Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Cheating or bad play?

NORML54601
05-19-09, 11:28 AM
Disclaimer: I almost exclusively play in tournaments and am not as familiar with cash game rules.

Last night my neighbor invites me to a cash game with a bunch of guys he works with. The night started off great with me taking $20 on the first hand (.10/.20 blinds) and being up about $40 within a half hour. Then I notice that the other players seem to be playing me a lot more aggressively than each other which, while dumb, doesn't bother me too much cause it's more for me to win. Eventually we get to a point where there's probably $15 in the pot and I was back down to about $25 so I pushed with my pocket 9's. The guy after me turns to the guy after him and says "I'll call and check it down if you do". Mathematically it's idiotic, but is it cheating in a cash game? I know etiqutte usually dictates checking the pot down in a tourney if someone is all in, but why do it in a cash game unless they were just trying to get me out? Suffice it to sat I won't be playing with those yahoos again.

mgbfan
05-19-09, 11:36 AM
Two things:

Yes, to discuss with each other how they intend to play the hand is cheating. The guy who said that was clearly in the wrong.

Secondly, I can't help but wonder if your estimation of how the other players played your might be an observational error. I strongly doubt there was a conspiracy to play one guy aggressivly and the rest of the table more passivly. As you've said, it doesn't make sense, and it's not how players think. Much more likely, you were on the receiving end of some genuine aggression and you painted that picture for yourself. Alternativly, you may have been giving people reason to believe aggressive play against you would succeed. I, for one, will play much differently based on my opponent. Some warrent a more passive style, while others are begging to be reraised early and often.

Thrush
05-19-09, 12:07 PM
Thats definitely collusion, whether they know they're doing it or not. Soft playing each other also falls into that category.

El Scorcho
05-19-09, 01:55 PM
call & check it down in a cash game = huge LOL

that said, it's blatant collusion, violates the one player to the hand rule, and is generally extremely douchebaggy

this is the tough part about home games -- the idiots you want to play against don't know the basic rules of a live game, so if you want to play against people that *do* know the rules of a live game, they're going to be much more skilled

this is why I avoid home games whenever possible

NotThatGuy
05-20-09, 12:00 AM
Definitely a DB play.

Deftones
05-20-09, 09:04 AM
this is why I avoid home games whenever possible

i thought you "avoided" them because you don't have any friends that would invite you.

El Scorcho
05-20-09, 01:13 PM
the true reason is irrelevant

Spicollidriver1
05-20-09, 01:19 PM
When I first started reading this I saw the first part and thought for sure it was gonna be"I call, and raise you" Yes it is cheating.

WallyOPD
05-22-09, 03:23 PM
Home games are frustrating if you go into them with the expectation that you're going to be playing any kind of serious poker. They're more just an excuse to get together and get drunk while pretending to be poker studs. From blatant collusion to string bets to illegal raises ("I raise your $5 bet and make it $6 total") to players acting out of turn, it's about as close to real poker as play money games are online, just in a different way.

goodwill
05-22-09, 03:57 PM
I can' get over $20 pots in a .10/.20 game... that is a fast game...

El Scorcho
05-22-09, 04:12 PM
the only thing i love about home games with friends is that everyone thinks you're trying to bluff the fuck out of them

so they call your shove with their pocket 3s on an AKJQ2 board

mgbfan
05-23-09, 01:08 PM
What I hate about home games is the morons who insist on calling pot-building non-poker games like Guts and 7-27. That's not poker guys, it's just a way to push large amounts (relatively speaking) to random players.

Whenever I host a game, I have a "No Pot-Builders" rule. I'll allow jacks or better, trips to win, but nothing beyond that.

atari2600
06-02-09, 02:32 PM
Home games are frustrating if you go into them with the expectation that you're going to be playing any kind of serious poker. They're more just an excuse to get together and get drunk while pretending to be poker studs. From blatant collusion to string bets to illegal raises ("I raise your $5 bet and make it $6 total") to players acting out of turn, it's about as close to real poker as play money games are online, just in a different way.

i HATE when people do that...the old "ok i call...and I raise you 10 more".

they watched too many movies to learn their poker.

El Scorcho
06-02-09, 02:52 PM
^^

i don't mind that cuz saying that "I call... and raise you X" line is a lot easier for them than making a sign that says "I am a fucking idiot and will be your personal ATM tonight" to hang around their neck

Red Dog
06-02-09, 03:30 PM
What I hate about home games is the morons who insist on calling pot-building non-poker games like Guts and 7-27. That's not poker guys, it's just a way to push large amounts (relatively speaking) to random players.

Whenever I host a game, I have a "No Pot-Builders" rule. I'll allow jacks or better, trips to win, but nothing beyond that.

I love 7-27 and Guts. :lol: 3-5-7 is great too. And don't forget Acey-Deucey.

Jacks or better, trips to win drives me insane though.

rabbit77
07-22-09, 04:19 PM

I just sit it out if I'm hosting. If everyone else wants to play, have at it.

Superboy
07-29-09, 05:57 PM
I hate home games. It's fun, but it's a bad way to learn the game, and you shouldn't ever play for more money than becomes friendly.