DVD Talk
District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" [Archive] - Page 2 - DVD Talk Forum

Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Pages : 1 [2]

Sessa17
08-16-09, 12:39 PM
So, basically, you're holding your own expectations against it; ST was exactly what you expected from it, and therefore it was great. D9 was not what you expected and/or failed to meet your expectations, so it's not so great. That's how the above reads.

No, both are my opinions of films that I made after seeing them. You are reading into things that aren't there.

I had no expectations of either film going into them. I had never seen anything Star Trek before seeing the film, thus, no expectations & I posted before D9 even came out, that I had been staying away from knowing anything about the movie, I had only seen the trailer once. Again, I've posted this 3 times now, D9 is an in your face message film, wrapped in a Sci-fi genre. It purposely tries to ground itself in reality, thus, it exposes it's large plot holes by doing so. Second, I do not care for the message of the film, you like it, great more power to you, for me, a humans are evil movie with gaping inconstancies does not equal best movie of the year or a masterpiece. Every major human character in the film is portrayed as evil, or a self-centered shmuck, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. It's just my opinion, everyone else here loves it.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 12:41 PM
They are scenery, not characters in a film. They don't have names or even speaking roles, they are not portrayed in any manner outside of just that, being protestors.

The talking heads that pop up throughout the movie aren't evil or good. Just commentators.

Baron Of Hell
08-16-09, 12:44 PM
I believe Christopher was a leader on the mothership, perhaps the only one to survive. If you recall, they showed that a piece of the ship dropped off soon after its arrival, and was never found. That's obviously the ship beneath Christopher's shack. It is likely that Christopher was on that mini-ship from the beginning (perhaps intentionally abandoning all the workers to die -- take that Sessa17! ;) ). Christopher's son was educated by his father, as was his dopey friend (who still wasn't too bright).

Yeah I thought of that and agree about what fell from the mothership. I guess I shied away from your idea because if true the smart aliens are just as bad as the humans. It would basically mean they kept their own people locked up under terrible conditions by choice and then abandoned them. But that could very well be what happened.

Sessa17
08-16-09, 12:50 PM
The talking heads that pop up throughout the movie aren't evil or good. Just commentators.

In deleted scenes we are going to find out that they are all a part of a black market puppy smuggling ring that steal dogs from blind people only to train them to eat babies.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 01:25 PM
Yeah I thought of that and agree about what fell from the mothership. I guess I shied away from your idea because if true the smart aliens are just as bad as the humans. It would basically mean they kept their own people locked up under terrible conditions by choice and then abandoned them. But that could very well be what happened.

It's hard to judge the entire scenario when we don't know what drove them to Earth in the first place (it's clear from the dialogue in the film that their own world is still inhabitable), and everything we saw about their arrival was from the human perspective. Also, while this isn't really suggested in the movie, we don't know what the prawn life cycle is like, so it's possible that Christopher is not one of the prawns who arrived on the initial mothership, or if he did, he could have been a child.

Groucho
08-16-09, 01:30 PM
What happened to the clip from the trailers where somebody is interrogating the alien about weapons, and it states that it just wants to go home?

boogieman03
08-16-09, 01:37 PM
What happened to the clip from the trailers where somebody is interrogating the alien about weapons, and it states that it just wants to go home?

Good question. I was waiting for that part.

DeltaSigChi4
08-16-09, 01:44 PM
Even the human protesters that were against MNU involvement? The ones with signs that said "Aliens are my friends"? :hscratch:

My favourite was one that had a heart symbol like I [HEART] NY or I [HEART] Huckabees. I think it read I [HEART] Aliens. :lol:

Good question. I was waiting for that part.

And that's why I don't watch trailers.

E

slop101
08-16-09, 01:53 PM
Good question. I was waiting for that part.A lot of films have scenes filmed solely for trailers and teasers that were never meant to be part of the main film - this was one of them. Their intentions with the trailer become apparent when you look at the very first trailer and there's no subtitles for the alien, and then the second trailer add the subtitles of "we just want to go home", completely changing the dynamics of the scene.No, both are my opinions of films that I made after seeing them. You are reading into things that aren't there.

I had no expectations of either film going into them. I had never seen anything Star Trek before seeing the film, thus, no expectations & I posted before D9 even came out, that I had been staying away from knowing anything about the movie, I had only seen the trailer once. Again, I've posted this 3 times now, D9 is an in your face message film, wrapped in a Sci-fi genre. It purposely tries to ground itself in reality, thus, it exposes it's large plot holes by doing so. Second, I do not care for the message of the film, you like it, great more power to you, for me, a humans are evil movie with gaping inconstancies does not equal best movie of the year or a masterpiece. Every major human character in the film is portrayed as evil, or a self-centered shmuck, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. It's just my opinion, everyone else here loves it.Weird, as I never saw this as any sort of "message movie", especially one that's "in your face" - sure, there's some parallels to be made to Apartheid, but that's just stems naturally from the director's life - secondly, I saw none of the plot holes that you speak of - each one you brought up has already been addressed, and nit-picking aside, shows that you weren't even paying attention. And where you saw "evil" with each human, I just saw motivation, misplaced or otherwise, which made sense, maybe not realistic, but believable enough to keep me engaged in the film.

RyoHazuki
08-16-09, 01:55 PM
How do you know that they know? Maybe the fucking gang butcher on prawn duty inside District Nine doesn't watch BBC World News. Or maybe he doesn't read the journal from cover-to-cover everyday. From what I understood, it appeared as he was surprised and amused that a Caucasian man was in line for some real meat in his disgusting kiosk. He may not have been subscribed to the CNN podcast.

They definitely acknowledge that they know who he is.

Matthew Chmiel
08-16-09, 02:16 PM
They definitely acknowledge that they know who he is.
But not until later on in the film when it's the gang leader who has the magazine article that he was found having "intercourse" with an alien. In that first initial scene, they're just confused on why he's even there.

DeltaSigChi4
08-16-09, 02:24 PM
Thanks Matthew. I don't really do well arguing facts because it astonishes me that something as clear as that can be misconstrued and listed under fictitious "plot holes".

E

RyoHazuki
08-16-09, 02:27 PM
I didn't say it was a plot hole. I said it was a gripe. Its dumb that they don't try to at least take him into custody for some ransom.

DeltaSigChi4
08-16-09, 02:37 PM
Right. Because you believe that South Africa has some sort of 'every Caucasian seen, is kidnapped' way of life? Which exact part of the unequivocal fact that the butcher, and others hanging around the butcher's kiosk didn't have the slightest clue of who he was. Just some crazy white guy trying to buy some steak.

E

RyoHazuki
08-16-09, 02:47 PM
Prior to the butcher scene, we have the lady in the suit doing the interviews say that his photo is everywhere and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it. Even if the butcher's didn't know who he was (which is stupid considering the scene with the lady), the guys after that knew who he was. The fact that they don't try to aprehend the most wanted man on earth is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at? Do you understand why I think the most wanted man on earth would have value?

Sessa17
08-16-09, 03:01 PM
.Weird, as I never saw this as any sort of "message movie", sure, there's some parallels to be made to Apartheid,

Well, there you have it, please do not accuse me of "not paying attention". Some parallels made to Apartheid? It's literally the allegory the film is based on & is throughout the entire movie. You never saw this as a "message movie"? What were you watching then? Or are you just in love with this movie b/c the special effects were neat & they blew stuff up really well. Peter Jackson fell in love with the script b/c of the message of the movie & that it tried to be more than just your average sci-fi. Those were his words. The creators have talked about the message the film carries. Yet you, who refused to admit there is any fault in this supposed masterpiece, just have said in you own words, that this is no kind of message movie, so you missed the entire point of the film you love so much.

I saw none of the plot holes that you speak of - each one you brought up has already been addressed,

Of coarse you didn't see the plot holes, you didn't even see any message in the film. And none of my points have been proven wrong, I just don't feel like arguing with every single reply. Clearly you think this is a flawless film, & you can't fathom that someone doesn't see it the way you do. And once again, I liked the movie, it's just not the flawless masterpiece that people are making it out to be.

And where you saw "evil" with each human, I just saw motivation, misplaced or otherwise,.

rotfl

Again, you are just seeing what you want to see. So when the father beyond inhumanely, tells the doctors to dissect every single last part of Mikus, doing so literally in front of Mikus why he is still alive, screaming for his life listening to this entire conversation take place, & then later on the same father LIES TO HIS own daughter about what really happened to Mikus, something that, I don't know, call me weird, I interpreted as the essence of pure, unfathomable evil, but to you this guy was just a highly motivated go-getter.

DeltaSigChi4
08-16-09, 03:02 PM
Which guys after that? The guys who brought him at GUNPOINT to the leader, so they could chop off his prawn arm? Do you see what I'm getting at? What you're claiming didn't happen did happen.

E

Neil M.
08-16-09, 03:12 PM
Prior to the butcher scene, we have the lady in the suit doing the interviews say that his photo is everywhere and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it. Even if the butcher's didn't know who he was (which is stupid considering the scene with the lady), the guys after that knew who he was. The fact that they don't try to aprehend the most wanted man on earth is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at? Do you understand why I think the most wanted man on earth would have value?

Actually, it makes sense that they would not try to kidnap him. You wouldn't piss off the people who basically allow you to exist within District 9. I think it was established early on that the MNU basically looks the other way and I'm sure that the humans exploiting the prawns would like to keep it that way.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 03:20 PM
Well, there you have it, please do not accuse me of "not paying attention". Some parallels made to Apartheid? It's literally the allegory the film is based on & is throughout the entire movie. You never saw this as a "message movie"? What were you watching then? Or are you just in love with this movie b/c the special effects were neat & they blew stuff up really well. Peter Jackson fell in love with the script b/c of the message of the movie & that it tried to be more than just your average sci-fi. Those were his words. The creators have talked about the message the film carries. Yet you, who refused to admit there is any fault in this supposed masterpiece, just have said in you own words, that this is no kind of message movie, so you missed the entire point of the film you love so much.

Again, you are just seeing what you want to see. So when the father beyond inhumanely, tells the doctors to dissect every single last part of Mikus, doing so literally in front of Mikus why he is still alive, screaming for his life listening to this entire conversation take place, & then later on the same father LIES TO HIS own daughter about what really happened to Mikus, something that, I don't know, call me weird, I interpreted as the essence of pure, unfathomable evil, but to you this guy was just a highly motivated go-getter.

So, you agree that it's about apartheid, which was a pretty terrible example of human behavior, yet you find it unrealistic that people would act inhumanely towards each other in the film? Were you hoping for an apartheid movie that involved puppy dogs and rainbows?

Numanoid
08-16-09, 03:25 PM
Its dumb that they don't try to at least take him into custody for some ransom.Honor amongst thieves. Bad guys don't tend to have much respect for the cops, and they certainly don't call them very often.

Numanoid
08-16-09, 03:30 PM
Sessa17's evaluation that the theme of the movie is that all people are evil and suck is perfectly valid, and the same one I interpreted it to have. Difference between us is that I accept it as a valid theme and he does not. Not sure why.

RyoHazuki
08-16-09, 03:33 PM
Which guys after that? The guys who brought him at GUNPOINT to the leader, so they could chop off his prawn arm? Do you see what I'm getting at? What you're claiming didn't happen did happen.

E

He walks to the arms dealer without anyone noticing. Once he gets there, they're looking at his picture in the magazine and they laugh at him. They still aren't alarmed by him though. He asks to buy weapons and they don't really respond. Then he says we both know there are illegal weapons here and that is when he's taken into custody by them. They didn't even know his arm was alien at that point.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 03:35 PM
If you recall, at the time they all thought he was busy fucking prawns. People probably didn't want to rile up a dude so screwy that he'd have sex with an alien and was now supposedly half alien himself.

Sessa17
08-16-09, 03:40 PM
yet you find it unrealistic that people would act inhumanely towards each other in the film?

Where did I say it was unrealistic that people would act inhumanely toward each other? I never mentioned that once.

The events in Africa were an atrocity beyond comprehension, yet it was people, good people & humanity that lead ultimately to multi-racial democratic elecitions & apartheid reform.

I want to say this again, b/c you guys don't seem to get this. It is only a matter of taste, this is my opinion, not everyone has to see things they way you do. Me, myself, I, do not particularly care for a film, that shows nothing but evil in humans, on every level of the film that is significant, & in every major human character throughout the film. Government is evil in the movie, military are despicable, big business is evil, the average man is portrayed as a schmuck.

And for me, myself, only me, when a movie is attempting to be smart, & different, I actually want something smart & different, not the same evils of corporatism tripe, that has been to death, particularly in this genre. Apparently, for most here, I guess D9 is the first time they have seen this before, they must not have seen, Moon recently, or little movies like Wall-E, or Aliens, or Blade Runner where this theme has been used again & again. And this isn't about whether or not I agree with these heavy handed messages, it's about that it's been done already, I've seen it, I don't need yet another sci-fi hung up on these same trappings. But hey, that's just me, if those cliches weren't in there, then I would be right there with you guys, going nuts over this film.

Daytripper
08-16-09, 03:48 PM
500 Days had such poor filmmaking and was utterly unfocused.

http://www.pearlevision.com/

You're welcome ;)

Supermallet
08-16-09, 03:53 PM
I have seen Moon, Aliens, Wall-E, and Blade Runner. I love all of those movies. And it's not just about the message but also how it's told. And I really don't think it's as black and white as you make it out to be. The opening portion is a pretty spot-on recreation of what happens in a lot of refugee situations. At first people gather together to help, but then, when the refugees don't just disappear, the crusaders go home, and the locals become resentful. The refugees, unable to synthesize into the main society, lash out against it, causing tension on both sides, and eventually the minority gets placed in a cultural and/or physical ghetto. That's a pretty complex series of events, and it has little to do with corporate malfeasance or military might. The fact that corporations and governments end up exploiting the events is something that has been historically demonstrated time and time again.

The fact that you're dismissing the elements of the film that disagree with your point of view (the wife, the protesters, the change in Wikus himself) makes it difficult to argue with you, since you try to shoot down any evidence that might put a hole in your theory, which I assure you is not airtight. This movie displays a series of emotions, actions, and reactions from different people and aliens, and your simplistic summation does not do it justice. But then you accuse it of not being smart enough. Maybe you just don't want to see it as smart, I don't know.

Baron Of Hell
08-16-09, 03:57 PM
I didn't say it was a plot hole. I said it was a gripe. Its dumb that they don't try to at least take him into custody for some ransom.

They would be arrested and if not they would probably be killed by their own people. These are law abiding citizens. These guy to part in a number of illegal activity that would get them life sentences.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 04:20 PM
Oh, and more characters who aren't depicted as horrible are Wikus' parents and his assistant, who actually goes to jail for exposing MNU.

Neil M.
08-16-09, 04:42 PM
Sessa, I'm curious as to what you would add or delete from this film if you had made it since you do not seem to want to argue about the plot holes that you've mentioned. It sounds like you wanted to see the good that some people do when horrible atrocities occur. I'm not sure you could have fit that within the framework of this movie because the film leaves such an unresolved ending to the prawn problem and it doesn't really add anything to Wikus' storyline. Good people would not hunt him down so the last third of the film has no room for any good people. But having said that, wouldn't any attempt at showing the good that humans can do when they care be just as heavy-handed as the message you say Blomkamp is trying to shove down our throats? I just think the film portrays the world the way our world really works. Governments and corporations do not always have our best interests at heart. People only care about a cause when it is fashionable to do so. When problems are kept unresolved, the common person becomes less and less interested in the solutions as time goes on. I think portraying people in any other way would seriously detract from the film. But that's why they call these things opinions.

On a completely different note, did anyone get a Man Bites Dog vibe from the whole mockumentary part of the film? Wikus' enthusiasm for what he was doing was just as funny to me as Ben's was in that film. I have to believe there was some influence there not only because of the style but just the fact that Wikus seemed to enjoy being on camera more than doing his "job". Both characters are completely devoid of any emotion other than excitement about being filmed.

Sessa17
08-16-09, 05:19 PM
The fact that you're dismissing the elements of the film that disagree with your point of view (the wife, the protesters, the change in Wikus himself) makes it difficult to argue with you,

I am not dismissing them, I'm just saying they are near insignificant components of the film. If anything they only further my argument to the anti-human theme of the film. The wife is really only portrayed as clueless, she doesn't know anything about what's going on. She is not good or bad, just a plot device. The protesters, I mean is this really your only proof of good in humanity in this film. People protesting for the rights of Alien creatures from another planet? And the change in Wikus? How is that good? He starts off the film as an embarrassing schmuck, & ends up murdering countless people not caring who or how many he kills as long as his needs are met. And yes, I do see how he is simply trying to survive, but that doesn't make it not murder.

Maybe you just don't want to see it as smart, I don't know.

Well, there you go, that is what this really all boils down to. Just another case of , I don't agree with other people on the utter brilliance of a film that simply must be flawless since you like it, so my views are wrong & I simply just don't understand the masterpiece of film making that you do.

Again, I get it, you don't have to keep posting to try & change my mind, you don't mind seeing the same theme brought up in another sci-fi movie, I wish I felt the same way, but I don't. It's been done over & over, yes this movie wraps it in a different context, but it's still just another in a long line of evils of corporatism sci-fi tinged films. Isn't there another injustice of the world that filmmakers can harp on by now.

Groucho
08-16-09, 05:25 PM
My biggest problem with the film was all the "cheats" in the documentary filming. Either it's a documentary, or it's not. I hate the half-assed way they approached things in this film.

Solid Snake
08-16-09, 05:26 PM
That's like bitching of a basic good vs. evil plot. Why are you griping about the, if you boil it down to it's extreme, standard type plot? It's not what the plot is about it's how you do it.

TomOpus
08-16-09, 05:28 PM
I had a really nice theater-going experience today. Not only did I enjoy the movie immensely but the 10am showing was filled with adults... no teens, no kids. Nice!

GuessWho
08-16-09, 05:32 PM
My biggest problem with the film was all the "cheats" in the documentary filming. Either it's a documentary, or it's not. I hate the half-assed way they approached things in this film.Didn't bother me the way it did you & Ebert.

The TV news footage is great so the scenes where it makes sense... but obviously there wasn't a CNN cameraman in the underground shuttlecraft when he was hiding out so those scenes would need to be straight-up movie.

Numanoid
08-16-09, 05:32 PM
I had a really nice theater-going experience today. Not only did I enjoy the movie immensely but the 10am showing was filled with adults... no teens, no kids. Nice!As one of this forum's famous theater haters, I had the same experience (a Saturday 3:25pm showing). Only my third trip to the cinema this year, but once the opening titles for this film started, I didn't hear a peep from anyone for the duration. If all theater experiences could be like that, I wouldn't mind going more.

Numanoid
08-16-09, 05:35 PM
Didn't bother me the way it did you & Ebert.

The TV news footage is great so the scenes where it makes sense... but obviously there wasn't a CNN cameraman in the underground shuttlecraft when he was hiding out so those scenes would need to be straight-up movie.Yeah, I was puzzled by Groucho's remark as well (haven't read Ebert's review). There would be no way to explain much of the on-screen action with a strictly documentary style. I had no problem with it being a melange of styles, it's certainly been done before and works for me.

Also noticed that there was no music (I think...not positive) until the part where Christopher discovers the medical testing. Then it starts and never stops.

MBoyd
08-16-09, 05:40 PM
Didn't bother me the way it did you & Ebert.

The TV news footage is great so the scenes where it makes sense... but obviously there wasn't a CNN cameraman in the underground shuttlecraft when he was hiding out so those scenes would need to be straight-up movie.

I thought it would bug me when it happened and it took me out for a second. After that, I was fine with it.

MBoyd
08-16-09, 05:44 PM
As one of this forum's famous theater haters, I had the same experience (a Saturday 3:25pm showing). Only my third trip to the cinema this year, but once the opening titles for this film started, I didn't hear a peep from anyone for the duration. If all theater experiences could be like that, I wouldn't mind going more.

Our theater audience was great too . . . well, there was one guy who got too excited and shouted "Kill that MF'er!" :lol: My main complaint this time was the Regal Cinema employee walking in and out with one of those red lightsaber things you'd bring a plane in with. He'd walk across the theater then stare at the audience for 5 minutes and walk out. They always do this at Regal in Austin. :confused:

dino88
08-16-09, 05:46 PM
Our theater audience was great too . . . well, there was one guy who got too excited and shouted "Kill that MF'er!" :lol: My main complaint this time was the Regal Cinema employee walking in and out with one of those red lightsaber things you'd bring a plane in with. He'd walk across the theater then stare at the audience for 5 minutes and walk out. They always do this at Regal in Austin. :confused:

Maybe the "Kill that MFer" guy was referring to the employee.

MrSmearkase
08-16-09, 06:20 PM

My Regal does the same thing, with varying degrees of success and deterrance.

If you're in Austin, why not go to the Alamo Drafthouse? I saw District 9 there last week on vacation, and the in-theatre server explained how strict they are on distractions through the movie.

Supermallet
08-16-09, 06:21 PM
I am not dismissing them, I'm just saying they are near insignificant components of the film.

So, in other words, you're dismissing them. They're clearly not insignificant to other people here.

If anything they only further my argument to the anti-human theme of the film. The wife is really only portrayed as clueless, she doesn't know anything about what's going on. She is not good or bad, just a plot device. The protesters, I mean is this really your only proof of good in humanity in this film. People protesting for the rights of Alien creatures from another planet?

She's clueless because she's being kept in the dark by her father, getting different information from Wikus, and doesn't know who to believe. If your significant other was sick, then taken away by the government and/or a corporation, was then seen on TV having sex with an alien, and he was calling you and telling you it was all lies, you'd be clueless, too.

And yes, I would say that people protesting for alien rights would be an example of the good in humanity. I also mentioned the commentators, Wikus' parents, and his assistant as examples of non-despicable human beings. The way you make it sound, it's as if you want every character to be a main character and every main character to be good.

And the change in Wikus? How is that good? He starts off the film as an embarrassing schmuck, & ends up murdering countless people not caring who or how many he kills as long as his needs are met. And yes, I do see how he is simply trying to survive, but that doesn't make it not murder.

He starts off as naive and a bigot, and ends up understanding the plight of the prawns. On the way, he goes from being selfish to selfless. I don't see how that's a bad thing. And what you see as murder I see as self-defense. It's not like those Nigerians were just minding their own business. They were planning on cutting off his arm and eating it. And the MNU guys were trying to cut him into pieces, too. If someone were about to do that to you, you'd just lie back and say, "Go ahead, I wouldn't want to defend myself, because that might mean murdering you"?

Well, there you go, that is what this really all boils down to. Just another case of , I don't agree with other people on the utter brilliance of a film that simply must be flawless since you like it, so my views are wrong & I simply just don't understand the masterpiece of film making that you do.

I'm not saying you're not getting it. I'm saying you made up your mind about it and are rejecting all evidence that might disagree with you. Your gut reaction was "this is shallow and unoriginal" and now you're shaking your head at everything that might prove your reaction wrong. So, no, I think you do get it, but you're purposefully skewing it to fit your view.

Again, I get it, you don't have to keep posting to try & change my mind, you don't mind seeing the same theme brought up in another sci-fi movie, I wish I felt the same way, but I don't. It's been done over & over, yes this movie wraps it in a different context, but it's still just another in a long line of evils of corporatism sci-fi tinged films. Isn't there another injustice of the world that filmmakers can harp on by now.

Did you have the same complaint about Syriana and Michael Clayton?

Sessa17
08-16-09, 06:35 PM
Did everyone miss the parts of my posts where I said I actually liked the movie?

You ignore the good & only focus on the bad, no wonder you all have no problem with the film :D

MBoyd
08-16-09, 07:44 PM

If you're in Austin, why not go to the Alamo Drafthouse? I saw District 9 there last week on vacation, and the in-theatre server explained how strict they are on distractions through the movie.

I like most everything about The Alamo except the food. Now, my wife has me on a drinking embargo since our vacation. :( Basically, I feel guilty going into theaters like The Alamo and not ordering anything.

mndtrp
08-16-09, 08:25 PM
it always cracks me up when exotic things are given plain human names, like the giant bird in up! is kevin and the alien in district 9 is christopher.

I suppose it makes sense, especially when looking at what happened with immigrants into the U.S.

I really liked this movie. The documentary style in the beginning wasn't as distracting as most movies that try to implement it usually are. Even when it abandoned that style, it didn't bother me much. The story itself was quite good, and I had no problem with the theme. Quite a bit of science fiction has a pretty heavy social commentary running throughout. The visual effects were great, even without mentioning the low cost involved.

I had more fun with Star Trek, but this is the better movie. I kind of hope there isn't a sequel, as they rarely add anything positive to the original movie.

Draven
08-16-09, 08:34 PM
I had an odd theater experience. There was a 40 something couple sitting two seats down from me that was laughing or chuckling throughout the entire movie. They laughed the first few times we saw the Prawns, they chuckled again and again as the movie got going, they laughed at things like when the Nigerians were going to cut off his arm. I kept looking at them and they seemed to be enjoying the movie but it was a little weird.

Of course, these are the people that actually said out loud during the Sorority Row trailers: "Oh man, they are really scraping the bottom of the barrel." "Yeah, they really are." I didn't realize people actually said things like that to one another, especially during something so obviously stupid as Sorority Row.

I guess I'm just glad they found each other.

slop101
08-16-09, 08:59 PM
As far as my theater experience with D9 goes, the audience was great and well-behaved, the projectionist however, had the projector pointing too low, and there was a strip of black on the top of the image and the bottom was obviously cut-off, as some of the subtitles were off-screen. I should've gotten up to complain right away (I noticed this during the trailers - probably the only person to notice), but I just kept getting into the movie and didn't worry too much about it later.

And just the very next day, when I saw Thirst, the projector was obviously out of focus (easy to notice with the sub-titles), I complained right away on this one (missing about 20 seconds of the movie), and they fixed it.

For me it's never the audience that annoys (I suppose because of the types of movies I go to), but always a problem with the theater and how they might fuck up the movie's presentation.

GuessWho
08-16-09, 09:13 PM
I kind of hope there isn't a sequel, as they rarely add anything positive to the original movie.Suspicious that it'll take 3 years for Christopher to make more liquid... and 3 years is a very typical turnaround for a sequel

Dr. DVD
08-16-09, 09:14 PM
For me it's never the audience that annoys (I suppose because of the types of movies I go to), but always a problem with the theater and how they might fuck up the movie's presentation.

I used to live in a town that had the most flippant attitude concerning movie presentation. Since I lived about an hour away from a major city, I would sometimes go there to watch the ones where I knew the presentation would make a difference.

dino88
08-16-09, 09:24 PM
Suspicious that it'll take 3 years for Christopher to make more liquid... and 3 years is a very typical turnaround for a sequel

I don't think he meant that it would take 3 years to get more fluid, because he'll be back on his planet where it is readily available. I took it as it will take him 3 years to travel there and back.

Mopower
08-16-09, 09:25 PM
I wonder if the 3 years Christopher talks about is how long it will take to get back to his home planet and then back to Earth. Like 1.5 to get there and 1.5 to get back. When he was setting the navigational controls on the ship it looked like the Prawns weren't even from our galaxy.

redrum
08-16-09, 10:10 PM
i thought the 3 years was how long it would take to fix him?

The Bus
08-16-09, 10:17 PM
Oh, and more characters who aren't depicted as horrible are Wikus' parents and his assistant, who actually goes to jail for exposing MNU.

Is it clear that, later in the movie, when his wife calls him, the father-in-law had just tapped the phone or convinced her to call him as a lie? The FIL wasn't in the same room as her so I am thinking the former.

calhoun07
08-16-09, 11:01 PM
I had an odd theater experience. There was a 40 something couple sitting two seats down from me that was laughing or chuckling throughout the entire movie. They laughed the first few times we saw the Prawns, they chuckled again and again as the movie got going, they laughed at things like when the Nigerians were going to cut off his arm. I kept looking at them and they seemed to be enjoying the movie but it was a little weird.

I had to check your location to see if you were from around where I live, because I had that exact same experience when I saw it, only the morans were sitting behind me. They giggled and laughed at some of the most inane and inappropriate things. The one that got me the most was when they laughed at the shot of the tent concentration camp behind the barbed wire fence. Yeah, that's some comedy gold there, Jerry. They laughed at a lot of stupid crap like that. Nobody else in the theater was laughing. I think the only theater wide chuckle the movie got was when they showed the TV news report of why our intrepid hero had the problem he was facing.

chris_sc77
08-16-09, 11:03 PM
AM i out of line here to request that spoilers be kept in the "Reviews" thread for this title?

mdc3000
08-16-09, 11:09 PM
^On the 13th page of a thread where a movie has been out for days...yeah, I think you should expect spoilers.

And 3 years was definitely the time it would take to get to the home planet and back - because originally Christopher thought he could fix Wikus and then leave, but due to the experimentation stuff he saw, he couldn't afford to waste any time (presumably fixing him is still a lengthy process, but definitely not years)...

grrr
08-16-09, 11:30 PM
I saw this today and found it a good action-thriller that tried to be a little more and occasionally succeeded.

Others have already sung the film's praises or debated the apartheid theme, so I'll just say that the film would've been far better had the director abandoned the convenient dei ex machina that tend to populate action films and chosen a more realistic direction. From the moment that Mikus escapes the vivisection lab, you know that no main character will suffer a sudden or dramatic end. Every time one of our two heroes are up against impossible odds, a gift of life falls from the sky, even once in the form of a Jurassic Park-style child computer prodigy. I won't complain about that in a mindless action film, but if you're going to use a documentary approach, you have to assume the attitude of a documentary and avoid the cheating I've come to expect of Hollywood.

The film has pretenses of seriousness, but at its heart it's a sci-fi action flick. A very solid and occasionally thoughtful action flick, but an action movie nonetheless. It reminded me a bit of the Matrix in that it had style and the faintest whiff of a message, but ultimately the film conforms to the same conventions and standards as the stories that you see every summer. The chief difference is that D9 pulls it off very well.

Tracer Bullet
08-17-09, 10:00 AM
I had to check your location to see if you were from around where I live, because I had that exact same experience when I saw it, only the morans were sitting behind me. They giggled and laughed at some of the most inane and inappropriate things. The one that got me the most was when they laughed at the shot of the tent concentration camp behind the barbed wire fence. Yeah, that's some comedy gold there, Jerry. They laughed at a lot of stupid crap like that. Nobody else in the theater was laughing. I think the only theater wide chuckle the movie got was when they showed the TV news report of why our intrepid hero had the problem he was facing.

Some people can't process this sort of thing. It's probably not that they thought it was funny.

Groucho
08-17-09, 10:05 AM
I would argue that the shot of the concentration camp was intended as black humor, because at the same time the argument is being made that it will be a better place for the prawns.

j123vt_99
08-17-09, 10:18 AM

I usually only go to Alamo Drafthouse for movies that aren't special effects intensive. I find the quality of the picture and the sound is not as good as a typical theater.

MBoyd
08-17-09, 09:52 PM
I usually only go to Alamo Drafthouse for movies that aren't special effects intensive. I find the quality of the picture and the sound is not as good as a typical theater.

I've noticed. But it looks like the Alamo Village has 4K projectors now.

dugan
08-17-09, 10:42 PM
I liked the robocop and neon genesis nod!

Perfectly appropriate, since Weta worked on Neon Genesis Evangelion.

(Well, they did concept drawings for a live-action version that never got produced).

bunnydojo
08-18-09, 05:22 PM
Every time one of our two heroes are up against impossible odds, a gift of life falls from the sky, even once in the form of a Jurassic Park-style child computer prodigyThis is a rare case where I was okay with that kind of thing...
The kid had obviously spent a lot of time with his father around the technology, and, based on all of the diagrams and text, it seems like it would be easy enough to figure out. :) If you can accept that Wikus was able to adapt to the ship and suit so quickly, it seems only fair that the kid would have no big trouble. Plus, c'mon, he's so darn lovable! :D

Giantrobo
08-18-09, 05:43 PM
This is a rare case where I was okay with that kind of thing...
The kid had obviously spent a lot of time with his father around the technology, and, based on all of the diagrams and text, it seems like it would be easy enough to figure out. :) If you can accept that Wikus was able to adapt to the ship and suit so quickly, it seems only fair that the kid would have no big trouble. Plus, c'mon, he's so darn lovable! :D

I'm also starting to think that Chris <i>and</i> his kid are a different class of Prawn much like how bees have Drones, Workers, and Queens. It's possible that they both have higher learning skills.

RichC2
08-19-09, 08:03 AM
http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2633/44910654.png

toddly6666
08-19-09, 09:00 AM
I'm also starting to think that Chris <i>and</i> his kid are a different class of Prawn much like how bees have Drones, Workers, and Queens. It's possible that they both have higher learning skills.

I just think Christopher and his friend were high-ranking crew - they piloted that underground mini-ship under their refugee house, not the average prawn. I think if they were all humans, it would be the same scenario - the crew are usually the smarter ones, and the people going for a ride are gonna act like animals when all hell breaks loose. Lord of the Flies. The ratio of people is same on an airplane (crew keeps calm, while the people going for the ride will go ape-shit).

Trevor
08-19-09, 09:10 AM
Loved it. Had a nice, quiet afternoon theater crowd.

Giles
08-19-09, 09:36 AM
I've noticed. But it looks like the Alamo Village has 4K projectors now.

the movie itself was shot with 4K Red One cameras.

mdc3000
08-19-09, 09:59 AM
I just think Christopher and his friend were high-ranking crew.

His friend was definitely NOT one of the smart ones - he tells him to act normal and be polite when MNU is at the door, and the friend acts like a total prick. Also, when they're scavenging, he picks up a piece of human tech, not knowing the difference between that and their own tech. Clearly not a genius.

Michael Corvin
08-19-09, 10:13 AM
Saw it last night. It was very entertaining but definitely falls short of the 'masterpiece' everyone is claiming it to be. I really enjoyed the actor portraying Wikus and seeing his personality change throughout the film depending on extraneous circumstances.

Marching into MNU and taking the vial back was the biggest :wtf: moment. Also quite a bit splashed on Wikus in the beginning, how did they know there was anything left in the vial? Oh and Chistopher making a bomb to escape in literally 5 seconds with scrap pulled from a table? :lol: That whole bit was very reminiscent of the virus in ID4. Almost as preposterous, but it still held together somehow without totally going off the deep end despite sounding like it in text form.

3 1/2 out of 5

Ejunior2
08-19-09, 10:27 AM
Marching into MNU and taking the vial back was the biggest moment. Also quite a bit splashed on Wikus in the beginning

Saw it yesturday myself. I liked it pretty much but also had issue with the "black stuff"...

Two things really, 1) how does this black rocket fuel or whatever it is that powers the entire ship also turn humans into prawns and 2) how would Christopher know that the fluid would do that to a human which he obviously did when he first saw Wilkin's mutated arm.

Trevor
08-19-09, 11:18 AM
^ Those two things didn't bother me much, as it was a sci-fi film. In pretty much any such film you could pick out dozens of "how?" or "why?" issues.

Spoilers follow How did the ship stay suspended? Why did the countries of the earth not have tons of military and scientist all over the ship? How could they not have found all those aliens weapons "so carefully hidden" all over D9? Why didn't they hide in ship and immediately take off as soon as they found the liquid? Why didn't they extract it in the safety of the underground ship?

The Bus
08-19-09, 11:31 AM
Oh and Chistopher making a bomb to escape in literally 5 seconds with scrap pulled from a table? :lol:

Christopher is obviously on the level of MacGyver and there was a bunch of alien technology laying about. It didn't seem unbelievable that he created a "bomb" (really, more of a grenade) that managed to open up a wall. It's not like he created a neutron bomb.

MBoyd
08-19-09, 06:18 PM
Cool stuff in this link!

Things you didn't know about District 9 (http://io9.com/5341120/5-things-you-didnt-know-about-district-9)

Answer to the Nigerian question I had earlier -

I was asking black South Africans about black Nigerians and Zimbabweans. That's actually where the idea came from was there are aliens living in South Africa, I asked "What do you feel about Zimbabwean Africans living here?" And those answers — they weren't actors, those are real answers...

GenPion
08-19-09, 07:43 PM
This movie was very disappointing. It was a non-stop thrill ride but it lacked so much in logic that I felt like it was nothing more than a giant mess by the time the credits began to roll.

maingon
08-19-09, 09:07 PM
the movie itself was shot with 4K Red One cameras.

The movie did look extremely sharp. I dont know what kind of projector our theater has but all theaters around me are all digital and newer projectors only a couple years old.

Draven
08-19-09, 09:20 PM
This movie was very disappointing. It was a non-stop thrill ride but it lacked so much in logic that I felt like it was nothing more than a giant mess by the time the credits began to roll.

...I can't think of one thing in the movie that didn't make sense to me.

SPiRAL
08-19-09, 09:27 PM
Wikus was hilarious. He reminded me of Murray from Flight of the Conchords, mixed with a little bit of Michael Scott, while looking like Spike Jonez. :shrug:

RD1973
08-19-09, 11:08 PM
^ Those two things didn't bother me much, as it was a sci-fi film. In pretty much any such film you could pick out dozens of "how?" or "why?" issues.

Spoilers follow How did the ship stay suspended? Why did the countries of the earth not have tons of military and scientist all over the ship? How could they not have found all those aliens weapons "so carefully hidden" all over D9? Why didn't they hide in ship and immediately take off as soon as they found the liquid? Why didn't they extract it in the safety of the underground ship?

Ejunior2 & Trevor:

While, those are all good questions, it doesn't bother me that they all go unanswered. In this movie, we are just thrown into the middle of things. So I expected to be a little lost. The sequel will surely expand the scope of this universe and probably answer most questions. If something in the sequel contradicts anything we've already seen, then we can officially call them plot holes. But for now, we have too little information. So we have to speculate. But I think that's part of the fun.

For example:

Why did the countries of the earth not have tons of military and scientist all over the ship?

They arrived years ago. For all we know, the ship has already been picked clean.

How did the ship stay suspended?

In Star Wars terms, I think the "repulsor-lifts" still work, but they need the black stuff for the "hyperdrive."

Two things really, 1) how does this black rocket fuel or whatever it is that powers the entire ship also turn humans into prawns and 2) how would Christopher know that the fluid would do that to a human which he obviously did when he first saw Wilkin's mutated arm.

It appeared to me that the prawns' technology has a biological aspect to it. Like the goo you stick your hands into to control the ship or the weapons having to interface with the prawns' DNA in order to work. Maybe, the fuel is alive and interacts with the user.

RD1973
08-19-09, 11:21 PM
Saw it last night. It was very entertaining but definitely falls short of the 'masterpiece' everyone is claiming it to be. I really enjoyed the actor portraying Wikus and seeing his personality change throughout the film depending on extraneous circumstances.

Marching into MNU and taking the vial back was the biggest :wtf: moment. Also quite a bit splashed on Wikus in the beginning, how did they know there was anything left in the vial? Oh and Chistopher making a bomb to escape in literally 5 seconds with scrap pulled from a table? :lol: That whole bit was very reminiscent of the virus in ID4. Almost as preposterous, but it still held together somehow without totally going off the deep end despite sounding like it in text form.

3 1/2 out of 5

Well, as they were contemplating breaking into MNU, I realized the more realistic decision would have been not to attempt it. They could have stayed in D9 eating garbage for the rest of the movie.

But I also realize that A) That's not the movie I wanted to see, and B) honestly, I would have tried it too. Life in D9 is no life at all.

What made it credible for me is that Wikus had alien weapons and an alien genius with him (Christopher is capable of interstellar travel, afterall).

Also, maybe I'm wrong but the way I remember it, Cristopher used a bomb. He didn't make it.

RD1973
08-19-09, 11:24 PM
I just remembered something. Are the prawns chameleons? I remember seeing yellow stripes on some and white writing on others as if they were trying to blend into some of the signs around D9.

Supermallet
08-19-09, 11:28 PM
I don't think they're chameleons, more than likely those are gang colors of some sort or another. Also every prawn had an ID code from MNU on the back of their heads.

grrr
08-21-09, 12:26 AM
This is a rare case where I was okay with that kind of thing...

It's not a great violation of movie protocol, but it's also not an original plot twist or something we haven't seen a thousand times before. The film had a daring premise, but whereas it could've been a bold film like the Proposition, it obeyed convention. And as much as I enjoyed it, I felt my eyes rolling when the colonel paused for a short soliloquy with his gun to Chris's head, giving the aliens just enough time to prevent him from shooting our hero point blank. All of the unlikely plot points that saved the protagonists from multiple instances of certain death struck me as Spielberg-esque.

porieux
08-21-09, 01:52 AM
Here is a FAQ that can help answer a lot of questions people are bringing up.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1136608/board/flat/145381864

District 9 FAQ

I gathered these questions mostly from all the passionate comments on this board regarding plot holes. If these questions come up, you can simply link the original poster to this thread and save yourself a load of time explaining. I hope this FAQ list, although in no means complete, can help some people.

1) What was the mothership? An alien convict ship? An alien slave ship?

The ship was a long distance resource and mineral collecting structure. Blomkamp explains: “Obviously, there's much more of a population on the main planet, but the ships will go out and get the minerals and the ore and whatever resources they need and then bring them all back home.” It is actually part of an even bigger structure. “The other thing is that the ship was meant to clip together with other ships. So there's, like, vast amounts of resources that they're bringing to the parent planet.”

2) Why did the mothership cruise to a stop above Joburg? Did it run out of fuel?

No, the mothership did not run out of fuel. After the queen died, the mothership cruised to nearest life-sustaining planet. Blomkamp explains: “…it was the ship that realized that, unless it gets to a life sustaining planet everything is going to die, which is a cool idea. So the ship just auto pilots to the closest one in the Goldilocks band, and it's our planet and then pulls up and hits the breaks.”

3) What falls off the mothership when it first makes contact with Earth?

The command module to the mothership. In the movie, it is shown to fit into the mothership like a perfect puzzle piece.

4) Why does the command module fall off?

Not explained. There are many speculations, however. Maybe whatever virus, disease, or entity that killed off many of the prawns lead to a malfunction or lack of maintenance in the mothership. Or maybe, when the queen dies, the mothership is programmed stop near a life-sustaining planet and detach the command module so that the worker drones do not attempt to pilot it and get themselves killed or waste valuable resources. Or maybe the mothership was programmed to respond to threats like holes being ripped open in the mothership and detach the command module to save the more valuable, intelligent prawns inside.

5) Why didn’t scientist rip apart the mothership and examine it like they did to countless prawns in the medical labs?

Because unlike the dead prawn subjects, the mothership is a threat hovering
above Joburg. The scientists could not comprehend alien technology. One false move could lead to the entire mothership crashing down upon the populated city.

6) Why doesn’t the military shoot down the mothership? It is a theart.

It is more of a threat when it is a flaming fireball falling upon Joburg. See FAQ #5.

7) Why would the prawns not come out of the mothership for three months if they were malnourished? Did they want to die or something?

The prawns do not operate like humans. They operate more like a hive society. Although with proper leadership they were able to achieve amazing technological feats, without their queen they were simply individual worker drones that were unable to get much organized. Much less make first contact with a new species.

8) How come only the queen (or smarter leaders) died but the less intelligent prawns survived?

The worker drones were more immune to disease because they were bred to be physically tougher, not mentally capable. Blomkamp explains: “And the ship, when the army generals or the queen of that particular ship died off by some sort of virus or bacteria that they picked up on some other planet, that killed them off. And it didn't effect these sort of resilient, hardy sort of drone workers.”

9) Who built the slums in District 9 right over where the command module fell? Very convenient.

The slums were already there. Many people were relocated from the slums when the prawns first made contact, because rights and property for the prawns was a big issue back then. The only change is that District 9 was segregated and walled off from the rest of society. Explained in the introductory documentary style clips.

10) Why did the prawns not resist? Not all of their weapons were confiscated. They would have easily defeated MNU security forces with their superior weaponry.

Yes, they would have. But without their queen, they were unable to band together any form of effective resistance. Blomkamp explains: “Also, it [the hive mentality] sort of explains why they don't turn on the humans. Individually, they may be feeling oppressed, but they don't have it together enough to form a resistance and back one another. So I found that really interesting.”

11) How were the Nigerian forces able to hold gang operations in District 9 when it is secured by MNU?

District 9 was very loosely secured by MNU. This was exemplified in the movie
by prawns able to sneak out of District 9 although they were prohibited and Wikus easily sneaking into District 9 when he was a fugitive on the run.

12) Why couldn’t any prawns help Christopher gather fuel but his friend and his son? Don’t they want to leave?

The majority of the prawns were worker drones. Without their queen simply seeking survival, unable to formulate any sort of plan. See FAQ #7.

13) Well then why was Christopher so special? I thought the queen (or the leaders) all died. And if he was so sharp, why did it take him 20 years to get his stuff together?

A hive is programmed to adapt a new queen or some sort of leader, but after some time after the queen's death, not right away. Blomkamp explains: “There is a subconscious hive mind happening, really what they should do is lay one egg that has a different embryo in it that grows into a Queen or being someone that dictates direction. But I think in the interim, because they may have done that, there may be an egg out there with that, but as that being is growing, I just like the idea that he may have been a lot more directionless in the beginning. But the hive structure of their society may just pick one or two that starts to become the leader. Like the overall structure of his brain may change because the hive may want that to happen. So he starts having a direction and a goal. Which is an interesting idea and it's just enough to kick start them to be able to get to the ship to get back.”

14) Even so, when Christopher does realize to take action, why are he and his son alone in searching through the heaps of garbage for prawn technology? Why not persuade the rest of the prawn species to help find technology as fast as they can?

Christopher kept his operation extremely secret to ensure that he wouldn't get caught. If caught, he knew MNU agents would confiscate any prawn technology he had no license for, and all of his work would be lost. If he hired hundreds of prawn to help him in his search, at least one would be bound to reveal something to MNU. Hundreds of prawn suspiciously rallying back and forth between a single shack would be a spectacle quite hard to miss. He let one of his trusted friends help him in his search, and even that was dangerous, as shown by the prawn who gets shot in the beginning of the film.

15) Even so, why search through garbage for prawn technology when he could just borrow it from dozens of his friends that have been selling prawn weaponry to the Nigerians?

Christopher probably did not require the materials that constituted prawn weaponry in order to make the fuel. And even if he did, he already obtained all the prawn weaponry he needed because dozens of weapons were shown to be stashed in his shack. He was probably searching for different prawn technology outside the category of weaponry.

16) Why couldn’t Christopher just jack a chopper and fly the mothership away?

The mothership cannot be flown without the command module.

17) Christopher says he needs the fuel to fly the mothership away yet little CJ pilots the mothership from the command module without fuel. What’s that all about?

The mothership already had fuel. See FAQ #2. The fuel Christopher was gathering for 20 years was for the command module. The command module pilots the mothership like a remote control can pilot a toy car. It can also pilot highly armed mech suits.

18) If the mothership needs fuel so badly, how is it hovering above Joburg for two decades? Plot hole!

Once again, the mothership already has fuel. See FAQ #2.

19) So this fuel magically transformed Wikus into a prawn? Very convienient.

The biological goo-like substance containing alien DNA powered most of their technology, such as their weapons and the command module to the mothership. It is based off of prawn DNA, so if exposed to internally, it can actually alter another species’ DNA to integrate that of a prawn.

20) How in the world do Wikus and friends talk to prawns?

The prawns have lived integrated with human society for over 20 years. Because the new species was so heavily impactful, many humans must have learned to understand the prawn language in that time period. Especially hired MNU workers serving as ambassadors between the two species. It is important to note no species learned to speak the other's language, only understand it. Humans did not speak prawn, but they understood it. Prawns did not speak human, but they understood it.

21) Why three years?

No explanation. I guess this is the amount of time Christopher needs to make a round trip to his planet and then back to Earth, with some sort of species saving in the middle.

22) What was the point of attempting to put fuel into the command module and fly up to the mothership if the tractor beam could have just picked it up all along?

The command module controls all of the technology on the mothership. Without fuel in the command module, Christopher would not have been able to activate the tractor beam in the first place.

23) How was the fuel that transformed Wikus' DNA into prawn DNA supposed to fix him? Why won't Christopher just fix him right away? Why wait three years?

Contrary to popular belief, Christopher was not going to use the fuel to fix Wikus. He states that he was going to use the "medical machines" aboard the mothership to fix him. However, the command module controls all of the technology on the mothership, including the medical machines. See FAQ # 22. The reason Christopher did not want to fix Wikus right away is also stated in the movie. He did not want to waste the command module's fuel activating anything besides what was absolutely necessary to get them back to their home planet.

24) What were those scorpion-like creatures duking it out in the little arena? Those definitely weren't from Earth. Are they baby prawns?

They were not baby prawns. Actually, they were the prawn equivalent of pests or rodents found aboard the mothership.

25) Why didn't the rest of the world powers step in to organize and take control of the prawn situation? After all, this is first contact, a worldwide historical event.

As historical as the event is, it does not change the fact that the mothership landed in South African territory, which legally leaves the prawn situation in South Africa's control. To take control of the prawn situation, a nation would have to invade a Democratic state, losing favor on the global scale.

26) I don’t like the main character. He aborted alien babies. He threatened to take Christopher’s kid away. He hit Christopher with a shovel or a gun or something. He killed innocent MNU agents. He’s a jerk!

Okay.

Sources:
District 9 the movie
District 9 imdb trivia section
http://io9.com/5331799/district-9s-director-tells-us-all-about-his-alien-back-story

Groucho
08-21-09, 08:06 AM
I was hoping the kid would exclaim "this is UNIX!" before using the ship's computer.

Michael Corvin
08-21-09, 08:32 AM
Well, as they were contemplating breaking into MNU, I realized the more realistic decision would have been not to attempt it. They could have stayed in D9 eating garbage for the rest of the movie.

But I also realize that A) That's not the movie I wanted to see, and B) honestly, I would have tried it too. Life in D9 is no life at all.

Not exactly what I was getting at. Getting the vial is essential, I understand that. I found it absurd that you have this giant MNU corporation dealing with these aliens and one walks in the front door and proceeds to just march down 12 stories to steal exactly what they need with no interruptions. Only until they got the vial were they conveniently attacked, cue cool escape sequence!

Also, maybe I'm wrong but the way I remember it, Cristopher used a bomb. He didn't make it.

That may be but I'm pretty sure Christopher actually said (via subtitles) that he was going to make a bomb. He grabs the shit on the table, they run out the door and voila, instaBomb.

The Bus
08-21-09, 09:01 AM
I was hoping the kid would exclaim "this is UNIX!" before using the ship's computer.

:lol:

And while I liked the movie a lot and think Blomkamp is going to do amazing things, it's a bit odd that a huge FAQ is needed to make sense of the movie when it was so straightforward in a lot of ways (this isn't Eraserhead).

Draven
08-21-09, 10:21 AM

And while I liked the movie a lot and think Blomkamp is going to do amazing things, it's a bit odd that a huge FAQ is needed to make sense of the movie when it was so straightforward in a lot of ways (this isn't Eraserhead).

After reading the FAQ, the only thing I learned was a couple of nitpicky things that didn't need to be explained. Everything else I understood from the movie itself.

For example, the question about how the ship has hovered for 20 years. I didn't think about that at all. They made it very clear the fuel was for the small ship, I didn't think for a moment that the big ship was out of fuel too.

That's like someone asking Han Solo to explain the hyperdrive before he uses it. Sure there might be an explanation (and one has been given in the non-movie materials) but it's not necessary for the story.

project86
08-21-09, 11:52 AM
I feel bad for the guy who got his cellphone stolen. He wasn't very popular was he? The only person that called the phone was his wife and who knows how she got the number!

But really, this was my favorite movie this summer. I'm glad Halo didn't get made and I hope they don't continue with it since this was a hit.

devilshalo
08-21-09, 12:32 PM
I found it absurd that you have this giant MNU corporation dealing with these aliens and one walks in the front door and proceeds to just march down 12 stories to steal exactly what they need with no interruptions.
If anything.. I would think most of the security resources were out looking for Wikus. I doubt they expected him to show up at MNU. And that one could compare MNU to the prawn hive... a bunch of peons that were escaping a building under terrorist threat.

I feel bad for the guy who got his cellphone stolen. He wasn't very popular was he? The only person that called the phone was his wife and who knows how she got the number!
Wikus had probably left a message to call that number.

HistoryProf
08-21-09, 05:54 PM
caught a matinee of this today and have to say it's easily the best movie i've seen at the multiplex in a long long time...just riveting from the first frame and a ton of fun along the way. For those complaining it was illogical, I'm not sure how to respond...one of D9's overall strengths was the story in addition to the fantastic alternate reality it was set in...great story, great aliens, smart writing, awesome alien guns...what else could you ask for?

The best part is it is 10 times the movie Transformers 2, T4, or any of the other big budget fuck ups this year at a fraction of the budget. I hope hollywood pays attention to that part...a good story goes a long way.

HistoryProf
08-21-09, 06:14 PM
Another case I am sure of doing a negative review to get attention.

eta:

http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1897/armondwhiteisntinsane.jpg

is that real? seriously? I knew he was a self righteous contrarian jagoff, but i didn't realize it was THAT bad. what a moron :lol:

RD1973
08-21-09, 06:28 PM
Not exactly what I was getting at. Getting the vial is essential, I understand that. I found it absurd that you have this giant MNU corporation dealing with these aliens and one walks in the front door and proceeds to just march down 12 stories to steal exactly what they need with no interruptions. Only until they got the vial were they conveniently attacked, cue cool escape sequence!

That may be but I'm pretty sure Christopher actually said (via subtitles) that he was going to make a bomb. He grabs the shit on the table, they run out the door and voila, instaBomb.

Well in reality, most of the employees would just run away scared like they did in the movie. And it would take security some time to get to Wikus and Christopher. Plus, they have the element of surprise. Getting in wouldn't be the problem. The problem would be getting out.

As for the bomb, I'm pretty sure he just bundled some alien grenades together.

The only eye-rolling parts were that Wikus' password to get into the different rooms still worked. And that a car with unlocked doors and the key in the ignition was waiting for them in the garage. But I let that stuff go. I've seen it so many times, I'd probably be thrown off if it didn't happen.

RD1973
08-21-09, 06:43 PM

After reading the FAQ, I realized that pretty much all my assumptions were correct. Its all there in the movie. You just have to be paying attention.

Also, do people really come up with these huge lists of potential plot-holes as they watch a movie? Unless a movie is just garbage (TF 2), I just assume this is the way it went down. Things could have been done differently. But this is the way it turned out. I don't second guess every move a character makes. It seems to me that some people go into a movie to nit-pick everything.

porieux
08-21-09, 08:47 PM

I wouldn't say it's needed, it's for people who have questions or want to know more.

AnonomusBob15
08-24-09, 12:08 AM
finally saw it and really liked it. Had a lot more dramatic punch then I expected, so that came as a surprise, but the film overall was great science-fiction. Definate purchase.

Troy Stiffler
08-24-09, 12:35 AM
Good movie. A lot of it worked well. But there was plenty of 'glossing over' going on. A lot of build up and exposition seems like it was cut (whether or not it was ever filmed).

It's strong point was how ... matter-of-fact sci-fi ... it was. We're introduced after the fact that aliens came to earth. And most everything is just happening during regular life. There weren't mystical occurances. The aliens needed our help. Seems mostly original to me.

Superboy
08-24-09, 02:17 AM
I thought the biggest, most glaring plot hole was that the alien computer displayed english characters and numbers.

superdeluxe
08-24-09, 03:10 AM
So question in the end

Does wikus still maintain his intelligence? Or is a drone like the others?

project86
08-24-09, 05:35 PM
So question in the end

Does wikus still maintain his intelligence? Or is a drone like the others?

I think he did, I mean he made a flower for his wife, and since they mention at the beginning that he made his own gifts for her... well at least we know he's got his memories.

Numanoid
08-24-09, 06:12 PM
So question in the end

Does wikus still maintain his intelligence? Or is a drone like the others?No reason to believe he doesn't have his full human intelligence. And why would the fuel make him a drone, necessarily, and not a leader?Do we really need to still use spoilers?

Numanoid
08-24-09, 06:14 PM
After reading the FAQ, the only thing I learned was a couple of nitpicky things that didn't need to be explained. Everything else I understood from the movie itself.Same here. It's all pretty straightforward and requires just a bit of imagination and inter/exterpolation by the viewer to fill in the gaps. Why does everyone always need every little detail spelled out for them?

superdeluxe
08-24-09, 06:36 PM
No reason to believe he doesn't have his full human intelligence. And why would the fuel make him a drone, necessarily, and not a leader?Do we really need to still use spoilers?

part 1: I dunno, because he was digging around a garbage pile, although his ability to make a pretty flower out of aluminum should have pointed me out. I wonder, if Wikus is smart enough to lead the drones heh.

Part 2: I don't think so..but people kept on using it sooo..?

Michael Corvin
08-24-09, 07:36 PM
He is also still intelligent enough to locate his [ex?]wife to deliver the flower and not get caught.

ChineseCheckers
08-26-09, 12:31 AM
I liked this movie.

My only gripe comes from one of the earlier scenes where the humans first enter the ship to find all those sick prawns. Many of the scientists and military people weren't even wearing masks, let alone full hazmat suits when first contact is made. I mean a common bacteria to the prawns could have been potentially catastrophic to the human race.

Trevor
08-26-09, 08:00 AM
I liked this movie.

My only gripe comes from one of the earlier scenes where the humans first enter the ship to find all those sick prawns. Many of the scientists and military people weren't even wearing masks, let alone full hazmat suits when first contact is made. I mean a common bacteria to the prawns could have been potentially catastrophic to the human race.

Or vice versa.

Solid Snake
08-26-09, 03:46 PM
I just saw it today. As film major...I was freaking out. I won't say it's groundbreaking cuz it's not...I think, it's just a very very "original" film (note the quotations please). The effects were amazing. Yes, there are scenes were I can tell it's CGI but what film doesn't have that with CGI? I will admit though some shots I couldn't tell if that's an animatronic or very good CGI or part suit. Loved the Mech sequence.

It's a damn fine film for sure. The suspense was great. Wikus was a very very naive and weak man that grew from his own selfish, yet very serious, desire to later be a good man in the end. Sharlto Copley totally was great as Wikus. Really cool to hear that all his dialogue was improvised.

I kinda want to say that Christopher was well acted. Loved the little Prawn son (I don't think he was ever named was he?). It's easy to see that Christopher isn't a drone or worker bee type. He's a smart guy..er Prawn. Based on my own knowledge of South Africa it seems to be about correct the way things are and were handled. Specifically the Nigerians, some people are just like that and it wasn't too far fetched it's just very uncommon to see or hear about here in the US.

Overall...I give it an A-. Can't wait for D10 if there is one.

kms_md
08-26-09, 07:18 PM
IIRC, the director is on record saying all the aliens are CGI.

Michael Corvin
08-26-09, 07:54 PM
I know it won't happen since it's a summer blockbuster, but Sharlto blew me away as Wikus and I'd love to see him get an Oscar nod instead of the ho hum pool of players they always draw from.

And Christopher's son was given a name at some point, IIRC. Something like Jonathan, I think.

Solid Snake
08-26-09, 09:23 PM
Was he? cool...

That's some fine CGI for those aliens, on 30 million dollars budget too! I too think Copley should get nominated. That was some great acting by him.

Baron Of Hell
08-26-09, 09:24 PM
IIRC, the director is on record saying all the aliens are CGI.

That is very odd because he also said all the aliens were played by the same person. Maybe they did it like they did Gollum in LOTR.

Solid Snake
08-26-09, 09:36 PM
Yeah, that guy's name is Jason Cope btw. Son of some author called Jack Cope. Never heard of either. Wikipedia says he plays Grey Bradnam and all speaking aliens

mdc3000
08-26-09, 10:10 PM
And Christopher's son was given a name at some point, IIRC. Something like Jonathan, I think.

Nope - they don't ever say his name... Christopher Johnson is the full alien name and maybe that's where you're getting the jonathan from...but they never do name the son in the movie (just saw it a fourth time tonight!)

Solid Snake
08-26-09, 10:18 PM
See that's what I thought. I mean, it didn't matter if he had a name or not. The child was illegal anyway MNU didn't know about him.

solipsta
08-30-09, 11:57 AM
Saw this last night in a pretty busy theatre. I hadn't read much about it, and it turned out very different from what I expected of it. I loved most of it, and was able to ignore the things I didn't. I loved how the main character evolved so much throughout the movie. Near the end, with the flashbacks to his interview, was almost shocking in how much he had changed. I'd see the sequel. ;)

OldBoy
09-03-09, 02:33 PM
utterly amazing! best film i have seen in a few years. without conflictions and hesitations.

i was simply in awe the entire movie. eyes wide open every second. i went through a spectrum of emotion. this movie harnessed everything i love about movies and presented in one package.

i am just in shock still. i really didn't know what to expect except that i heard it was an exceptional sci-fi movie. it transcended merely sci-fi and became a symphony of genres as i witnessed a thriller, suspense, horror, love, action in a tight little absolute gem of a movie.

more than once i was overwhelmed by emotions that at what i was witnessing was something i haven't seen in a long time. it was starkly original in a way that took very familiar elements and presented them differently then i have seen in quite awhile. grounded in the belief that something like this could actually happen and has happened, though not quite in this way of course. the societal themes were evident, but not crammed down your throat.

Sharlto Copley should get nominated for this performance. he was fantastic and carried the movie on his shoulders without even a pause of no confidence.

i never expected to feel warmth and a genuine feeling of heart ache and remorse for what we did to the aliens. i wanted them to survive, i wanted them to get home. i never thought i could feel as much as i did for Christopher and his son.

i loved it. i simply loved it and teared at the end. best movie of the summer, best movie in years. hands down. this was a remarkable piece of filmmaking from Blomkamp and i hope to see more from him and more of this story or pre-story!

JumpCutz
09-03-09, 02:50 PM
So you're saying you liked it? -wink-

OldBoy
09-03-09, 03:01 PM
So you're saying you liked it? -wink-

a bit ;)

Michael Corvin
09-03-09, 03:25 PM
Nope - they don't ever say his name... Christopher Johnson is the full alien name and maybe that's where you're getting the jonathan from...but they never do name the son in the movie (just saw it a fourth time tonight!)

Apparently it's Oliver. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090819161909AAFt5yz) But no, it's not given in the movie.

RD1973
09-04-09, 04:38 AM
I just read over at AICN that District 10 is definitely coming. The studio wants it and Blomkamp wants to do it too. It will most likely be a sequel but there is also a slight chance it might be a prequel.

Also, Blomkamp is absolutely not doing Halo, but he seems ok that Spielberg is.

dino88
09-04-09, 04:52 AM
^It can't be called District 10 if it's meant to be a prequel, right?

Solid Snake
09-04-09, 08:51 AM
I just read over at AICN that District 10 is definitely coming. The studio wants it and Blomkamp wants to do it too. It will most likely be a sequel but there is also a slight chance it might be a prequel.

Yeah, I asked that earlier and and it was confirmed about the Halo thing...how sad.

islandclaws
09-04-09, 12:42 PM
I'm ok with a sequel; I just hope it gets done right because there are so many ways it could go. District 10 is a terrible title, though. I hope that doesn't stick because it doesn't even make sense.

Groucho
09-04-09, 12:47 PM
District 9 2: 92

OldBoy
09-04-09, 01:46 PM

3 years from the setting of 9 could be pretty cool and make way for the return of both the heroes.

project86
09-05-09, 12:12 AM
I'm ok with a sequel; I just hope it gets done right because there are so many ways it could go. District 10 is a terrible title, though. I hope that doesn't stick because it doesn't even make sense.
The end of the movie states that they've moved the prawns to District 10, it would make perfect sense.

RD1973
09-05-09, 12:36 AM
^It can't be called District 10 if it's meant to be a prequel, right?

Blomkamp seemed more interested in a sequel and he (jokingly) called it District 10 in the interview.

islandclaws
09-05-09, 10:02 AM
The end of the movie states that they've moved the prawns to District 10, it would make perfect sense.

Did they call the new camp District 10? I only recall them saying the Prawns were moved, not the name of the facility.

covenant
09-05-09, 11:21 AM
Did they call the new camp District 10?

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9689985-post377.html

islandclaws
09-05-09, 01:43 PM
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/9689985-post377.html

Well, gee, thanks for that. I said I didn't remember they called it District 10; I wasn't disputing whether he was right or not.

I suppose it's not such a bad title after all.

Senor Javi
09-05-09, 03:29 PM
Yeah, for sure they mentioned that the new facility was called District 10. I just saw this yesterday and I was very disappointed in this movie given all of it's praise. Original? Yes, but nothing is particularly good besides it's premise and most of the effects. The film really could not be more heavy-handed or clumsy in force-feeding you its message. Big, shadowy government agency / private company who lies to the masses and kills whoever gets in their way and only cares about financial gain. Christ, aren't there literally hundreds of movies that follow this exact same yarn? Bonus points for also depicting the shadowy group as carrying out illegal scientific experiments and having weaponry as their primary motivation.

The villains could not have been more one-dimensional or cardboard dull. Of course the father-in-law / nondescript shadowy agency bigwig was going to be totally evil with no redeeming qualities and would coldly and without hesitation order the murder of his son-in-law and condemn his daughter to misery for money. Very pedestrian stuff right here. Also the head solider was ludicrously over-the-top to the point of unintentional comedy. Did Blomkamp think for a second that we wouldn't understand that he was a psychopath? Apparently this was a danger because after slaughtering a bunch of prawns he says something to the effect of "I can't believe I get to do this for a job!" I had to suppress laughter at this point and several others because its so unbelievably poorly done.

There is another small, but worth-noting part that perfectly exemplifies my problem with the movie and it is the scene when the shadowy agency forces Wikus to fire the alien gun. Wikus asks for his wife and a man in a white coat (the international symbol for scientists) says "**** your wife!" Why would he say that? It was totally unprovoked, doesn't help the situation, and is not a way that I think most people would conduct themselves in such an important situation. So why did he say that? Because he's a bad guy (like 99% of everyone working for a big company or the government ever are bad) and bad guys are mean in every situation ever. It's not a big thing by any means, but it shows how the movie overstates its thesis at every bend.

Much is made of District 9's social commentary and the apartheid stuff and social effects are interesting, but the government / shadowy corporation weapon / money bit plays out like every hokey political thriller out there. And being that the film is so pervasive in its shouting down to you it makes the movie endlessly disappointing. And for everyone who is about to chastise me for disliking "one thing," this "one thing" is its spine. The entire tone of the film, the central plot, and a number of characters all converge on this one element. Because Blomkamp was set on yelling his message as opposed to being more subtle, every element suffered severely.

RD1973
09-05-09, 06:40 PM
Yeah, for sure they mentioned that the new facility was called District 10. I just saw this yesterday and I was very disappointed in this movie given all of it's praise. Original? Yes, but nothing is particularly good besides it's premise and most of the effects. The film really could not be more heavy-handed or clumsy in force-feeding you its message. Big, shadowy government agency / private company who lies to the masses and kills whoever gets in their way and only cares about financial gain. Christ, aren't there literally hundreds of movies that follow this exact same yarn? Bonus points for also depicting the shadowy group as carrying out illegal scientific experiments and having weaponry as their primary motivation.

The villains could not have been more one-dimensional or cardboard dull. Of course the father-in-law / nondescript shadowy agency bigwig was going to be totally evil with no redeeming qualities and would coldly and without hesitation order the murder of his son-in-law and condemn his daughter to misery for money. Very pedestrian stuff right here. Also the head solider was ludicrously over-the-top to the point of unintentional comedy. Did Blomkamp think for a second that we wouldn't understand that he was a psychopath? Apparently this was a danger because after slaughtering a bunch of prawns he says something to the effect of "I can't believe I get to do this for a job!" I had to suppress laughter at this point and several others because its so unbelievably poorly done.

There is another small, but worth-noting part that perfectly exemplifies my problem with the movie and it is the scene when the shadowy agency forces Wikus to fire the alien gun. Wikus asks for his wife and a man in a white coat (the international symbol for scientists) says "**** your wife!" Why would he say that? It was totally unprovoked, doesn't help the situation, and is not a way that I think most people would conduct themselves in such an important situation. So why did he say that? Because he's a bad guy (like 99% of everyone working for a big company or the government ever are bad) and bad guys are mean in every situation ever. It's not a big thing by any means, but it shows how the movie overstates its thesis at every bend.

Much is made of District 9's social commentary and the apartheid stuff and social effects are interesting, but the government / shadowy corporation weapon / money bit plays out like every hokey political thriller out there. And being that the film is so pervasive in its shouting down to you it makes the movie endlessly disappointing. And for everyone who is about to chastise me for disliking "one thing," this "one thing" is its spine. The entire tone of the film, the central plot, and a number of characters all converge on this one element. Because Blomkamp was set on yelling his message as opposed to being more subtle, every element suffered severely.

I'm not going to try to convince you that its a good movie. I'll just say that I really enjoyed it because it was rivetting from beginning to end. It really felt like anything could happen to anyone. And that's refreshing. I don't go to movies for their message anyway. I go for a visceral experience, and that's what I got.

As far as the one-dimensional, evil villains, I've given this some thought and ultimately I prefer it this way. If you look at Star Wars, the Darth Vader character has been really diluted by all the character development. You don't hate him anymore, your just kind of ambivalent about him. In the case of the emperor, he's just a sick, evil, old bastard and you completely hate him. It works better.

Solid Snake
09-05-09, 07:18 PM
Actually not a lot of them where bad people. At the end you see some of the people who worked with him tried to tell the true story (can't remember but I think there were others who didn't trust MNU anymore)

Senor Javi
09-05-09, 07:39 PM
Actually not a lot of them where bad people. At the end you see some of the people who worked with him tried to tell the true story (can't remember but I think there were others who didn't trust MNU anymore)

Yeah, the token good guys. I didn't say everyone, I said "like 99%" and it was more of a jab at the movie business as a whole. And still for something like MNU doing what it was it requires an overwhelming evil presence not just one or two guys. It also seemed to me like the vast majority of people that we came across that had anything to do with MNU (of slight importance or better) were evil or at least totally OK with what they were doing. I don't think that the soldiers or doctors were depicted as having any bones about their atrocities and you can't rightly include the ignorant since they were being lied to.

B.A.
09-05-09, 08:32 PM
Finally saw it.

To put it simply: Awesome.

****1/2 out of five.

redskull
09-05-09, 08:51 PM

I thought it was pretty obvious that he was trying to provoke Wikus, hoping he'd squeeze the trigger in anger. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

Draven
09-05-09, 08:55 PM
I thought it was pretty obvious that he was trying to provoke Wikus, hoping he'd squeeze the trigger in anger. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought.

Don't worry. It was obvious to most people.

Senor Javi
09-05-09, 10:19 PM

Don't worry. It was obvious to most people.

It's probably not obvious to me because that's the total opposite from what actually happened in the movie. Wikus, at no point in this scene, pulls the trigger on his own accord. One of the scientist used a long cylinder object (which seemed to be a cattle prod or something similar) to poke Wikus in his upper chest or arm forcing a physical response that caused Wikus to pull the trigger. He did this every time and Wikus actually has a line where he asks the scientist to stop doing it and that he'll pull the trigger himself, but the scientist just shocks him again. I remember this specifically because I found it to be really odd and just chalked it up to trying to make all the bad guys even more sadistic. Interesting to see how something that never happened was so obvious to everyone.

Solid Snake
09-05-09, 10:20 PM
Actually they kept telling him to pull it, Wikus refused, he got shocked. That was obvious.

Senor Javi
09-05-09, 10:50 PM
Actually they kept telling him to pull it, Wikus refused, he got shocked. That was obvious.

Except that's not was he, nor I in my original post, was referring to. He said "I thought it was pretty obvious that he was trying to provoke Wikus, hoping he'd squeeze the trigger in anger. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought." And then someone else said "Don't worry. It was obvious to most people." They were referring to the line "**** your wife" as being a provocation to pull the trigger, not the shocking.

That being said I'm sure that they shocked him before every single time the trigger was pulled. Every single time this was immediately followed be the gun going off. Based on Wikus' reaction, his line about wanting to pull the trigger himself, and a basic understanding of forced physical reactions, this said to me that they were causing the reaction externally (like when the doctor hits you knee to make you leg go up). However, maybe I'm giving the movie too much credit by believing it to be doing one thing slightly above the absolutely lamest thing possible. Not that it really matters. It doesn't have anything to do with my point. It's total nitpicking about my post if I'm even wrong about that fact which I don't think that I am. My objection was that a scientist randomly shouted "**** your wife" as a one-dimensional bad guy thing. And that's a pretty lame provocation anyway if it was. I mean, he did have Wikus tied up and tortured already. Not that this even matters. I specifically mentioned this as the least important part of my post and it isn't going to change District 9 from a bad movie to a masterpiece in my mind.

AnonomusBob15
09-05-09, 11:18 PM
I specifically mentioned this as the least important part of my post and it isn't going to change District 9 from a bad movie to a masterpiece in my mind.

I understand your point, and I do think the film was heavy handed which took away from some of the excitement for me, so I do not think it is a materpiece, nor would I ever call it a bad movie.

to each his own I guess, but there is some middle ground between the two.

OldBoy
09-06-09, 11:34 AM
I understand your point, and I do think the film was heavy handed which took away from some of the excitement for me, so I do not think it is a materpiece, nor would I ever call it a bad movie.

to each his own I guess, but there is some middle ground between the two.

don't think it was heavy handed at all. far from it and that is why it made it so riveting and moving because it wasn't jammed down your throat, but you saw just enough to feel genuine emotion.

Blomkamp even stated in an interview that he didn't want it to be a "message" movie and i don't think it was. just a marvelous thriller, suspense, horror, love, action movie.

Solid Snake
09-06-09, 05:14 PM
don't think it was heavy handed at all. far from it and that is why it made it so riveting and moving because it wasn't jammed down your throat, but you saw just enough to feel genuine emotion.

Blomkamp even stated in an interview that he didn't want it to be a "message" movie and i don't think it was. just a marvelous thriller, suspense, horror, love, action movie.

totally agree.

mndtrp
09-06-09, 06:30 PM

Not to mention that most respected sci-fi has messages throughout, and many of them are way more heavy handed than this film.

Planet of the Apes
The Day the Earth Stood Still
to name a couple. Neither were very subtle.

AnonomusBob15
09-06-09, 08:46 PM
totally agree.

you guys are like a tag team.

I read an interview as well in which the director stated that he didn't want to be preachy, but even though I really liked the movie, I couldn't deny the fact that it was a bit preachy, and that's an opinion, and as i'm not the only one that feels this way, it's not rubbish.

oh, and once again, I really liked this film.

Blu Man
09-06-09, 09:26 PM
So the argument is whether or not the film has a message? Who gives a fuck, it's a good movie. Good story, good characters, good special effects, good acting, good directing, good music, whats not to like?

AnonomusBob15
09-06-09, 09:48 PM
So the argument is whether or not the film has a message? Who gives a fuck, it's a good movie. Good story, good characters, good special effects, good acting, good directing, good music, whats not to like?

I didn't care for the part when they.....

set fire to the shack with the eggs and listened to them "pop like popcorn", meanwhile hearing the little eggs scream and cry as they torch

http://i26.tinypic.com/10r0osm.png

Solid Snake
09-06-09, 10:20 PM
I think that scene just added to how naive and a dick Wikus was. Wikus at that time is a totally different person from what he'd be in the 3rd act. I actually kinda hated him..he does change though and then you give a damn about him.

visitor Q
09-07-09, 12:58 AM
^^ exactly.

Though with my twisted sense of humor I thought the "popping like popcorn" bit was incredibly funny even though it was really despicable and wrong. Actually the majority of the diatribe Wikus was spewing during the whole "relocation" sequence was natural and very convincing (props to his delivery) but it just dug into the hatred I had for this guy during the first act. Good stuff.

Tarantino
09-07-09, 01:38 AM
Saw this tonight and thought it was purely fantastic. I don't normally watch sci-fi movies, but this one surpassed all of my expectations. I also hated Wikus, and at the end I was definitely rooting for him to help the alien get to his ship...but at the same time I did want him to die, because of what he had been doing to the aliens in the first place. I was a little disappointed when he didn't 'get his'.

Great movie.

Solid Snake
09-07-09, 08:06 AM
I think it's kind of a twisted form of karma. For all he was before and what changed him as a person. Also...Wikus is an odd hero for sure. His change is somewhat extreme, in the every sense of the word. He's an odd hero by just how much you hate him and his naiveness and then you pity him and then you root for him. That kind of change in his character is nice. He's probably the only character that I actually cared for who goes through that kind of cycle.

OldBoy
09-07-09, 12:44 PM
you guys are like a tag team.

I read an interview as well in which the director stated that he didn't want to be preachy, but even though I really liked the movie, I couldn't deny the fact that it was a bit preachy, and that's an opinion, and as i'm not the only one that feels this way, it's not rubbish.

oh, and once again, I really liked this film.

no one was slamming your opinion in anyway shape or form (please do not take it as such), just offering a (friendly) dissenting opinion.

james2025a
09-08-09, 01:02 PM
I found this to be a very interesting film and it left me wanting more at the end...how a good movie should leave you feeling. The characters were all good and the "prawns" were done extremely well and you felt charcter from them. For me they were one of the best uses of CGI characters thus far used. They were intricle to the story, had their own agendas and were not simply used to "wow" the audience. The story line was done well and whilst i was apprehensive about the fly on the wall style i feel it worked out perfectly. The hero of the piece was an interesting role to see how a person can develop and overcome due to a fear of losing what is most precious to them. I am going to watch it again this week and see if it holds up on repeated viewings.

devilshalo
09-08-09, 03:13 PM
I think that scene just added to how naive and a dick Wikus was. Wikus at that time is a totally different person from what he'd be in the 3rd act. I actually kinda hated him..he does change though and then you give a damn about him.

Wikus was a tool.. much like Michael Scott is a tool on The Office. They are both characters that walk that fine line of being a total prick to that of being a naive buffoon thinking what they are doing is for the greater good of the company. They are prone to put their foot in their mouth on many occassions and react inappropriately to situations.

Mabuse
09-08-09, 05:32 PM

Much is made of District 9's social commentary and the apartheid stuff and social effects are interesting, but the government / shadowy corporation weapon / money bit plays out like every hokey political thriller out there. And being that the film is so pervasive in its shouting down to you it makes the movie endlessly disappointing. And for everyone who is about to chastise me for disliking "one thing," this "one thing" is its spine. The entire tone of the film, the central plot, and a number of characters all converge on this one element. Because Blomkamp was set on yelling his message as opposed to being more subtle, every element suffered severely.I think District 9 is the best film of its type since Aliens.

And I think it's worth pointing out that Aliens was similarly heavy handed with its evil corporation and Paul Reyser's character and his weapons development motive was by far the worst part of the film. Yet it hasn't held that film back from being revered.

B.A.
09-09-09, 12:02 AM
I think District 9 is the best film of its type since Aliens.I said something similar to my brother-in-law as we left the theater.

He is a huge fan of Blade Runner and Alien/Aliens and thinks it is the most original sci-fi film he has seen in a long, long time.

My dad was hating the film during the first thirty or forty-five minutes. He was cussing at me wondering what in the hell I brought him to, yet I think he liked it by the end.

Gunshy
09-15-09, 11:30 PM
Except that's not was he, nor I in my original post, was referring to. He said "I thought it was pretty obvious that he was trying to provoke Wikus, hoping he'd squeeze the trigger in anger. I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought." And then someone else said "Don't worry. It was obvious to most people." They were referring to the line "**** your wife" as being a provocation to pull the trigger, not the shocking.

That being said I'm sure that they shocked him before every single time the trigger was pulled. Every single time this was immediately followed be the gun going off. Based on Wikus' reaction, his line about wanting to pull the trigger himself, and a basic understanding of forced physical reactions, this said to me that they were causing the reaction externally (like when the doctor hits you knee to make you leg go up). However, maybe I'm giving the movie too much credit by believing it to be doing one thing slightly above the absolutely lamest thing possible. Not that it really matters. It doesn't have anything to do with my point. It's total nitpicking about my post if I'm even wrong about that fact which I don't think that I am. My objection was that a scientist randomly shouted "**** your wife" as a one-dimensional bad guy thing. And that's a pretty lame provocation anyway if it was. I mean, he did have Wikus tied up and tortured already. Not that this even matters. I specifically mentioned this as the least important part of my post and it isn't going to change District 9 from a bad movie to a masterpiece in my mind.

Just caught this film tonight, late in the game.

The way that "**** your wife!" comment from the scientist hit me was, he was sick and tired of having to cut open and experiment on the (mostly) defenseless aliens and if this Wikus guy would just prove that he can shoot the weapons then they could be done with the experimenting and move on (perhaps he knew what the big wigs had in store for Wikus and didn't care/felt it was a bit of payback for sins?). A stretch but that's how I took his anger.

Very interesting film, still digesting all of it with lots of help from this thread :)

-Gunshy

milo bloom
10-26-09, 10:39 PM
Wife and I caught this at the bargain theater over the weekend, and we were both damn impressed. I was able to follow a lot of the concepts, and probably could have speculatively answered a lot of the questions in the FAQ a few pages up myself. And despite the director's intentions, I certainly saw messages, racism/apartheid being only a small one, with the dangers of the military-industrial complex being a really big one for me.

When his arm turned, I thought it was going to get goofy, but it didn't. When he got into the mecha, I thought it would get goofy, but it didn't. I was pretty impressed with the animation of the mecha translating Wikus' detoriating physical condition since I gathered it worked partially via mental commands.

I had to laugh out loud when he launched the pig :lol:

Someone else mentioned Cameron's Aliens and I was thinking, even during the final showdown, that the Wikus in the suit vs the MNU soldiers was like a spiritual sequel to Ripley in the powerloader vs the Queen.

Rival11
12-26-09, 11:07 AM
F****** awesome movie. I think for the first time ever I actually felt for an alien in a film - unreal.

As mentioned previously, the shifts in behaviour\actions from the main character were a nice touch - I still didn't really like him much by the time the film was over but the movie did make me have some sympathy for him. That and the fact that he turned into a damn alien....nasty stuff

And just when I thought this movie was going to down the typical hollywood formula route...it shifter gears in a big way (I'm talking after the MNU break in, the main character NOT turning back to a human, and a couple of other parts).

The effects weren't overdone at all either which is something I like seeing in sci-fi movies as I am not a big fan of them.

What I was not expecting was how raw and brutal this movie was - that shocked the shit of me when I started watching it.

Excellent film - even for those who are not into sci-fi - just watch it - you'll love it.

fumanstan
12-26-09, 01:21 PM
I guess it's just me, but I watched this yesterday as a blind buy on Blu-ray and didn't like it at all. The pseudo-documentary stuff just never sold me from the start, and the first 30 minutes had me bored to tears. It picked up a little bit once Wikus started mutating, but other then some decent action I just couldn't get into the story at all. Probably my biggest disappointment of the year.

The only thing I thought that really stood out was the alien design and effects; they blended in fantastically and they truly amazed me. Fantastic effects work.

Kory
12-26-09, 01:55 PM
I really liked it, but the sound of the aliens talking made me gag a little bit.

naitram
12-26-09, 04:18 PM
I guess it's just me, but I watched this yesterday as a blind buy on Blu-ray and didn't like it at all.

Not just you...I thought it was bad too. Could have been a good flick with the resources they had, but the movie just fell flat on its face due to weak writing. Maybe could have been a good tv series.

I mean it started as a mockumentary and then tried to get serious, but they never established any authenticity for me to feel anything for the characters. Oooh wow puking, pissing, some gross-out effects...insert fake tv broadcastings...now let's throw some heartless PMCs in there to add more conflict...now let the alien find out the truth about human nature...etc etc. And then draw out the conflict to the end by not letting characters get killed even though there were many chances.

Forgettable.

slop101
12-26-09, 05:01 PM
Not just you...I thought it was bad too. Could have been a good flick with the resources they had, but the movie just fell flat on its face due to weak writing. Maybe could have been a good tv series.Being that the movie has a 90% on RT, means that you're mostly alone in your opinion. I could understand not loving the movie, but bad? That's just nutty.

RyoHazuki
12-26-09, 05:10 PM
Being that the movie has a 90% on RT, means that you're mostly alone in your opinion. I could understand not loving the movie, but bad? That's just nutty. While I don't think D9 is a bad movie, I certainly agree that the writing was weak. It's like they started with a good concept for intelligent sci-fi and then tried their best to turn it into an action movie.

Chip718
12-26-09, 05:42 PM
Can someone please answer this for me:

If the mothership was hovering over the city for 20 years because it didnt work, how did the alien Christopher start it up so fast?

Did I miss something?

Supermallet
12-26-09, 05:54 PM
It wouldn't work without the command module, which fell from the ship when it first arrived. Christopher needed fluid from the Prawn's technology to power the command module, and didn't have enough, so he had to collect it slowly over 20 years.

naitram
12-26-09, 05:58 PM
Being that the movie has a 90% on RT, means that you're mostly alone in your opinion. I could understand not loving the movie, but bad? That's just nutty.

I don't follow RT and I've never even been to the site. I'm just posting my opinion, and to me there was far more "bad" than "good" in District 9, so I'll call it a bad movie. Just because some website that's likely frequented mostly by movie-buffs with polling stats that contain many variable factors (just like this site) largely disagrees with my opinion, that's means I'm nutty? Wow, the fans of it actually like it and voice their opinion so, what a shock.

Yes the CG is above average, yes the BR picture looks stunning in parts...but there are many elements even beyond what I posted above that just didn't work. And again it all stems from the writing. Honestly, this could have been a videogame script. There's nothing there - they had a somewhat unique idea (at least this year) that probably made a decent treatment, but when it came to filling 90+ minutes, it failed.

Like I said, the movie failed to establish any authenticity for me. I didn't buy that it was a "documentary", I didn't buy that it was set in the future, and I didn't buy the relationship between the main character and the alien. None of it. Why should I? Because there was hokey, cliched social commentary themes? Oooo apartheid, holocaust, abortion, intolerance, etc., all turned on its head cause now it's against aliens. Dumb. Sorry, it was all intellectually offending like 95% of the other made-for-masses drivel that comes out. At least with some of that stuff it's written well enough that one can escape into it.

This was just a paint-by-numbers production with a bunch of pulled-from-the-headlines/history topics written in to try and be relevant.

fumanstan
12-26-09, 06:12 PM
Being that the movie has a 90% on RT, means that you're mostly alone in your opinion. I could understand not loving the movie, but bad? That's just nutty.

I don't follow RT and I've never even been to the site. I'm just posting my opinion, and to me there was far more "bad" than "good" in District 9, so I'll call it a bad movie. Just because some website that's likely frequented mostly by movie-buffs with polling stats that contain many variable factors (just like this site) largely disagrees with my opinion, that's means I'm nutty? Wow, the fans of it actually like it and voice their opinion so, what a shock.

I'd consider it a bad movie too. I have absolutely no desire to watch it again and will try and sell or give away my Blu-ray. I imagine if you bought into the documentary stuff from the start it works, but since I didn't I ended up thinking the whole story was just hokey and underdeveloped. And i'm not talking about the nit-picky "how is the ship floating" type of questions, but rather the entire relationship between the humans and aliens.

I don't see why everyone has to agree with the Tomatometer. I can't imagine anyone agrees with EVERY single fresh movie on the site. Now THAT's nutty.

Chip718
12-26-09, 06:17 PM
It wouldn't work without the command module, which fell from the ship when it first arrived. Christopher needed fluid from the Prawn's technology to power the command module, and didn't have enough, so he had to collect it slowly over 20 years.

OK. Thanks. I though:

The part that fell from the ship was the other ship that was hidden in the ground

Thanks for clearing that up.

slop101
12-26-09, 06:44 PM
I don't follow RT and I've never even been to the site. I'm just posting my opinion...All RT does is get an average of all reviews out there - they don't pass any judgments themselves - they are purely objective with their consensus.
I'd consider it a bad movie too.Stating your opinion is well and good, and your subjective opinion of not liking it is fine. But calling it a "bad" movie is an invalid objective statement from both of you.

fumanstan
12-26-09, 06:51 PM
Stating your opinion is well and good, and your subjective opinion of not liking it is fine. But calling it a "bad" movie is an invalid objective statement from both of you.

Calling it a bad movie in this case is entirely subjective, not objective. Sounds like you're trying to mix the two here or get ridiculously nitpicky about the terminology. Then again, you also whined about yellow subtitles. :shrug:

milo bloom
12-26-09, 10:21 PM
OK. Thanks. I though:

The part that fell from the ship was the other ship that was hidden in the ground

Yes, they're one and the same.

slop101
12-26-09, 10:31 PM
Calling it a bad movie in this case is entirely subjective, not objective. Sounds like you're trying to mix the two here or get ridiculously nitpicky about the terminology. Then again, you also whined about yellow subtitles. :shrug:Those literally hurt my eyes - that's about as objective as you can get.

Supermallet
12-27-09, 02:07 AM
OK. Thanks. I though:

The ship that fell is the command module, it landed and had a shack built over it, which Christopher was using to hide its existence until he had enough juice to get it running again.

DJariya
12-27-09, 02:31 AM
Watched this as a rental off Netflix. Thought it was a pretty decent sci-fi fantasy.

For a relatively low budget movie shot guerillia style with an entirely no-name cast, I thought the creative team behind this film pulled it off well. I liked the design of the Prawns. Thought they were actually kinda creepy looking in certain instances. I also liked the character of Wikus. It was cool to have a somewhat offbeat lead character. The special effects were pretty solid too and I thought the mother ship looked fantastic.

But overall, I don't think this movie has really any replay value for me. The story was developed really slow and I wasn't really crazy either about the documentary-style filmmaking for the 1st half of the movie and in bits throughout the film. Honestly, the trailer for the movie annoyed the crap out of me during the summer and I was really never sold on it. But, I am glad that I rented it on Blu-Ray, because it looked and sounded great.

Rival11
12-27-09, 09:00 PM
Hmmm, I'm liking all of the bad reviews\comments as I will be watching this movie again this coming weekend.

Obviously really dug it the first time out but I'm curious to see what I will think upon a second viewing.

I can definitely say right away that film was easy for me to get into from the beginning because of what was shown in the first half hour.....meaning if you can get into the mindset of the aliens already being around for 20 or so years and catch why they are unable to leave, and that they do not have "super human strength" by default......maybe that's why I liked it so much and was willing to overlook any possible shortcomings.....we'll see.

The only negative vibe I started to get that was thrown away was the typical "hero factor" summer movie bullshit but even that took a huge turn when it started to go down so It didn't bother me at all.

The main scenes that are still in my head though are the intense ending action shots/drama - really liked that and it never once came off as goofy - thought it was really well done.

candyrocket786
12-28-09, 11:35 AM
Blind buy for me and I thought it was a fantastic film! :D

The effects, story and action were all top-notch.

Definitely hoping for a sequel.

Watch out for the Blu-Ray/DVD tv spot. Damn thing pretty much spoils the film. :mad:

musick
12-28-09, 11:18 PM
just watched this
at one point I felt like I was watching GWAR meets the Tom Green show meets The Fly .....

then it got better....

then the Transformers came on screen

it had some decent moments but nothing I would ever be compelled to revisit

Labor
12-28-09, 11:57 PM
So does every Robot ever = Transformer now or something?

Because the mech in D9 didn't resemble a Transformer in any shape, way or form...

Rival11
12-29-09, 10:09 AM
So does every Robot ever = Transformer now or something?

Because the mech in D9 didn't resemble a Transformer in any shape, way or form...

Agreed - I didn't get a tranformers vibe at all.

fumanstan
12-29-09, 10:17 AM
I can definitely say right away that film was easy for me to get into from the beginning because of what was shown in the first half hour.....meaning if you can get into the mindset of the aliens already being around for 20 or so years and catch why they are unable to leave, and that they do not have "super human strength" by default......maybe that's why I liked it so much and was willing to overlook any possible shortcomings.....we'll see.

Weren't they far stronger then humans? I remember an arm being ripped off entirely after an alien kick.

As for the suit at the end, it reminded me more of some Japanese anime. Or maybe the exo-suit from the Transformers Animated movie. Heh.

Solid Snake
12-29-09, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I didn't get a Transformers vibe at all. I will admit...I do believe that the movement of the suit is more inspired by Japanese anime mecha/exo-suits.

Heat
12-29-09, 10:53 AM
...it had some decent moments but nothing I would ever be compelled to revisit

My thoughts also. This was a $1 Redbox rental for me, I'm glad I didn't buy it.

al_bundy
12-29-09, 11:11 AM
Watched this as a rental off Netflix. Thought it was a pretty decent sci-fi fantasy.

For a relatively low budget movie shot guerillia style with an entirely no-name cast, I thought the creative team behind this film pulled it off well. I liked the design of the Prawns. Thought they were actually kinda creepy looking in certain instances. I also liked the character of Wikus. It was cool to have a somewhat offbeat lead character. The special effects were pretty solid too and I thought the mother ship looked fantastic.

But overall, I don't think this movie has really any replay value for me. The story was developed really slow and I wasn't really crazy either about the documentary-style filmmaking for the 1st half of the movie and in bits throughout the film. Honestly, the trailer for the movie annoyed the crap out of me during the summer and I was really never sold on it. But, I am glad that I rented it on Blu-Ray, because it looked and sounded great.

i read somewhere that at least in our scientific opinion any civilization that has advanced technology needs to look somewhat like humans and have hands like us in order to manipulate objects

never figured out why hollywood keeps feeding us the advanced aliens look like bugs

tylergfoster
12-29-09, 12:10 PM
Anyone who got a copy that didn't like it can send it to me.

OutRun2
12-29-09, 12:49 PM
Pure garbage.

Battlefield Earth and Mars Attacks were better.

clappj
12-29-09, 01:04 PM
Pure garbage.

Battlefield Earth and Mars Attacks were better.

Whatever Travolta!

;)

Rival11
12-29-09, 11:05 PM
Weren't they far stronger then humans? I remember an arm being ripped off entirely after an alien kick.

As for the suit at the end, it reminded me more of some Japanese anime. Or maybe the exo-suit from the Transformers Animated movie. Heh.

Not sure if I caught that arm thing but they were stronger - they just didn't dominate from the beginning and I dug that.

I like how the suit at the end took on the characteristics of the person in it - that was a nice touch.

edstein
12-29-09, 11:32 PM
Just watched this movie tonight on Blu-ray. Fantastic film. I about jumped out of my seat when Wikus lit off that alien weapon for the first time, very cool scene. Neil talks about a second movie in the bonus features. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long.

Blu Man
12-29-09, 11:59 PM
Neil talks about a second movie in the bonus features. Hopefully we won't have to wait to long.

I beleive that he wanted to do another movie before returning to the District 9 universe. I too hope for a sequel but I would like to see Neill make another film first, just to confirm that he is not a one hit wonder.

Solid Snake
12-30-09, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I'd like to see what else he can do.

Abob Teff
12-30-09, 10:50 PM
Watched this a few nights ago -- W-O-W!

Yes, it did get a little cliche in some places; but to accomplish this movie for a fraction of the cost of other "bigger" movies makes it that much more impressive. I don't think that there was a single spot where the visual effects faltered.

Most of the story "problems" that I saw pointed out were explained or could be ... except I do have one (and maybe I'm simply remembering wrong) -- early in the film I thought that they said there were about 1.8 million aliens, but then at the end they stated that 2.5 million aliens were relocated. Am I simply mis-remembering this?

Solid Snake
12-30-09, 11:37 PM
It was the amount of prawn that are currently at District 10....and that it was growing.

Rival11
01-01-10, 01:13 PM
Ok so I gave it a re-watch and I like it even more.

I'm sorry but the looks on the faces of the prawns before some of them get executed and how hopeless they come off really, really gets to me.

Another scene that hits me hard is when the main alien is explaining to his son that they can no longer go home but will be given a nice tent to live in instead while you know the whole time it will be even worse living conditions.

And the film just breezes by for me as well - very tight, well made movie.

Fumanstan - yes, I see what you mean now by their strength - I guess I overlooked all of that originally but without their weapons....they can only do so much I guess.

As much as I like it and as observant as I am to other peoples opinions; I still can't see how anyone who doesn't like it can say it's a terrible movie.

fumanstan
01-01-10, 05:13 PM
Fumanstan - yes, I see what you mean now by their strength - I guess I overlooked all of that originally but without their weapons....they can only do so much I guess.

As much as I like it and as observant as I am to other peoples opinions; I still can't see how anyone who doesn't like it can say it's a terrible movie.

Oh definitely, I know what you mean about their strength as even with it, they're still at the mercy of humans with their standard guns.

As someone that thinks its a terrible movie, I guess it really depends on how much you buy into the situation from the start. Since I hated how it flipped between the documentary style and out of it, as well as didn't believe the relationship between the humans/aliens, I pretty much went the whole film thinking the premise was kind of silly.

Michael T Hudson
01-02-10, 03:00 PM
Just watched this for the first time. It was amazing. I liked it so much more than Avatar. Probably the best blind buy ever for me.

Abob Teff
01-03-10, 12:04 AM
It was the amount of prawn that are currently at District 10....and that it was growing.

From 1.8 million to 2.5 million in less than a week? (I've only watched it once so far, but I'm pretty sure the whole movie happened within a week.)

Solid Snake
01-03-10, 12:13 AM
Wikus' story and from when the people talking about the event take place isn't within a week. Not sure how long but it wasn't a week.

Labor
01-03-10, 12:25 AM
After rewatching this, I felt this was more of a Verhoeven-ish kind of sci-fi flick. Over the top gore and pretty exploitive.

Wasnt surprised to hear the director is a huge fan in an interview after rewatching.

Deftones
01-03-10, 10:15 AM
Didn't see it in theaters. Watched the Blu-Ray. Loved it.

Abob Teff
01-03-10, 04:53 PM
Wikus' story and from when the people talking about the event take place isn't within a week. Not sure how long but it wasn't a week.

D'oh! My mind was simply stopping the timeline at the end of the action. We know it was less than 3 years (Christopher had not returned) ...

Still, I would think it would take a considerable amount of time for a population to increase by almost 40% (granted we do not know the timeline of the Prawns' reproductive cycle -- again, doubtful that it is fast since the eggs are hooked up to decaying carcasses for sustenance).

LickTheABCs
01-25-10, 06:44 PM
Sharlto Copley has uploaded close to 200 behind the scenes photos to his facebook (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=144258&id=108950282368). Just a quick heads up.

Solid Snake
01-25-10, 07:57 PM
Damn...a lot of cool stuff.

PopcornTreeCt
01-25-10, 08:13 PM
Watched this the other night and thought it was okay. It was pretty good but it was too hyped for me. The documentary style + special effects kinda got boring for me. I also found scenes and plot points a bit cliche in parts, which was disappointing as the story itself was pretty original.

harrydoyle
01-26-10, 11:56 AM
Lick, thanks for that. Awesome man! I'm going to swing over and check all those out on my lunch break.

RocShemp
01-26-10, 02:03 PM
I didn't really care for it. I was too dull for me to ignore how contrived and predictable it all was. At least came with a demo for GoWIII. :shrug:

kaycee
09-14-10, 01:57 PM
Man, this one took a while to get going, but it was so worth it when it finally did. A very deliberately paced build up, with a great pay off. And a lot of original ideas, in my opinion. Nothing I really feel the need to own, but I'm really glad I saw it. Nice to see a sci-fi movie outside the realms of your typical Washington DC stuff.

covenant
09-14-10, 02:44 PM
Nice to see a sci-fi movie outside the realms of your typical Washington DC stuff.

:confused:

clappj
09-14-10, 02:49 PM
Nice to see a sci-fi movie outside the realms of your typical Washington DC stuff.

Are you sure you're not confusing District 9 with John Sayles' Brother from Another Planet?

Yavin
09-14-10, 03:07 PM
Maybe he's just been watching too much Independence Day.

BJacks
09-14-10, 03:36 PM
Kaycee has been bumping months old threads for the past week or so (six old South Park threads just today in TV Talk). The cynic in me thinks it's to build up a quick post count so he can begin spamming for something.

MrSmearkase
09-14-10, 04:37 PM
Kaycee has been bumping months old threads for the past week or so (six old South Park threads just today in TV Talk). The cynic in me thinks it's to build up a quick post count so he can begin spamming for something.

He (or she) is past the 30 post count already, though. I just think they have a Starz subscription, because most of the movies bumped have been in heavy rotation on that network for at least month. Nothing wrong with catching a flick, and bumping it's thread, right?

Solid Snake
09-14-10, 04:50 PM
:confused:

yeah...wtf is wrong w/ some of you people? Leave personal (fake or otherwise) agendas out of here...

dx23
09-14-10, 04:53 PM
Man, this one took a while to get going, but it was so worth it when it finally did. A very deliberately paced build up, with a great pay off. And a lot of original ideas, in my opinion. Nothing I really feel the need to own, but I'm really glad I saw it. Nice to see a sci-fi movie outside the realms of your typical Washington DC stuff.

Do you work for Del Monte?