Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Flight of the Navigator - remake (D: Bryce Dallas Howard)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...85e79ab55c8b4a
'Navigator' to take flight again
Disney, Mandeville set remake of 1986 sci-fi adventure
By Borys Kit
May 25, 2009, 11:00 PM ET

"Flight of the Navigator"
Disney is readying another launch of sci-fi adventure movie "Flight of the Navigator."

Brad Copeland is writing the remake, which is being produced by Mandeville partners David Hoberman and Todd Lieberman.

The 1986 original told the story of a 12-year-old boy who is abducted by an alien spacecraft in 1978 and reappears eight years later, still the same age and with no memory of what happened. NASA scientists discover a connection between the boy and a downed spacecraft and try to exploit the boy, who ultimately escapes with the ship and attempts to reunite with his family.

The movie grossed only $17 million when it was released but was later rediscovered on VHS, becoming a cult hit.

John Hyde, who executive produced the first one, steps into the same role for the new version.

Mandeville's senior vp Albert Page will help oversee development and exec produce. Kristin Burr is overseeing for Disney.

Copeland, repped by UTA, wrote "Wild Hogs" for Disney and is writing "Nightcrawlers" at Warners. He cut his teeth in the TV world, where he acted as writer-producer on "Arrested Development" and recently as writer and consulting producer on "My Name is Earl."

Disney-based Mandeville is readying the release of "The Proposal," the Sandra Bullock-Ryan Reynolds romantic comedy opening June 19. The company is behind the Bruce Willis sci-fi action thriller "The Surrogates," which Disney scheduled for a Sept. 25 release, and is in pre-production on Relativity and Paramount's "The Fighter," a boxing pic which will see David O. Russell directing Christian Bale and Mark Wahlberg.
Old 05-26-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Flight of the Navigator - remake (D: Bryce Dallas Howard)

No Damnit!
Old 05-26-09, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copeland, repped by UTA, wrote "Wild Hogs" for Disney
Old 05-26-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll see it. I've always liked the story & wouldn't mind another take. Its not going to change the old one.

BTW: Disney should remake The Black Hole. Always wanted to see an update of it. Also wouldn't mind getting a Vincent or Maximillion figure.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (09-15-21)
Old 05-26-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't mind a revisit with the original characters (and original actors), only all grown up. Maybe Max comes back to get further help from his navigator, but has to use the character's son/daughter instead.

And naturally there'll be the usually government flies (scientists/agents) in the ointment to muck things up.

Maybe Howard Hessemann is still available.
John Pannozzi (09-15-21)
Old 05-26-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Exactly Jon2; if they are remaking a 23 year old movie, they are banking on some recognition of the previous one. So why not just do a sequel with some of the original characters?

If they make it a sequel, I'll watch it but this remake crap has got to stop! New ideas please!
Old 05-26-09, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Is it scary that I posted this poster in the other thread before hearing this news?
Old 05-26-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

One of my favorite movies growing up. I say leave it be.
Old 09-15-21, 12:19 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

Flight of the Navigator is gearing up to soar for Disney once again.

Bryce Dallas Howard is attached to direct and produce a female-led reimagining of the 1986 kids sci-fi adventure movie for Walt Disney Studios.

The project, which is intended for Disney+, will also be produced by John Swartz, Howard’s partner at production company Nine Muses, and Justin Springer.

The original movie told of a 12-year-old boy who is abducted by a UFO and reappears eight years later at the exact same age and with no memories of what happened. When NASA officials spot a connection between the boy and a recovered UFO and try to ensnare him, the kid attempts to unravel the intergalactic mystery while trying to reunite with his family.

In the new iteration, the protagonist will be female, although it is unclear if the age bracket will change as well.

Randal Kleiser, best known for directing 1978’s Grease, helmed the movie, which was released by Disney although it did not make it. It was, rather, produced and financed by now defunct company Producers Sales Organization, which found success in the 1980s with The Outsiders and The NeverEnding Story.

Disney tried reimagining the title in 2009 — at one point, Colin Trevorrow and Derek Connolly worked on the script — but lost the rights to Lionsgate in the 2010s. The latter tried to develop a version with Lucifer showrunner Joe Henderson. The version didn’t achieve liftoff and the property is back at Disney.

While Howard is known for her work in front of the camera — she is one of the stars of the Jurassic World franchise and starred as Gwen Stacy in Spider-Man 3 — she has been slowly making moves to build a new career as a director.

After helming several shorts and a documentary, Howard made her TV debut directing two episodes of Star Wars series The Mandalorian, made by Disney-owned Lucasfilm. She also has an episode of The Book of Boba Fett under her belt as well; that will stream on Disney+ this winter. Navigator would serve as her feature directorial debut.

Howard is repped by WME, Management 360, and attorney PJ Shapiro.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...ey-1235014407/
Old 09-15-21, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts
Re: Flight of the Navigator - remake (D: Bryce Dallas Howard)

I’m ok with this. I recently rewatched the original for the first time since I was a kid. It starts out really interesting with the kid waking up 8 years later. The first half if the movie is really pretty good and actually holds up well after all these years. Then the second half, the filmmakers completely run out of ideas and just had David fly around, not really doing anything. Then there’s the awful 80s Pee-Wee Herman shit from Max and the second half completely falls apart.
John Pannozzi (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I do not know if I would say the 2nd half is a total fail, but yeah...it just serves to show a whole bunch of flying and evading of security type folks from NASA, etc.. I recently re-watched on Disney + and enjoyed it too. To echo what you said GoldenJCJ, I am more than okay with Bryce taking a crack at directing a remake. Also, changing the protagonist to a girl does not bother me one bit. This was a fun film, but it is not a sacred cow where no one is allowed to put their own spin on the story.
John Pannozzi (09-15-21)
Old 09-16-21, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

^ pretty much my exact thoughts. This is perfect for Disney+ where it will get some decent funding to make it look decent but not so over done and budgeted that it needs to make hundreds of millions of dollars or be considered a flop.
Old 09-16-21, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Also I'm amazed at how long these ideas gestate and sit on a shelf for.
Old 09-16-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

I watched that movie a lot when I was a kid, but haven't gotten around to showing it to my kids. No problems with a remake being made. It could end up pretty cool.
Old 09-16-21, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I watched that movie a lot when I was a kid, but haven't gotten around to showing it to my kids. No problems with a remake being made. It could end up pretty cool.
Same here. I loved stuff like this and Space Camp but movies just go so much better over the years (even kids movies) and when I've tried to show him he has no interest.
Old 09-16-21, 04:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Waiting for Close Encounters remake with Andy Serkis as all the aliens.