Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

So Best Buy can't adjust a price on a online order before it ships?(And other issues)

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

So Best Buy can't adjust a price on a online order before it ships?(And other issues)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I always thought the reputation of Best Buy's customer service was some what exaggerated. My local store is awesome and very helpful. However, I recently had to deal with corporate customer service when I had online issues. It wasn't fun.

So I ordered the Star Trek Season 1 and Star Trek Movie collections (on Blu-Ray)together on bestbuy.com because they offered $15 off online. (I also got free shipping for being a silver rewards member)

Anyway, the first problem started when they shipped me a copy of Nickelodeon's Hotel for Dogs instead of the Season 1 set. Having never had to return something to BB though the mail, I called customer service as suggested on my invoice. The woman I got could not instruct me on what to do or if I had to pay to ship it back, or even if it would effect the promotion.

I ended up returning it to my local store, who's employees extremely nice, helpful, and about the complete opposite of Best Buy's customer service reputation. They gladly exchanged it for me. They said they couldn't say for sure, but that shouldn't disrupt or change the remaining portion of my order in anyway.

Along the way I activated a new debit card and called customer service to have them change the card number on my order. That went smoothly, no complaints.

Then today I wondered why my order had not shipped. I checked my status on bb.com and noticed that the price on the remaining item in my order was increased over 8 dollars. They had not told me they were increasing the amount they were charging my card, and had I not checked the status page, I would not have known untill I got my invoice in my package.

I immediately called customer service and the woman on there told me it was because of the promotion. Somehow Best Buy sending me the wrong item invalidated the promotion. Yes, their mistake cost me. (Note as of now, the promotion is still on the site, and I did order the 2 items together, which is the requirement of the promo) I also then noticed that the price on the site was now $10 cheaper (Yes, I was now out about $18.50). I asked her if since the item was back ordered and I had not been charged, would she please at least correct that. She told me I would have to wait until I got it and then call back for a price adjustment. At this point I told her to cancel the order. She told me all she could do was switch it to instore pick up.

So now I'm sitting here, out $8.50, having to drive into the store and get a price match there. I've been stewing on this for a while, and I'm going to go to the store and cancel this if I can not get my promotion honored. (Hopefully they will honor it, as I said, my local store is much more understanding)

Frankly, I am appalled that Best Buy had increased the amount they were charging my card with out notifying me of it. I'm pretty sure that isn't legal.

Note: Best Buy does their promotions by spitting it amongst the items. So I got $6.50 of the promotion, which they took off the first item. For some reason though, when I got the wrong thing and exchanged it for the correct item, that invalidated the other $8.50 they were going to take of this preordered item.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 05-12-09 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-13-09, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So Best Buy can't adjust a price on a online order before it ships?(And other iss

I would just be patient and call back a couple of times and you'll get your 8 bucks back, however I would really be pissed off if I got "Hotel For Dogs" instead of a Star Trek complete season. They usually will bend over backwards for their silver members.
Old 05-13-09, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: So Best Buy can't adjust a price on a online order before it ships?(And other iss

I ended up posting this on Best Buy's forum, and a customer service rep on there responded with this:

It is true that if one part of a promotional item is returned, that the rest of the package would recharge at the original, higher price. HOWEVER, because the reason you had to return the first package was in no way your fault and you still ended up getting the item, our BestBuy.com team should certainly have offered to take care of that amount for you. As far as the price match is concerned, the system doesn't allow for credit adjustments to be made until the item has actually been shipped because that's when your card is actually charged. Still, this should have been a hassle-free process for you.

I see that your Star Trek movie collection is ready for pickup at the store. Let me know once you've picked it up, and I'll be happy to credit any remaining amount that's missing as well as an additional $10 as a gesture for all these difficulties.
In response to the bolded part: Duh, that's what I said to them. Anyway, I'm pretty damn happy that someone on there actually decided to take care of it.

Originally Posted by ericn101
however I would really be pissed off if I got "Hotel For Dogs" instead of a Star Trek complete season.
Tell me about it. I opened the package and said "You've got to be joking." Even the customer service woman was laughing when I told her.
Old 05-13-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,941 Likes on 1,502 Posts

best buy has a forum now?
Old 05-13-09, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
best buy has a forum now?
Yep.

http://www.forums.bestbuy.com/bb/

It's a good thing to remember too, because it seems like the reps on there will actually solve people's issues (or atleast try too).

I think it's funny though that their Customer Service section has the most posts out of any of the sections.