Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The voice of Mickey Mouse has died at 62

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

LOS ANGELES – Wayne Allwine, the actor who voiced Mickey Mouse for more than 30 years, has died.

The Walt Disney Co. says Allwine died Monday of complications from diabetes, with Russi Taylor, his wife of 20 years and the voice of Minnie Mouse, by his side. He was 62.

"Wayne dedicated his entire professional life to Disney," chief executive Robert Iger said in a statement Wednesday. "Over the last 32 years, (he) gave so much joy, happiness and comfort to so many around the world by giving voice to our most beloved, iconic character, Mickey Mouse."

A Southern California native, Allwine joined Disney in 1966 when he took a job in the mail room. He went on to work in the sound effects department and began voicing the company's main mouse in 1977.

His falsetto can be heard in 1983's "Mickey's Christmas Carol," 1988's "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" and at Disney theme parks around the world. He won an Emmy Award in 1986 for his sound editing on the NBC series "Amazing Stories."

Allwine was the third man behind Mickey's voice. The first was Disney himself, then Jimmy MacDonald, who became Allwine's mentor and passed him the reins after voicing the mouse for 30 years.

"He said, 'Just remember kid, you're only filling in for the boss,'" Allwine once recalled. "And that's the way he treated doing Mickey for years and years."

"Mickey's the real star," Allwine continued. "You know you just have to love the little guy while you have him, because he won't be yours forever."

Roy E. Disney, director emeritus for The Walt Disney Co., said Allwine did more than give Mickey a voice. He "gave him a heart and soul as well."

"He did an incredible job of bringing emotion, humor and appeal to the character, and superbly carried on the tradition originated by my Uncle Walt, and later by sound-effects wizard Jimmy Macdonald."

Besides Taylor, Allwine is survived by five children from a previous marriage: Erin, Alison, Peter, Christopher and Joshua.
Old 05-20-09, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts
Re: The voice of Mickey Mouse has died at 62

Originally Posted by The Infidel
Allwine died Monday of complications from diabetes, with Russi Taylor, his wife of 20 years and the voice of Minnie Mouse, by his side. He was 62.
An interesting bit of trivia there.

Old 05-20-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
An interesting bit of trivia there.

I didn't know she was Minnie before finding the story. I recognized her name from her work on The Simpsons and The Critic.
Old 05-20-09, 11:21 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

His marriage to Russi Taylor was mentioned in some early Simpsons DVD commentaries. From what I hear, they were very much in love and he was passionate about his work. Bummer.
Old 05-20-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Wow. He is definitely one of those people you take for granted. He will be missed. Very interesting trivia about his wife being the voice of Minnie.

Here's hoping Disney can pull off what Warner Bros. and Jim Henson Studios haven't been able to do with Bugs & Kermit, find a quality heir.
Old 05-20-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Well if you read the article you'd know that Wayne was the third person to voice Mickey Mouse. So I'd say Disney has been pretty successful, so far.
Old 05-20-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree, but there's a generational thing at play right here. He has been the voice of Mickey for Gen Xers entire lives. Any slight difference is going to be immediately noticeable for an entire generation.
Old 05-21-09, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I agree, but there's a generational thing at play right here. He has been the voice of Mickey for Gen Xers entire lives. Any slight difference is going to be immediately noticeable for an entire generation.
I don't want to pick on a dead guy, but Mickey doesn't have a very distinctive voice, and in fact isn't particularly known for talking. Bugs and Daffy are known as much for their verbal jousting as their antics, but Mickey is little more than an image that says, "Hey kids!"
Old 05-21-09, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RIP Wayne Allwine
Old 05-22-09, 05:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I am truly hurt by this news.
Old 05-22-09, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Thanks for providing a bit of joy for us all. RIP.
Old 05-22-09, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

I always found it sweet that Mickey and Minnie where technically a real life couple. I'm sad to read about his passing.

Old 05-22-09, 09:37 AM

Very sad news. My daughter loves Mickey Mouse Playhouse. I wonder how this will impact future episodes.

Old 05-22-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow. He is definitely one of those people you take for granted. He will be missed. Very interesting trivia about his wife being the voice of Minnie.
Makes you wonder what kind of bedroom games they would play.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I don't want to pick on a dead guy, but Mickey doesn't have a very distinctive voice, and in fact isn't particularly known for talking. Bugs and Daffy are known as much for their verbal jousting as their antics, but Mickey is little more than an image that says, "Hey kids!"

Then you must not have small children and the Disney Channel.

Oh Toodles!

Last edited by Snowmaker; 05-22-09 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05-22-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I think Mickey has a pretty distinct voice, tho at times he and Felix the Cat sound very similar.

Maybe now is my chance to audition for Mickey. I've had his voice down pretty much since high school.
Old 05-22-09, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I would be shocked if they didn't have an apprentice waiting in the wings at all times.

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Then you must not have small children and the Disney Channel.

Oh Toodles!
Old 05-22-09, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, didnt see this!

RIP, you will be missed.
Old 05-22-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I would be shocked if they didn't have an apprentice waiting in the wings at all times.
You can usually hear differences to know there have been a few different Mickey's for certain things. I'm sure throughout Disneyland has been Allwine, but some commercial work you can tell it's some other person(s) because pitch, tone and inflection seems off.