Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Older movies returning to a theater for a weekend

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just off and on I've noticed old films, even ones from the 80s, pop up in an actual movie theater for a weekend or a Saturday night showing, etc.

Does anyone know of an easy way to track such things down in your own general area? Like a website where you could put a zip code in and find "classic" movies that are showing or sign up for an alert for specific films?

I noticed a theater I've never gone to that is a little over an hour away from me was showing the Goonies and it just got me to thinking.
Old 05-22-09, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Older movies returning to a theater for a weekend

Not sure where you're at, but in So Cal we've got the OC Register which has a film section that lists revival screenings. There are also half a dozen theater in LA that frequently show older titles, showtimes of which can easily be found on their website.

I don't know how you'd find out about a regular theater doing revivals, though. Maybe find out which ones seem to do it and then check with them monthly to see what's on tap.
Old 05-22-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I have the theater with the Goonies bookmarked now so I can check and see what others they end up showing. Was just curious if some website out there did some sort of search and had listings or something. I'd drive 2 hours if it was a kick ass movie! haha

Sadly I'm not in SoCal, I figured they'd have a slew of options.

Last edited by nightwing82; 05-22-09 at 01:12 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

You have the visit the local theater, sometime your local paper will list them but usually only for that weekend and maybe the next.

They showed Goonies here for a weekend.

One of the local drafthouses does midnight showings but that's a bit different (one night limited engagement) -- showed Poultrygeist, Shaun of the Dead, Evil Dead II, etc;

Another drafthouse does weekly weekend engagements (this weekend: La Traviata, Pulp Fiction, Goonies (PF and Goonies are midnight showings))
Old 05-22-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I went to a showing of Braveheart a few years back. I was pumped to get to see it again on the big screen. I was quite disappointed when it turned out they were using the original DVD(washed out color palette) instead of film.
Old 05-22-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a local theatre which shows a classic movie every Thursday night, and sometimes on Saturday mornings. They are always a lot of fun to go to.