TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Announces new program lineup for Fall - Releases schedule May 19th

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
NBC Announces new program lineup for Fall - Releases schedule May 19th

Taken from different sources so far:

NBC had already planned to unveil only its program lineup for the 2009-10 season Monday, while holding the release of its schedule for the week of May 19, when the rest of the broadcast nets host their upfronts.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
"Parenthood," starring Peter Krause ("Six Feet Under"), Maura Tierney ("ER"), Craig T. Nelson ("Coach") and Bonnie Bedelia as family members dealing with the pressures of life. The show was shadowed by tragedy last week when NBC executive Nora O'Brien died after collapsing on the set in Northern California.

• "Trauma," about the heroics of San Francisco paramedics and deemed by Silverman the "adrenaline-rush" successor to NBC's recently departed "ER." The cast includes Derek Luke ("Notorious"), Aimee Garcia ("George Lopez") and Jamey Sheridan ("Law & Order: Criminal Intent"). Peter Berg is the executive producer.

• "Mercy," a hospital drama that puts nurses at center stage. The ensemble cast includes Taylor Schilling ("Dark Matter"), Jamie Lee Kirchner ("Rescue Me"), James Tupper ("Men in Trees") and Guillermo Diaz ("Weeds").

• "Day One," a saga about neighbors who must rebuild their lives and society after a mysterious catastrophe decimates the world's infrastructure. Adam Campbell ("Date Movie"), Catherine Dent ("The Shield") and Julie Gonzalo ("Eli Stone") star. The drama is planned as a "big event" to follow the Winter Olympics, Silverman said.

• "100 Questions," a comedy about a young woman (Sophie Winkleman, "Peep Show"), looking for love with the help of an online dating site and counselor (Amir Talai, "The Ex List"). It's a traditional multicamera sitcom, a format that has dimmed in popularity in recent years, but which NBC believes in, Bromstad said.

"Community," a sitcom about community college misfits that brings Chevy Chase of "Saturday Night Live" fame back to TV. The cast includes Joel McHale ("The Soup"), Gillian Jacobs ("The Book of Daniel") and Yvette Nicole Brown ("Rules of Engagement").

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090504/...jWLvVTF.JxFb8C
Seth Meyers anchors "Weekend Update," which is expected to kick off NBC's Thursday nights
The new reality shows "The Marriage Ref," produced by Jerry Seinfeld; "Breakthrough With Tony Robbins" and "Who Do You Think You Are?" also had been announced.
NBC's new series represent "bold, original concepts" that share an upbeat message, said Angela Bromstad, prime-time entertainment president for NBC and Universal Media Studios.

They are "fundamentally a positive portrayal of who we are as human beings, who we are as a community, and that ultimately we strive to do the right thing," she said in an interview.

Among NBC's half-hour contenders, the comedy to watch for the past week has been "Community," which stars Joel McHale as a guy who becomes part of an offbeat extended family after he enrolls in a community college course. Single-camera project hails from scribe Dan Harmon and is exec produced by Harmon, Anthony and Joe Russo (who helmed the pilot) and Russ Krasnoff.

Also high on the buzz radar is "100 Questions for Charlotte Payne," from Universal Media Studios, which stars Sophie Winkleman as a young woman living in New York and using a dating service. It's understood to be seen by many inside NBC as a next-gen "Friends." Buddy cop comedy "Off Duty," starring Bradley Whitford and Romany Malco, is also still kicking.

On the drama side, the action-driven paramedic drama "Trauma" is said to have screened well with execs across the board. Project, from scribe Dario Scardapane and "Friday Night Lights" vets Jeff Reiner, Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey, is seen as a good fit with the network's needs next season, when its drama real estate will shrink with the launch of "The Jay Leno Show" in the Monday-Friday 10 p.m. slot. Introducing the new-model Leno will also be a top priority for Monday's presentation.

The pilot for "Parenthood," from UMS and Imagine TV, is not completed but NBC execs are supremely confident in what they've seen so far and in showrunner-exec producer Jason Katims and helmer-exec producer Thomas Schlamme.

Returning shows facing tough cost-driven renewal negotiations include UMS' own "Law & Order," which is poised to reach its 20-year milestone in 2010. Although laffer "My Name Is Earl" looked to be kaput at the Peacock as recently as last week, NBC and 20th Century Fox TV are wrangling over the financials for a fifth-season pickup.

Peacock's scripted skeins already locked in for next season include "The Office," "30 Rock," "Heroes," "Law & Order: SVU" and "Friday Night Lights." Gumshoe drama "Life," from UMS, is not expected to return, nor is comedy "Kath and Kim."

The fate of "Chuck," the cult-fave dramedy from Warner Bros. TV, was said to be part of a larger conversation between Warners and NBC about "Southland" and the hourlong pilot from David E. Kelley, "Legally Mad." The Kelley pilot reportedly had mixed reviews from execs, but the feeling is that there's potential in the premise and the cast, and there's also a big penalty payment due if NBC does not order it to series.

Dick Wolf's UMS femme detective pilot "Lost & Found" is also said to still be in the mix for a possible midseason order. There's speculation in the biz that NBC will put a number of new and returning dramas on the midseason bench as a hedge against the possibility that Leno is a ratings dud.

Even though NBC's not announcing its schedule on Monday, speculation is already swirling that the Peacock may be planning on doing theme nights. Monday, likely more male/action-oriented, with "Heroes" at the very least already confirmed to return. On Tuesdays, "Biggest Loser" could possibly run 90 minutes into a comedy at 9:30. Wednesdays are looking like "Law and Order: SVU" at 8, perhaps paired with "Southland" (which could also end up on Monday). Thursdays, the net will stick with a two-hour comedy block. Fridays will likely see more dramas; Sundays, NBC is already committed to "Sunday Night Football."

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
Here are some trailers for the new shows:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8076 Thanks Gizmo!

Last edited by stingermck; 05-04-09 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-04-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: NBC Announces new program lineup for Fall - Releases schedule May 19th

So far I dont care about more medical shows, Chevy Chase could be fun, and a Weekend update type show? Fail.
Old 05-04-09, 09:37 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

And no Chuck. Fuck.

And 2 medical shows? Isn't everyone tired of that damn genre already? Parenthood and Community are the only 2 shows that look good.
Old 05-04-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The fate of other series won't be known until NBC unveils its full schedule May 19. That includes "Medium," "Chuck," "My Name Is Earl" and the original "Law & Order."

I think Trauma could be cool, Peter Berg is a good director though his handicam style tends to be a little overbearing in movies -- it could work alright for a medical show.
Old 05-04-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
And no Chuck. Fuck.
More renewals may be announced later this month.
Hopefully some other shows fall in there, but with these new announcements, space is getting tight.
Old 05-04-09, 09:44 AM
Suspended

For Chuck:
CHUCK is renewed. I didn’t say we’d hear it on Monday. I said if BS is going for mass “good PR,” then they will. I’m under the impression the contract hasn’t been signed and a time slot has yet to be picked. This can all be tied to the death of their exec. I talked to someone who as a source couldn’t be better. I was told it was a done deal and it was all down to details. L&O is a done deal as well.

CHUCK will be on in the FALL. Likely in the same time slot or Wednesday at 8pm.
Old 05-04-09, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't there already a Parenthood TV series on NBC?
Old 05-04-09, 09:46 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
The fate of other series won't be known until NBC unveils its full schedule May 19. That includes "Medium," "Chuck," "My Name Is Earl" and the original "Law & Order."

I think Trauma could be cool, Peter Berg is a good director though his handicam style tends to be a little overbearing in movies -- it could work alright for a medical show.
Medium already got picked up on Sunday for 16-18 episodes. Like last year, they can put it on at almost any day/time when one of their new shows gets crap ratings and it does just fine. Its going to be a midseason show unless they can't get all their new scripted stuff ready by Fall.

Looks like Day One/Heroes is Monday

Thursday is tricky. Its either going to be Earl/Community, Parks, Office, 30 Rock.
Old 05-04-09, 09:47 AM
Suspended

More Chuck (and other NBC shows thanks to the giant chin getting 5 hours of programming a week):
godfather, yeah I think it’s silly. I’ve heard things like SOUTHLAND at 8pm or L&O:SVU at 8pm. There is a lot of talk of shorter seasons for shows. For instance CHUCK may be told they won’t get a back 9. That may mean higher quality product for those 13 episodes.

Tommy, yeah but Wed. at 8 is great for a new show. Less competition, etc. I think CHUCK will be either Monday in the same slot or a winter show in the same slot. The CHUCK fans should just be happy it’s coming back.

NBC screwed up when they didn’t bring the show back last Spring for 5 or 6 episodes. I don’t think the delay would hurt that much.
Old 05-04-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Day One won't be on until late February/early March 2010. NBC is using the Olympics to push it.

SNL Weekend Update is either a 6 or 13 episode pick-up and looks to lead Thursday in the fall.
Old 05-04-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I don't remember if it was NBC, but there was a series based on the movie, maybe a year later. Starring Ed Begley Jr. in the Steve Martin role. I don't think it lasted more than half a season.
Old 05-04-09, 09:54 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adboy151
Day One won't be on until late February/early March 2010. NBC is using the Olympics to push it.

SNL Weekend Update is either a 6 or 13 episode pick-up and looks to lead Thursday in the fall.
Ahh, so Chuck, 13 episodes, makes sense. Same shitty time on the same shitty day.
Old 05-04-09, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by chuckd21
Yes roughly 20 years ago -- Ed Begley Jr was the Steve Martin role and I think Remote Control's Ken Ober had the Moranis part.
Suspended

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I don't remember if it was NBC, but there was a series based on the movie, maybe a year later. Starring Ed Begley Jr. in the Steve Martin role. I don't think it lasted more than half a season.
It was produced by Universal in 1990 so it was likely on NBC.
DVD Talk Legend

You know, to sidetrack some, networks should do 13 episode seasons. It works great for cable. More solid episodes, and more room for other shows.
Old 05-04-09, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
You know, to sidetrack some, networks should do 13 episode seasons. It works great for cable. More solid episodes, and more room for other shows.
NBC is about to put that to test. Other than the shows that are good for the bottom line (30 Rock, The Office, one of the L&Os, Medium), I would expect many NBC shows to get no more than 13 episodes this year.
Old 05-04-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I love a good "laffer".
Old 05-04-09, 10:09 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Adboy151
NBC is about to put that to test. Other than the shows that are good for the bottom line (30 Rock, The Office, one of the L&Os, Medium), I would expect many NBC shows to get no more than 13 episodes this year.
Both L&O's could share a timeslot with 13-16 episodes each. When one ends, the other begins.

And 13 episode seasons are great if every network does it...but if not you have shows like Pushing Daisies, Eli Stone, DSM, Chuck that can't hold an audience 8-9 months later when other shows had a chance to build.
Old 05-04-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

If Chuck doesn't get picked up because of this penalty that NBC will have to pay for not picking up some 'less than stellarly received' pilot from DEK I'll be very mad.
Old 05-04-09, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn. I like Earl.
Old 05-04-09, 11:14 AM
Suspended

Here are some trailers for the new shows:
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=8076

Only Parenthood and Community look decent. I couldn't make it through the 100 questions.
Old 05-04-09, 11:23 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

No "Life"?
Old 05-04-09, 11:25 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bandoman
No "Life"?
Life has no life. Its beyond gone.
Old 05-04-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Peter Krause certainly knows how to land on his feet.
Old 05-04-09, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

I like Peter Krause, though I did find it odd that Nora O'Brien died of a brain aneurysm while visiting the set of his show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.