Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Great Script/Concept, but Poor Film?

PacMan2006
05-22-09, 03:47 PM
When "The Knowing" came out, I was interested in seeing it because people stated that the concept--while a little out there--was fairly interesting, but that the money itself was a bit of a mess.

It got me thinking, what are some other films where you've walked out of the theater thinking that while the idea of the plot was good, the movie was a mangled mess?

devilshalo
05-22-09, 03:54 PM
Soldier.

islandclaws
05-22-09, 04:06 PM
Terminator Salvation

While the film does look awesome, the script needed some major work to even come close to living up to "our" collective vision of the future war.

RichC2
05-22-09, 04:12 PM
I agree with Knowing. The film making wasn't bad, the story had great ideas, but the script itself and the plot they run along with it definitely had issues.

chris_sc77
05-22-09, 04:57 PM
The 6th day
I, robot
MIB 1/2

BullGooseLoony
05-22-09, 05:30 PM
No lie, Good Luck Chuck.

I thought it was a very funny, potentially sweet concept, but they milked it for every frat-guy level joke imaginable.

islandclaws
05-22-09, 05:44 PM
Old-school: Lifeforce.

The concept, and a good portion of the execution, is so friggin' awesome. But Hooper's lack of directorial prowess was starting to really show through at that point and the film just wasn't nearly as awesome as it should have been.

dugan
05-22-09, 05:56 PM
The Puppet Masters

mdc3000
05-22-09, 07:59 PM
M. Night's THE VILLAGE. I think the idea of a group of humans living in the middle of a forest, surrounded by creatures is super cool. I was totally with that movie when I thought it was about a broken truce and the beginning of a creature vs. villagers war in the 1800's...that movie would have been badass and I think someone should ape that and not fuck it up.

hasslein
05-22-09, 08:31 PM
I'll catch a lot for this, but John Carpenter's They Live. Awesome idea, terrible execution.

mcnabb
05-22-09, 10:03 PM
Indecent Proposal. I really thought this was a cool premise, and started a debate among couples that summer of '93, but the movie ended up being really bad, IMO.

Pearl Harbor. Do real-life events count? Michael Bay fucked this movie up, as this could have been great, but he tried to copy Titanic, and ended up making a lame love story, along with characters I could give a rats ass about.

RichC2
05-22-09, 10:12 PM
Indecent Proposal. I really thought this was a cool premise, and started a debate among couples that summer of '93, but the movie ended up being really bad, IMO.

Pearl Harbor. Do real-life events count? Michael Bay fucked this movie up, as this could have been great, but he tried to copy Titanic, and ended up making a lame love story, along with characters I could give a rats ass about.

I always thought Indecent Proposal was a reasonable respected movie, until a couple days ago when I looked it up for one reason or another. Was unaware it was a multiple Razzie nominee/winner.

Also, Cameron knows how to make movies with romantic subplots seem natural, Bay has yet to learn that.

dx23
05-22-09, 10:15 PM
Van Helsing
Ghost Rider
Superman Returns
The Spirit
Gangs of New York
Fantastic Four 1 and 2
Spider-Man 3
X-Men 3

LickTheABCs
05-22-09, 10:54 PM
Old-school: Lifeforce.

The concept, and a good portion of the execution, is so friggin' awesome. But Hooper's lack of directorial prowess was starting to really show through at that point and the film just wasn't nearly as awesome as it should have been.

Agreed. But I forgive all that 'cause Mathilda May is :drool:

Neeb
05-23-09, 12:13 AM
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
Brilliant, bizarre script. Lame movie. Clooney should not have tried directing with this script.

Cathepsin
05-23-09, 12:29 AM
Dogville had a great twist - could have been a great film noir.

Moonstone
05-23-09, 01:38 AM
Cats and Dogs - a surefire winner for a great comedy but turning it into a family film really killed it.

mdc3000
05-23-09, 09:45 AM
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
Brilliant, bizarre script. Lame movie. Clooney should not have tried directing with this script.

Woah. Different strokes I guess, because I fucking LOVE that movie. (77% on RT as well) Clooney is a great director and he showed that here IMO.

Jason
05-23-09, 09:55 AM
I'd say every Marvel superhero movie with the exception of Iron Man and the first two Spider-Man movies. Great characters, decades worth of material to mine for ideas, and we end up with the nonsense of the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies. It's best not to even think about what they did with the Hulk.

mcnabb
05-23-09, 10:16 AM
The Fan- With Robert DeNiro and Wesley Snipes. I was really excited for this movie, as it made sense to get some obsessive sports fan do something crazy on an athlete. The movie was such a letdown, especially with a great cast.

milo bloom
05-23-09, 11:16 AM
Little Nicky
Seriously, a child of the devil and an angel that has to visit earth to save his dad? That really sounds like one of those weird European films that Criterion would make a big fuss over.

I do somewhat enjoy the comedic take we have on it now, but the first thing I thought of after watching it was a remake in a serious vein.

Also, Idiocracy. It's so damn close to Futurama they should have just made a live-action Futurama film.

And I recently watched Stardust and didn't love it like I felt I should. All the pieces were there, it just didn't click for me.

Traxan
05-23-09, 01:18 PM
Waterworld

sherm42
05-23-09, 01:25 PM
Nick of Time

Seriously, this movie had to be the inspiration for 24. Also, it is the perfect setup for what could have been a great Hitchcock movie. The movie was ok, but nothing special.

AnonomusBob15
05-24-09, 11:06 AM
I was really excited about The Good Shepherd. Amazing cast and story, boring film. Would have loved to see someone like Michael Mann tackle the subject.

Shannon Nutt
05-24-09, 12:04 PM
I'll second Superman Returns. I was very excited that they weren't going to ignore the previous Superman movies but pay homage to them, but the movie turned out to be an incredible bore. So this is one where the concept was good, but the script/final product wasn't.

I've heard that Tim Burton's Batman had one of the best scripts Hollywood had seen in years...now I wouldn't call that movie a "poor film," but it's also far from a great one. So something seems to have gotten lost in translation there.

GoldenJCJ
05-24-09, 01:12 PM
Agreed with Superman Returns, I place the vast majority of the blame for that movie on the poor script.

The Da Vinci Code, Great ideas and cool concepts, yet the movie was so mediocre. I haven't seen Angels and Demons yet but I'd guess it's the same.

A couple Horror movies:
Ghost Ship, I love the idea of finding an old abandoned, haunted luxury liner in the ocean. This film had so much potential but flat out sucked!

House on Haunted Hill, A great haunted house movie, add to spooky "Haunted hospital" elements and it had the potential to be quite creepy. Turned out to be a pile of crap.

I know they're easy targets but most horror movies would fit this bill, especially the watered down PG-13 garbage we get. A lot of great ideas in those movies but shit execution.

Ronnie Dobbs
05-25-09, 08:07 AM
Mystery Men

RichC2
05-28-09, 11:29 PM
Was watching the trailer for Thirst, and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance popped to mind for this thread. I like Chan-wook Park a great deal, but nothing in Sympathy... worked for me in terms of filmmaking. There was no atmosphere, just sterile observation, I felt nothing for any of the characters despite the situation, and the pacing just felt off.

Gone Baby Gone covers similar ground so I don't necessarily think it will be remade, or that it should be, but it was one of my bigger disappointments, especially considering ho well received it was around the time I saw it. Great story, just deadly dull.

Angels and Demons, I'm all for a movie about resurrecting the Illuminati and taking on the Vatican... but not like this.

Superboy
05-29-09, 07:10 AM
The Star Wars prequels. The core ideas were pretty good, but the movies are so plodding and boring, with such poor screenplays that nothing comes off right.

nmr1723
05-29-09, 08:55 AM
Also, Idiocracy. It's so damn close to Futurama they should have just made a live-action Futurama film.

Seconded...I was so very excited for this film...Mike Judge, great concept...and in the end I was completely let down. Parts were funny...but it just didn't do it for me...

DRG
05-29-09, 12:52 PM
Screwed - On paper, the pairing of Dave Chappelle and Norm MacDonald should be comedy gold. In reality it was one of the dullest comedies I've ever seen... I honestly can't remember a single thing about it other than it was a massive disappointment.

Groucho
05-29-09, 12:54 PM
We're going to see The Expendables on this list once it comes out. There's no way it'll match the movie everybody's built up inside their heads.

mcnabb
05-29-09, 04:53 PM
The Star Wars prequels. The core ideas were pretty good, but the movies are so plodding and boring, with such poor screenplays that nothing comes off right.

I agree. The story could have surpassed the Original Trilogy, as in theory it is more adult, more deep, more dramatic. And then Jar Jar Binks steps on screen, and the rest is history!

riley_dude
05-29-09, 05:04 PM
A older movie with Cheryl Ladd and Krist Kerstofferson...Millennium.

Also the recent Benjamin Button. Great concept. Horrible execution.

TheAllPurposeNothing
05-29-09, 09:00 PM
Toys - Loved the idea of a toy manufacturer producing weapons. At times stagerringly beautiful to look at, but rarely rises above painful to watch. May be the only time I didn't like Joan Cusack in something.

gmanca
05-29-09, 09:41 PM
A older movie with Cheryl Ladd and Krist Kerstofferson...Millennium.

Great choice! It plays as a mystery/cover-up but gives away too much of what should have been the "ah-ha" moment. Perhaps if the future stuff was considered as a "dream" Ladd was having, then it would be a real twist.

Toys - Loved the idea of a toy manufacturer producing weapons. At times stagerringly beautiful to look at, but rarely rises above painful to watch.

Yup; Levinson didn't seem to know which direction he wanted to take and the mysterious "sea swine" was an anti-climatic dud. Some great imagery with the "Mirror song," the house in the middle of the corn fields, and the kids forced to play the wargames. But the dialogue and story arcs are terrible for such a unique idea.

I think Star Trek V really does count as an example; the idea of finding God was perfectly sound but the effects, some of the slapstick, and lack of depth into certain aspects, like Sybok and the "release of pain" were the film's downfall.

taa455
05-30-09, 02:05 AM
Jumper leaps to mind.

UAIOE
05-30-09, 05:51 AM
Toys - Loved the idea of a toy manufacturer producing weapons. At times stagerringly beautiful to look at, but rarely rises above painful to watch. May be the only time I didn't like Joan Cusack in something.

I think the surreal imagery is weird and great, the overall story is kinda meh.

There are a few "Robin Williams moments" in the movie, which are a nice touch.