Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

Do you open your DVDs right when you buy them?

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might be a dumb question, and don't know if it belongs in this forum, but whenever I order a DVD I just put it on a shelf and don't take it out of the shrink wrap until I am ready to watch it. I have never had a problem until the last two dvds I ordered from amazon each had a disc that was damaged and unplayable, but thankfully I watched them pretty much after getting them so was able to exchange them easily.

So knowing a lot of people stock up on many dvds whenever a great sale comes along that they wont' view for months, what do you do? Do you open each one and check the disks for scratches or just leave them be until it is time to watch? I just ordered a big shipment I have not opened yet, and really the only DVDs I'm worried about that I have not opened yet is Angel the complete series which I ordered before Xmas.
Old 05-27-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Do you open your DVDs right when you buy them?

I open them before I shelve them, regardless of when I get around to watching them. Gives me a chance to inspect the contents and disc hubs, and also to get the security stickers off so they don't apply any residue over time.

As for the Angel series box set, give it a crack. It's a great design inside, and you can make sure your disc are properly secured.
Old 05-27-09, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
I open them before I shelve them, regardless of when I get around to watching them. Gives me a chance to inspect the contents and disc hubs, and also to get the security stickers off so they don't apply any residue over time.

As for the Angel series box set, give it a crack. It's a great design inside, and you can make sure your disc are properly secured.
Its too late for Angel, I ordered it before Xmas so even if I find somethin wrong with it I don't think amazon will exchange it.

I just ordered a big shipment from WBshop and I guess I need to open and check those.
Old 05-27-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

I have started opening the big box sets when I get them, especially if there's reports of disks being scratched or duplicate/missing disks. Regular releases, no; I open them when I watch them. Which means that I have dozens of wrapped DVDs on my shelves.
Old 05-27-09, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I open everything as soon as I receive it.
Old 05-27-09, 09:45 PM

I don't, but I know I should. It's going to bite me one day.
Old 05-27-09, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I open each item immediately upon receipt.
Old 05-27-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I always open them right away and I also watch them within a day or so after getting them.
Old 05-27-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I always do, because I don't want to open up a DVD months later and find it cracked or missing, and be SOL because the return policy is over.
Old 05-27-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I figured I was in the minority. I don't worry about opening them up right away. I've never had a disc be scratched up or damaged enough to where it wouldn't play. Did have a duplicate disc in a TV season once, but was able to get a replacement sent out by the manufacturer.

A few good things about leaving them sealed. It makes it easy to quickly scan my collection for unwatched titles. I've also had instances where I've blind bought titles, heard/read a negative review and just decided to sell or give away a particular DVD, so the sealed copy is nice.
Old 05-28-09, 02:18 AM

Just opened all the DVDs I had shrink wrapped, Angel had two discs with scratches on it, on I don't think will affect the disc, the other not sure.

Few other questions, the donut hole of the discs, will it affect play if that has scratches on it?

Also are the discs on Oz season 4 supposed to be blank? Found a few scratches on discs I can still return.
Old 05-28-09, 07:16 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Never open anything until I watch it.

Ten thousand plus DVDS, some scratched to heck, but they always play fine.
Old 05-28-09, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Same here. While my collection pales in comparison to Trevor's ( I own around 1200 or so), I have never had a bad disc yet.
Old 05-28-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor

Ten thousand plus DVDS, some scratched to heck, but they always play fine.
Wow that money sure could've bought lots of hookers!
Old 05-29-09, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always open used DVDs right away (usually acquired from Secondspin or the local Zia Records).

I mainly just open new DVDs right away if I can hear that they're floaters.
Old 05-29-09, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I usually open mine within a week or two just to inspect them.
Some issues do occur but it's not any scuff marks that are the real problem, it's instances where the DVD authoring was defective such as Have Gun Will Travel, or the Universal Studios bad flip discs in The Rockford Files, and some premature "disc rot", etc. Even with scratches, if it plays fine I'll generally keep it unless it was bought at a B+M, in which case it'll usually go back.
Old 05-29-09, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Hahaha.

Nope.
Old 05-29-09, 04:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always open/inspect them as soon as I get them. As others have mentioned it just easier that way wrt damage/problems/return policies. As far as being able to tell what I haven't watched yet, I just keep those in a different place than the rest of my collection.
Old 05-29-09, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always open everything when I buy it and inspect the contents, I usually spin the disc and just make sure it plays as well.
Old 05-29-09, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually open everything as soon as I get it home. But lately, since being a Platinum RZ member at Best Buy gives me 45 days to return things, I hang onto movies in case I find them cheaper within that time.
Old 05-29-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I open mine as soon as I get home. I like to "clean them up" a bit, removing stickers, security tags, etc. Plus, I like to make sure I got what I paid for and nothing is damaged. It's not like I plan on returning them, so I might as well get them ready for viewing.
Old 05-29-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have always opened them as soon as I buy them, but very recently I've started putting them away sealed, just in case, I guess. I will continue to open the Criterion's and Masters of Cinema discs because I often read the booklets more than I watch the movie.
Old 05-29-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything used gets open and inspected immediately, if they're wrapped to begin with that is. New DVDs only get opened if they're a floater or if it's a release that's notorious for having issues. Everything else is left sealed.

The main reason I keep things sealed is so they have a better sale/trade value if I decide to get rid of them. That's been especially helpful as I upgrade movies to HD or BD. I've also been known to trade titles out of my collection for something I want more, then reacquire them down the road.
Old 05-29-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I don't open them until I watch them. Hoepfully with the television season winding down, I can get through some of the unwatched pile. Some stuff has been in there for years. Nothing goes on my shelves until I watch it at least once. Stuff stays sealed because it may sit in the unwatched pile for a while, and the wrapping will protect the case somewhat. The only ones I will open and not watch right away woudl be if I hear a rattle that I dont like when I shake the case. Then I open it to check the disc.
Old 06-05-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I almost always dont open them because when it comes time to double or triple dip...It is worth more to sell or trade etc..(and hd,blu rays same thing). It would be cool if I ever got around to watching them but I am sure some other collectors here can relate.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.