Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does Terminator 3 get so much hate on here?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen many posts talking about how Terminator 3 sucks. I couldn't disagree more. While nowhere near as good as T2, I think it is on par with T1. It has great action, a great villain, and a great surprise ending. Yes, some of the humor is cheesy but overall I like T3 a lot.

So what is everybody's beef??
Old 05-19-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Why does Terminator 3 get so much hate on here?

I didn't think T3 was that bad. It was a pretty sweet action movie...just a lousy Terminator movie.
Old 05-19-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
I didn't think T3 was that bad. It was a pretty sweet action movie...just a lousy Terminator movie.
Exactly.

It was better than I thought it would be though. Nick Stahl and Claire Danes were enjoyable.
Old 05-19-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hate the fact that the full screen version shows more Loken nudity than the widescreen.
Old 05-19-09, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no clue either. I fully expected it to suck and ended up loving it. Yeah, its the worst of the 3 (so far) but not by much. The ending is fantastic.
Old 05-19-09, 10:08 AM

I enjoyed it a lot. More than the first
Old 05-19-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

The chase scene is one of the best action scenes I've seen.
Old 05-19-09, 11:10 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

The main antagonist paled in comparison to the liquid Terminator from T2. Once that happened, it was doomed to fail.
Old 05-19-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hapgilmore
I've seen many posts talking about how Terminator 3 sucks. I couldn't disagree more. While nowhere near as good as T2, I think it is on par with T1. It has great action, a great villain, and a great surprise ending. Yes, some of the humor is cheesy but overall I like T3 a lot.

So what is everybody's beef??
Beats me. It was a great summer popcorn movie. I liked how the Terminator could remote control vehicles and even turn Arnold against them. People really complained about the ending, but I enjoy an ending that is not typical Hollywood feel good "we killed the bad guys" type.
Old 05-19-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My main problem was that Arnold was too old. Yes, he was in shape and looked good for a 55 year old man but not a Terminator. I also didn't like how they handled the whole Sarah Connor situation.
Old 05-19-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Probably because it wasn't Cameron.

I enjoyed it, although obviously it wasn't as great as Terminator 2. I dug what they did with the ending, and really it made the future war relevant again for the upcoming 4th movie.
Old 05-19-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first saw it in theaters I really liked it, but after watching all three over the weekend, I can see why people don't like it. It has a completely different tone and feel from the first two. It's much more campy IMO, like Terminator in the strip club, TX enhancing boobs, the psychiatrist cameo, and the one-liners. Also the TX doesn't compare to the Terminator or T1000 as villains, she wasn't really intimidating or a threat. While the car chase sequence was pretty cool, I liked the two big chases in T2 better. However, I did like the ending of the film.
Old 05-19-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I couldn't understand all the T3 hate either, especially when it came out it pretty goood reviews.

I remember before the movie came out, I was badmouthing it to no end. "No Cameron, No Hamilton, No Furlong, fuck that."

Not only was it not as bad as I thought i'd be, not only was it very good, but I'd say it was just as good as the first two. The first time I saw it I thought it was surprising, the second time I thought it was amazing.

The car chase was just amazing (the best chase of that summer, better than Matrix Reloaded, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Bad Boys II), the story came together perfectly without once feeling like a contrived cash-in, it was extremely well-acted, honest, and fast-paced. I loved it.
Old 05-19-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I have no clue either. I fully expected it to suck and ended up loving it. Yeah, its the worst of the 3 (so far) but not by much. The ending is fantastic.
+1

Its one of those movies that I cant help but to stop and watch it whenever I see it while flipping channels.

I think a lot of the hate was before the movie was seen by anyone. We all heard they were making a Terminator flick with no Cameron and an over the hill Arny and everyone assumed it was going to be a disaster.
Old 05-19-09, 11:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

No Furlong was actually a PLUS for me.
Old 05-19-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
My main problem was that Arnold was too old. Yes, he was in shape and looked good for a 55 year old man but not a Terminator. I also didn't like how they handled the whole Sarah Connor situation.
I don't believe they ever showed his midsection though. Which was reportedly looked a lot like a 55 year old man.

Anyway it just didn't do anything for me though. I didn't hate it but just thought it was average and agree about Sarah Conner. Plus the villian sucked.
Old 05-19-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought it was a solid popcorn action flick that just pales in comparasion to Terminator and T2. Both movies I thought were absolute classics for the genre while T3 was just a by the numbers action movie.

As for the end
Spoiler:
I didn't like how it deemed everything that they did in T2 pointless. In T2 they stopped the war before it was going to happen and I freaking loved that ending. In T3, they just kind of decided that you can't stop the war from happening.

It almost seemed like the studios decided that they wanted another Terminator movie eventhough there was perfect closure in the second one so they screwed with the ending of T2.

Last edited by Goat3001; 05-19-09 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-19-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 729 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
It almost seemed like the studios decided that they wanted another Terminator movie eventhough there was perfect closure in the second one so they screwed with the ending of T2.
Unfortunately, it's the universal time travel paradox where one event has to happen in order for another to exist. And John Connor is that paradox. So the event, in this case Judgement Day, has to happen no matter what.
Old 05-19-09, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

A fun action movie, but wished it was a more serious sci-fi film...the whole fish-out-of-water jokes were just wearing thin...kinda why I'm looking forward to T4 getting past that formula. The only thing I really hold against it is the product placement...that AMPM shot..atrocious. And for being as expensive as it was, it sure didn't look like it onscreen...
Old 05-19-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
The car chase was just amazing (the best chase of that summer, better than Matrix Reloaded
I remember how big of a deal they were making that Matrix car chase out to be, and while I liked Reloaded more than most people, the car chase isn't necessarily a huge highlight. But I still think the car chase in Terminator 3 rocks, and I remember saying after seeing T3 that it was way better than The Matrix's chase specifically.

I like the movie. Arnold is good (although he looks visibly older), the action is excellent and the ending is great. The scene where Arnold tries to strangle Nick Stahl is pretty great. I agree that the TX sucks (maybe the appeal of a female Terminator would have been higher if she hadn't worn that ugly red suit with her hair back the entire movie -- she looks great when she comes through the time portal and totally unappealing the entire rest of the film), but I don't think that's a movie-killing problem.
Old 05-19-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Because it is not a very good movie and especially not a good Terminator movie.
Old 05-19-09, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DarthMarino
I feel the same way. Although I'm another one that didn't like the way Sarah Connor was dismissed.
Old 05-19-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Exactly.

It was better than I thought it would be though. Nick Stahl and Claire Danes were enjoyable.
It's the opposite for me. The movie as a whole is somewhat enjoyable but Stahl, Danes & Loken were abysmal choices in the casting department.

Like everyone else, I do love that chase scene though.
Old 05-19-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BullGooseLoony
The car chase was just amazing (the best chase of that summer, better than Matrix Reloaded, 2 Fast 2 Furious, and Bad Boys II), the story came together perfectly without once feeling like a contrived cash-in, it was extremely well-acted, honest, and fast-paced. I loved it.
No car chase scene was better than Bad Boys II
Old 05-19-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto alot of the sentiments above. I liked it alot as an action film. But as a Terminator movie it was rather meh.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.