Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

When will we get a Summer movie the critics like?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-09, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far we've had 4 releases: RT has scored Wolverine 37%, Angels & Demons 38%, Terminator: Salvation 33% & Night At The Museum 2 42%. I still plan on seeing all 4 in the theater (& probably buying them). I like my Summer popcorn movies. I'll be shocked if UP doesn't break the streak. Can't believe that 42% positive is the best reviewed movie of the first 4 Summer blockbusters.
Old 05-21-09, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: When will we get a Summer movie the critics like?

We already did. It's called STAR TREK. 95% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
Old 05-21-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just coming back to delete the thread. Totally blanked out on Star Trek which was absolutely flawless. Sorry about that.
Old 05-21-09, 06:51 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

It's not summer yet.
Old 05-21-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
We already did. It's called STAR TREK. 95% Fresh on Rotten Tomatoes.
That was going to be my answer.
Old 05-21-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well, since the thread's question has been answered, I suppose we could transition this into yet another thread about how the masses and critics rarely agree. Do critics dislike things that are popular because they're popular? Do they favor things that are unpopular because they're unpopular? Do the masses only profess to like things that are popular to connect with other people through that popularity?

Or, you know, we could just close the thread. I'm fine either way.
Old 05-21-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Well, since the thread's question has been answered, I suppose we could transition this into yet another thread about how the masses and critics rarely agree. Do critics dislike things that are popular because they're popular? Do they favor things that are unpopular because they're unpopular? Do the masses only profess to like things that are popular to connect with other people through that popularity?
People tend to only go to movies they're inclined to like, therefore public opinion of various movies tends to be higher. People who hate Adam Sandler, for example, probably don't go to Adam Sandler movies, so their negative opinions don't enter into the mix.

Liking summer popcorn movies is fine. But you have to come to grips with the fact that there are good summer popcorn flicks and bad summer popcorn flicks.
Old 05-21-09, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There have been a number of popular summer franchises that critics have given good reviews to over the last decade. There are a handful or critics that don't give good reviews to any genre films, but that's their problem.
Old 05-21-09, 08:27 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

There seems to be this fallacy that all critics like the same movies with little disagreement among them. This isn't the case at all. Sure, there are some movies that are liked by almost all critics. These movies are usually really good. There are also some movies that are disliked by almost all critics. These movies by and large suck. In the middle are the majority of movies that have both adherents and detractors in the critical community.
Old 05-21-09, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We had one last year that was one of the best movies of the year.
Old 05-21-09, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Up will probably receive rave reviews this month as well... already is actually.
Old 05-21-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing critical reception to Public Enemies should be pretty high, based upon Mann's track record.
Old 05-22-09, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

The answer to the OP's second question is that people are undiscerning. Most people don't pay attention to or aren't aware on a technique-based level of the direction, acting, or cinematography, they just want to be pleased by the basic story and action.

I also can't help but wonder what percentage of a movie the average Joe teenager actually pays attention to. I think most of them wouldn't be aware that they had tuned out or been distracted during 25% of a given movie, and would say it was good because they were ignoring the bad parts.
Old 05-22-09, 04:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Briggs
So far we've had 4 releases: RT has scored Wolverine 37%, Angels & Demons 38%, Terminator: Salvation 33% & Night At The Museum 2 42%. I still plan on seeing all 4 in the theater (& probably buying them). I like my Summer popcorn movies. I'll be shocked if UP doesn't break the streak. Can't believe that 42% positive is the best reviewed movie of the first 4 Summer blockbusters.
Star Trek is at 96%
Old 05-22-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Last summer critics absolutely RAVED about The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Tropic Thunder, and WALL-E.

Heck, even the craptacular Indiana Jones movie was something like 70% positive as well.

Good movies are good movies, summertime or not. No season in the world is gonna make Wolverine a good movie by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 05-22-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw

Or, you know, we could just close the thread. I'm fine either way.
Last year, the #1 movie at the box office was The Dark Knight, which was one of the best reviewed movies of the year (ahead of all 5 Best Picture nominees -- though Ben Button and The Reader were not well greatly received amongst critics), similarly, Iron Man was the #2 movie at the box office and was almost as highly rated. #3 was Indiana Jones, which despite being largely unpopular on the internets, was well received critically. #4 was Hancock which actually was poorly received, and strictly from a filmmaking prespective, it was a poor film (the second half destroyed it.)

For 2009, Star Trek should take the lead in a few weeks (it will lose it eventually) and is also the best reviewed wide release movie of the year. The current #1 (Monsters vs. Aliens) was well received.

Now if you look back to 2007, you will see a lot of "okay" rated movies making a ton of money. However, few people would argue that most weren't borderline crap: #1. Spider-man 3, #2. Shrek the Third, #3. Transformers, #4. Pirates 3, #5. Harry Potter 5 (highest rated of this group)

In otherwords, critics seem to be more inline w/ the general public these days. Sure, a lot of artsy flicks that many would consider boring still get high reviews, but popular entertainment is starting to get equally high marks -- if it deserves it.

Edit: Actually looking at the top 10 for 2007, that was just a disappointing year... and critics weren't all that harsh on a majority of it:

1. Spider-man 3 (62%)
2. Shrek the 3rd (40%)
3. Transformers (57%)
4. Pirates of the Caribbean : At World's End (45%)
5. Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix (78%)
6. I Am Legend (69%)
7. The Bourne Ultimatum (93%)
8. National Treasure: Book of Secrets (32%)
9. Alvin and the Chipmunks (26%)
10. 300 (60%)

Last edited by RichC2; 05-22-09 at 08:20 AM.