hear it I was a subscriber to EGM since issue 75 and even though the quality suffered in the final year or so, I still enjoyed reading it.
I am sad to see print magazines as a whole start to die out. In the good ole days, we had thick copies of PC gamer, Computer Gamer, and Computer Gaming World. Interesting that the UK has a ton of gaming mags though.

I don't understand why demand as dropped off. Looks like people would enjoy reading about their hobby away from the computer. I much rather read EGM than Fish and Stream at the barber shop!!
Old 06-01-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I am sad to see print magazines as a whole start to die out. In the good ole days, we had thick copies of PC gamer, Computer Gamer, and Computer Gaming World. Interesting that the UK has a ton of gaming mags though.

I don't understand why demand as dropped off. Looks like people would enjoy reading about their hobby away from the computer. I much rather read EGM than Fish and Stream at the barber shop!!
I think mostly it's because of lead times... you can find the latest news, for free, online. No way print mags can beat that.

I wish that Next Gen had worked out, which would have proven that videogame magazines could be profitable with more in depth articles about the game industry. I mean, my favorite articles in EGM are stuff like looking back at games with the developers. But then, a lot of pages are dedicated to previews with one or two screenshots and a little blurb of text.

The old chunky magazines usually came out in the holiday season, and most of the pages were ads (but hey, I actually like videogame ads). Also, a significant portion was dedicated to "cheat codes" and walkthroughs, which are pretty unnecessary in gaming mags these days (though I wish they included stuff like maps for games). Now we have these single platform magazines that don't even have enough content to fill out the magazine... I don't care about mobile gaming, but somehow it's inserted into every mag I get.

That being said, it was stated before that EGM being put out of business was not because it wasn't profitable, it just wasn't in the gameplan for the people that bought them out.
Old 06-01-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
iPhone.
Old 06-01-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wondered why I never even received a piece of mail about EGM being canceled. Very happy to hear it's coming back. Hopefully things work out.
Old 06-02-09, 01:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

YES!!!

Will definitely re-sub to it. The mag went to shit after he and Semrad left.
Old 06-02-09, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope the mags are thicker than the average to-go menu, though. The last year + was pretty sad.
Old 06-02-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think mostly it's because of lead times... you can find the latest news, for free, online. No way print mags can beat that.

I wish that Next Gen had worked out, which would have proven that videogame magazines could be profitable with more in depth articles about the game industry. I mean, my favorite articles in EGM are stuff like looking back at games with the developers. But then, a lot of pages are dedicated to previews with one or two screenshots and a little blurb of text.

The old chunky magazines usually came out in the holiday season, and most of the pages were ads (but hey, I actually like videogame ads). Also, a significant portion was dedicated to "cheat codes" and walkthroughs, which are pretty unnecessary in gaming mags these days (though I wish they included stuff like maps for games). Now we have these single platform magazines that don't even have enough content to fill out the magazine... I don't care about mobile gaming, but somehow it's inserted into every mag I get.

That being said, it was stated before that EGM being put out of business was not because it wasn't profitable, it just wasn't in the gameplan for the people that bought them out.
Game Informer does a good job of lead times. They broke the Bioshock 2 story before anyone else, and they published reviews for Infamous and Red Faction weeks ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.