DVD Talk
So how long before I get my driver's license back (IL) [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : So how long before I get my driver's license back (IL)

amd555
05-12-09, 08:13 PM
I just pulled over for speeding( in Cook County, Illinois). I was going 46 in a 25. I will send in a check tomorrow ( $95 ticket). Right now I have a ticket as the police officer said that I'll get my license back in the mail after the fine is paid.

My question is when can I get that back based on your experience?

Nifty03
05-12-09, 08:26 PM
I didn't know they could do that.

vedderone
05-12-09, 08:35 PM
Taken from the Illinois state police website

Bail for speeding more than 20 miles per hour over the posted limit, but not more than 30 miles per hour over the posted limit, is $95 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her current Illinois driver's license or an approved bond certificate. Bail for speeding more than 30 miles per hour over the posted speed limit is $105 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her driver's license or an approved bond certificate. Bail for failure to use safety belts is $55 cash or in lieu of such amount, his/her current Illinois driver's license or an approved bond certificate.

TomOpus
05-12-09, 08:41 PM
How did you get home?

amd555
05-12-09, 08:43 PM
How did you get home?

I drove home, I've had people UI work with driving with tickets and as far as I know I can drive on them .

Numanoid
05-12-09, 09:02 PM
Yeah, that's standard in Illinois. You can use the ticket as a substitute for a license until you get it back. In the old days, my under 21 friends used them to get into the bars by changing the birthdate (cops usually write fairly illegibly). Never had one myself so I don't know how long the process is.

rocketsauce
05-12-09, 09:22 PM
Yeah, that's standard in Illinois. You can use the ticket as a substitute for a license until you get it back. In the old days, my under 21 friends used them to get into the bars by changing the birthdate (cops usually write fairly illegibly). Never had one myself so I don't know how long the process is.

As a former doorman at a bar I can tell you I pissed off a lot of underage college douchebags when I told them we didn't take tickets as a form of ID.

I can't remember how long it takes, the last one I got was when I first got my license.

If you have a triple A card you can use that as a bond card instead of them taking your license. Saved me from being able to go the bars a few times.

al_bundy
05-12-09, 09:24 PM
i speed along with everyone else, but i never drive this fast when there are houses and people around

amd555
05-12-09, 09:47 PM
i speed along with everyone else, but i never drive this fast when there are houses and people around

There is no one there. It is smaller road yes, but it has complexes on the left and river on the right. There is no one ever walking there. I have driven this road to get to and from work for 4 1/2 years, and I've probably driven twice as fast on an early am mornings(rarely). Look at the google map of the area.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=6833+n+kedzie,+chicago&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=DCYKSs_sJI6gMvuEiOAL&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

Just drag the "streetview" fuy on to Kedzie to see what it looks like, if you care.

antennaball
05-12-09, 10:14 PM
I drove home, I've had people UI work with driving with tickets and as far as I know I can drive on them .

I've read this post 5 times and I still can't figure it out.

drmoze
05-12-09, 10:41 PM
I've read this post 5 times and I still can't figure it out.

He said that he works with other people ("UI"=I) who have also been ticketed and had their licenses taken away, and those people have driven cars with just the ticket, so he believes it is OK to do.

rocketsauce
05-12-09, 10:41 PM
I've always wondered how people get a speeding ticket in the city. Cops essentially let you go with traffic. On my way home from work I can get up to 45-50 on Irving Park and that's just trying to keep up with everyone else

Case01
05-12-09, 11:44 PM
I've always wondered how people get a speeding ticket in the city. Cops essentially let you go with traffic. On my way home from work I can get up to 45-50 on Irving Park and that's just trying to keep up with everyone else

meh I see plenty of cops always snaggin someone on Western near Peterson. In rush hour though trying to pull over a speeder would just be foolish,luckily they usually don't.

Also to the OP invest in a bond card or even that AAA card if it in fact does work the same way. You can keep your license should anything like this ever happen again. You won't have to show a ticket like a schmuck.

rabbit77
05-13-09, 12:04 AM
To answer your question - since you plead guilty and mail in the check, you should get your driver's license back in the time it takes for them to receive the check and process the paperwork - no more than a couple weeks from my experience.

http://www.cookcountycourt.org/traffic_court/faq/drivers_license_info3.html

Don't forget to request court supervision and do the traffic school - it's worth it to keep your driving record clean.

http://www.cookcountycourt.org/traffic_court/traffic_ticket/content.html

mndtrp
05-13-09, 12:11 AM
If you lose your license, you can still drive around with the ticket acting as a license? What's the point of that?

rabbit77
05-13-09, 12:19 AM
If you lose your license, you can still drive around with the ticket acting as a license? What's the point of that?

He didn't lose his license as in his driving privelges were revoked or suspended, it was just put up as bond until the fine is paid or his day in court. He could have put up cash in lieu of his driver's license, but the cops tend to not let you know of that option as they write up your ticket.

mndtrp
05-13-09, 12:25 AM
Interesting. I've never had that happen. I've just been handed a ticket or summons, and then been sent on my merry (but slower) way.

chino77
05-13-09, 01:37 AM

50 on irving! slow the hell down.

rocketsauce
05-13-09, 09:44 AM
50 on irving! slow the hell down.

That's a rarity, but I was keeping up with traffic.

Jeeden
05-13-09, 10:23 AM
Also to the OP invest in a bond card or even that AAA card if it in fact does work the same way. You can keep your license should anything like this ever happen again. You won't have to show a ticket like a schmuck.

Yup, excellent perk to the AAA membership. In some states in small towns they will take you to the slammer until you pay the fine because they feel your going to leave town (since your just driving through) and won't ever send them the money. Nice to have the AAA bond in case that happens.

gfoots
05-13-09, 11:53 PM

It might be easier to just get an Illinois state ID to while the license is being held. I think they're about $5 at the DMV.

rocketsauce
05-14-09, 10:16 AM
That's exactly what I would do, just leave it at home so if you lose your wallet you have something then if/when you ever need you can grab it.

MovieMaster11
05-15-09, 04:08 AM
Kind of unrelated but I was wondering how much it costs for an IL license? I just moved back here a couple months ago and still have a Delaware license.

rabbit77
05-15-09, 08:16 AM
driver's license: $10
Plate: $78

Heat
05-15-09, 10:05 AM
You'll get your license back when you either pay the fine, or show up at court and get the ticket dismissed.

And do show up - you'll be offered a chance to do something to get out of the ticket, either traffic school, "court supervision", or possibly something else. It will cost you $25 to $50 over the price of the ticket but you won't have the ticket on your record and your insurance company won't find out about it.

"Court Supervision" is basically ticket probation. If you don't get another ticket in the stated amount of time (30 or 60 days) the first ticket goes away. If you do get a ticket then the first ticket comes back.

My favorite method of dealing with speeding tickets is how Missouri does (or at least used to do) it - they will drop the speeding ticket and give you a larger fine for a non-moving violation. Thus your $75 speeding ticket becomes a $100 loud muffler violation, or a $125 loud radio violation.