Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

American Idol Top 2 Compete, May 19/20

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will win Season 8 of American Idol?
Adam Lambert will be the Season 8 American Idol
25.97%
Kris Allen will be the Season 8 American Idol
74.03%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It’s the Show Man vs. the Quiet Man tonight. Glambert vs. Boy Next Door. Screamer vs. Strummer.
And the latest news about Adam Lambert comes from his hairdresser, Raissa Patton, 42 –"He’s got the most intensely thick hair. I was shocked when I first felt it. It’s so thick, and much coarser than you would imagine," she says. As for the color? "He’s naturally a strawberry blonde." You heard it here first.

Anyway, there is a contest on tonight, who do you think will be the Season 8 American Idol?

And of course there will be a bunch of guest singers tonight and tomorrow including the return of the rest of the Top 13. On Tuesday's show, Carrie Underwood will perform her cover of Motley Crue's "Home Sweet Home" but the remainder of the show will be Lambert and Allen.

On Wednesday's show, the guest artists will be David Cook, The Black Eyed Peas, Queen Latifah, Lionel Richie, Carlos Santana, and Cyndi Lauper. Should be interesting. There is even a rumor fueled by a Scott McIntyre tweet that Michael Jackson will be performing, but this is said to be "just a rumor". And a blind guy is tweeting?

Last edited by Heat; 05-19-09 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-19-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Re: American Idol Top 2 Compete, May 19/20

I hope Kris will bring it tonight. I know Adam is the favorite with the celebrities or the media and the judges but Kris has shown he has grown over the competition and is actually current. Adam is 80s glam rock with cabaret influence. Any other year he would be slammed for being indulgent and theatrical. Kris should win but I have a feeling the producers won't allow it.
Old 05-19-09, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
I hope Kris will bring it tonight. I know Adam is the favorite with the celebrities or the media and the judges but Kris has shown he has grown over the competition and is actually current. Adam is 80s glam rock with cabaret influence. Any other year he would be slammed for being indulgent and theatrical. Kris should win but I have a feeling the producers won't allow it.
Like I said before, let Adam win. He'll be off everyone's radar in a year's time. If not less.
Old 05-19-09, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im torn here. i hate adam and dont want him to win but then again it is usually best not to win and i really like kris and hope to see him go far.

i really dont see adam selling many cds with his dated sounding vocals. sure he is good singer if you are into that style but are there that many stuck in the past acid washed jeans wearing people around to buy the cds? i think his voters are people who watch but will never buy his cd. teens might think he is cute but that will wear off. kris could actually make some good relevent music. i think kris will win...dannys votes are going to him.
Old 05-19-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keith Urban has confirmed that he will be in the finale as well.
Old 05-19-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And once again, the judges laud Adam for uniqueness and artistry...when he in fact did a the exact same carbon copy of Gary Jules' cover. And once again he gladly took credit for the composition, etc.
Old 05-19-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
And once again, the judges laud Adam for uniqueness and artistry...when he in fact did a the exact same carbon copy of Gary Jules' cover. And once again he gladly took credit for the composition, etc.
I'm Tivo'ing the show and will watch around 9:00 PM to fast forward past all the B.S. and commercials. But big fucking surprise Adam chose this song. Which is, as you mention, EXACTLY like the Gary Jules' version. And taking credit for the compostion? It makes me sick. But what makes me even more sick are the judges creaming their jeans over this guy. I don't think the guy is untalented. But he is most certainly not a pop singer. As I said before, stick him on the stage playing "Hedwig" and I'd be there in a New York minute.
Old 05-19-09, 07:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How can they say this this is live when Randy just said he hopes the Lakers "win tonight" which was sunday night?
Old 05-19-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EEz28
How can they say this this is live when Randy just said he hopes the Lakers "win tonight" which was sunday night?
Because the playoffs didn't end on Sunday.
Old 05-19-09, 07:47 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
Because the playoffs didn't end on Sunday.
duh, I forgot they began the western conferance final, I was thinking of the beat down on the Rockets. thanks.
Old 05-19-09, 08:16 PM

Good strategy on Lambert's part - Mad World will be new to some people after the showrunners f'd up the run time on the show.

Got real tired of Adam's screeching. And I didn't like either Adam's or Kris' middle performance, because I thought neither brought the gravitas necessary to either song. And the final song, Kara's No Boundries, I thought Adam screeched and I don't think Kris rose above the song.

I find it ironic that Simon was killing Taylor Hicks for being more of a showman in Season 5, but he loves Adam for it. Go figure.

TK
Old 05-19-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At least the judges played it cool. "Adam, you're an international superstar." "Kris, you're a good kid."
Old 05-19-09, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Adam doing Mad World tonight reminded me of when I saw Robert Cuccioli in Jekyll and Hyde singing "Facade" on Broadway... only problem is.. Mr. Lambert is no Mr. Cuccioli, he's his stand in.

I was waiting for the rest of his cast to join him on stage to begin the next act.
Simon was absolutely right: Very, very theatrical.
Old 05-19-09, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts

Saw nothing tonight to change my mind. Kris was the better performer through out the year.

I like that version of Mad World; it's a great song, but it was way, way, way over the top theatrical, and I felt like Kris really emotionally connected with Ain't No Sunshine.

I suppose Adam did a little better in round 2 though he managed once again to combine what I like about him with what I can't stand about him all in one song. What's Goin' On is an iconic song, but I don't really know what Kris was supposed to do with that. He did all he could with it, but it was just alright. Simon Fuller certainly didn't do him any favors.

Third song...really didn't like the song for either of them, but I thought Kris sang it better.
Old 05-19-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

im not watching yet but i want to vote. what numbers do i call?
Old 05-19-09, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Well, I have so far managed to avoid watching American Idol this season until now. Had some friends over at house who wanted to watch it, so I get stuck watching with them.

Impression one... I love how Simon sort of slammed Kara's song. (Which was awful, btw.)

Impression two... I though Carrie Underpants was supposed to be one of the better winners. Her cover of "Home Sweet Home" sucked pig cock. Terrible.

Impression three... Couldn't care less who wins. Adam seemed to be the slightly better singer and performer despite coming off like a poseur, but seems to have a lot of baggage with those here? Kris seems to be one of those capable but dull as dirt singers that the Idol crowd eats up. Doubt I'll watch tomorrow.
Old 05-19-09, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
im not watching yet but i want to vote. what numbers do i call?
Adam- 1-866-IDOLS-01 OR 03 OR 05
Chris- 1-866-IDOLS-02 OR 04 OR 06
Old 05-19-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Only half way through, but for all the "artistry" they talk about with Adam, Kris has a ton of artistry and has grown a lot in the competition, that version of "What's Going On" was seriously good, I don't think I have idol music so far, but with that one and "aint no sunshine", I might have to break down. Also, never voted before but might break that trend as well, do you have to be with AT&T to do the text voting?
Old 05-19-09, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TabascoKid

I find it ironic that Simon was killing Taylor Hicks for being more of a showman in Season 5, but he loves Adam for it. Go figure.

TK
I have been telling my family the same thing the whole season. Simon just hated Taylor. I get upset every time Simon tells Adam how much he loves his showmanship, he told Taylor AI is a singing competition.
Old 05-19-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

It took three people to write "No Boundaries".
Old 05-19-09, 11:40 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Keith Urban has confirmed that he will be in the finale as well.
Awesome. I loved him in Star Trek.
Old 05-20-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Koffeehouse Kris needs to keep slumming in the lower octaves, he got sung off the stage by Adam tonight, but I fear the voters will pull a Taylor Hicks and push Kris over the top, and that might be the best thing to happen to Adam.
Old 05-20-09, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What is with the uber-lame finale "singles"? Honestly, I think 2nd place is the real winner, because he won't have to release that god-awful piece of mountain-climbing trash.

Honestly, every season it's rainbows and mountains and just absurdly cliche garbage.
Old 05-20-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I completely understand your dislike for Adam, but I think your personal feelings got in the way with what you actually saw tonight. Not a single judge said anything about his performance of 'Mad World' being unique, nor did he take credit for any composition. I think you should rewatch the judging, as I just did to make sure I didn't miss something.

A couple of annoyances of mine:
1. Why does Adam look like he is about to cry at the end of every performance?
2. Why does Kara scream angrily whenever she judges?

I'd rather Kris win, just for the fact that he isn't extremely annoying and he actually seems like a real person. Whereas Adam is a record producers wet dream...no heart, no soul, just ready to be molded into what is popular (see Twilight).
Old 05-20-09, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should have made the final 2 sing a duet. LOL!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.