Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pioneer 626: Opinions?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pioneer 626: Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-00, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a power buy at Mercata...Can get this for under $300 w/shipping and mercata $$ but only have a short time to decide. For a second player (bedroom) and it plays cd-r and cd-rw...how would this work???

For those interested in the powerbuy it's 369.05 right now... 4 hrs and change to go
http://www.mercata.com/cgi-bin/merca...ki.0&OID=19094
Old 05-11-00, 11:21 PM
BEC

It's a really nice machine. Around Christmas I was trying to decide between the Pioneer 525 and 626. Had both in my home. I chose the 525 because I didn't think the 626's extra's were worth $150 extra (decoder, gamma control, little better remote, better FF scanning, a little quieter ...). Both had excellent picture quality (a bit better than my Toshiba 2109). Today 525's run around $200 - still a $100 difference. You have a great receiver (Sr-8000) and universal remote, so some of the 626's feature might not matter.

For $220 or less you could get more bang for your buck w/a Toshiba 3109 also from Mercata. Picture isn't quite as good (color rendition), but you'll get better features (zoom, smoother scans,twin trays) for less money. $80-$100 gets you cd-r and a little better picture (some extra video tweaking nobs too), but the features aren't as nice.

Old 05-12-00, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks. Really appreciate your input. Actually NOT running it off my HT setup which is why I did not post it. Just going to run it in the bedroom as a stand alone. The tosh is a possibility though.

However, I am considering getting a multiregion DVD player that I can rig to play a PAL signal on an NTSC TV for my HT as another alternative. Then moving my Sony to the bedroom.

Too much of a hassle to hook the SR-8000 up to the bedroom though it is possible, just not practical the way my house floorplan was designed.
Old 05-12-00, 01:04 AM
BEC

Doesn't the Apex change PAL to NTSC?
Anyway, here's a DVD FAQ's link that has some discussion about NTSC/PAL:
http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#1.19

Supreme video has multi-region players (for an extra $100-$150 on top of their usual prices). You can try their tech support to see if their players will take region 4 Pal to NTSC.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 11, 2000).]
Old 05-12-00, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Merci Beaucoup BEC. If it can be done, then I have major interest. Supreme is also in PC, so if PC ever gets off it's butt and pays, then I might get a discount to boot plus I have a few bucks saved up there too.

100-150 for a player that will work (preferably without other external devices) the way I need and it will be a happy day. I cannot get ANY FORMAT that I can currently use of my AFL stuff. (GO N. MELBOURNE KANGAROOS!)

Will check with Supreme soon and if it works, will try to remember to post and let you know.