Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Watchmen: Director's Cut --> July 21st!

Pages : [1] 2

Mao
05-04-09, 10:05 PM
Decided to start a new thread, continued from <a href=http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/551234-watchmen-dvd-some-details.html> this one </a>.

Complete details soon, but the street date is a go:

4 versions: Blu-Ray, 2-Disc Special Edition, Single Disc Widescreen and Single Disc Fullscreen.

ZACK SNYDER'S ACTION-PACKED FAN PHENOMENON NOW IN A DIRECTOR'S CUT

DIGITAL COPY WITH BLU-RAY AND 2-DISC SPECIAL EDITION DVD

BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE: IMMERSIVE WATCHMEN MAXIMUM MOVIE MODE, HOSTED BY FILMMAKER ZACK SNYDER

The Valeyard
05-04-09, 10:47 PM
Yay!!!

ReduxGuy
05-04-09, 10:53 PM
Yay!!!

Seconded.

Zen Peckinpah
05-04-09, 10:57 PM
:banana:

chris_sc77
05-04-09, 11:08 PM
Hurm....I'll wait and see if we get commentary and how bad WB will screw us with Blu-ray exclusives before I commit to the 2-disk SE.

canaryfarmer
05-04-09, 11:08 PM
I'm honestly surprised they're bothering with a FS version.

Mondo Kane
05-04-09, 11:09 PM
"Hallelujah"-Leonard Cohen

jmj713
05-04-09, 11:12 PM
Second disc is the useless digital copy. Stop. Please.

Solid Snake
05-04-09, 11:22 PM

:bdance:

steelpotato
05-05-09, 12:08 AM
Blu-ray exclusives please.

will94
05-05-09, 12:21 AM
BLU-RAY EXCLUSIVE: IMMERSIVE WATCHMEN MAXIMUM MOVIE MODE, HOSTED BY FILMMAKER ZACK SNYDER

I'm already salivating at the thought of what this could be. Can't wait for this release.

shyguy1083
05-05-09, 12:49 AM
nice! in for the BD, although depending on what exclusives we might see, i might be in for multiple copies... although since this was a box office dud, perhaps we won't be seeing too many retail exclusives?

OldWhore'sDiet
05-05-09, 12:52 AM
It would be cool if they include the theatrical with the director's cut like King Kong but I'm excited for this! I'm in for the BD. :D

asianxcore
05-05-09, 02:02 AM
Awesome!

Definitely going to pick up the BD version

JeffTheAlpaca
05-05-09, 02:36 AM
I'm honestly surprised they're bothering with a FS version.

that seems pointless

any picture of the artwork?

I hope they use this but they probably won't

http://robsmovievault.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/watchmen-final-poster.jpg

GenPion
05-05-09, 02:39 AM
Wow. I was going to skip this release, but since they are including the Director's Cut I guess I'll be buying the Blu-ray now. Awesome!

kstublen
05-05-09, 02:42 AM
that seems pointless

any picture of the artwork?

I hope they use this but they probably won't

I hope they don't use that for the cover art. Worst of the posters, in my opinion.

Rypro 525
05-05-09, 06:24 AM
epic fail, if the 2nd disc is just a pointless digital copy. hopefully we'll get some extras, although they are probably waiting for the big super deluxe version that is supposed is come out in the fall (that will also include the cartoon recut back into the movie)

BullGooseLoony
05-05-09, 07:24 AM
Are any of those four releases the theatrical cut?

Knowing Warner Bros., they'll probably release a special edition six months from now.

The only way I'm getting the 2-disc if someone gets it in a steelbook.

FrancisRizzo3
05-05-09, 07:37 AM
Snyder's already said that the Ultimate edition, with Black Freighter edited into the film, will be out in December. So it's up to you if you want to jump in now.

rexinnih
05-05-09, 07:54 AM
Snyder's already said that the Ultimate edition, with Black Freighter edited into the film, will be out in December. So it's up to you if you want to jump in now.

Will probably give the Director's Cut a rent and wait for the Ultimate Edition.

Darknite39
05-05-09, 08:35 AM

I'm having flashbacks.

http://silenceinarchitecture.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles.jpg

Giles
05-05-09, 08:42 AM

:bdance:

and I'll raise you with a

:rock:

canaryfarmer
05-05-09, 08:50 AM
I'd really like something like this in Steelbook form:
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/6148/watchmenposter2n.jpg
but without the date and text in the middle.

I'm all for something simple and iconic as opposed to a messy Photoshop collage.

andy1992
05-05-09, 11:07 AM
Will probably give the Director's Cut a rent and wait for the Ultimate Edition.

Me too - I will rent the blu-ray release day, and buy the Ultimate Edition when it hits the shelves. The older i get the faster i tire of these double dips...especially since the double dip would be in the same year, so it is not a big deal waiting five more months for the preferred purchase.

drak b
05-05-09, 11:21 AM
gah, I HATE digital copies! I've so far avoided adding any of them to my 1200+ DVD collection and I hope I can continue that trend. All I've missed out on so far is a few recent blockbusters and I've got enough of a backlog of movies to watch anyway.

Here's hoping the inevitable Ultimate Edition comes out sans Digital Copy...

jjcool
05-05-09, 01:25 PM
So is one of these cuts actually going to be good?

Torchur317
05-05-09, 03:26 PM
They are releasing a Ultimate Edition that soon? I'll guess I'll pass on this release....
I'm sick of double dipping....

BullGooseLoony
05-05-09, 07:00 PM

I'm all for something simple and iconic as opposed to a messy Photoshop collage. That'd be sick.

Solid Snake
05-05-09, 07:19 PM
Any special features on this thing? I'd like to hear a commentary for the sake of having one but his 300 one was boring. I don't remember the Dawn of the Dead one..

RagingBull80
05-05-09, 07:21 PM
So is one of these cuts actually going to be good?
:crap:

I will probably get the director's cut and read reviews of the ultimate cut before I bite down. I have the Black Freighter DVD and it's cool but I think edited back into the movie it would be a bit jarring.

TheDuke
05-05-09, 07:37 PM
I didn't like this movie that much, very sexist, very homophobic. I might buy the ultimate edition though, depends on what the extras are.

canaryfarmer
05-05-09, 08:36 PM
How was the movie sexist and homophobic? Rorschach may have been, but that doesn't mean the movie as a whole condones his beliefs.

TomOpus
05-05-09, 08:59 PM
And why would one buy a movie he didn't really like very much?

Corey31
05-05-09, 09:09 PM
I never read the graphic novel or saw this in theatres so I'm probably in for the 2-disk DVD edition, especially if we get a Steelbook. It would look nice next to my only other Steelbook (Dark Knight)

auto
05-05-09, 10:14 PM
I didn't like this movie that much, very sexist, very homophobic. I might buy the ultimate edition though, depends on what the extras are.

Awesome! This is sig worthy.

rotfl

pridesticks06
05-05-09, 11:09 PM
This better be a SteelBook.

Navinabob
05-06-09, 01:42 AM
The only thing homophobic about the movie was in the audience. I think every time a blue wang swung across the screen at least one guy in the audience had to make a gagging sound. Which is sorta funny if you believe that most homophobic people are in the closet themselves. Then, if you have ever seen Oz, the sound effect they made became really funny.

And yaay. I can't wait for the directors cut. One last bit, I had to rewrite this post like 12 times to cut out all the intentional and unintentional penile puns. It was really... difficult. <---- See, had to edit there too!

JeffTheAlpaca
05-06-09, 02:22 AM
Warner Bros 2 disc special editions are usually a ripoff.

most of the special features on the 2nd discs could probably fit on the first disc

DJariya
05-06-09, 03:06 AM
I'm going to pass on this.

I thought the movie was already way too long.

Solid Snake
05-07-09, 09:39 AM
For the length of the film it didn't feel long for sure...well to some of us. Still kinda wished we had that Rorschach origin...alas...

Torchur317
05-07-09, 09:47 AM
The only thing homophobic about the movie was in the audience.
Nothing wrong with guys not wanting to see penis.... -ohbfrank- :yack:
That's a normal reaction IMO.... :shrug:
I didn't yell at the screen or make sounds but I wish they toned it down a bit.

Giles
05-07-09, 10:27 AM
^ ... moving on ... straight guys are such prudes and hypocrites about on-screen male nudity, some of us, and gals like are unoffended at seeing shlong (even if it's blue) ... tone it down?... just look away or don't buy it. [now scurry off and watch your Skinemax ;) )

majorjoe23
05-07-09, 10:55 AM
^ ... moving on ... straight guys are such prudes and hypocrites about on-screen male nudity, some of us, and gals like are unoffended at seeing shlong (even if it's blue) ... tone it down?... just look away or don't buy it. [now scurry off and watch your Skinemax ;) )

The sex scene in Watchmen was straight out of Skinemax, this will be conflicting for some.

philip74
05-07-09, 01:58 PM
Nothing wrong with guys not wanting to see penis.... -ohbfrank- :yack:
That's a normal reaction IMO.... :shrug:
I didn't yell at the screen or make sounds but I wish they toned it down a bit.

well unfortunately america is a country where you can show 500 bodies exploding or shot, but dare to show one nipple and everyone is outraged :)
funny thing being, that in most european countries its exactly the opposite.

Giles
05-07-09, 02:09 PM
and then you have Japan where they love their extreme violence and B&D videos but can't show pubes or genitals - wtf?

canaryfarmer
05-07-09, 02:39 PM
They don't actually have any, so they blur the area so as not to frighten the rest of the world.

Torchur317
05-07-09, 02:55 PM
show one nipple and everyone is outraged :)
I'm not a prude or anything....
I'm all about female nudity, I have no problem with it....
So I dunno why you are quoting me on this? :confused:
I'll be a hypocrite all day with male nudity because I do not want to see it....
I could care less if it's equal or not, it's simple as that....

Giles
05-07-09, 02:58 PM
They don't actually have any, so they blur the area so as not to frighten the rest of the world.

ah-hah! so that's the secret ;)

philip74
05-07-09, 03:05 PM
I'm not a prude or anything....
I'm all about female nudity, I have no problem with it....
So I dunno why you are quoting me on this? :confused:
I'll be a hypocrite all day with male nudity because I do not want to see it....
I could care less if it's equal or not, it's simple as that....

i just made a general remark, but then again seeing a penis shouldn`t shock you, after all you see one everyday in the mirror :)
although i agree with you, that i would also much rather see tits than male
genetalia, why not give female fans some nice images for a change :)
i am sure they are not offended or uncomfortable to see boobs on screen :)

Giles
05-07-09, 03:09 PM
i just made a general remark, but then again seeing a penis shouldn`t shock you, after all you see one everyday in the mirror :)

although i agree with you, that i would also much rather see tits than male
genetalia, why not give female fans some nice images for a change :)
i am sure they are not offended or uncomfortable to see boobs on screen :)

one would hope! :lol: sorry, but making a witty comment like that was like taking candy from a child.

WMAangel
05-07-09, 04:50 PM

In the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy:

"If you buy the multi-disc special edition of a movie you hated, just because it has hours of bonus features..........you might be a DVD addict!"

nodeerforamonth
05-07-09, 08:21 PM
if you believe that most homophobic people are in the closet themselves.

LOL...

I'm afraid of spiders. It doesn't mean I actually love them.

Navinabob
05-08-09, 12:46 AM
LOL...

I'm afraid of spiders. It doesn't mean I actually love them.

No... it means you have a vagina *ZING*

But seriously, spiders are evil and must be feared. Especially fast or white spiders as they are highest on the hebe-jebe-really-icky scale. See below.

Scary
10 - Eggs left behind in your brain by a spider
9 - White spiders and /or fast spiders
8 - That scene in the Ring
7 - Your significant other going through your web-browser history
6 - That video on Youtube of the guy's arm who fell off a skateboard
5 - Multi-colored frogs
4 - Clowns
3 - Puppies eating snow
2 - Blue penis
1 - Bubbles
Not Scary

kstublen
05-10-09, 10:06 AM
Possible US Cover Art:

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/4892/wm09dvd0001p.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1880/wm09dvd0002.jpg

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/2280/wm09dvd0003.jpg

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1360/wm09bd0001w.jpg

(Credit to Andre@s at SuperHeroHype)

BullGooseLoony
05-10-09, 10:25 AM
Neither is all that impressive.

Fingers crossed for a steelbook.

TomOpus
05-10-09, 11:07 AM
Okay, those covers suck :(

Mike UFC
05-10-09, 11:11 AM
Great. A digital copy edition. Special features will probably be a commentary and a short making of fluff piece. I guess I'm waiting until December for this one (unless there's a steelbook).

chris_sc77
05-10-09, 11:24 AM
I would like to murder the asshole who started this digital copy shit. May they burn n hell forever.

kstublen
05-10-09, 11:33 AM
I would like to murder the asshole who started this digital copy shit. May they burn n hell forever.

Yeah I agree. They deserve the worst possible punishment that can be bestowed upon them. It's bad enough that they charge you more for the pointless disc, but then they have to ruin perfectly good cover art with that ugly "Digital Copy" logo.

I wouldn't mind if they threw it in there free of charge or set up websites where if you buy the DVD you pay like $0.99 for the digital copy, but the disc is a waste of money and it's unfair to charge those of us that want the Director's Cut more to get a second copy of the film that may or may not be transferable to iTunes.

Rammsteinfan
05-10-09, 11:47 AM
Why couldnt they just use the smiley button on a black background for the cover art? *sigh* BD for me for sure on day 1.

kstublen
05-10-09, 11:51 AM
Why couldnt they just use the smiley button on a black background for the cover art? *sigh* BD for me for sure on day 1.

Smiley World Corporation, I think the name is, owns the Trademark/Copyright of the Smiley Face Logo. If Watchmen wanted to use it prominently on covers or advertising, it would have to pay a hefty fee. They're allowed certain uses free of charge I think, such as The Comedian wearing it, etc. but for the most part it cannot be used in advertisements or merchandising, period.

Rammsteinfan
05-10-09, 12:03 PM
Smiley World Corporation, I think the name is, owns the Trademark/Copyright of the Smiley Face Logo. If Watchmen wanted to use it prominently on covers or advertising, it would have to pay a hefty fee. They're allowed certain uses free of charge I think, such as The Comedian wearing it, etc. but for the most part it cannot be used in advertisements or merchandising, period.

Ah then that would make sense. Guess that is why some of the graphic novels i have seen lately for Watchmen just show the close up of the blood and the eye of the simley button and not the whole thing. As long as the content inside the case is great, the cover wont matter much no matter how great or boring it is.

wd40cloud
05-10-09, 12:59 PM
Since WB typically makes disc one of their two disc affairs a carbon copy of their single disc releases, I'm guessing this will be set up similarly to their 'I Am Legend" two disc, theatrical cut = disc one, =director's cut = disc two.

Jason
05-10-09, 01:42 PM
Okay, those covers suck :(

Yeah, they're pretty bad. What's the deal with Rorschach's gun being so prominently displayed? It was never the focus of anything in the movie.

BillWatkins
05-10-09, 02:03 PM
Nevermind the Digital Copy, I still can't believe they are making full screen versions.

drak b
05-10-09, 02:53 PM
In the spirit of Jeff Foxworthy:

"If you buy the multi-disc special edition of a movie you hated, just because it has hours of bonus features..........you might be a DVD addict!"

Iíll go one better.

"If you remember multi-disc special editions of movies with hours of bonus features, you must have been a DVD addict before the advent of digital copies!"

kstublen
05-10-09, 02:56 PM
Nevermind the Digital Copy, I still can't believe they are making full screen versions.

...wait, so you actually like those annoying black bars and seeing scenes in their entirety?

Rypro 525
05-10-09, 03:51 PM
so wait, the only way to get the directors cut is the 2 disc digital copy crap? fuck that. cause we know blockbuster/redbox/netfix will only do the 1 disc version

fumanstan
05-10-09, 04:01 PM
I think it would have been cool just to have a big huge Dr. Manhatten on the cover :)

WMAangel
05-10-09, 04:34 PM
While the director's cut will probably be considered "better" and "closer to the graphic novel", I hope Warner adds a seamless branching option to the Blu-ray to choose between the theatrical cut and the director's cut, as I never did catch this one in the theater and I like to have the option....

canaryfarmer
05-10-09, 06:18 PM
D'awww...Rorschach has such a cute little button nose.

Giles
05-11-09, 11:39 AM
I guess I'm in the minority - I don't mind the covers.

Torchur317
05-11-09, 12:21 PM
Same here, I actually like them....

Solid Snake
05-12-09, 12:08 AM
I wish they had better covers....but I guess the Blu and 2 disc ones are the better. WTF is with people still getting full frame? Ever since Ghostbusters on VHS did I swear never to buy a full framed version of a film.

Seantn
05-12-09, 12:12 AM
Come on, look at the bright side. If the DVDs had good covers, you might not be able to complain as much.

xage
05-12-09, 01:00 AM
This is not final... but my Crystal Ball (my source) Tells me... its 70% correct:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/wman.jpg

JeffTheAlpaca
05-12-09, 02:45 AM
if the posted cover artwork is true the single discs will have better artwork than the 2 disc special edition.

not surprised.

ReduxGuy
05-12-09, 02:54 AM
The steelbook cover looks pretty badass.

Josh-da-man
05-12-09, 03:08 AM
Might have to pick up that steelbook, though if it's an FYE Exclusive I'll won't be able to find one. (My FYE blows.)

I've not been too impressed with any of the Target "head" covers I've seen, so I can pass on those.

nitin77
05-12-09, 07:03 AM
so you cant watch the theatrical cut unless you separately buy the 1 disc or want to see the digital copy?

surely not...

BullGooseLoony
05-12-09, 07:10 AM
This is not final... but my Crystal Ball (my source) Tells me... its 70% correct:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/wman.jpg What's your source? If this is legit, then steelbook it is.

JeffTheAlpaca
05-12-09, 07:36 AM
it looks legit since dvdactive.com has the same artwork posted.

kstublen
05-12-09, 07:40 AM
Here's some more images of some of the stuff xage posted above. While they haven't been confirmed for the US yet, they have been confirmed for the United Kingdom:

HMV DVD Blu-ray Exclusive
http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/SSGAMES/watchdvd.jpg
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=4276;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=765283&WT.ac=FEAT_WATCHMEN_MAG-PBODY-FEAT_WATCHMEN_MAIN-765283

HMV Blu-ray Exclusive
http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/SSGAMES/watchblu.jpg
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=288;12;-1;-1;-1&sku=939440&tduid=765a660a7a4e9ec26961fdf7157da518

Also, there is a confirmed SteelBook for Germany and that cover is the one that is floating around right now. Personally, I hope the cover for the SteelBook changes and looks exactly like the cover of the graphic novel, but I think that's doubtful. I don't mind the one they have there, except for the small sliver of the city in the background; seems pointless to me.

canaryfarmer
05-12-09, 08:22 AM
Hahaha, those face-holders look so cheap.

Solid Snake
05-12-09, 08:52 AM
Yeah those face ones look crappy...steelbook looks badass though...

chris_sc77
05-12-09, 09:16 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!
Check out these laughably shitty special features:
"2-disc DVD will include a The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics featurette, 30 minutes of Video Journals, a My Chemical Romance Desolation Row music video, and a digital copy of the theatrical version. The Blu-ray release will include all of that, along with 2 additional featurettes ("Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes", "Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World"), 30 minutes of Watchmen Focus Points, and a Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode."

Honestly Both releases sound like the work done by amateurs though. I want to kill the poeple in charge of Warner Bros new releases.
SO Warner Bros once again fucks us in the asshole with this Blu-ray Exclusive shit. Anyone know where I can send them an e-mail to give them a piece of my mind?

Giles
05-12-09, 09:26 AM
I think it would have been cool just to have a big huge Dr. Manhatten on the cover :)

but he looks nudered. (that will please the straight guys :lol: )

kstublen
05-12-09, 10:37 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!
"2-disc DVD will include a The Phenomenon: The Comic that Changed Comics featurette, 30 minutes of Video Journals, a My Chemical Romance Desolation Row music video, and a digital copy of the theatrical version. The Blu-ray release will include all of that, along with 2 additional featurettes ("Real Super Heroes, Real Vigilantes", "Mechanics: Technologies of a Fantastic World"), 30 minutes of Watchmen Focus Points, and a Warner Bros. Maximum Movie Mode."

Honestly Both releases sound like the work done by amateurs though. I want to kill the poeple in charge of Warner Bros new releases.
SO Warner Bros once again fucks us in the asshole with this Blu-ray Exclusive shit. Anyone know where I can send them an e-mail to give them a piece of my mind?

I dunno about the rest, but the video journals are actually pretty good; glad to see they're included.

I imagine they are saving a lot of the special features for the Ultimate Edition to be released later this year.

toddly6666
05-12-09, 11:47 AM

I'm all for something simple and iconic as opposed to a messy Photoshop collage.

wait for the Spanish DVD PAL release then. I don't think I've ever seen a country with so many damn steelbooks of their DVDs as I did see in Spain.

toddly6666
05-12-09, 11:57 AM
OMFG!!!!!!!

Why would Warner not bleed fans' wallets on this movie? They know that they are going to make money on every single DVD version that they release: All four DVD/Blu-Ray releases will make dough, and so will future ones.

SunMonkey
05-12-09, 02:35 PM
So, is there any confirmed release editions? I ask because this (poorly edited) article states that Director's Cut will only be available on Blu-Ray.

..."Watchmen" will be released in DVD and Blu-ray simultaneously in late July on DVD and Blu-ray, with the theatrical version going out on standard disc. The standard DVD will sell for $28.98 and the Blu-ray director's cut for $35.99.

There will be no bonus features on the standard-disc version of "Watchmen," while a special edition DVD of the directors cut -- retailing for $34.99 -- will place elaborate bonus features on a second disc. A street date of July 21 or July 28 was being finalized, making for a release either just before or after the annual Comic-Con convention, which runs in San Diego from July 22 to July 26....

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20090512/wr_nm/us_watchmen_2

Mr. Cinema
05-12-09, 03:03 PM
The single disc dvd is the theatrical cut. The 2-disc dvd is the director's cut with a digital copy of the theatrical. The BD is the director's cut with a digital copy of the theatrical.

DVD Giant
05-12-09, 03:40 PM
July 28th per DVDActive.

OldBoy
05-12-09, 03:47 PM
who's gonna have the R1 SteelBook?

kstublen
05-12-09, 04:12 PM
who's gonna have the R1 SteelBook?

Probably FYE. If Best Buy has the Archie Bust, I don't see who else would have the SteelBook.

philip74
05-12-09, 04:13 PM

you`ll have to pick a number, they are on my shitlist since the friday the
13th remake release was announced :)
don`t even bother writing to them, i sent numerous mails regarding friday13, no one ever bothered to answer. they couldn`t care less about their customers....
funny thing is that in entourage the warner studio head is the most arrogant ahole :) honestly i wouldn`t be surprised if they depicted reality with their portray in the show :) i also remember that he had a heart attack playing golf on the show :)

OldBoy
05-12-09, 04:25 PM
you`ll have to pick a number, they are on my shitlist since the friday the
13th remake release was announced :)
don`t even bother writing to them, i sent numerous mails regarding friday13, no one ever bothered to answer. they couldn`t care less about their customers....
funny thing is that in entourage the warner studio head is the most arrogant ahole :) honestly i wouldn`t be surprised if they depicted reality with their portray in the show :) i also remember that he had a heart attack playing golf on the show :)

i also heard that no release of "Watchmen" will come with a slipcover! (runs for the hills)

philip74
05-12-09, 04:41 PM
i also heard that no release of "Watchmen" will come with a slipcover! (runs for the hills)

well, i guess in this case the special edition actually comes with one.....
but they are definitely not forgiven for screwing up the friday13 release :)
seems as always the movies i most desperately want don`t come with one :)

xage
05-12-09, 08:59 PM
On top of the plastic will be an actual cloth textile

HMV DVD Blu-ray Exclusive
http://www3.hmv.co.uk/hmv/Large_Images/SSGAMES/watchdvd.jpg
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=4276;0;-1;-1;-1&sku=765283&WT.ac=FEAT_WATCHMEN_MAG-PBODY-FEAT_WATCHMEN_MAIN-765283

fumanstan
05-12-09, 10:51 PM
OMFG!!!!!!!

I think it's funny that we get to add the Blu-ray exclusivity complaint with your already famous "R-rating" and "2+ hours" shticks. Awesome.

canaryfarmer
05-12-09, 11:19 PM
On top of the plastic will be an actual cloth textile

Doesn't matter, they both still look like something you'd find being sold on a street corner.

The Valeyard
05-12-09, 11:55 PM
No Blu-Ray release for the Theatrical Cut? WTF?

nodeerforamonth
05-13-09, 12:48 AM
No INSERT=NO SALE!

SunMonkey
05-13-09, 05:19 AM
The single disc dvd is the theatrical cut. The 2-disc dvd is the director's cut with a digital copy of the theatrical. The BD is the director's cut with a digital copy of the theatrical.

Umm, yeah... I can't read. :blush:

islandclaws
05-13-09, 11:07 AM
I really want to pick up the BD because I loved the film, but it sucks knowing a better edition is right down the road. Decisions, decisions....

Bandit03
05-13-09, 08:20 PM
I really want to pick up the BD because I loved the film, but it sucks knowing a better edition is right down the road. Decisions, decisions....

Agreed. I'll probably netflix this version and wait to buy the ulitmate edition later this year.

xage
05-16-09, 01:32 PM

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/wman.jpg
What's your source? If this is legit, then steelbook it is.

I cannot disclose my source however I can tell you its totally legit. Though I was advised that there might be some changes prior its release.

Anyways, here is the detailed marketing concept for Dr. Manhattan Relief Case:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/watchmens.jpg

kstublen
05-28-09, 06:33 PM
http://www.watchmencomicmovie.com/052809-watchmen-blu-ray-ps3-video-game.php

It has been reported that the Director's Cut on Blu-ray will include Parts I and II of the Watchmen game, titled The End Is Nigh. The game got mediocre reviews, but it is a cool extra nonetheless.

I cannot disclose my source however I can tell you its totally legit. Though I was advised that there might be some changes prior its release.

Anyways, here is the detailed marketing concept for Dr. Manhattan Relief Case:

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/watchmens.jpg

I posted on another forum when I saw the pictures of the Dr. Manhattan Blu-ray and Rorschach DVD, that I thought the former had potential to be either translucent or glow-in-the-dark and the latter to have actual cloth material. Glad to see I turned out to be right.

fumanstan
05-29-09, 10:55 AM
That Dr. Manhattan looks hideous :lol:

jjcool
05-29-09, 11:16 AM
That Dr. Manhattan looks hideous :lol:

Agreed.

kstublen
06-02-09, 07:51 PM
Watchmen (Amazon Exclusive Night Owl Ship) (Blu-ray)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wKTHfGZUL._SS400_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CHGWyJrqL._SS400_.jpg

List Price: $119.99
Sale Price: $83.99

http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Amazon-Exclusive-Night-Blu-ray/dp/B002BNKQDK/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1243990103&sr=1-11

Bandit03
06-02-09, 08:02 PM
^
Now that looks cool, but way too pricey

mh4268
06-03-09, 09:07 AM
I wish I could see that amazon exclusive in person before purchase, I would want to see the quality/dimension of it first.

kstublen
06-03-09, 10:00 AM
I wish I could see that amazon exclusive in person before purchase, I would want to see the quality/dimension of it first.

It looks to be about 2 DVDs in length, 1 DVD in width, and 2-3 DVDs in height.

CagedDVD
06-03-09, 12:51 PM
That's a sweet amazon exclusive.

BillWatkins
06-03-09, 02:10 PM
Is there a confirmed steelbook yet for R1?

mh4268
06-03-09, 02:11 PM
It looks to be about 2 DVDs in length, 1 DVD in width, and 2-3 DVDs in height.

That's about what I'm thinking as well. Just sometimes these things much better in the promotional picture than in real life. It could be cheap looking plastic. I just wish this was a store exclusive so I could see it first before biting the bullet

kstublen
06-03-09, 08:37 PM
That's about what I'm thinking as well. Just sometimes these things much better in the promotional picture than in real life. It could be cheap looking plastic. I just wish this was a store exclusive so I could see it first before biting the bullet

Depending on how its packaged, you could always order it from Amazon, see if it is to your liking, and if it isn't, then return it. That of course depends on if you can see through the box or see the statue without breaking the seal of the Blu-rays.

hanshotfirst1138
06-03-09, 09:28 PM
Netflix had BETTER have the second disc. This new phenomenon of separate releases, one barebones, the other with special features (as opposed to when the single-disc version used to contain whatever extras were were on disc on of the double-disc version, which made far more logical sense) is tiresome. But I digress. This looks pretty threadbare in the extras department. I'm surprised that that's it. So is the new footage just Tales, or something else? I'm betting on another release down the line.

chris_sc77
06-03-09, 09:58 PM
Netflix had BETTER have the second disc. This new phenomenon of separate releases, one barebones, the other with special features (as opposed to when the single-disc version used to contain whatever extras were were on disc on of the double-disc version, which made far more logical sense) is tiresome. But I digress. This looks pretty threadbare in the extras department. I'm surprised that that's it. So is the new footage just Tales, or something else? I'm betting on another release down the line.

I would just take a guess that the film will be broken up and split over the 2 disks. I wonder if Netflix will get the Director's cut at all or how they will go about doing this. I wouldnt be surprised of the only rented out the Theatrical WS version of the film or something. Maybe the DC will be a flipper and the 2nd dsk will be ONLY the USELESS Digital Copy. I myself am curious to see how they will handle this.

the Director's cut lasts 186 minutes. Warner Bros is known for breaking up films that last even less than 3 hours onto 2 disks recently. Even if they could easily fit the film on one disk. (Prince of the City, Quo Vadis, etc.)

shacmasta
06-07-09, 04:50 PM
Awesome exclusives. I'm in for all of them, no doubt about that!

JAYARE
06-07-09, 06:12 PM
great exclusives! i didnt like the movie much but might have to get it just for the exclusives.

BillWatkins
06-11-09, 03:23 PM
Futureshop Canada has a Blu-ray Steelbook up for preorder.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FSM2167715&catid=24084

There isn't a listing for a DVD steelbook. It's possible they haven't listed it yet but more likely that only blu will be getting the steelbook.

johnsun
06-13-09, 06:50 PM
I got this summer booket from Bestbuy Canada which shows the Rorschach Mask as a Bestbuy Canada Blu-Ray exclusive:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r111/JasonSolaris/scan0001-4.jpg

It's a good chance it'll be also for Bestbuy US.
Later

canaryfarmer
06-14-09, 04:45 PM
Aaaaaaand it still looks like it cost $1.99 to make.

kstublen
06-16-09, 08:16 PM
BestBuy has put up the SKU for their exclusive, DVD and BlueRay, cannot verify but I am about 60% sure they are Steelbooks.

DVD SKU 9389761
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9389761&st=watchmen&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=2003127

BlueRay SKU:9389752
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9389752&st=watchmen&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=2003126

Can any one confirm these are steelbooks 100% ?

:D

Might turn out to not be SteelBooks if Best Buy Canada is any indication. Best Buy Canada has the Rorschach mask, so Best Buy in the US might have the masks this time around.

kstublen
06-16-09, 08:36 PM
I think the masks are going to be Target Exclusives, all of the exclusives for masks and similar package from that manufacturer have been at Target, Iron Man (both of masks), Dark Knight, Transformers and Hulk.

I agree that it is most likely the masks will show up at Target, just seems odd that Best Buy in Canada will have the masks and then the Best Buy in the US wont. I'm also skeptical about the links being SteelBooks because the US hasn't had a Blu-ray released in a SteelBook yet (aside from the James Bond ones). I hope it is a SteelBook though.

MrStayPuft
06-16-09, 11:55 PM
Doesn't seem likely to be a steelbook to me, $32.99 is too pricey for a steelbook. Past BB steelbook exclusives were the same price as the 2 disc editions.

Solid Snake
06-16-09, 11:57 PM
That's a high ass price for a DVD. Aren't they usually $22.99 here in the states?

kstublen
06-17-09, 12:12 AM
I'm thinking we may see something along the lines of the 300 and V For Vendetta Gift Sets.

BullGooseLoony
06-17-09, 07:32 AM
The Steelbook is most like going to be for FYE. I don't like it, but it's just a feeling.

Willo007
06-18-09, 12:03 AM
Just an FYI,

The prizes for the Amazon BluRay are drastically different between Anazon.com
$83.99 http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51c2bcTb9vL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

Link: http://www.amazon.com/Watchmen-Directors-Exclusive-Digital-BD-Live/dp/B002BNKQDK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245301069&sr=1-4

and the Amazon.CA exclusive BlueRay CDN$ 69.99

Link: http://www.amazon.ca/Watchmen-Three-Disc-English-French-Language-Exclusive/dp/B002CTHZDC/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1245301044&sr=1-12

:D

stingermck
06-18-09, 07:49 AM

Yeah really. Remember when DVD had exclusive features that VHS didnt?!

I see in the Deals thread that WB is giving Black Freighter for $5 with purchase. I assume thats a way to move some copies, before a huge set combines all releases.

kstublen
06-18-09, 12:42 PM

To be fair, there are some things that you can do with Blu-ray that you can't do with DVD. And if you are mad now, I don't wanna see what happens if the rumours about the Ultimate Edition only being released on Blu-ray turn out to be true.

philip74
06-18-09, 01:05 PM
To be fair, there are some things that you can do with Blu-ray that you can't do with DVD. And if you are mad now, I don't wanna see what happens if the rumours about the Ultimate Edition only being released on Blu-ray turn out to be true.

save your time! i have written them mails, because i was mad about their friday the 13th release policy, but they are too arrogant and ignorant to respond to their customer emails anyhow...

OldBoy
06-18-09, 01:25 PM
if this doesn't come with a slipcover then all bets are off and i would rather buy the DVD, piss on it and send it back!!!

canaryfarmer
06-18-09, 03:33 PM
You're weird.

mdnitoil
06-18-09, 06:08 PM
To be fair, there are some things that you can do with Blu-ray that you can't do with DVD. And if you are mad now, I don't wanna see what happens if the rumours about the Ultimate Edition only being released on Blu-ray turn out to be true.Now that would be an interesting idea. Create an entirely new cut and then only sell it to 10% of the disc-buying market. -screwy-

I'd say the odds of this happening were right around zero. If Warner is going to invest any more money into this, then they're going to give themselves every possible opportunity to get a return on their investment.

kstublen
06-18-09, 08:13 PM
Now that would be an interesting idea. Create an entirely new cut and then only sell it to 10% of the disc-buying market. -screwy-

I'd say the odds of this happening were right around zero. If Warner is going to invest any more money into this, then they're going to give themselves every possible opportunity to get a return on their investment.

Just stating some rumours that are circulating. I hope it doesn't turn out to be true because that would suck for a lot of Watchmen fans that don't have Blu-ray Players. Still, it is always a possibility.

johnsun
06-18-09, 08:24 PM
HMV Canada list a bonus Blu-Ray version on their website here. (http://www.hmv.ca/hmvcaweb/en_CA/displayProductDetails.do?sku=1271726) I asked someone in store to check their computers and there's a memo in their listing that states it'll be the Dr Manhattan mask..

HMV Canada and Target have been known to share exclusives..
Later

ScottsdaleSaint
06-19-09, 12:19 AM
The Steelbook is most like going to be for FYE. I don't like it, but it's just a feeling.

Not likely. It's about a month from release, and there isn't a pre-order for the steelbook at FYE, which I was able to do for the Iron Man and Dark Knight steelbooks. They also had the same option for the Indiana Jones and Godfather steelbooks and you were able to do that several months ahead of the release date. It would be great if they get it, since it doesn't appear to be any of the other major retailers (at this moment anyways), but it sure doesn't look like it.

Just so I'm covered, I've ordered the two R2 steelbooks that are available, including the SmileyFace one that is limited to 999.:)

WMAangel
06-19-09, 10:27 AM
Now that would be an interesting idea. Create an entirely new cut and then only sell it to 10% of the disc-buying market. -screwy-

This has already been done, not by Warner but by other companies (Sony and Paramount for example)....
The Da Vinci Code Blu-ray features the extended cut of the film, which was not released on standard DVD here in R1.....
The Star Trek Blu-ray box set features the theatrical cuts of Parts 1 and 6, which also have not been released on DVD here either....

slop101
06-19-09, 12:00 PM
Since Best Buy had the steelbook exclusive for Tales of the Black Freighter, is it out of the realm of possibility that they could have a steelbook for Watchmen?

islandclaws
06-19-09, 12:33 PM
I yearn for the day when the film itself is a Blu-ray exclusive and the DVD just contains some bonus material along with a 90 min ad for Blu-ray and its AWESOMENESS.

kstublen
06-19-09, 12:58 PM
Since Best Buy had the steelbook exclusive for Tales of the Black Freighter, is it out of the realm of possibility that they could have a steelbook for Watchmen?

I thought that too, but Best Buy released Batman: Gotham Knight SteelBook and then FYE released The Dark Knight SteelBook.

iNCREDiPiNOY
06-20-09, 12:22 AM
Watchmen (2009) & Watchmen - The Black Frightener - 3-Disc Special Edition Steelbook

http://www.world-of-video.de/typo3temp/pics/c28a4d5ca9.jpg

WOV (World-of-Videos) Exclusive - Extremely Limited

Price: €38,99 ($54.34)
Release Date: August 20, 2009

Come with 3 Exclusive Postcards

http://www.world-of-video.de/typo3temp/pics/525a88b7b6.jpg

http://www.world-of-video.de/typo3temp/pics/cce84b0228.jpg

http://www.world-of-video.de/typo3temp/pics/7e1d9802d9.jpg

http://www.world-of-video.de/index.php?id=105&no_cache=1&tx_shopengine_pi1[Artikel_ID]=92965

P.S. They don't ship to USA, only in Germany. :mad:

iNCREDiPiNOY
06-20-09, 02:58 AM
Best Buy Online updated with Artwork.

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/musicmoviegame/pdpimages/9389752.jpg Watchmen Mask Exclusive - Blu-ray - $39.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9389752&st=watchmen&lp=5&type=product&cp=1&id=2003126

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/musicmoviegame/pdpimages/9389761.jpg Watchmen Mask Exclusive - DVD - $32.99
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9389761&st=watchmen&lp=6&type=product&cp=1&id=2003127

Willo007
06-20-09, 03:55 AM

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/musicmoviegame/pdpimages/9389752.jpg Watchmen Mask Exclusive - Blu-ray - $39.99

http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/musicmoviegame/pdpimages/9389761.jpg Watchmen Mask Exclusive - DVD - $32.99

:(

kstublen
06-20-09, 04:09 AM

Thought so because of Best Buy Canada releasing the Rorschach Mask. Still comes as some of a surprise that Target isn't releasing them. Hopefully FYE will have a SteelBook.

johnsun
06-20-09, 10:04 AM
Kinda bummed that Canada doesn't have a SD exclusive mask.. I haven't gotten into the high def medium yet.. At least the price at HMV Canada is inline with the US pricing for the Dr. Manhattan Blu-Ray mask at $37.99 CDN..

Price for the Best Buy Canada Blu-Ray Rorschach mask is yet to be determined..
Later

The Valeyard
06-20-09, 12:18 PM
Hopefully the prices will drop a bit toward release day.

johnsun
06-20-09, 10:10 PM
A bit promising. I stumbled on the HMV pre-order page (http://www.hmv.ca/hmvcaweb/en_CA/navigate.do?pPageID=1094)and noticed at the bottom if you:

Pre-order Watchmen on Blu-ray, to guarantee your copy of the exclusive Dr. Manhattan packaging!

But the link is for the regular Blu-Ray version for $32.99.. I might have to check instore if that will work as there's a separate listing for the bonus mask packaging.. At the time, they'll getting 70 Blu-Ray and 15 bonus Dr. Manhattan packaging..
Later

kstublen
06-20-09, 10:37 PM
I don't know about Canada, but I'm not too worried about these going OOP in the United States all that fast. I mean, Iron Man and The Dark Knight were much bigger movies and much more mainstream; their DVD releases received much more press and you can still find some of the exclusives for them in stores. Watchmen wasn't nearly as popular and is relatively unknown by comparison. I'm still going to pick up the exclusives on release day, but I'm not worried about finding them in stores.

jjcool
06-21-09, 11:31 AM

Didnt someone here say these were going to be steelbooks?

johnsun
06-21-09, 12:03 PM
Didnt someone here say these were going to be steelbooks?

Someone jumped the gun. The only confirmed SteelBook at the moment is the BluRay exclusive to Futureshop..
Later

davidh777
06-21-09, 01:40 PM
Not sure what I'd do with the mask :shrug:

iNCREDiPiNOY
06-21-09, 02:49 PM
Already ordered the Blu-ray Steelbook and i'm still behind the fence whether or not to buy the 3-disc dvd steelbook.

OldBoy
06-21-09, 09:18 PM
i'm still behind the fence whether or not to buy the 3-disc dvd steelbook.

but that is not an R1 release correct?

will94
06-21-09, 09:48 PM
I really want to get the Futureshop Steelbook for BluRay (it is R1 right?) but it says it's sold out on their site. Does Future Shop usually re-stock, or is it out for good?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see they don't ship to the States. I'd be willing to pay purchase price + shipping + a few extra bucks for the trouble to get one of these if someone is willing to help me out when it's released next month.

chris_sc77
06-21-09, 09:57 PM
3-disk DVD Steelbook? What's this?

shyguy1083
06-21-09, 11:17 PM
disappointed with best buy's masks. wish they'd have a steelbook to match TOTBF.

they're also giving out a small set of buttons to those who pre-order. it's gonna be a set of 6. don't know if they're best buy exclusive or if maybe they're some items that used to be sold, but that's starting next week.

Willo007
06-21-09, 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNCREDiPiNOY View Post
i'm still behind the fence whether or not to buy the 3-disc dvd steelbook.

but that is not an R1 release correct?

3-disk DVD Steelbook? What's this?
I believe he is refering to his own post at the International Steelbook thread:

http://www.world-of-video.de/typo3temp/pics/c28a4d5ca9.jpg

ozzfan84
06-23-09, 07:34 AM
Is there a way to preorder the futureshop steelbook if you don't live in Canada?

pete5000
06-23-09, 12:31 PM
HA! I see in the description at Future Shop:

Extra info: Canadian Director's Cut; 2-Disc

So we should have some great over-dubbing with lines like:
"So Dr. Tronna, good hockey game last night eh?"
"You bet, Cap'n Inkblot! It wuz preddy broodle!"

$37.99? I haven't paid that much for a movie since 1998!

iNCREDiPiNOY
06-23-09, 02:23 PM
I got a shipping quote from (WOV) World-of-Videos, even though German website won't ship to overseas. It is 40 Euros shipping and must pay advance before it sold out.

toddly6666
06-23-09, 02:38 PM
all of this trouble for just a DVD case...

hindolio
06-23-09, 11:16 PM
all of this trouble for just a DVD case...

yep :D

BullGooseLoony
07-04-09, 11:27 AM
I know there'll be the futureshop blu-ray, but can anyone confirm yet whether or not there will be a U.S. DVD steelbook?

Willo007
07-04-09, 02:26 PM
I know there'll be the futureshop blu-ray, but can anyone confirm yet whether or not there will be a U.S. DVD steelbook?

So sar, it looks like there will not be an R1 reg DVD Steelbook. :(

iNCREDiPiNOY
07-04-09, 05:48 PM
FNAC France releasing this on DVD R2 SteelBook as store exclusive, no BD :(

OldBoy
07-04-09, 11:48 PM
FNAC France releasing this on DVD R2 SteelBook as store exclusive, no BD :(

pic?

kstublen
07-04-09, 11:50 PM
Can we save all this talk about Non-Region 1 releases for the International Forum?

philip74
07-06-09, 04:08 AM
cool, the regular 2 disc directors cut will come with a lenticular slipcover!

you can see a pic here:
http://forum.cinefacts.de/6256618-post33.html

komsik
07-06-09, 04:41 AM
cool, the regular 2 disc directors cut will come with a lenticular slipcover!

you can see a pic here:
http://forum.cinefacts.de/6256618-post33.html

You have to register at that site first to see the picture:

http://i40.tinypic.com/29zsyfd.jpg

OldBoy
07-06-09, 01:01 PM
just asking, but why buy this if the 5-Disc is already announced and coming out in Dec? i'm sure price won't be too much more as double dips tend to be reasonable...

Giles
07-06-09, 01:40 PM
question: what theatre in New York City is hosting the week long 'director's cut' theatrical screening?

toddly6666
07-06-09, 04:35 PM
just asking, but why buy this if the 5-Disc is already announced and coming out in Dec? i'm sure price won't be too much more as double dips tend to be reasonable...

lack of self-control, for me at least.

OldBoy
07-06-09, 04:49 PM
lack of self-control, for me at least.

rent?

toddly6666
07-06-09, 06:04 PM
rent?

Haha!

Gaff
07-06-09, 06:07 PM
Honestly I'm still reeling from seeing it 3 times the first week it came out... I can't even look at the spine of the graphic novel on my book shelf, haha.

Tales of the Black Freighter might encourage me to get the DVD sooner rather than later though... does anyone know if it's any good?

Solid Snake
07-06-09, 09:32 PM
question: what theatre in New York City is hosting the week long 'director's cut' theatrical screening?

http://watchmenmovie.warnerbros.com/dvd/screenings/index.html

johnsun
07-08-09, 07:50 PM

Canadians are getting screwed on the price Rorschach BluRay mask edition at $49.99 CDN. At least the HMV Canada Dr. Manhattan BluRay mask looks like it'll be $34.99 CDN.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/pdp/M2167714.jpg

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFSM2167714

hindolio
07-08-09, 09:15 PM
^ maybe, but yous guys are getting a steelbook to make up for it :/

Johnny Zhivago
07-08-09, 10:37 PM
Tales of the Black Freighter might encourage me to get the DVD sooner rather than later though... does anyone know if it's any good?

Yeah, Black Freighter is good... For what it is. Under the Hood is OK. Personally, I wouldn't buy it unless I felt the urge to have it. Makes a great extra though if you can score it cheap... Not sure how it will play when it is cut back into the film.

Myself... I'm passing on the "big" release and just grabbing the DC. Nothing fancy.

I read Watchmen when it was a first run BTW (12 issues) and loved the movie... (I'll be turning 39 in a month. ugh.)

Solid Snake
07-08-09, 10:40 PM
you're part of history

will94
07-11-09, 01:27 AM
It appears Warner is going to be releasing a hard copy of the downloadable video game they made for the movie.

The Playstation 3 version will be an "ultimate experience" edition that includes a copy of the movie on Blu-Ray:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/1549/2322443.jpg
- Contains the video game Watchmen: The End Is Nigh Parts 1 and 2 and the Watchmen movie on Blu-ray Disc with bonus features, along with exclusive artwork

Boba Fett
07-12-09, 04:01 AM
The Directors Cut is on one disc, with the few bonus features and digital copy (of the theatrical version I believe, I've yet to verify my copy) on the second disc.

Josh-da-man
07-12-09, 06:02 AM
Are there trailers on any edition? (Theatrical DVD, DC DVD, or Blu-ray)

rmick
07-12-09, 08:11 AM
Anyone have a scan of the flyer for the forthcoming ultimate edition coming out in December?

MrSmearkase
07-12-09, 08:16 AM
Anyone have a scan of the flyer for the forthcoming ultimate edition coming out in December?

Courtesy of Juicy.Fruit 84, in the other Watchmen DVD forum...

http://i27.tinypic.com/33acqps.jpg
http://i28.tinypic.com/2lvh20h.jpg

Rubix
07-12-09, 09:35 PM
is the $10 coupon only good on warnersbros.com?

Solid Snake
07-12-09, 11:56 PM
Deleted Scene but now inserted into the DC cut. It's kinda iffy with the Knottop dialogue...but I love the music used, the Raging Bull theme, and the 2min mark onward is pretty badass.

<object width="450" height="236"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12259"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12259" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="236" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Dr Mabuse
07-13-09, 12:20 AM
I just finished the Director's Cut.

It's a better movie for me, I really enjoyed it.

ReduxGuy
07-13-09, 01:48 PM
Deleted Scene but now inserted into the DC cut. It's kinda iffy with the Knottop dialogue...but I love the music used, the Raging Bull theme, and the 2min mark onward is pretty badass.

<object width="450" height="236"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12259"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/12259" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="236" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Well, at least now I know why that track "Don't Get Too Misty Eyed" was on the score.

kstublen
07-13-09, 02:12 PM
That scene really made me sad...Poor Hollis...

canaryfarmer
07-13-09, 03:28 PM
Dude went down swinging, though.

Solid Snake
07-13-09, 03:29 PM
That's what I love about the change to the scene.

nodeerforamonth
07-14-09, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the spoilers guys!

kstublen
07-14-09, 02:12 AM
Thanks for the spoilers guys!

I don't consider Hollis Mason's death a spoiler at all for several reasons:

1.) If you read the Graphic Novel, you know he dies.
2.) If you paid any attention to the news surrounding the Theatrical Release, there was plenty of mention of the Hollis Mason death scene being cut.
3.) If you paid any attention to news about the Director's Cut Release, there was plenty of discussion of the Hollis Mason death scene being included.

ScottsdaleSaint
07-14-09, 03:10 AM
I was actually going to say if you made it five months without the movie being spoiled, what the heck are you reading a movie specific DVD thread about the exact movie you've been waiting to see (although how much you wanted to see it is questionable, considering it was a mainstream release that was in theaters for about two months). Is there a chance people will be talking about plot specific elements in an upcoming DVD release...pretty danged likely.

Boba Fett
07-14-09, 03:31 AM

2.) If you paid any attention to the news surrounding the Theatrical Release, there was plenty of mention of the Hollis Mason death scene being cut.
3.) If you paid any attention to news about the Director's Cut Release, there was plenty of discussion of the Hollis Mason death scene being included.

Also a title on the original score was 'Who Murdered Hollis Mason?'

Solid Snake
07-14-09, 07:11 AM
I still think this was one of the best intros ever for a film.

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9323"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9323" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Question: That little bit where the girl puts a flower in that rifle's barrel...didn't something like that happen...just looks familiar to me.

Pointyskull
07-14-09, 07:20 AM

<object width="450" height="242"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9323"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/9323" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="450" height="242" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>

Agreed :thumbsup:

Question: That little bit where the girl puts a flower in that rifle's barrel...didn't something like that happen...just looks familiar to me.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/pointyskull/flowers_in_guns.jpg

JOE29
07-14-09, 07:25 AM
The Directors Cut is on one disc, with the few bonus features and digital copy (of the theatrical version I believe, I've yet to verify my copy) on the second disc.

According to Amazon this is true. What is a Amazon Digital Bundle?
I never heard of that before.

theWitcher
07-14-09, 07:55 AM

It's meant to evoke Allison Krause (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kent_State_shootings), who was reported to have "placed a flower in a Guardsman's rifle at Kent State and said softly: 'Flowers are better than bullets'" (Time, May. 18, 1970.) This incident apparently (or allegedly) happened the day before she was killed.

nitin77
07-14-09, 08:07 AM
so do we know if the 5 disc set will have all versions? Like the Blade Runner set.

kstublen
07-14-09, 10:44 AM
According to Amazon this is true. What is a Amazon Digital Bundle?
I never heard of that before.

I'm just guessing, but I think it might mean when you purchase it you also get it on Amazon-on-Demand.

Solid Snake
07-14-09, 12:00 PM
what's Amazon on Demand exactly?

kstublen
07-14-09, 01:27 PM
what's Amazon on Demand exactly?

You just download the song or video and can watch it on Amazon or on your computer.

madcougar
07-14-09, 03:44 PM
Sigh... the industry continues to screw itself over and over by turning people off. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a Blu Ray player just for this movie! But all of these different versions and the fact there's supposed to be an ultimate edition at the end of the year have really turned me off.

I'll just buy it used a few weeks from now at Hollywood. Warner Bros. can go F itself.

Boba Fett
07-14-09, 03:52 PM
Sigh... the industry continues to screw itself over and over by turning people off. I was going to bite the bullet and buy a Blu Ray player just for this movie! But all of these different versions and the fact there's supposed to be an ultimate edition at the end of the year have really turned me off.

I'll just buy it used a few weeks from now at Hollywood. Warner Bros. can go F itself.

It's not that confusing:

DVD Releases:
Theatrical Version

Directors Cut (w/ theatrical cut digital copy as bonus, a few interesting featurettes and $10 coupon for ultimate edition)

5-Disc Ultimate Edition which contains:
1.) Expanded directors cut with 'Black Freighter' integrated in proper places. (will also have Snyder/Gibbons commentary
2.) 2 hours of extras and 'Under the Hood' (previously on 'Black Freighter' stand alone)
3.) Complete motion comic
4.) Digital copy

Blu-Ray Releases:
Directors Cut (same as DVD plus a few more bonus features)

Ultimate Edition

I would highly suggest fans pick up the directors cut in either format as it is Snyder's preferred cut and despite the extra run-time has enough good stuff added in to make it worth watching over the theatrical edition. The 5-Disc set is for hardcore fans, I'll get it, but casual fans could easily pass on it and not miss out on anything.

heebiejeebie
07-14-09, 06:46 PM

:thumbsup:

vietduckboi
07-14-09, 10:20 PM
Sorry if this was answered, but does the Blu Ray version contain the theatrical cut as well?

ReduxGuy
07-14-09, 10:22 PM
Did that Blu-Ray review say DTS?

nodeerforamonth
07-15-09, 12:37 AM
I was actually going to say if you made it five months without the movie being spoiled, what the heck are you reading a movie specific DVD thread about the exact movie you've been waiting to see (although how much you wanted to see it is questionable, considering it was a mainstream release that was in theaters for about two months). Is there a chance people will be talking about plot specific elements in an upcoming DVD release...pretty danged likely.

I don't go to movie theaters anymore. People are assholes with their screaming babies and cell phones, among other distractions.

I expect people to talk about plot specific elements in a thread in MOVIE Talk, not the DVD release forum. I (was) am reading this thread to get information about the DVD. Apparently I got too much information.

Solid Snake
07-15-09, 12:42 AM
Dude, someone gave some descriptions of the scenes inserted. The video was nothing new but the actual audio/video of the scene. If you read the comic no biggie. If you're hear about the DC cut. Well we told ya what was going to be in the DC cut beforehand.

Boba Fett
07-15-09, 01:56 AM
Sorry if this was answered, but does the Blu Ray version contain the theatrical cut as well?
The Blu-Ray itself is just the directors cut. The digital copy is theatrical.

Did that Blu-Ray review say DTS?
Yes it did.

jjcool
07-15-09, 12:04 PM

Why would people that didnt want the movie spoiled pay attention to spoilers?

toddly6666
07-15-09, 12:36 PM
I don't go to movie theaters anymore. People are assholes with their screaming babies and cell phones, among other distractions.

I expect people to talk about plot specific elements in a thread in MOVIE Talk, not the DVD release forum. I (was) am reading this thread to get information about the DVD. Apparently I got too much information.

I can understand if this was your first time in a dvd forum, but normally, a thread about "directors cuts" usually discusses the difference between theatrical and directors cut versions.

Either way, u seem like a complaining type of person, so u are going to be disappointed wherever u go - whether it be movie theaters or dvd talk forums.

canaryfarmer
07-15-09, 12:42 PM

Discussing the added scenes between the DC and theatrical is totally on-point with this thread, sorry. How else is anyone supposed to know what the differences are between the two cuts (and therefore, different purchase options) without mentioning specifics? You just can't say "There's a new scene with some characters! Check it out!"

madcougar
07-15-09, 01:29 PM
It's not that confusing.

I didn't say it was confusing. I said it sucks that they're producing multiple versions of the movie. Basically say I want the original theatrical cut, then I have to buy at minimum two different versions. Why not a barebones DVD, a special edition DVD, and a Blu Ray version with EVERYTHING on it - all released on the same day?

Giles
07-15-09, 01:51 PM
anyone know if the Best Buy price of 300: Ultimate Edition will drop any to tie in with the release of Watchmen the current online price for '300' seems a bit much at $35.

celluloid
07-15-09, 02:22 PM
how much longer is the director's cut from the original?

ReduxGuy
07-15-09, 02:25 PM
Yes it did.

Warner's first DTS release in eons and it had to be exclusively Blu. Bastards.

kstublen
07-15-09, 03:11 PM
Why would people that didnt want the movie spoiled pay attention to spoilers?

Because if you keep up with news on the movie there was a big deal about the Hollis Mason Death Scene being cut. And if you were paying any attention at all to news about the Director's Cut, one of the first things said about it was that the Hollis Mason Death Scene is being included.

OldBoy
07-15-09, 04:21 PM
Because if you keep up with news on the movie there was a big deal about the Hollis Mason Death Scene being cut. And if you were paying any attention at all to news about the Director's Cut, one of the first things said about it was that the Hollis Mason Death Scene is being included.

i can't believe you just spoiled for me that Hollis Mason dies!! dammit!!!!

:)

canaryfarmer
07-15-09, 05:33 PM
I keep hearing great things about this Hollis Mason. I hope he's in the sequel!

dtcarson
07-15-09, 09:41 PM
Is there an MSRP released for the five-disk? The 2disk is 18.49 on Amazon which seems good, but I'm tempted to save/wait for the megaset. I'm normally not into a lot of extra features, but I would definitely watch these.

TRC
07-16-09, 12:02 AM
i can't believe you just spoiled for me that Hollis Mason dies!! dammit!!!!

:)

http://i31.tinypic.com/2evssw2.gif

Warheart1188
07-17-09, 07:31 PM
I'm just guessing, but I think it might mean when you purchase it you also get it on Amazon-on-Demand.

Yep. That's correct.

majorjoe23
07-17-09, 07:39 PM
Is there an MSRP released for the five-disk? The 2disk is 18.49 on Amazon which seems good, but I'm tempted to save/wait for the megaset. I'm normally not into a lot of extra features, but I would definitely watch these.

It hasn't officially been announced yet, but I've heard it will have a December release. No word on MSRP.

OldBoy
07-18-09, 09:18 AM
http://i31.tinypic.com/2evssw2.gif

that's awesome!

OldBoy
07-18-09, 09:19 AM
It hasn't officially been announced yet, but I've heard it will have a December release. No word on MSRP.

so it is December for sure? because someone else said June 2010 or something...

R. Hilton
07-18-09, 12:31 PM
Bought the DC at my local video store (early release, I guess) last night. There is a flyer in the case for the deluxe edition. TOBF is interwoven into the main feature, Under the Hood and the motion comic are included as supplements, and there will be a new commentary with Dave Gibbons (and Snyder) included. Watched the supplemental doc on the comic series, if I was a young person just getting into comics and didn't know better, I would be under the impression that Alan Moore is dead.

majorjoe23
07-18-09, 01:21 PM
Moore would rather movie producers assume he is dead.

jjcool
07-19-09, 11:35 AM
Bought the DC at my local video store (early release, I guess) last night. There is a flyer in the case for the deluxe edition. TOBF is interwoven into the main feature, Under the Hood and the motion comic are included as supplements, and there will be a new commentary with Dave Gibbons (and Snyder) included. Watched the supplemental doc on the comic series, if I was a young person just getting into comics and didn't know better, I would be under the impression that Alan Moore is dead.

He isn't?

acdcrocks1980
07-19-09, 05:17 PM
Bestbuy has a deal where if you buy any version of Watchmen, you can get Tales from the Black Freighter or Motion comic for 5 bucks.

I'm thinking of just picking up the DC instead of waiting. Bestbuy's website only lets you get one of the two for $5. What would people suggest? Freighter or Motion? I haven't seen either of them.

slop101
07-19-09, 05:52 PM
If you've already read the book, you should skip the motion comic.

ReduxGuy
07-20-09, 05:46 PM
So just to make sure in advance, NO ONE has a steelbook exclusive?

OldBoy
07-20-09, 05:48 PM
So just to make sure in advance, NO ONE has a steelbook exclusive?

Future Shop Blu-ray is the only one in R1.

xage
07-22-09, 12:23 AM
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WM001.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WM002.jpg

My Watchmen so far

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WMN00.jpg

still in transit:

Amazon Exclusive Owl Ship
Futureshop BD Steelbook

ScottsdaleSaint
07-22-09, 12:49 AM
No lenticular slipcover XAGE? I'm disappointed man, really. -wink-

kstublen
07-22-09, 01:10 AM
So far I've gotten...

-Watchmen: Director's Cut (DVD) (Lenticular Slipcover)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (DVD) (Best Buy Exclusive Rorschach Package)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Lenticular Slipcover)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Best Buy Exclusive Dr. Manhattan Package)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (DVD)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (DVD) (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (Blu-ray)
-Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (DVD)
-Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (Blu-ray)
-Watchmen: The Complete Experience (The End Is Nigh Parts I & II and Director's Cut)

(Gotta love that WBShop Sale they had a while back where the Black Freighter Blu-ray was only $5, and then today the DVDs of Black Freighter and the Motion Comic were also $5)

Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Amazon Exclusive Nite Owl Ship) is on its way.

I'm going to pick up the Theatrical Cuts for completion's sake, but once they drop in price. Still want to get the Futureshop Exclusive SteelBook, but I don't think I'll be able to find one...

Really looking forward to the Ultimate Edition in December. The Director's Cut was fantastic; want to see how Tales Of The Black Freighter and the additional Two Bernies footage will fit into the movie.

fumanstan
07-22-09, 01:16 AM
So far I've gotten...

-Watchmen: Director's Cut (DVD) (Lenticular Slipcover)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (DVD) (Best Buy Exclusive Rorschach Package)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Lenticular Slipcover)
-Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Best Buy Exclusive Dr. Manhattan Package)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (DVD)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (DVD) (Best Buy Exclusive SteelBook)
-Watchmen: Tales Of The Black Freighter (Blu-ray)
-Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (DVD)
-Watchmen: The Complete Motion Comic (Blu-ray)

(Gotta love that WBShop Sale they had a while back where the Black Freighter Blu-ray was only $5, and then today the DVDs of Black Freighter and the Motion Comic were also $5)

Watchmen: Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (Amazon Exclusive Nite Owl Ship) is on its way.

I'm going to pick up the Theatrical Cuts for completion's sake, but once they drop in price. Still want to get the Futureshop Exclusive SteelBook, but I don't think I'll be able to find one...

kstublen > xage

:bow:

kstublen
07-22-09, 01:23 AM
kstublen > xage

:bow:

xage has the SteelBook coming. Therefore, xage > kstublen.

Solid Snake
07-22-09, 01:32 AM
I want to see what Xage says about all this...

BullGooseLoony
07-22-09, 07:05 AM
http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WM001.jpg

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WM002.jpg

My Watchmen so far

http://i491.photobucket.com/albums/rr280/xage02/WMN00.jpg

still in transit:

Amazon Exclusive Owl Ship
Futureshop BD Steelbook How is the packaging for the "head" editions? Is it sturdy like the Transformers exclusive that turns into Optimus Prime, or flimsy like The Incredibile Hulk exclusive with the punching wall?

dtcarson
07-22-09, 07:40 AM
Aargh, Amazon frustrates me. I originally preordered Watchmen for 17.49. Yesterday the price dropped to 16.49. I emailed to take advantage of the pre-order price guarantee. Originally "Yaser" or someone said "No, you got the lowest price between your purchase date and ship date". I responded back with the link to their own policy and the applicable quote, they did refund me my big one dollar.
Today, of course, the exact same thing I bought for 16.49 after a hassle is 14.99. I'm halfway tempted to return the whole order (when it arrives) and buy it locally, except that that's a hassle too, and I had a gift certificate for 22 of the 25 $ in the order (I bought a couple other things that were in my wishlist to get free shipping.) (And I do save tax and shipping costs, but other than that, there was absolutely no benefit to pre-ordering from Amazon, other than the pointless [to me] "watch on demand". ETA is still five days from now.)
Oh yeah, I'm only buying the one copy, although I might get the Ultimate Edition when it comes out, depending on price.

starman9000
07-22-09, 07:50 AM

What is this referring to?