Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

How good are Sanyo DVD players?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

How good are Sanyo DVD players?

Old 05-16-00, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My friend just got one, and I was wondering how their quality is? His looks pretty god to me, but he's only had it for about a day. Any problems with them?
Old 05-17-00, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have never used one, but in my opinion, I would never buy one. Any company that has a title that obviously resembles a better, more popular brand name, has to be desperate for something. Its like buying a Pansysonic, or Megabox. (I know those aren't real but it seems like just what "Sanyo" did). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------
"Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday, and all is well."
Old 05-17-00, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your best source for reviews of products is at http://www.audioreview.com

As for Sanyo, no they are not some "wannabe" or second rate manufacturer. They are in fact one of the largest Asian electronics makers, in the league of the Kenwood Corp., Pioneer, and Tomsons of the world. Much like a Toshiba or a Kenwood, Sanyo makes everything, with reasonable, even quality across the board. The biggest rule of thumb is that you get what you pay for. If Sanyo player X is $139 while the Pioneer 525 is $260, it is a reasonable bet that the Sanyo has some corners cut.

------------------
A free Tibet - Keep Hope alive...
Old 05-17-00, 06:11 AM
EAV

quote:<HR>Originally posted by caiman:
I have never used one, but in my opinion, I would never buy one. Any company that has a title that obviously resembles a better, more popular brand name, has to be desperate for something. Its like buying a Pansysonic, or Megabox. (I know those aren't real but it seems like just what "Sanyo" did). Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

<HR>

caiman, your assumption that Sanyo is a take on Sony is a complete falacy. Most Japanese company names were created back when US companies dominated the markets and Japanese manufacturers were looking for marketable names. For instance...most people think SONY is a Japanese word, but in reality it was a name that was created by the company that they felt would most appeal to the US market. Another fine example comes from Matsushita Corp. They market under many names such as Panasonic, Quasar or Technics. Your assumption that Sanyo is inferior simply because they followed similar marketing research is unfounded.

Christ, all companies try to come up with new names. Look at ESSO OIL. They even had a contest to come up with a new name. What is it you ask...EXXON.

Names work...it does not signify the quality of the product. The fact is that no single company does everything well. Some make great TVs, some make great VCRs, others make great DVD players.

As for the assumption that Sanyo sucks, take note that their CRT TVs have the best repair record of any brand currently on the market . Now I can't comment on their DVD player, but given their history with TVs, I for one won't write them off just yet...

Sanyo may not be the "high end" that is sold in the US, but they are a quality manufacturer of many products.

[This message has been edited by EAV (edited May 17, 2000).]
Old 05-17-00, 07:18 AM

I have several Sanyo audio products which were EXCELLANT - better sound than more expensive products from other manufactureres. How this translates to DVD's I cannot say.
Old 05-17-00, 11:20 AM

buy a jvc 701bk and don't worry about anything else

------------------
Nihilo Sanctum Estne
Is Nothing Sacred