Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Receiver Question... Denon, Onkyo or Sony??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Receiver Question... Denon, Onkyo or Sony??

Old 05-08-00, 09:54 PM
AB
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking to purchase a DTS receiver to compliment a new home theater system. Right now I am in a toss up between a few and hopefully you guys can steer me the right way. I am looking at the Denon AVR2800, Onkyo 575 and Onkyo 676, Sony STRDB930 and the Yamaha RXV795A, and the Marantz SR5000 . What are the pros and cons for each and of those, which is the best value? My budget is $600. Also, I have heard people recommending a model put out by Outlaw which does 6.1. Any comments on that? Also, if there are other models at that price, please let me know and most importantly, please post of sites which offers the best deals on these receivers. Thanks.

This will be for both Home Theater and music. And how much is the Marantz SR700 running for?
------------------
-AB

[This message has been edited by AB (edited May 08, 2000).]
Old 05-08-00, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Are you going to use it just for HT? If you want music capability too either the sony or Marantz.

Wish you could go a little higher and get the Marantz SR-7000 as it may be the best value in the market..
Old 05-09-00, 12:15 AM
BEC

AB,

I'll second xcheckers on the Marantz 7000.
The 5000 is a step down in the processor and the amp. The trouble is the 7000 is sold out across America and most of the future shipments are already spoken for. You might have to wait a WHILE. You can thank that rave review in home theater buyer's guide for that... World-Exchange was selling them for $600 w/a 3 year warranty (their own warranty), but I thinked they were backordered too. That's the lowest price I found.

The Denon 2800 is a great receiver for music/HT receiver. $600 shipped from Let's go digital. Sometimes Crazy Eddies or Joe Momma Computer will come in $50 less...these are un-authorized dealers.

Onkyo 575 is a forum favorite. No s-video, but solid performance. Just below $400.

The Outlaw is not available yet. Still in beta testing- they are a rather small company. Feature packed for the money- a little low in power rating at 65watts. I don't know of anyone who has listened to it.
They make an amplifier, the 750, which has been superlatively reviewed, so expectations have been high.

Sony has a very loyal following (it's the most popular receiver brand). Lot's of features, bell, whistles, good performance and price ... Sony just doesn't sound nearly as good as Denon or Marantz does (to me).

It's too bad you can't listen to the receivers directly - sound quality is one of the most (or THE most) important and subjective traits. There aren't many spec's you can use (THD, dynamic power, ...) to discriminate between receivers on the basis of sound quality/character, particularly among the receivers you listed.

[This message has been edited by BEC (edited May 08, 2000).]