Community
Search
DVD Bargains Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs

B&N 50% off DVD Sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-09, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B&N 50% off DVD Sale

Just received an email from Barnes & Noble for 50% off (on-line) DVD's plus members get their extra 10% off as well;

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/coll...?r=1&PID=20702
Old 05-14-09, 03:42 PM

Re: B&N 50% off DVD Sale

wow, that's like 1/2 off
Old 05-14-09, 03:44 PM

unless you're in canada, then with conversion rate, that's like 85% off
Old 05-14-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the military link for 6% off, and a coupon for 10% off, it's more like 58% off (for non-members)
Old 05-14-09, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Are any Criterions part of this sale?
Old 05-14-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

nice deal on the Predator triple feature.
Old 05-14-09, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just ordered Stacked Complete Series for $8.07 shipped (with military link and 15% off members coupon). Kitchen Confidential would be the same price... Pretty decent deal.
Old 05-14-09, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kenbenobi
With the military link for 6% off, and a coupon for 10% off, it's more like 58% off (for non-members)
What is the link for military 6% off and 10% off?
Old 05-14-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 311 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know if this was already addressed in the B&N coupon thread and I don't mean to be the morality police, but I believe the B&N military link is only intended to be used by members of the military, veterans and their families.

Now, B&N doesn't put any protection in place to prevent others from using it, so one might argue that B&N gets what they deserve when others take advantage. That being said, if B&N notices the link being abused, they may remove that discount privilege for military personnel. Just something to think about.
Old 05-14-09, 06:07 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

I started to use the visa 5 percent link when they asked what branch of military that you are in. It wasnt worth it to me for 1 percent extra.
Old 05-14-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davron
Just received an email from Barnes & Noble for 50% off (on-line) DVD's plus members get their extra 10% off as well;

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/coll...?r=1&PID=20702
BN used to get so much of my business. It was this time a year ago that they had amazing deals on tv boxsets. Now we get Reba for 13 bucks?? A year ago, they offered Have Gun will Travel Season 1-3 for 44 bucks. That was a good deal. This sale sucks big time.
Old 05-14-09, 08:13 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

You can get the mgm/fox movies that DD or DVDplanet has for 6.99 plus many more titles delivered by expedited ups. Ive ordered new releases North west Frontier, Manhunt, song is born and Goldwyn follies for 6.99 each and received the ones that shipped in 3 days or less. Great service and price on those.
Old 05-14-09, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kefrank
I don't know if this was already addressed in the B&N coupon thread and I don't mean to be the morality police, but I believe the B&N military link is only intended to be used by members of the military, veterans and their families.

Now, B&N doesn't put any protection in place to prevent others from using it, so one might argue that B&N gets what they deserve when others take advantage. That being said, if B&N notices the link being abused, they may remove that discount privilege for military personnel. Just something to think about.
I highly doubt B&N would shut it down but it is possible they could tighten up the requirements who uses the link in the future, sort of like they did with the AAA link by making you sign up on their web site first with a valid membership. You have to log into your AAA account before you can get to the B&N link now.

As long as the military.com link is wide open to anyone who knows about it I think it is fair game to use until B&N decides they believe too much unauthorized usage is occurring. There are several other links on the B&N coupon page you can use instead but you could make the same argument not you use them either because they are intended for someone else. On occasion I've used the Visa link but paid with a Mastercard. I believe the burden is on B&N to make changes if they don't want anyone using the links.

Originally Posted by g
I started to use the visa 5 percent link when they asked what branch of military that you are in. It wasnt worth it to me for 1 percent extra.
I have occasionally gotten asked that when checking out with the military.com link and never had any problems. But I do notice I get spam now and then addressed from military.com in my junk folder for different offers.
Old 05-14-09, 09:06 PM

[QUOTE=LASERMOVIES;9444930]I highly doubt B&N would shut it down but it is possible they could tighten up the requirements who uses the link in the future, sort of like they did with the AAA link by making you sign up on their web site first with a valid membership. You have to log into your AAA account before you can get to the B&N link now.

As long as the military.com link is wide open to anyone who knows about it I think it is fair game to use until B&N decides they believe too much unauthorized usage is occurring. There are several other links on the B&N coupon page you can use instead but you could make the same argument not you use them either because they are intended for someone else. On occasion I've used the Visa link but paid with a Mastercard. I believe the burden is on B&N to make changes if they don't want anyone using the links.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some people have morals and some don't..If people are too chicken to
serve in the military then so be it..Blaming B&N because they don't check and
it is fair game is the typical cop out..shows the dishonestly some people have.
Old 05-14-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Once again, a low price on the Hitchcock Premiere Collection has me on the fence - $48.18 with a 15% off coupon on top of the current sale price, plus 8% from Live Cashback. If it wasn't for that damn packaging, I would pull the trigger without hesitation.

Last edited by NoirFan; 05-14-09 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-14-09, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by disneyguy
serve in the military then so be it
..Blaming B&N because they don't check and it is fair game is the typical cop out..shows the dishonestly some people have.
That has to be one of the silliest comments I've ever read on this forum and discredits any serious discussion on this subject from you. Thanks for a good laugh.
Old 05-15-09, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by disneyguy
serve in the military then so be it..Blaming B&N because they don't check and
it is fair game is the typical cop out..shows the dishonestly some people have.
I voted for Bush. That should be good enough.
Old 05-15-09, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by dvd polizei
i voted for bush. That should be good enough.
sucker!!
Old 05-15-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am a veteran having served in the Marine Corps for close to 14 years. Can someone tell me about this military link?
Old 05-15-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MScottM
I am a veteran having served in the Marine Corps for close to 14 years. Can someone tell me about this military link?
With pleasure. It along with the other discount links and current B&N coupons can be found here in this thread.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-part-2-a.html
Old 05-15-09, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
That has to be one of the silliest comments I've ever read on this forum and discredits any serious discussion on this subject from you. Thanks for a good laugh.
Might be silly to u,,,just shows my point..GA and laugh..
Old 05-15-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MScottM
www.bn.com/military
You get 6% off, plus free shipping with NO minimum. You can still use coupons with it...

I've never been asked what brand of the military I am in like a previous poster said. It might be a random thing. Or perhaps I answered that question years ago, and it just remembered my answer. I dunno...

In regards to morals like a previous poster said, that is ridiculous. There is absolutely NOTHING on this webpage that says you need to be in the military to use the link. It is just a webpage called "the Military bookstore". So you can stick your morals in a sack, mister. They aren't needed here...

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-15-09 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-15-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is absolutely NOTHING on this webpage that says you need to be in the military to use the link. It is just a webpage called "the Military bookstore".
LMAO - So do you apply that logic in everyday life, too???

"Sorry ma'am. It just said 'Women's Restroom', I didn't know you had to be a lady to use it!"

Give me a break
Old 05-15-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wildman1037
LMAO - So do you apply that logic in everyday life, too???

"Sorry ma'am. It just said 'Women's Restroom', I didn't know you had to be a lady to use it!"

Give me a break
Oh, so I have to be from Boston to eat at Boston Market, or from Kentucky to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? Your analogy doesn't hold any water. You are stating common knowledge. You learn about restrooms growing up because there are LAWS/RULES. There is absolutely no LAW or RULE about using the military website. If B&N stated such a rule, I would agree with you. But if they don't state a rule (which they have not), your statement has no validity. You can't come to a CONCLUSION based solely upon the name of a website, name on a sign, etc. That's just stupid. I guess you can have whatever opinion you want, but without rules stated, there is nothing wrong with using that website.

Last edited by kenbenobi; 05-15-09 at 02:43 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, so I have to be from Boston to eat at Boston Market, or from Kentucky to eat at Kentucky Fried Chicken? Your analogy doesn't hold any water. You are stating common knowledge. You learn about restrooms growing up because there are LAWS/RULES. There is absolutely no LAW or RULE about using the military website. If B&N stated such a rule, I would agree with you. But if they don't state a rule (which they have not), your statement has no validity. You can't come to a CONCLUSION based solely upon the name of a website, name on a sign, etc. That's just stupid. I guess you can have whatever opinion you want, but without rules stated, there is nothing wrong with using that website.
Your analogy is the one that doesn't hold water. We have different restrooms, because there is one for each sex, male/female. Likewise, Barnes and Noble has 2 different websites, one for military people, and one for non-military people. If they didn't want it that way, there would be no point for them to have TWO different websites. Why wouldn't they just offer the 6% discount to EVERYONE?

Last edited by wildman1037; 05-15-09 at 03:02 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.