Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Shopping Discussions > Store Forum
Reload this Page >

A little frustrated with Amazon U.S. lately

Community
Search
Store Forum Share Your Shopping Experiences at Stores both Online and Off.

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Here's what's going on. First, I've been a customer of Amazon U.S. for years. And within the last few years, Amazon U.K., Canada and France as well. Perfect service all around. ESPECIALLY from the U.K., Canada and France. Anyway, I've noticed that when I've purchased any items from Amazon U.S, that came out on a Tuesday (and paid for shipping), the items arrived on Wednesday. And the items I chose free shipping, came on Thursday. So I figured I'd just save some money and choose free shipping from now on since it arrived one day later. Well lately, on my last four or five orders, nothing is shipped for up to a week after it's release. And everything has been in stock. All coming from the same location as before (I checked). When I asked them what the hold up was, I get the standard response that because I chose free shipping, it takes longer. Yes, I know that. But in the past, all items had shipped the day of the release, and just took a day or two longer. On my most recent order, they told me that two of the titles are listed on their web site with the availability estimate: "In stock on May 8, 2009. Order it now." Not true. They came out on 5/5 and it just says "In stock". Nothing about May 8th. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same delay on free shipping with items that are in stock. This is not the end of the world, I know. I'm just wanted to hear from others. And I might just switch back to soley DeepDiscount again since their services have improved a great deal lately. Sometimes shipping out Tuesday releases four days earlier. Where I've been getting the order on Tuesday, with free shipping!
Old 05-06-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A little frustrated with Amazon U.S. lately

The transit times aren't the problem as you said. Amazon seems to wait about 3 to 5 days before they ship out my orders with free shipping. That's why I prefer DVDEmpire for DVDs.

Dirk
Old 05-06-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
The transit times aren't the problem as you said. Amazon seems to wait about 3 to 5 days before they ship out my orders with free shipping. That's why I prefer DVDEmpire for DVDs.

Dirk

Well, that delay just started. Do you use free shipping with DVDEmpire and get them quickly?
Old 05-06-09, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Well, that delay just started. Do you use free shipping with DVDEmpire and get them quickly?
Yes, anything ordered before 3pm est ships the same day at DVDEmpire. I have those delays with amazon for a long time already.

Dirk
Old 05-06-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
Yes, anything ordered before 3pm est ships the same day at DVDEmpire. I have those delays with amazon for a long time already.

Dirk
Really appreciate the tip. I've ordered from DVDEmpire in the past before and always liked them. Really stinks Amazon have started dragging their feet on items with free shipping. Every single order I've placed with Amazon UK and France, with normal shipping, I've received within four days !!
Old 05-06-09, 02:57 PM

Anytime I pay for shipping at amazon it leaves their warehouse within a day but not when I pick free shipping. I have ordered from the amazon.de and also uk and it gets to me within a week usually, but again if you pay it goes out quick.

Dirk
Old 05-06-09, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That delay did not just start. I've experienced it for years w/ free shipping-- not on EVERY order, though.

I think someone said in a previous thread that they pre-sort the packages that are being shipped with free shipping and once they reach a certain amount, they send them out. (I have no idea, personally.)
Old 05-06-09, 03:47 PM

What do you want for free??????If you don't want to there will be
a delay..

Here's what's going on. First, I've been a customer of Amazon U.S. for years. And within the last few years, Amazon U.K., Canada and France as well. Perfect service all around. ESPECIALLY from the U.K., Canada and France. Anyway, I've noticed that when I've purchased any items from Amazon U.S, that came out on a Tuesday (and paid for shipping), the items arrived on Wednesday. And the items I chose free shipping, came on Thursday. So I figured I'd just save some money and choose free shipping from now on since it arrived one day later. Well lately, on my last four or five orders, nothing is shipped for up to a week after it's release. And everything has been in stock. All coming from the same location as before (I checked). When I asked them what the hold up was, I get the standard response that because I chose free shipping, it takes longer. Yes, I know that. But in the past, all items had shipped the day of the release, and just took a day or two longer. On my most recent order, they told me that two of the titles are listed on their web site with the availability estimate: "In stock on May 8, 2009. Order it now." Not true. They came out on 5/5 and it just says "In stock". Nothing about May 8th. I'm just wondering if anyone else is having the same delay on free shipping with items that are in stock. This is not the end of the world, I know. I'm just wanted to hear from others. And I might just switch back to soley DeepDiscount again since their services have improved a great deal lately. Sometimes shipping out Tuesday releases four days earlier. Where I've been getting the order on Tuesday, with free shipping!
Old 05-06-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by disneyguy
What do you want for free??????If you don't want to there will be
a delay..

Jesus. There's always a response like this. My post was very clear. We're talking about expectations here. And changes in service.
Old 05-06-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I've noticed this with my last order and current order. My current order was placed 2 weeks ago. I pre-ordered Pygmy (Chuck Palahnuik's new book) which was released 5/5 along w/ a dvd (I chose the free shipping). On Tuesday it still hadn't shipped and I noticed that the shipping estimate had changed from the 5th to the 11th...on top of that the book had dropped in price $1.50 (big thanks to those that pre-ordered it). So I cancelled my order and replaced it to save the $1.50 and the shipping estimate is still May 11.

Why would anyone pre-order anything from them if you aren't going to get the item anywhere near release date and they get out of the pre-order price guarantee by dropping the price the day it is released?
Old 05-06-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can understand the frustration, but eventually I went to Amazon Prime and I don't think I could ever go back. They ship everything ASAP and I get it in two days or less, tax free, so awesome...
Old 05-07-09, 07:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

As long as I get it within 8 weeks, I'm cool. What's the rush?
Old 05-07-09, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
.....tax free, so awesome...
That depends where you live! I pay taxes at amazon.

Dirk
Old 05-07-09, 10:24 AM

Also, even if Amazon doesn't charge sales tax in your state, you as an individual are responsible to pay in many states.
Old 05-07-09, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

OP, this is nothing new. They have been doing this for years. Several threads about this topic have been posted. I split a prime membership with a family member, so I dont really worry about shipping anymore. What I suspect happens is there is a certain number of packages that amazon has spots to ship daily, or a certain time that they cutoff shipping. First the paid shipping goes, then if there are spots/time left they ship the free parcels that have been waiting the longest.
Old 05-09-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesus. There's always a response like this. My post was very clear. We're talking about expectations here. And changes in service.
Exactly. I noticed this as well. The item can say IN STOCK SHIPS IN 24 HOURS and I place my order, opt for free shipping. One time I noticed that my order was still pending a few days later and I called them to ask why and I got the response I chose free shipping so they had a certain number of days to deliver it to me. Regardless of what shipping option I chose, the product said it was in stock and shipped in 24 hours. It did NOT specify which shipping method you must choose to take advantage of that.

If amazon.com wants to pull crap like this, they need to disclose it on their product pages. Instead of misleading consumers in thinking no matter what they order it will mail out in 24 hours, list when the item will ship based on each shipping method they offer.

They started pulling crap like this not too long after they offered their prime membership. I imagine it's a way to try to "encourage" people to pay for the prime membership. It's a lousy practice, I think.
Old 05-09-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Also, even if Amazon doesn't charge sales tax in your state, you as an individual are responsible to pay in many states.
Who does that?
Old 05-09-09, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jjcool
OP, this is nothing new. They have been doing this for years. Several threads about this topic have been posted. I split a prime membership with a family member, so I dont really worry about shipping anymore. What I suspect happens is there is a certain number of packages that amazon has spots to ship daily, or a certain time that they cutoff shipping. First the paid shipping goes, then if there are spots/time left they ship the free parcels that have been waiting the longest.
correct. and like others have mentioned, amazon has been doing this for years.
Old 05-09-09, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Who does that?
None of Obama's appointees.
Old 05-09-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Who does that?
people that hate money
Old 05-10-09, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who does that?
people in nyc.
Old 05-10-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Who does that?
People that aren't criminals?
Old 05-10-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't use Amazon for DVDs anymore at all. I bought War, Inc. on Bluray when it was on sale for $5 or some really low price and paid for regular shipping and it still took forever to get to me.

I have the same problem with DeepDiscount which use to just take a week to get to me and my last order from April still hasn't arrived and the one before that took almost a month in the mail.

DVDEmpire has been great for me on the other hand. I think I will be sticking to them for things I wish to obtain sooner rather than later.
Old 05-11-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts

I've noticed shipping times come in waves. Sometimes I get my movies and other merchandise fairly quickly, and other times it seems the shipping department has slowed down. Not sure why.

But.

When I do get something from Amazon, I like the fact if I have a defective movie (cracked case, etc.), they'll cross-ship me another one immediately. I had this happen with Pride & Prejudice on Blu. Just imagine if DeepDiscount shipped me a cracked case. They'd never cross-ship me another, and I'd have to wait for them to receive it and for them to ship out another.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 05-11-09 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-12-09, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. I noticed this as well. The item can say IN STOCK SHIPS IN 24 HOURS and I place my order, opt for free shipping. One time I noticed that my order was still pending a few days later and I called them to ask why and I got the response I chose free shipping so they had a certain number of days to deliver it to me. Regardless of what shipping option I chose, the product said it was in stock and shipped in 24 hours. It did NOT specify which shipping method you must choose to take advantage of that.

If amazon.com wants to pull crap like this, they need to disclose it on their product pages. Instead of misleading consumers in thinking no matter what they order it will mail out in 24 hours, list when the item will ship based on each shipping method they offer.

They started pulling crap like this not too long after they offered their prime membership. I imagine it's a way to try to "encourage" people to pay for the prime membership. It's a lousy practice, I think.
It is! A lousy practice. And you know what else? I cancelled my order last Saturday when the item still hadn't shipped, saying I'd never use the free shipping option again because their arrival time is not consistent. Well, they responded with a "Sorry, we made a mistake. Youur items have been in stock all along. Please place the order again and we'll wave the shipping cost". Uh, no thanks. I already got it from another online site, free shipping, within 2 days.

And to the others who have posted they have always done this with the free shipping. Not with me they haven't. Only recently. As I said, this was the only reason I chose free in the first place. They always arrived just one day after items I paid to have shipped.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.