Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Films that end with a non-principle character or a non-narrative space?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 12:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Inspired by KillerCannibal's 'best ending' thread, I was wondering what films end with a non-principle character or a non-narrative space?

For example, The Silence of the Lambs ends with a long take of pedestrians, well after the principle character is gone.

ps. What I mean by a "non-narrative space' is a closure that does not play in the story. For example, a film tells a story of a family, then it ends with slides of their family photo album in plain black background.

Last edited by Apone; 05-10-09 at 12:47 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Films that end with a non-principle character or a non-narrative space?

Alien3
Spoiler:
Pete Postlethwaite's character is pretty minor but just happens to be the only survivor and he ends the movie IIRC.

Raiders of the Lost Ark (I'm not spoilerizing this, come on) - It ends with the guy pushing the crate carrying the Ark into a huge warehouse, and the camera pans back.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 05-10-09 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Schindler's List ends with the real surviving family members placing stones on the real Schindler's gravesite.

40 Year Old Virgin has the entire cast singing "Aquarius" outside in a sunny field.

Sunshine ends on Earth, having spent the entire movie on a space ship.

Last edited by FinkPish; 05-10-09 at 02:12 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

How about Braveheart and the Truman Show?

Spoilers ahead...(do we need spoilrs in a thread discussing the endings of films?)

Braveheart ends with Robert the Bruce leading the army to victory.

The Truman Show SHOULD have ended with Truman waving to the camera and exiting the world, but instead we get some lame shot of his girlfriend's reaction to him leaving.
Old 05-10-09, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Truman Show ends with the Security Guards changing the "tv's" channel to see what else is on. In a way, ending it with Truman makes the movie-viewer the audience, but because the film switches from Truman's life/the real world and the tv show/audience, it wouldn't work IMO. If Weir has made it solely about the show, I would have loved that ending. I think the current one works because of the commentary on tv viewers than just a tv show.

Heaven's Gate ends with a long montage of Kris Kristofferson quietly looking at the sunset off his steamboat.

Some others I thought of: Men on Fire(2004) ends with Giancarlo Giannini's character killing "La Voz," although the prior scene has Denzel's character's name, DOB, and DOD juxtaposed against the Popocatépetl Volcano near Mexico City. I think Looker ends with a commercial from the film and that the VHS version has a voice-over of James Coburn's character discussing how people will always listen to whatever an advertisement is telling them. And Body Snatchers(94) has dialogue from earlier in the film played at half the speed while the film, depicting an Air Force traffic controller waving some light cones, is also slowed.

Last edited by gmanca; 05-10-09 at 04:16 AM.
Old 05-10-09, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

on topic: makes me think of the original studio release of Blade Runner, which I think ended with an aerial shot that was lifted from The Shining (iirc) of some green landscape.

off topic:

The Truman Show SHOULD have ended with Truman waving to the camera and exiting the world, but instead we get some lame shot of his girlfriend's reaction to him leaving.
I agree with this one and this is probably a topic for a separate but similar thread, but some movies seem to go one shot or scene too long. I'm thinking of The Shawkshank Redemption where you actually see Red meet Andy on the beach in Mexico. I always thought the movie should've faded to black on the shot of Red riding on the bus heading to meet him.
Old 05-10-09, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Departed?

Spoiler:
The rat walking along on the railing

Why oh why did they have to put that extra little in there is beyond me, not to mention how heavy-handed it seemed.
Old 05-10-09, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
The Truman Show ends with the Security Guards changing the "tv's" channel to see what else is on.
That ending kind of pissed me off. We spend all this time building up to a dramatic, meaningful conclusion only to have Weir toss it all away with that shitty final shot.

It's like he's telling the audience, "Don't bother thinking about this film once you leave the theater. FORGET ABOUT IT. See what else is on."

I don't know if Andrew Niccol had anything to do with that ending, but it certainly wasn't part of the shooting script that was published.
Old 05-10-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I liked the final shot of Truman, go figure. Though that's another convo all together.

The last shot of Mulholland Drive is of a woman you see one other time during the movie. Now determining if she means everything or nothing is the tough part.
Old 05-10-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

L'Avventura
Old 05-10-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

would Revolutionary Road count?
Old 05-10-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I understand what the OP is looking for, but I don't think his Silence Of The Lambs example qualifies, since the crowd scene is merely the extension of a shot that sees Hannibal walking into the crowd and disappearing within it. The shot is all about Hannibal disappearing back into society, even if we can't see him anymore.

The Raiders example is a good example, assuming you don't consider "The Ark" a main character in the movie.

There are a few movies that end with characters not primary to the particular installment, but ones that WILL be important in other installments - like baby Luke Skywalker at the end of REVENGE OF THE SITH or baby Cesar at the end of ESCAPE FROM THE PLANET OF THE APES.
Old 05-10-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
Inspired by KillerCannibal's 'best ending' thread, I was wondering what films end with a non-principle character or a non-narrative space?

For example, The Silence of the Lambs ends with a long take of pedestrians, well after the principle character is gone.

ps. What I mean by a "non-narrative space' is a closure that does not play in the story. For example, a film tells a story of a family, then it ends with slides of their family photo album in plain black background.
I believe THE UGLY AMERICAN (1963) has an ending that meets these criteria. The film is about the efforts of an American diplomat, played by Marlon Brando, to stop the spread of communism in a Southeast Asian country modeled on Thailand, which is where it was filmed. Here's the ending:
Spoiler:
Brando is on TV giving a foreign policy speech criticizing America's treatment of 3rd World countries or something. The film then cuts to an average American guy sitting in his living room watching the speech on TV. He gets up just as Brando is about to make his most salient point and switches off the TV. The End.
Old 05-10-09, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apone
For example, a film tells a story of a family, then it ends with slides of their family photo album in plain black background.
Repulsion?
Old 05-10-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know if this fits with what you want, but To Live & Die in LA ends with a shot of a Truck pulling up in a driveway.. I wanted to ask Friedkin WTF at a screening, but couldn't get called on...

Last edited by hasslein; 05-10-09 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-10-09, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It seems like all of Friedkin's films have arbitrary endings like that.
Old 05-10-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well with French Connection the "gunshot" ending made sense, because it was a "what just happened?" moment, but this truck shot is just random....
Old 05-10-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by belboz
I agree with this one and this is probably a topic for a separate but similar thread, but some movies seem to go one shot or scene too long. I'm thinking of The Shawkshank Redemption where you actually see Red meet Andy on the beach in Mexico. I always thought the movie should've faded to black on the shot of Red riding on the bus heading to meet him.
Even ending on the bus would be going too far as it would imply Red is on his way to see Andy. The novella ends with Red sitting by the wall reading the note. It is the perfect ending. It's up to the reader to decided Red & Andy's fate. They only knew each other on the inside. Having Red see Andy on the outside was a typical Hollywood schmaltzy ending.

I absolutely love that movie, but the ending sucks.
Old 05-11-09, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Off the top of my head:

The 1930's Frankenstein ends with the butler proposing a toast.

Citizen Kane ends with people sorting through (and burning) Kane's art aquisitions.

A reccent movie, Watchmen ends with a scene in a newspaper office between two characters who haven't previously been seen.
Old 05-11-09, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 482 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Even ending on the bus would be going too far as it would imply Red is on his way to see Andy. The novella ends with Red sitting by the wall reading the note. It is the perfect ending. It's up to the reader to decided Red & Andy's fate. They only knew each other on the inside. Having Red see Andy on the outside was a typical Hollywood schmaltzy ending.

I absolutely love that movie, but the ending sucks.
Great movie, but that final shot has bugged me for 15 years.
Old 05-11-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FinkPish
40 Year Old Virgin has the entire cast singing "Aquarius" outside in a sunny field.
Along the same lines, Slumdog Millionaire?