Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Preliminary discussion of 1st Xbox 360 gamer score challenge.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok boys and girls a lot of us that play xbox 360 are also on 360voice.com and for those of you on there know that they have gamer score challenges. So I was thinking let's do a big gamer score challenge. I would like everyone on there to join up if possible . This would spurn some nice competition between us all and bring back the trash talk that we get when a game comes out that we all love "(Geomotry wars 2) I have talked to L&O and he is cool with this, and will hopefully join up. Now as an added bonus besides just the trash talk that will coincide with winning I will be offering a xbox prize the value of the prize (or possibly prizes) will depend on the amount of people sign up.

Now here is what I am looking for is just a quick post on if you would sign up, and when we would like it to start and for how long. Auto challenges last 5 days so those we don't need to worry about but if you are in the Mega Challenge right now we would have to wait until that is over. Now there is 71 of us signed up for the dvdtalk group we have over there so if we got say 50 people signed up then I promise the prize would be pretty good one. If this goes well we can do them again. So fire away thoughts.

In:
Spicollidriver1 - Lunchbox700
M Polo - BigBadPolo
FusionX -
Kevinlord190 - kjovhp
DVDSteve2000 - SOFA KIN WHAT
DVDChris - TurdFerguson64

Last edited by Spicollidriver1; 05-11-09 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 03:02 PM
Banned

Re: Preliminary discussion of 1st Xbox 360 gamer score challenge.

I'd be down. I don't like the prize idea, but a friendly "competition" would be fun. Besides, none of us have a chance against DiscoStu and his GameStop access.
Old 05-10-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think with those of us that have gamefly account or other kind of access then it is a little easier to get those "easy" achievements but still could be fun either way and if we get enough people then yeah you don't have to be a winner to enjoy beating someone elses ass .
Old 05-10-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

It wouldn't be the 1st, if we did one.
Old 05-10-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What is this Horseville?
Old 05-10-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Seriously we are talking about video games.
Old 05-10-09, 07:21 PM

I'd give it a shot
Old 05-10-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Spicollidriver1
Seriously we are talking about video games.
I'm just sayin'. Here's the thread for the 1st gamerscore challenge.
Old 05-10-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm just sayin'. Here's the thread for the 1st gamerscore challenge.
I thought you meant more of a grammatical way as it can't be the first if we don't do another one. And that was when they did prizes through the site which they don't anymore because people were setting up fake challenges to win stuff.
Old 05-10-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

FusionX just curious what is your beef with a prize ? Also whats your gamertag it's not on the list?
Old 05-10-09, 11:35 PM
Banned

I just think prizes bring out certain traits in people, which wouldn't be evident if it was just for pride or fun. Plus people tend to get pissy when they lose when prizes are involved. I am just a purist I guess!
Old 05-10-09, 11:52 PM
Suspended

im down my gt is kjovhp
Old 05-11-09, 04:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!

I'm not real good at getting quick jumps on my score, but here we go...

Tag = SOFA KIN WHAT
Old 05-11-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll join, but just be advised, the winner ends up being the person who hasn't played Avatar/Fusion Frenzy/King Kong yet.
Old 05-11-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVDChris
I'll join, but just be advised, the winner ends up being the person who hasn't played Avatar/Fusion Frenzy/King Kong yet.
Hmmm...I haven't played any of those
Old 05-11-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well I have none of those and I refuse to allow those on my gamercard right now, plus if we make it long enough you can overcome bullshit easy scores. Plus if you win with Avatar that would be a hollow victory.
Old 05-11-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is tough, because I'm a casual achievement-point getter to begin with, and with the exception of Madden, I've never tried to cakewalk achievements...BUT, if it's a contest, is it wrong to try to grab some easy ones? I'm sure that's what everyone will be doing, whether or not they have already played the 3 mentioned games. If I keep up at the pace I'm at now, I shouldn't enter. I've gained 3,300 points in 2009, which is less than 200 points a week. At that pace, I'm a sure loser.

So here is my proposal Let's rate achievements like they do on ACHIEVE360POINTS. They have them listed there by game difficulty for getting achievements. So for an example, Fusion Frenzy is a 'level 2' difficulty game, so maybe make those achievements worth .2 per point achieved, where as Burnout Revenge is a level 7, so they would gain at .7 per point gained. The only hard part would be how to figure what games were played to get the recent achievements...that's alot of blog-checking.
Old 05-11-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't even want to think about another one after the first one.
Old 05-11-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by lordwow
I don't even want to think about another one after the first one.
Yep. People need to re-read through the thread I linked.

I think the only way to make this a level playing field, you limit the games to those released in the last X number of months, not including kids games.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-11-09 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-11-09, 01:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dvdsteve2000
This is tough, because I'm a casual achievement-point getter to begin with, and with the exception of Madden, I've never tried to cakewalk achievements...BUT, if it's a contest, is it wrong to try to grab some easy ones? I'm sure that's what everyone will be doing, whether or not they have already played the 3 mentioned games. If I keep up at the pace I'm at now, I shouldn't enter. I've gained 3,300 points in 2009, which is less than 200 points a week. At that pace, I'm a sure loser.

So here is my proposal Let's rate achievements like they do on ACHIEVE360POINTS. They have them listed there by game difficulty for getting achievements. So for an example, Fusion Frenzy is a 'level 2' difficulty game, so maybe make those achievements worth .2 per point achieved, where as Burnout Revenge is a level 7, so they would gain at .7 per point gained. The only hard part would be how to figure what games were played to get the recent achievements...that's alot of blog-checking.
To help make sure someone who rarely plays wins a challenge devised to reward playing, should those of us who play often also tie one hand behind our back? I'd hate to see someone who actually games win this, after all.
Old 05-11-09, 01:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDChris
It will take a A LOT more than an easy 3K to win this, I assure you. This should be a month long, to make sure consistent, frequent players are close to the top. I can see some quick jumps with cheap points, but over the course of a month, it would level off. I would think about 10-12K would get you close to the top in a month long challenge.
Old 05-11-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by FusionX
To help make sure someone who rarely plays wins a challenge devised to reward playing, should those of us who play often also tie one hand behind our back? I'd hate to see someone who actually games win this, after all.
Says the person who cheesed his way to victory, not once but at least twice in the last thread? And 12k in a month? I play a lot of games and I barely get that in a year.

Here are a few gems from the last thread(names removed):

Seriously. Does it even matter? No one is going to catch up to me unless they start playing a ton of quick achievement point games anyway. So quit your fucking whining.
Well, congrats, just don't expect to be invited to any future contests.
No, I don't care how long people play. But look at your most played list of 360 games, it reads like the Worst Games on the XBox 360.
Whatever "winner". Hope you enjoyed playing all those crappy games.
I agree, this thread, and each challenge, became a disaster.

and this old gem:
Then obviously your Halo 3 level is not high enough for this conversation....
Old 05-11-09, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Says the person who cheesed his way to victory, not once but at least twice in the last thread? And 12k in a month? I play a lot of games and I barely get that in a year.
So I'll drop the prize idea since some of us are not mature enough to play nice. I agree that it should be about a month long or around there to make it good, and the points will level off. I am perfectly fine with boosting , and playing weak games to do it if you feel you need to do that to win a friendly competition. Also I will add that we will all have to abide by the forum rules and act somewhat civilized (trash talk fine, personal attacks not acceptable) and the overall winner doesn't have to be the only one having fun like for example we can keep track of the best player with the fewest games played or something like that. We can keep it fun wether there is a player running away with it or not, and to be honest we will be using 360 voice for tracking only, the winner might be the winner over there but not neccessarily the winner here we could use the point system something like they have here:
http://www.trueachievements.com/gettingstarted.aspx . That's why this is the discussion thread I wanted input so that no one feels "cheated" like I said 360voice is basically just a tracker for us to make the logistics easier.
Old 05-11-09, 02:31 PM
Banned

People will feel cheated regardless. Everyone wants to win and if they don't, someone "cheesed" or played "kids games." I'm totally in if there are no prizes and its a straight up competition. But if special rules are put in to help the weaker gamers keep up, that is just sad when adults are involved.
Old 05-11-09, 02:36 PM
Banned

In a normal month lately, I pick up around 2K. But if I am in a challenge, then of course I will ramp up my playtime. And "a lot of games" is totally relative. I am a daily gamer and buy/rent 80% of the games that interest me, but compared to DiscoStu, I am a casual gamer. So one man's "a lot of games" can look meager in comparison. But in a challenge situation, I would think it would be a reason/inspiration/motivation to increase playtime, hunt down stubborn points, and try games you might not otherwise.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.