Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

DVD player recommendations?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD player recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-00, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I am going to buy a new DVD player, since I am supremely frustrated with my piece of crap Oritron (I know, I know). I don't need anything fancy, just a good, all-around basic player in the $200-$300 range. So far, I've been looking at two:

Sony DVPS330 - 800.com has this on sale for $250 (and only $5 to ship) and all the reviews that I've read say it's great.

Toshiba SD1200 - This is going for $250 at 800.com and there's a cycle (until Monday) at Mobshop where it's $190.

I've searched the boards for reviews on these and found some information. What are your thoughts on these or any other players in this range? Thanks for your help.

Linus
Old 05-04-00, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I think that the pioneer 515 is a good player fot the money. I have the 414 good player for the money.

------------------
Michael http://www.dvdtracker.com/~michaelsdvdlist
Old 05-04-00, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my sony 330!! It might be cheaper elsewhere...check www.dealtime.com and search for that dvd player.

FYI, saw someplace LOCALLY offering for the same price, so if your tax isn't too high near you, you may want to look in the sunday paper. When there is only a small difference in price on a bigger ticket item, I like to go local in case of a problem.. Besides, sometimes instant gratification is worth something...
Old 05-08-00, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I will go with the Sony. I've shopped around and everywhere (including B&Ms) seems to charge $250. I figure that, using ******, I come out ahead at 800.com. With shipping and all it'll be around $242, compared to about $262 (sales tax included) at the B&Ms. 800.com has fast service and the extra $20 isn't really worth the instant gratification.

Do the later shipments fix the notorious "lip synch" problem that occurs with the 330? Thanks for your help.
Old 05-09-00, 03:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've just answered a similiar question to yours. Check here for a few opinions

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum5/HTML/003299.html
Old 05-10-00, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, everyone. I ordered a Sony 330 from 800.com yesterday and it shipped last night. I can finally set fire to the Oritron. Or maybe I should do something a bit more painful to that player that caused me such grief.