Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

floater disc in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
floater disc in the mail

I just received the classic Fly Collection and the first movie was loose in the holder and slightly scratched in 2 spots. I did a check of it and it seems to read fine though. I don't think I want to go through the trouble of having to return this so I'll keep it but I'm still a bit mad because I expected something that was new and in perfect shape.

I was wondering what everyone normally does when they receive a scratched dvd. Do you send it back no matter what or check it and see if it reads ok and keep it? Have there been times you've received really badly scratched dvds?
Old 05-19-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: floater disc in the mail

It's funny you should post this today, because I finally got my Superman: Ultimate Collection replacement discs today.

I'm very ocd about the condition of my discs, so I was kind of afraid to send them in (I initially considered just returning the whole set), but they actually came in pretty good shape.

They have the faintest scratches, and it doesn't really bother me...

...now just as long as it plays.
Old 05-19-09, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the only time I was going to mail in a disc to get a replacement was with Dario Argento's movie Opera, it was one of those defective dye discs that got recalled. Anchor Bay sent me a new one along with, oddly enough, the supergirl movie as a sorry.
Old 05-19-09, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

If it plays, it stays.
Old 05-19-09, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by edtheripper
if it plays, it stays.
+1
Old 05-19-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

floaters get sent back, half the time i don't even bother opening them.
Old 05-19-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

If there is only faint scratches, it rarely affects the playback on pressed discs. Recordable discs are another story, the slightest nick or "dead spot" freezes the picture almost every time.
Old 05-19-09, 06:43 PM
Banned

Always return them. New DVDs are meant to be new! If I wanted it scratched I'd buy it used.
Old 05-19-09, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dkedvd
Always return them. New DVDs are meant to be new! If I wanted it scratched I'd buy it used.
Ditto. However, it has only happened to me twice since I started collecting.
Old 05-19-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just can't be bothered having to pay to send this back I guess, it's not worth it to me. If I had purchased it from a store and realized later it was scratched of course I'd return it and get a new one but just online shopping I guess I'd only do it if it's to the point where I couldn't view it. I am a bit of a fanatic myself about keeping my stuff perfect but I guess I'll let this one slide.
Old 05-19-09, 07:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by statcat
I just can't be bothered having to pay to send this back I guess, it's not worth it to me. If I had purchased it from a store and realized later it was scratched of course I'd return it and get a new one but just online shopping I guess I'd only do it if it's to the point where I couldn't view it. I am a bit of a fanatic myself about keeping my stuff perfect but I guess I'll let this one slide.
Except for maybe the faintest of scratches (especially in multi-disk sets) it goes back. I have yet to ever have to pay for shipping it back. Amazon has the best policy I've had need to use (again especially for sets) since they will ship a replacement at their cost right away and give you 30 days to return the defective one. With sets this allows you to mix and match disks. With DD they will cover shipping if you ask but they have to receive the bad product back before shipping out a new copy.

I do find it interesting how many people are under the impression they have to pay shipping to send a defective product back.
Old 05-19-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
Except for maybe the faintest of scratches (especially in multi-disk sets) it goes back.
Completely agreed. I once almost bought the Alien quadrilogy, new and sealed for $30, until I realized there was a floater. So close...
Old 05-19-09, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bsmith
Except for maybe the faintest of scratches (especially in multi-disk sets) it goes back. I have yet to ever have to pay for shipping it back. Amazon has the best policy I've had need to use (again especially for sets) since they will ship a replacement at their cost right away and give you 30 days to return the defective one. With sets this allows you to mix and match disks. With DD they will cover shipping if you ask but they have to receive the bad product back before shipping out a new copy.

I do find it interesting how many people are under the impression they have to pay shipping to send a defective product back.
Knew about amazon's but not DD's which is where I got it from, thanks. I started this just as a spur of the moment thread right after I received it so I hadn't investigated that far yet. I don't think they used to have that policy but I could be wrong.
Old 05-19-09, 10:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by statcat
Knew about amazon's but not DD's which is where I got it from, thanks. I started this just as a spur of the moment thread right after I received it so I hadn't investigated that far yet. I don't think they used to have that policy but I could be wrong.
I don't know if they state it directly. All I know is that over the years I've purchased a fair amount from them and whenever I end up with a damaged product I just email and ask them nicely for a postage paid label to send it back, and they've always given me one.
Old 05-21-09, 07:32 AM

I've had several floaters from Amazon used merchants. A couple of times they just sent replacements and I didn't have to return the scratched disk. Another time the outfit credited my credit card (though I kept the set, on which one episode wouldn't play). Still, if the case is open why don't they just make sure the darned disk is pushed down on the spindle? I've only had one new floater, but it played so I didn't bother sending it back.
Old 05-22-09, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it is a floater, I don't even bother opening it. With multi disc sets, my standards have lessened a bit. If the scratches are minor, and I can't see them after tilting the disc, I usually live with them. However, if it is deep enough that the scratch remains upon tilting, I don't even take a chance and send it back.
Old 05-23-09, 06:44 AM

I have had loads of DVDs come through the post loose , I got the LONE WOLF AND CUB T.V SERIES discs through and most of them were loose , as the cases Tokyo Shock use are really flimsy and break very easily. I think they are the same ones Shriek Show use sometimes. The scratches on the discs were very bad , however i spent about 3 hours using a good DVD polish and buffing the scratches out , now they are acceptable , I only kept them this time because I know if i re-order them - the same thing will happen again due to the poorly made DVD cases. But usually as a rule - I send them back , it is hassle but i hate scratches on my DVDs!!.
Old 05-23-09, 10:08 AM

I hate floaters, every time I get one I want to cry. I usually don't return it unless it's scratched beyond belief.
Old 05-23-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am sure this probably isnt a nice practice but when they do come loose in the mail from ebay or some other online retailer, if its still sealed i just go buy it at Target or some store, return the floater copy for a refund. I have only had to do it twice now but it works for me.
Old 05-23-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
I am sure this probably isnt a nice practice but when they do come loose in the mail from ebay or some other online retailer, if its still sealed i just go buy it at Target or some store, return the floater copy for a refund. I have only had to do it twice now but it works for me.
I can't blame you for this tactic. The end result remains the same, it gets returned to the manufacturer and you aren't out extra $ for return shipping. It is a shame there isn't a loophole for discs that are scratched or have fingerprints on sealed copies.
Old 05-23-09, 11:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I return the everloving fuck out of scratched discs in general. For some reason...I get screwed in this form. Amazon must have a massive back log on me by now. Had to exchange Halloween, the Kubrick set, etc...if there's a scratch it gets sent back. I'll play it to review it....cuz you never know..maybe the exchange DVD coming back may be in worse wear..but if it plays good for hte most part it stays. I hate ordering multisets cuz..it's such a pain to return the whole thing. Yeah, it's free but..I hate doing this all the time.
Old 05-24-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Rammsteinfan
Originally Posted by boc4ever
I can't blame you for this tactic. The end result remains the same, it gets returned to the manufacturer and you aren't out extra $ for return shipping. It is a shame there isn't a loophole for discs that are scratched or have fingerprints on sealed copies.
Yep. this is the tactic that I take as well. Happens rarely to me though. I guess I dont buy enough online.
Old 05-24-09, 04:57 PM
Cool New Member

I very rarely get floaters, but I still get tons of scratched discs still on the holder (especially in box sets). QC for DVDs is really, really bad. I've even had about 4 scratched Blu-rays.

What's funny, is I have never, ever purchased a videogame or music CD that was scratched brand new from the factory.
Old 05-26-09, 03:11 AM
Banned

I haven't had this happen too many times. Though, I was going to buy that set of Incredible Hulk movies (the last set the store had) but when I picked it up, I heard the "clatter of death." The worst company for scratched discs has to be Mill Creek Entertainment. I bought the first season of The Adventures Of Robin Hood. A three disc set, two of the discs were more scratched than I had ever seen a dvd before. They looked like they had been dropped on the asphault then run over several times with a heavy truck. I wrote the company and they sent me a whole new set. Guess what ? This time, all three discs were even more scratched....if you can believe that. Again, I wrote Mill Creek. This time, one of the guys down there went into their "vaults" and hand picked extremely perfect dvds. This really annoys me. Sure, I can cover the disc with Brasso and wipe it off, but that takes 10 to 20 minutes for each disc. (longer if the air is humid) It is a lot of trouble to go through for having spent so much money on something. Sometimes, it's like the companies never even try at QC. Most of the time, if you put the disc back on the spindle, it takes a 2 ton truck (or so it seems) to get it back off. So you know the disc didn't come loose in shipping. Whoever assembled the set just didn't pay attention to what they were doing. It especially sucks for multiple disc sets. You write the company and they say you have to send in the whole set. It would be much easier to just send them some sort of proof of the problem. The two most recent instances of crappy QC have to be the Limited Edition Charmed sets and the complete series of Fraggle rock.
Old 05-26-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Floater in the toilet...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.