VELVET ASSASSIN: The Official Thread

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't see a thread about this game & I've been waiting for it to come out for a while. Best Buy has a June 1st release date on it but I saw it today so I rented it...what a waste of $2.99.

Well, it really is that bad. Graphically, regular xbox at best. Everything that you need to do, like climb, jump, pick up items, open doors, etc... has the A button light up, which really dumbs the game down because even if you don't see something, it basically gives it to you.

You have to sneak up on enemies for a silent kill, which is "PRESS A" then a cinematic (every time). The X button makes you hop up on some morphine for a couple of seconds, which strangely enough must mess up your enemies because they can't see or hit you when you're juiced (retarded). The right bumper makes you crouch at a snail's pace, and the left bumper is a flashlight. The B button let's you drag bodies, and the left/right triggers are for aiming and attacking. Speaking of...the gun-play is so fucking horrible. Aiming is like trying to get the bead on a housefly with a BB gun and attacking with the knife is too slow. You can slice them once, then they usually shoot you, then you slice another one or two times, then they shoot you, etc...

Now for the real disappointment of this bag o' shit...The AI. Let's say there are three patrolling soldiers, all within 15 feet of each other. You take one out via silenced pistol and the others look around for a couple seconds, then go back to patrolling. Kill the power? ...Nothing strange here, let's keep patrolling in the dark. They walk the exact same short patrol endlessly until you decide to kill them, and sometimes you have to wait for two guards to disperse before you can kill them, but first you have to listen to their horrendous dialogue, and I quote..." I know you stole my chocolate bar and I will turn you in and you will be put against the wall for it, you thief!"...pathetic.

I think my last major gripe is the broken save system. You're strolling through the level...you find a couple collectibles, a medpack, kill some guys, travel from here to there, then die. Well, guess what? You get to go all the way back to the last save point, which is usually way-the-fuck back, and you have to re-collect everything again, and I mean everything. You don't have an option to save, and the few autosaves that it does just simply aren't often enough.

Your character starts out with shitty sneak skill/speed, you can only carry one morphine syringe, and you pretty much die in one or two shots. After you find so many collectible items, you get to upgrade one attribute one time, then find more & repeat.

Now for the good stuff...umm, the game has achievements!!!! The downside to that is you actually have to play this shitfest to get them. They do seem to be fairly easy to get so far, and I'm going to at least try to end up with 400 or so, if I can stomach it that long. I hate having to repeat the same shit over & over after you die.

So, that's my review. I'm going to give it a 2 outta 10. Please, don't waste your time. Catch up on some other games, beat the wife & kids, or rip off some irritating hangnails before you consider playing this game. I haven't been this disappointed since the last time I played my Wii.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 05-17-09 at 08:04 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: VELVET ASSASSIN: The Official Thread

I was looking forward to this game... then the reviews came out and killed all my hopes for the game. If I join Gamefly again I'll be sure to rent it.

But yeah, I was going to start a thread but the game didn't seem worthy of one.
Old 05-17-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

It sounded good but I saw a promo with game footage and it looked like crap and it also didn't look all that fun.

Here's a review for those interested, or too anxious to wait for the OP's take on it.

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360...t-Assassin/p1/

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-17-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-17-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I still want to try this game, reviews been all over, Game trailers review wasnt too bad and it looks interesting
Old 05-17-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

The few sites that I checked out gave it a 3/5, which is way too generous. I've been waiting for it since last year and the trailer did make it look interesting, but man, what a let down.

Last edited by dvdsteve2000; 05-18-09 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
Well, it really is that bad. Graphically, regular xbox at best.
I had put that in my original post but I deleted it figuring you guys would think I was exaggerating.