Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Return of the Summer Slump

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-09, 11:53 AM

Received 515 Likes on 371 Posts
Return of the Summer Slump

Last summer there were so many great titles being released. GTA4, MGS4, Soul Caliber 4, Battlefield: Bad Company, Ninja Gaiden 2. Records were broken. Game critics were declaring an end to summer slumps. "2008 proves that gamers will spend money throughout the entire year".

Here we are in Summer 2009, and I can't find anything I want to buy. Nothing has me excited until November.

So where are all the good games? Is there anything you're looking forward to buying this summer?
Old 05-16-09, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Return of the Summer Slump

Not much of a slump for me. These are all the games in my Gamefly queue that are coming out in the next few months. I'm sure there will be others I add as the time gets closer.

UFC 2009 Undisputed 5/18/2009
Terminator: Salvation 5/19/2009
Infamous 5/26/2009
Prototype 6/9/2009
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits 6/14/2009
Ghostbusters 6/18/2009
Overlord II 6/25/2009
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood 6/30/2009
Fight Night Round 4 7/1/2009
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger 7/2/2009
Old 05-16-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm doing ok, just because I still have such a large back log of games. For everyone complaining about too many games coming out during the last Christmas, here's your chance!
Old 05-16-09, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm doing ok, just because I still have such a large back log of games. For everyone complaining about too many games coming out during the last Christmas, here's your chance!
That's the one thing about the gaming press that drives me a little crazy, and that is a lack of perspective they exhibit from time to time. I personally don't game that much, so I might not be so qualified to speak on this, but I don't see how anyone could conceivable play every game they wanted that came out in a given year. So it seems like, as you suggest, you use this time to "catch up" on all of that "flood" everyone talks about around X-mas time.
Old 05-16-09, 01:25 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish it was a slump, as I have 20-25 titles I want to pick up over the next couple months.
Old 05-16-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,204 Likes on 4,231 Posts

inFamous (PS3)
Ghostbusters (360)
Batman Arkham Asylum (PS3)
Rock Band Unplugged (PSP)
Overlord 2 (360)

Will keep me pretty busy
Old 05-16-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn
Not much of a slump for me. These are all the games in my Gamefly queue that are coming out in the next few months. I'm sure there will be others I add as the time gets closer.

UFC 2009 Undisputed 5/18/2009
Guitar Hero: Smash Hits 6/14/2009
Fight Night Round 4 7/1/2009
I prefer this summer much more. In addition to the three above, Tiger Woods on 360 and Wii, Virtua Tennis 2009, Grand Slam Tennis, and Punchout.
Old 05-16-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by thelwig14
I prefer this summer much more. In addition to the three above, Tiger Woods on 360 and Wii, Virtua Tennis 2009, Grand Slam Tennis, and Punchout.
I had absolutely no idea Virua Tennis had a new game coming out. That's pretty sweet.
Old 05-16-09, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I had absolutely no idea Virua Tennis had a new game coming out. That's pretty sweet.

I am going to get the 360 version because of the graphics.

I have always loved VT....and VT 2009 fixed the biggest issue with 3 (the diving). In addition, the roster is amazing and the animations have been heavily increased. No brainer purchase for me.

Regardless, my bets are hedged with Virtua Tennis and Grand Slam Tennis (360 later in the year). One has to be amazing.
Old 05-16-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

On order I have:

UFC
Ghostbusters
Infamous

Plus there are many more games I'm looking forward to seeing.
Old 05-16-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 120 Likes on 108 Posts

I think Ghostbusters and Red Faction will keep me busy for awhile and throw in a handful of current and older I want to play again or thru co-op ...no problem
Old 05-16-09, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll definitely be getting inFamous and possibly Prototype. But other than that, there's not much coming this summer that I'm looking forward to, so I'll probably check out some of the games I never got around to or (gasp) spending some time outside the house this summer.
Old 05-16-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

This is also an excellent time for MS and Sony to start releasing some great XBLA or PSN games. Points are always available to buy, lots of people have points burning a whole in their wallet, and a perceived slower season would probably spawn a lot of impulse purchases. (Of course, same logic says its also a could time to churn out some crap, because "they're hungry, they'll buy anything").
I'm not really sure what I'm looking forward to.
Ghostbusters
Brutal Planet
Prototype is looking pretty cool.
maybe Batman AA
And like has been said, this is a good time to revisit some titles I haven't finished, that maybe aren't AAA titles, but are worth playing; or finally picking up some recent hits that I missed.
Old 05-16-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ghostbusters is my only possible Week 1 purchase, depending on reviews and word-of-mouth. Batman's been delayed to September. I'm interested in GH: Smash Hits and GH: Van Halen, but not for $60 each. Will wait for Christmas-time sales for those two.

So yeah, slow summer for me, at least in terms of new releases, but it'll be a great time to get caught up on stuff from last fall that's just now going on sale. I'll stay busy.
Old 05-16-09, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I haven't paid attention, I jumped off the release bandwagon some time ago.

Currently I'm in the middle of Persona 4 and Suikoden Tierkreis DS.

On my pile I have:
Dark Cloud 2
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Banjo Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts ($10 PlayAsia)
Too Human ($10 PlayAsia)
Ys 2 on the DS
The Darkness and Oblivion (both picked up for cheap to casually check out)
Tales of the Heart DS
Penny Arcade Episode 1
Theresia DS
iPod games galore

Also, I might buy Space Invaders on XBLA. No slump round here!
Old 05-16-09, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No slump here.
I have:
Infinite Undiscovery
Silent Hill: Homecoming
Resident Evil 5

plus a few more cheap ones I haven't bought yet and I'm still playing Bad Company like I just bought it yesterday.
Old 05-16-09, 07:19 PM

Im looking forward to Infamous, Punch Out, BlazBlu, King of Fighters XII, Marvel vs Capcom 2. Those game will keep me busy for awhile.
Old 05-16-09, 07:31 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
That's me!
Old 05-16-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

i'll wait for ghostbusters reviews. really the only thing that had me interested was batman.
Old 05-16-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm interesting in probably a half dozen that people have been listing, but none are day one purchases for me. I have a big enough backlog to catch up on and Gamefly to play the one's I'm on the fence about.
Old 05-16-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

This should be called the Summer of Broke because there are a lot of titles coming out I'm interested in playing. It seems like a repeat of last October-December when we had tons of games come out like RB2, Dead Space, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, GH: World Tour. Thank God for the TRUS B2G1Free that went on during that time so I was able to swoop up some games that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford. If that happens again I could easily see myself pick up 6-9 titles this summer.
Old 05-16-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I either bought or rented damn-near every big game that came out last fall. The ones I rented may get another go so I can grab some more achievements. The ones that I bought get weeded in when I'm not renting, XBLA fills in some short-term space, and I'm also working on some older backlog titles. As I type this, I'm bunkered in an empty store as Frank West sucking down some OJ and eating pizza as I try to get the 5 & 7 day survivor achievements on Dead Rising. I think the flags of Assassin's Creed are next on the agenda, and I need 7 more songs to finish expert on GH2.

As for some 'on the shelf' games...Lego Indy, Star Wars FU, Fallout 3, Left4Dead, RE5, and the new Burnout stuff will keep me more than busy until Tiger 2010 comes out. I haven't played Halo 3 in quite some time (haven't even played the new maps yet), and I still haven't played the new COD maps except the zombie one (and new ones come out soon).

I only use my PS3 for BR movies, and the Wii is a joke, but the 360 alone has more than enough to keep me busy, and I'm sure by Xmas I'll be bitching that there are too many games that I don't have time to play......again.
I need to hit the freakin lottery so I can just hang out and play some games, lol.
Old 05-16-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

no slump here

I am so so excited for Ghostbusters

also looking forward to

inFamous
Batman Arkham Asylum
Red Faction
Prototype

and I have a HUGE Backlog of games I want to play, probably will never get far in many of them though..

PC games..
The Witcher enchanced edition
Fallout 3
Crysis
Empire Total WAr
Assassins Creed
Company of Heroes
Command and Conquer 3
World in Conflict
tomb raider Anniversary
Mount and Blade
Left 4 Dead

Console games..
GTA4
Mass Effect
Silent Hill Home Coming
lost Odessy
Dead Space

and a bunch of other games
Old 05-16-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FatTony
I'll definitely be getting inFamous and possibly Prototype. But other than that, there's not much coming this summer that I'm looking forward to, so I'll probably check out some of the games I never got around to or (gasp) spending some time outside the house this summer.
Same here, considering inFamous & Prototype but other than that I don't see anything else this summer. Still need to play some of my other games anyway.
Old 05-16-09, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

I've learned the hard way about buying games when they first come out. I usually play them for a few hours and then put them away for a few weeks. Too many games backlogged, by the time I get back to the games they have a price drop. Hell I have ps1 games that I have yet to finish

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.