Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Dancing with the Stars - Week #9 (5/4 & 5/5) - Two Unlearned Dances (w/ 15-sec Solos)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: View Poll Results: Which couple will have the lowest combined score and be sent home?
Shawn Johnson (Olympic Gold Medalist Gymnast) & Mark Ballas
9.09%
Lil' Kim (Grammy Award Winning Rapper) & Derek Hough
9.09%
Ty Murray (Rodeo Champion) & Chelsie Hightower
81.82%
Melissa Rycroft (The Bachelor star) & Tony Dovolani
0%
Gilles Marini (Actor) & Cheryl Burke
0%
... oh, I couldn't care less who leaves!
0%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Dancing with the Stars - Week #9 (5/4 & 5/5) - Two Unlearned Dances (w/ 15-sec Solos)

Old 05-04-09, 05:39 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

Night Nine - 5/4
Mondays 8/7c - 2 hrs

Back to 2-hours of dancing! Two unlearned dances (one Ballroom, one Latin) from Week 1 to Week 6, with a 15-second solo during the Latin routine.

Unlearned Dance list:
Spoiler:
  • Waltz / Salsa - Lil' Kim (Grammy Award Winning Rapper) & Derek Hough
  • Foxtrot / Rumba - Gilles Marini (Actor) & Cheryl Burke
  • Arg. Tango / Rumba - Ty Murray (Rodeo Champion) & Chelsie Hightower
  • Quickstep / Paso Doble - Shawn Johnson (Olympic Gold Medalist Gymnast) & Mark Ballas
  • Vien. Waltz / Samba - Melissa Rycroft (The Bachelor star) & Tony Dovolani

Night Nine Results - 5/5
Mondays 9/8c - 1 hr

It's time for another elimination. One couple will be eliminated. Jamie Cullum performs "I Get a Kick out of You" with a dance by Agnieszka Kazmierczak and Urs Gaisenhainer. Marty Kudelka & Dee Caspary also perform.
Old 05-04-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Dancing with the Stars - Week #9 (5/4 & 5/5) - Two Unlearned Dances (w/ 15-sec So

Ty's been a great guy and shown lotsa improvement but its time for him to go.Cant really imagine what his "solo" will be like Oh and if he does go he can leave Chelsie behind
Old 05-04-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Dancing with the Stars - Week #9 (5/4 & 5/5) - Two Unlearned Dances (w/ 15-sec So

Damn it! Melissa has a boob pop out, and we don't see it
Old 05-04-09, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Ty gets lowest total score at 46 and lil KIm is next last at 52. And I doubt he is popular like Melissa. His solo was pretty bad but the rumba was ok.

Judges were right that shawn/mark should not break apart in quickstep.
Old 05-05-09, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyp007
Damn it! Melissa has a boob pop out, and we don't see it
I have a fanboyish adoration for her and am glad she didn't get embarassed like that on TV yet I was simultaneously so pissed we didn't see that slip.

I like Ty a lot but I think it's time for him to go. I'll miss Chelsie a lot. I've started crushing on her through this season.

And it was great to see Lacey yet again.

Is it me or was the false drama during the rehearsals worse this episode than it's ever been this season?

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-05-09 at 12:40 AM.
Old 05-05-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If Ty is gone tonight, the final 4 would easily beat out last season's winner, Brooke. Last season just suck.
Old 05-05-09, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Didn't expect that!

Lil Kim goes home!
Old 05-05-09, 09:03 PM

Received 770 Likes on 503 Posts

No! No! No! No! I call bullrider.

That wasn't suppose to go down like that.

What a shocker!
Old 05-05-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 05-05-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, apparently Ty was much more popular than anyone expected. Is next week the finals or that's May 18?

Thoughts about other pro dancers/celebs? I liked Lisa Rianna and Mayo the best. Anyone remember her?
Old 05-05-09, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wisky Tango Foxtrot?!

I am still in shock. First, how does Lil' Kim get into the bottom two and Shawn pass? Then, how the hell did Lil' Kim lose to Ty? Even Chelsie was shocked!

I like Ty but he isn't in Lil' Kim's league. I firmly expected him to be eliminated tonight and Shawn next week. Then the finale would have been Gilles, Melissa, and Lil' Kim.

Last edited by RocShemp; 05-05-09 at 10:23 PM.
Old 05-05-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Ranger
Thoughts about other pro dancers/celebs? I liked Lisa Rianna and Mayo the best. Anyone remember her?
Yeah, it was great to see her again. Although I also like how well Anna did with someone who's never danced the Tango.
Old 05-05-09, 10:30 PM

I liked Anna. I hope she makes it. She would be a great fit.
Old 05-05-09, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was a major shocker. I guess Ty do have more fans than Lil Kim.
Old 05-06-09, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Chelsie probably had an inner "Ugh! Another week of dragging Ty around on the dance floor" when Lil' Kim got the boot.
Old 05-06-09, 09:35 AM

The final three--Shawn, Melissa, and Gilles--have been locked in since Week 2. Shawn is the Olympic sweetheart, Melissa is the redeemed scorned woman, and Gilles is the surprisingly good unknown that has the popular Cheryl for a partner. If Kim had been saved this week, her and Derek's fans would have went into overdrive to get them into the finals where, with Derek's chereography and Kim's legit hip hop background, they would have buried the competition in the freestyle dance. They would have been too hard of an out next week, so let them fall now and then paint Ty as the undeserving semifinalist for an easy out next week. It makes for a really boring finale.

I liked Anna the best, but I wouldn't be upset with Mayo being the new pro. Both he and Anna are very good and would fit in well with the show.
Old 05-06-09, 01:54 PM

Blame the judges - if they actually scored it as a competition, the results would be different. After about week 6 or so, the floor on the scoring is a 7 and there are a few 10's sprinkled in, so basically everyone gets a 7, 8 or 9 - meaning little separation on the judges and it all coming down to the fan vote for the bottom 3-4 dancers.

They take a % of total points for the judges portion - so for 5 dancers and 2 dances there is 300 points - a 10 point range from to to bottom is all of 3% - think there could be a 3% differential in the fan votes for some of the couples? I'm not sure why they actually bother with the judges scores (esp the last 2 shows where everyone gets a 9 or 10 and the range is even smaller). As a result expect the judges to put a huge gap between Ty and the rest of the dancers next week (if you recall they needed to go down to the 4 range to get rid of the Apple guy and even that didn't work right away). They will suddenly find religion and blast Ty on his technique and say "it's the semis, sorry Ty, but we have to judge to higher standards". They of course will throw out the standards as they give the rest of the folks inflated 9's and 10's.

The judges need to spend a little less time acting for the camera - what's up with Bruno is he on speed? (must he stand up every time he talks and flail his arms around?) and Carrie Ann is all about the 'emotion' (until of course her favorites suck in that dep't, then it's about the 'flawless' technique). They judge against their expectation of the dancer as opposed to how they did compared to other dancers. An 7 or 8 for Giles, would be a 9 or 10 for Ty. Len is the only one who seems to take it seriously, is not hamming it up for the camera, and actually looks at technique.
Old 05-06-09, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by wirefan
Blame the judges - if they actually scored it as a competition, the results would be different. After about week 6 or so, the floor on the scoring is a 7 and there are a few 10's sprinkled in, so basically everyone gets a 7, 8 or 9 - meaning little separation on the judges and it all coming down to the fan vote for the bottom 3-4 dancers.
I've noticed this, too. No matter how bad someone's dance is, when they get down to the final five couples no one gets below a 7 from the judges no matter how bad the dance is. Ty's dance would've easily gotten a 5 had it been performed during the first several weeks of the competition. This show has fallen into the same rut that Idol has in that the voters at home are causing a loss of credibility due to making a joke of it. Idol changed it's rules this season, maybe Dancing will as well?
Old 05-06-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 601 Likes on 486 Posts

Carbon blobs.