Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Hollywood Box Set from Sony

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Hollywood Box Set from Sony

Pre-order from Amazon, no release date yet. MSRP $79.95. Includes: Drive, He Said / Five Easy Pieces / The King of Marvin Gardens / Last Picture Show / A Safe Place / Head / Easy Rider

According to an insider on the Criterion Forum, this set will include extras and "major new restorations". Hopefully the films will be available separately eventually, as I have no desire to revisit Head. Either way, this should be one of the landmark releases of the year.
Old 05-10-09, 07:41 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: New Hollywood Box Set from Sony

They should have stuck Nickelodeon in there so that we wouldnt have to buy last picture show twice to get it if we buy this too.
Old 05-10-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by g
They should have stuck Nickelodeon in there so that we wouldnt have to buy last picture show twice to get it if we buy this too.
To be fair, Nickelodeon wouldn't have fit the conceptual bill.
Old 05-11-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an odd boxset...why didn't they just ditch Last Picture Show, leave the rest and label it as an "Early Jack Nicholson" box, since he was involved in all of the other movies in some way?

EDIT: And they could have kept the "early Nicholson" thing going by replacing Picture Show with a new edition of The Last Detail, which Sony owns.
Old 05-11-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting, but I'm not sure I'd want to re-buy any of those films I already own.
Old 05-11-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
What an odd boxset...why didn't they just ditch Last Picture Show, leave the rest and label it as an "Early Jack Nicholson" box
I believe this set collects all of the films released under the BBS banner.
Old 05-11-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NoirFan
I believe this set collects all of the films released under the BBS banner.
Hmmm, that makes more sense, but if that's the case, it's missing Hearts and Minds, though Criterion already released that. And a quick look at IMDb shows that Head and Easy Rider were not BBS productions.
Old 05-11-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenVulture
Hmmm, that makes more sense, but if that's the case, it's missing Hearts and Minds, though Criterion already released that. And a quick look at IMDb shows that Head and Easy Rider were not BBS productions.
Well, the same people who made Head and Easy Rider were the ones who formed BBS, so it makes sense.
Old 05-11-09, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Well, the same people who made Head and Easy Rider were the ones who formed BBS, so it makes sense.
And they made those two films before they formed BBS.
Old 09-27-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is supposedly coming out in a few weeks, but I have yet to find any info on specs. Anyone know of any links?
Old 09-30-09, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm looking forward to getting Head.

I presume that this edition will be in the proper 1.85:1 aspect ratio? The Rhino release was open-matte 4:3.
Old 10-09-09, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just checked amazon.com and the release date they had listed (10/20) no longer shows on the product page.

As expected considering the lack of artwork or further details on the set, I'm assuming this means it will be delayed.
Old 10-09-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by obscurelabel
I'm looking forward to getting Head.
fixed
Spoiler:
sorry, someone had to make a cheap joke
Old 01-21-10, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From HTF:
I had conversation with genial Mike Schlesinger the other night about this. It is definitely NOT cancelled; it's just been a matter of accomodating Bob Rafelson's schedule for supplement participation. Once his material is done, the box will emerge forthwith.
Old 06-05-10, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From The Criterion Cast:
Exciting news from the rumor mill! A trusted source buried deep in the business tells me that we should expect another box set this holiday season from the Criterion Collection.

This is still a rumor, and after digging around on the CriterionForum, it’s one that has been kicking around since at least last year, so keep that in mind. I’m told that Criterion has just recently acquired the rights to several films from the producing duo: Bert Schneider (producer of Hearts and Minds and Days of Heaven) and Bob Rafelson, specifically Easy Rider and The Last Picture Show. With the recent passing of Dennis Hopper, it’ll be great to have him in one more film in the Collection.

This will most likely be a box set (5-7 films) from the New Hollywood era, produced by Schneider & Rafelson, so it’s safe to assume that Five Easy Pieces will most likely be a part of this set.

Some other tidbits that I was able to pry out of this rumor:

* The box set (again, 5-7 films) will be released around November for a Holiday release (similar to Criterion’s mega Kurosawa set last winter)
* The films will definitely be a Criterion release (not Eclipse) as there will be lots of supplemental materials included.
* There will be a Blu-ray and DVD version of the set.
* The films will not be available individually, only as the set.

So again, this is all just a rumor, but a very exciting rumor at that. With this release, Criterion is proving yet again, that collectible physical media is an important part of our modern culture, especially in terms of film appreciation.
And from the Criterion Forum:
I confirmed the rumor about the New Hollywood boxset with an individual I know who works at Criterion. They were surprised that the Criterion Cast website was able to leak the story as Criterion has been keeping the set a well guarded secret.
Old 06-05-10, 12:55 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm, I wonder if it will be the same films as previously stated? I would like to see Head with some special features and in widescreen.
Old 06-05-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Hmm, I wonder if it will be the same films as previously stated?
Yes, it will be.
Originally Posted by Criterion Forum
The set includes the films Five Easy Pieces/ Head/ King of Marvin Gardens/ The Last Picture Show/ Easy Rider/ A Safe Place/ Drive, He Said
Given Criterion's track record, I'm assuming all titles will include extras and be in their OARs.
Old 06-05-10, 07:46 PM

'Head' on Blu-ray? Be still my fucking heart.
Old 06-06-10, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A Criterion version of Head? Really? Never thought I'd see that. Sucks we'd have to buy the whole box - I just want that.
Old 06-06-10, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been waiting on this for a long time but didn't anticipate Criterion possibly handling the release. Having gone Blu last year, I admit I a BD version was what I was hoping for but didn't know if Sony would do that. If the set is now in Criterion's hands, I am beyond thrilled. Please bring it on in Blu-ray! And my wallet is in big trouble from Criterion again!
Old 06-06-10, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just as I was about to buy Five Easy Pieces, Easy Rider, and The Last Picture Show, too.
Old 06-06-10, 01:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Yeah this is sweet. But really I don't want the other movies just Head. I wonder what the special features will be on there. It would be nice to see a commentary from the band! I wouldn't think it's a long shot, since they did commentaries for the TV series, I doubt they'd do it together though.
Old 06-06-10, 02:34 PM

I had a hard time getting excited about this set since I already own five of these movies on DVD. Despite the promise of input from Rafelson and judging by the diminishing number of supplements on the Sony collector sets, it didn't even appear that there would likely be very many extras, probably not enough to inspire me to bother unless I could get it really cheaply down the road.

Essentially, I would be paying $75+(?) for a matted 16x9 version of 'Head' and two movies I've never seen from the directors of 'Can She Bake a Cherry Pie?' and 'The Two Jakes.'

However, the promise of BD HD versions of 'Five Easy Pieces' and 'The Last Picture Show' (in addition to an HD widescreen 'Head') have gotten me very interested in this set again. I hope the rumors are true.